What's new

Why ain't we had a female Guest?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Nope, literally phrased it as a question. Again there's lots of guest character that can make money that haven't been used, so there was a potential insinuation that the reason we haven't got a female guest is because they don't make money.

And there's plenty of money makers they could chose beyond those 3
Thank you to @BecomingDeath13 for responding initially to all of this.

At no point did I say a female guest character wouldn't make money. I simply stated that NRS/WB choose their guests based on whatever makes them the MOST money.

Mileena was added as DLC because she is MASSIVELY popular - bottom line. In this case, adding some bum like Dairou instead of her would make absolutely zero sense.. Was she a guest? No, but the point remains the same.

Money is all that matters. If someone wants to tell me that Buffy the Vampire Slayer would outsell a character like Jason Vorhees, they're just being ignorant. It is a case by case basis. If NRS had to choose between Buffy and someone like that wolf guy from that Tell Tale game that was suggested at some point, they'd choose Buffy every time.

It's nothing to do with gender, it's popularity and how well they fit into the MK universe.

Thank you to @BecomingDeath13 for responding initially to all of this.

At no point did I say a female guest character wouldn't make money. I simply stated that NRS/WB choose their guests based on whatever makes them the MOST money.

Mileena was added as DLC because she is MASSIVELY popular - bottom line. In this case, adding some bum like Dairou instead of her would make absolutely zero sense.. Was she a guest? No, but the point remains the same.

Money is all that matters. If someone wants to tell me that Buffy the Vampire Slayer would outsell a character like Jason Vorhees, they're just being ignorant. It is a case by case basis. If NRS had to choose between Buffy and someone like that wolf guy from that Tell Tale game that was suggested at some point, they'd choose Buffy every time.

It's nothing to do with gender, it's popularity and how well they fit into the MK universe.
You said - The bottom line when it comes to guest characters is simple - will it make money? If the answer is no, then that's why they haven't been a guest character.

If female characters can make money why bother adding this? I was completely rational in what I inferred from your words and even phrased it as question. If that's not what you meant that's fine but it's questionable.

Buffy was hugely popular, whether she make more than someone else I do not know, but guest characters aren't just about money, there's plenty of names more popular and known than Spawn.
Leatherface was not a huge name around MKX release. Ghostface would be a huge name right now but seems we're getting superheroes instead, so your sentence was a oversimplification.

and I just remembered Buffy got more votes than Terminator in Ed Boon's guest poll

CipherJ

Noob
Lilith is the best female guest I can think of right now. Diablo 4 is one of Blizzard's best selling games at launch and she fits MK perfectly in theme.

She seems like a reincarnation of Kerrigan, but I think she would sell well and could even get Diablo fans interested in MK.

Just getting Blizzard to agree would be the trick.

Attachments

Last edited:

Temptress

Edenian Empress
You said - The bottom line when it comes to guest characters is simple - will it make money? If the answer is no, then that's why they haven't been a guest character.

If female characters can make money why bother adding this? I was completely rational in what I inferred from your words and even phrased it as question. If that's not what you meant that's fine but it's questionable.

Buffy was hugely popular, whether she make more than someone else I do not know, but guest characters aren't just about money, there's plenty of names more popular and known than Spawn.
Leatherface was not a huge name around MKX release. Ghostface would be a huge name right now but seems we're getting superheroes instead, so your sentence was a oversimplification.

and I just remembered Buffy got more votes than Terminator in Ed Boon's guest poll
This. If people are seriously under the impression characters like Robocop, Spawn and others would make more money than the likes of Harley Quinn (hell, she was one of the most played characters in IJ2 and left Joker for dust) or arguably even Buffy in this modern climate, they are deluded. Majority of the current player base (Gen Z & youngest millennials) either do not know or do not care about these retro film/horror characters; they exist only to pander to a very tiny fraction of the fanbase, most of which now have kids & full-time careers with little to no time for video games.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
This. If people are seriously under the impression characters like Robocop, Spawn and others would make more money than the likes of Harley Quinn (hell, she was one of the most played characters in IJ2 and left Joker for dust) or arguably even Buffy in this modern climate, they are deluded. Majority of the current player base (Gen Z & youngest millennials) either do not know or do not care about these retro film/horror characters; they exist only to pander to a very tiny fraction of the fanbase, most of which now have kids & full-time careers with little to no time for video games.
If the WB financial situation hasn't impacted possible WB dlc I absolutely see Harley coming up mk1

Temptress

Edenian Empress
I’m not sure either has enough brand recognition. Alita would be cool, but I find Selene a bit boring.

I think the best they could do would be Xena, Buffy, or Beatrix Kiddo.
As much as I love Selene, I agree regarding the brand recognition. However, I think she would be successful with the caveat that Kate Beckinsale reprised her role via being the face (and body) model and voice actor.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I'd still love Lady Shiva. She's literally the perfect female guest character that is actually plausible. She's extremely over-powered as considered to be the best martial artist in the DCU & able to read body language to anticipate her opponent's actions (like her daughter Cassandra Cain). Being an assassin-for-hire & her history with working with heroes like Batman, Black Canary & Robin (Tim Drake), she can work as an ally (Hired by Johnny Cage?), as a villain or to simply to test her skills. Also if NRS has Kelly Hu on retainer, she can voice her like she did in Batman: Soul of the Dragon & Batman: Arkham Origins.

I'd personally make her the 2D version of Vanessa Lewis from Virtua Fighter 5, a stance character with a defensive stance & aggressive stance with sabakis in her defensive stance.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
I remember seeing this on Reddit:
i have no idea who is that supposed to be, even tho the title got mentioned. now compare that with the likes of homelander or robocop. that alone should answer the to´s question.

the only "recently" "popular" female role in term of action movie/ip which is kinda known would be battle angle alita movie version but beside of that i dont recall any movie in the recent years with someone as popular as homelander or even omni man.

Temptress

Edenian Empress
i have no idea who is that supposed to be, even tho the title got mentioned. now compare that with the likes of homelander or robocop. that alone should answer the to´s question.

the only "recently" "popular" female role in term of action movie/ip which is kinda known would be battle angle alita movie version but beside of that i dont recall any movie in the recent years with someone as popular as homelander or even omni man.
Harley Quinn is just one example and she's more popular than all those you mentioned combined. Also think many MK fans are completely out of touch with the modern player base; they either don't know or don't care about characters like Robocop, Rambo or Spawn that pander to the demographic of older millennials that represent a tiny fraction of players nowadays. I'm not even that young (mid 20s) and I had no fucking clue who Robocop was, sorry.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★

Rayne only has had a niche cult following even at the time when the first two games were released 20 years ago along with a completely dogshit movie series shortly afterwards. BloodRayne 1 & 2 were great games, there are some decent remasters that you can get from the Terminal Cut & most recently ReVamped. It's a pretty good series but it was never that big to begin with & that's pretty much my only issue with adding Rayne. It's like suggesting Joshua Fireseed from Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, not many people under the age of 30 would even know who that is or what Turok is.

Harley Quinn is just one example and she's more popular than all those you mentioned combined. Also think many MK fans are completely out of touch with the modern player base; they either don't know or don't care about characters like Robocop, Rambo or Spawn that pander to the demographic of older millennials that represent a tiny fraction of players nowadays. I'm not even that young (mid 20s) and I had no fucking clue who Robocop was, sorry.
Jeez I'm 27 & I've known of RoboCop, Rambo & Spawn since I was like 3 & everyone knows Rambo & was good cross promotion as Last Blood was released at the same time as MK11 & like Terminator, Alien & Predator is massively popular IP that is so iconic that it will continue to last through the decades. RoboCop even had a modern remake that was popular but personally it was nowhere close to being as good as the 1987 original. There's been talks about having Spawn in an NRS game I think as far as MK9 or IGAU. Spawn is one of the most popular original adult targeted comic series ever that wasn't created by Alan Moore, Garth Ennis or Neil Gaiman & before Amazon Prime not many people would even know what The Boys & Invincible are when Spawn had a TV show, a movie & a handful of his own video games along with SoulCalibur II (best SC) in which he was dogshit in.

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Another female guest character from DC that is actually plausible, Punchline who I think might be a better fit in Mortal Kombat than Harley Quinn. She's Harley Quinn's replacement except she's a dark, far more cold-blooded & violent (Shot Catwoman in the back after slitting Harley's throat) along with far better combat skills. She's more manipulative (like the Joker) but she's more methodical & lacking any compassion unlike Harley Quinn. She's far stronger physically & mentally than Harley as Punchline's blend of Joker Venom has Scarecrow's Fear Toxin & Bane's Venom. She's one of the most popular new comic book characters in the last 20 years, has a mini-series at the moment.

Last edited:

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Xena and The Bride from Kill Bill still seem like they'd be the most plausible. Ellen Ripley could work, although I typically think of her more as a survivor/tough person than a warrior/fighter.
I'd bet Lucy Lawless would totally be down to do it & Robert Tapert the creator of Xena (who Is actually Lucy Lawless' husband) would allow it but would Universal allow it is the big question.

Beatrix Kiddo however, Quintin Tarantino has been vocal for his distaste for video games in the past which is probably why Reservoir Dogs is the only one of his films to become a video game (it's really bad).

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I'd bet Lucy Lawless would totally be down to do it & Robert Tapert the creator of Xena (who Is actually Lucy Lawless' husband) would allow it but would Universal allow it is the big question.

Beatrix Kiddo however, Quintin Tarantino has been vocal for his distaste for video games in the past which is probably why Reservoir Dogs is the only one of his films to become a video game (it's really bad).
Money talks louder .... always :p

If the deal is fair and good for both parts, can happen easily :D