What's new

"Who's Next?" What does it mean? Discuss!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Can't believe after reading through this thread no one thought of this yet...well here's my theory on the "who's next?" Slogan.

Liu Kang: Villian/New Fire God?

Liu Kang is in fact not dead, nearly killed by Raiden, everything that he believed in and entrusted in as the former champion of Mortal Kombat was thrown out the window after he was thought to be betrayed by the god of thunder, he followed and believed in raidens teachings, until he begun to notice everyone he cared about was dying all because of Raidens weird visions, towards the end of MK9 Liu seen Raiden as a mad man, and the reason for his death along with kitana and others...my theory is Kang will return and his main target will be to kill Raiden, and anyone who stands in his way will be targeted as well.

Who's Next?:

Well all these years Liu Kang was regarded as the champion of Mortal Kombat, but seeing to the recent events unfolding in MK9 Liu Kang has gone rogue, so a new champion will have to come forth and take his spot. A majority of the cast was killed off towards the end of MK9, So this gives NRS good room to work with for introducing new, as well as former characters to the series, something that I'm pretty excited for. We have gone almost 2 decades with the same faces returning to the series, its time for a change...time for a new generation of Mortal Kombat!

Honestly, from what happens in the story mode... especially with what Raiden tells Liu about JC "He's destined for greatness" or some such, don't remember the exact quote...

I bet JC is the new MK champion.

Honestly, from what happens in the story mode... especially with what Raiden tells Liu about JC "He's destined for greatness" or some such, don't remember the exact quote...

I bet JC is the new MK champion.
I remember which part you referring to. I think that was basically him saying "Yeah I know this guy is a chode but he's totally cool brah".

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I remember which part you referring to. I think that was basically him saying "Yeah I know this guy is a chode but he's totally cool brah".
Well, he's also still alive.

Actually who all is left on the Earthrealm side? I know Raiden, Cage, Sonya, and Liu (for now, but for this theory he will go to the dark side) Who else?

Can't believe after reading through this thread no one thought of this yet...well here's my theory on the "who's next?" Slogan.

Liu Kang: Villian/New Fire God?

Liu Kang is in fact not dead, nearly killed by Raiden, everything that he believed in and entrusted in as the former champion of Mortal Kombat was thrown out the window after he was thought to be betrayed by the god of thunder, he followed and believed in raidens teachings, until he begun to notice everyone he cared about was dying all because of Raidens weird visions, towards the end of MK9 Liu seen Raiden as a mad man, and the reason for his death along with kitana and others...my theory is Kang will return and his main target will be to kill Raiden, and anyone who stands in his way will be targeted as well.

Who's Next?:

Well all these years Liu Kang was regarded as the champion of Mortal Kombat, but seeing to the recent events unfolding in MK9 Liu Kang has gone rogue, so a new champion will have to come forth and take his spot. A majority of the cast was killed off towards the end of MK9, So this gives NRS good room to work with for introducing new, as well as former characters to the series, something that I'm pretty excited for. We have gone almost 2 decades with the same faces returning to the series, its time for a change...time for a new generation of Mortal Kombat!
If true I hope Liu's fire powers look and feel more spectacular to reflect his new godhood, showing that he has become more than just a strong human with supernatural powers.

Now that I think of it, Steven Seagal could totally be Earthrealm's new champion.

YES YES YES. I've said it so many times… They should get a license for him.
He'll be the first true grappler of MK after all...

Remember the movie where he gets a pool ball and places it into a towel to create a melee weapon? Fatality n.1

Don't think Who's Next has to do with in game characters, I think it will have to so with Mortal Kombat X's marketing campaign outside of the game, they may be holding events or a MK10 tournament.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Can't remember/too lazy to find the earlier post, but I agree with them that its possibly just a tribute to the classic head to head trash talk of beheading your opponent, then popping off with a "Who's Next!?". Especially feel that way considering the spinal cord being there in the background, its just screaming in reference to a Fatality.

As for my opinion of the cast and story, heres what I'd absolutely love to see, as a fan of MK since day 1:

For the Story mode, pick up exactly where MK9 left off, and allow it to continue along with characters being killed off, returning or staying dead, and new (i.e 3d characters) ones introduced to the reboots story. It was by far a thrill to play through the mode several times, and still to this day I can go over to YouTube and get lost in watching every cut scene over and over again. Great Story, I wish to see it continue.

As for playable characters, bring em all back. If they are dead, and do not return in the Story mode, just keep em in their traditional outfits or whatever, and we'll go from there. If they happen to come back in the Story mode, then of course we will have a new look for them (zombie, undead, whatever), and possibly go back to the traditional look (MK9 or earlier) for alternate costumes.

This way the Story can continue as its going now, with Sindel having a huge K/D/A count and people being dead, yet allowing us fans of the series/tournament players the chance to play everyone, regardless of if they happen to be alive in the current story or not. The only thing i'd hate to see though, is having all of these great characters, but then having some of them feel a bit flat. Thats just me though, i'm sure it won't be an issue =P

There's no reason not to the the X on next gen consoles, it's like drinking diet Soda.

I will not play MKX unless I have an Xbox One, and Xbox One runs on DEDICATED SERVERS.

#TYBG

nah.

injustice is already on ps4. why wouldnt mk10 be full next gen?
I meant that given the time it would take to develop (if they haven't started already) it will be their first title to be available only on next gen. Injustice is on PS4 but it is most definitely a port.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
At most I think it's something along the lines of "who's next to be shown/announced?".

Lets see...MK9 endings had:

Havik
King Jerrod possessed Ermac
Shinnok
God Liu Kang
Bo Rai Cho
Fujin
Cyber Shao Kahn (lol)
Kano 2.0 controlling armies
Werewolf Nightwolf
Kabal 2.0
Lin Kuei leader Sektor

Maybe a few other weird things.
Now, who was that lady from Jade's ending?

aj1701

Noob
No; many of the dead characters are far too popular to leave dead (and it'd be really nice to have some MKs where not only do the characters remain but their moves are more or less unchanged too, so its not a whole new game each time).

As far as the 3D games go, pretty much all of the characters suck. The only 3D era character that has potential is Shinnok but the rest are either completely ridiculous or a pallet swap with different moveset.

Actually, most of the other stuff added in 3D (weapons) sucked too, so hopefully they'll leave it out.

Im PUMPED that a new MK is coming out the only problem is i don't have an x1 or ps4 :-(

Also i don't think i can handle the months of waiting for character reveals
Didn't they say it would be on PS3 and X360 as well? Anyway.... Get it for PC!

EDIT: Just realized that my reply was to a comment that was made before this information was known. My bad!

Last edited: