What's new

Who are the biggest winners and losers of the patch?

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I can't defend his language or delivery, but he is completely right in this video imo.
He just isn't "sorry to say it". Despite saying he does, he clearly doesn't "want" to like the game. In fact he has be crusading against liking the game to such the degree that it's hard not to not auto tune out anything he says, especially when much of it has been peppered with so many questionable outrages over things found in almost every game, or been disagreed with. He insults, and trivializes everyone along the way, and a lot of the time the very people he seems to be trying to convince of something.

I can get that it's hard to see armor break as being much more than a kind of there mechanic, but he is basically a solid example of why a zealot is worse for a cause than better.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3

you guys don't think joker's the winner here?

he got one of the arguably best armor breaker in the game. hits in almost every scenario regardless of screen position.

He just isn't "sorry to say it". Despite saying he does, he clearly doesn't "want" to like the game. In fact he has be crusading against liking the game to such the degree that it's hard not to not auto tune out anything he says, especially when much of it has been peppered with so many questionable outrages over things found in almost every game, or been disagreed with. He insults, and trivializes everyone along the way, and a lot of the time the very people he seems to be trying to convince of something.

I can get that it's hard to see armor break as being much more than a kind of there mechanic, but he is basically a solid example of why a zealot is worse for a cause than better.
He’s literally just the other side of the coin.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I can't defend his language or delivery, but he is completely right in this video imo.
Why hot take? He's 100% right.
Armor breaks add another layer of depth to some juggles. They are not designed to be anti-juggles in every circumstance, which is apparently how Cherny perceives them because he wants to be able to do b+3 after EX teleport with Scorpion.

I am not suggesting that armor breaks need no polishing for some characters. They do, but I believe some players misunderstand their intended function. I am using V2 Kitana who cannot lunch to take advantage of the armor break and V2 Robocop who lacks an armor break in this variation, yet I see no reason to insult the developers.

Winners: Spellmaster Shang, Raiden and people who like the game

Losers: Liu, Johnny and random variations that weren't changed while everyone else got buff
People have been telling me that Raiden is worse now because there is a gap between b+1,2 and electric burst. How did he improve?

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021

I am literally informing you with firsthand knowledge that he wants to like the game. (Same here.) Chernyy and I are on a first-name basis lol. We don't only talk on TYM. That's all. :p

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The biggest losers from this patch might be PC players since they patched out the unlocker tool... :oops:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Oh I get the grind part but the fact that you can unlock stuff others have to pay for with real money, that's unfair isn't it.
I think you still had to pay for any of the paid dlc. I know I paid for it. I just like having instant access to all of the skins, player cards, brutalities, and other stuff that are locked behind insane restrictions.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
People have been telling me that Raiden is worse now because there is a gap between b+1,2 and electric burst. How did he improve?
B12 is -8 and I think has enough pushback that he should be able to avoid being full combo punished if he just stops at the B12. He also still has his Electric Fly cancels to add a slight wrinkle.

F32 now ends in an overhead, Storm Cell can't be broken out of until the third hit, his projectile got slightly better, his F1 (the staff poke move) has a much better hitbox now. His 2+4 follow up on B31 is slightly better and actually comes out on block.

He might not have improved quite as much as first thought, but he's certainly improved.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
B12 is -8 and I think has enough pushback that he should be able to avoid being full combo punished if he just stops at the B12. He also still has his Electric Fly cancels to add a slight wrinkle.

F32 now ends in an overhead, Storm Cell can't be broken out of until the third hit, his projectile got slightly better, his F1 (the staff poke move) has a much better hitbox now. His 2+4 follow up on B31 is slightly better and actually comes out on block.

He might not have improved quite as much as first thought, but he's certainly improved.
You can ND after b1 for whatever follow up though right?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Raiden's F2 is also plus on block now. His 321 string is now plus 6 on block, although there's a gap after the 2 large enough to drive a truck through.

B W1zZ

Noob
That's mainly Tom Brady spewing nonsense saying Raijin sucks because Geras can flawless block electric burst after B12 and crouch block B12 1+3 to make it whiff, even though you don't have to cancel B12 into 1+3 or electric burst, and he has several other strings where electric burst cannot be flawless blocked. All of his other changes combined more than make up for that one minor inconvenience, but most Raiden players seem to think B12 is Raiden's only string lol.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
They ARE a fucking idiots though since they didn't even test what they released. Scorp's armor break is near useless.
People paid for MK11 so that should be enough motivation for NRS to test their stuff before release.
It doesn't matter how offended they are because someone called them idiots(which they are...or more like incompetent)
they should do their job properly.
I typically leave my emotions at the door when offering criticism. There is constructive and destructive criticism. The dude in the video could have just as easily pointed out the flaws without the insults. I used to work in customer service 20 years ago. The fastest way to get no service, regardless if the company is wrong, is to start making insults at the workers. Being an ass is certainly not going to motivate someone like me to make something good happen for the person who is acting like an entitled piece of shit.

I agree with the sentiment in the video, don't get me wrong. I just would have gone about it differently.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Biggest Winners - Sindel Recon Lovers as the reton has been proven to be fucking awesome!

Biggest Loosers - The people of #JusticeForKotal... having a broken back do not seem so bad now huh?

; )

M2Dave

Zoning Master
That's mainly Tom Brady spewing nonsense saying Raijin sucks because Geras can flawless block electric burst after B12 and crouch block B12 1+3 to make it whiff, even though you don't have to cancel B12 into 1+3 or electric burst, and he has several other strings where electric burst cannot be flawless blocked. All of his other changes combined more than make up for that one minor inconvenience, but most Raiden players seem to think B12 is Raiden's only string lol.
I got my information from Cherny. LOL. But thank you for clarifying.

Does anyone know why Cassie is supposed to be better?

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
Armor breakers should have been universal moves. Locking them to certain variations or just outright awful moves that you can't even capitalize on (Jax's Clap, Noob's Push :confused:) makes it feel as if the change doesn't even matter for a lot of characters. Adding some of those moves to the universal kit wouldn't have been a bad idea, or new strings/buttons entirely but everyone still locked down inside so I'll cut them some slack. Maybe it's just because I don't really play KL anymore so if someone who does has more insight into why this change is somehow better than the alternative above i'll gladly hear it out.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
His main buff was supped to be the b12 neutral mind game of high risk high reward. There is no mind game when you can mash out it. That was the buff he needed. Extended hit box on f1 and plus f2 are nice, but they're not going to change anything. This cannot be intentional. How are you not seeing this?
I thought making B12 safer was the big one. It'd be nicer if it was completely safe, but as far as I know B12 by itself is not full combo punishable, so that's at least an improvement and gives TW a bit more safety. And he also got a slew of other buffs that makes the rest of his mid-screen game much better.

Seems like everyone focused so much on breakaways and completely forgot that these armor breaking moves also work as meaty against Fatal Blow wake up.
Right? I've blown up so many geras and noob saibot fatal blows in the last 24 hours with Kitanas ass. It's really getting a work out.

But the most satisfying thing to come out of this mechanic was destroying a hidden picked, Terminator with terminate and running man. The guy had no idea, was decimated and then raged quit.

someone has to hit hard and cherny's the only one that actually puts the work in to put out hard hitting takes. he don't sugarcoat and while some of his ideas may be arguable he applies some logic. just because people are too sawft to hear the word doesn't mean it shouldn't be said. if he came across as nice in all of it then it would just be ugh this cherny guy making another complaint video. now it's cherny complaint video but now he talks shit about the game and people who play it. the only real benefit to scorpion's b3 is that it's faster and now he's got better mix. wouldn't have to worry about blowing fatal blows up on wakeup if they didn't come out instantly (had a super flash) and were actually death on block at all times (didn't have goofy variances and 0 pushback)