What's new

Question - Sub-Zero Which Sub-Zero variation will you main?

Which Sub-Zero variation will you main?

• Total voters
the parry might be better in a lot of matchups if it has a fast startup. Ice clone will still have that proximity so even though it is just 1 or 2 frames, it wont let you get out of frame traps like a parry could(if it is also 1 or 2 frames).

the parry might be better in a lot of matchups if it has a fast startup. Ice clone will still have that proximity so even though it is just 1 or 2 frames, it wont let you get out of frame traps like a parry could(if it is also 1 or 2 frames).
your thoughts about cryomancer?

your thoughts about cryomancer?
He seems to have better normals or specials moves that can act as normals. The ice clone usually beats characters who rely heavily on footsies, but sometimes there are some characters who rely on footsies but also happen to have something to get around the ice clone, I think cryomancer will be useful in these matchups. Cryomancer also seems to be more rushdown oriented, so when subzero has to get in and can't play lame, that is when cryomancer will come into play.

S

Subzeeros

Anyone have any idea what his more offensive styles will be? I think for me I wanna focus on that one with a mix of Grandmaster. I think since it has weapons Cryomancer would be the more offensive one? I'm pretty sure the one with glowing mask is his most defensive style correct?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Still too early to form any kind of factual knowledge, but here is my initial opinion..

Clone vs Parry:
Parry is A LOT of risk. Clone is little to no risk. Clone also is of of the safest ways to wake up off the ground. Without clone, Sub-Zero will have no way to get off the ground safely.

Clone also offers traps and many ways to hit the opponent into the clone. EX Slide still has armor, so I assume that I'll find a few ways to use that do put opponents into the Clone like I did in MK9.

Clone also makes opponents feel trapped. As the get worked into a corner, they feel the pressure to at least attempt to get over Sub-Zero and reverse positions. This often times forces players to over commit and get punished for it.

Clone completely nullifies footsies. The ONLY person playing footsies will be you. Clone also SAFELY slows down the most powerful offensive characters in the game. This allows you to play defense safely as well as open up you offense.

Finally... His X-Ray is at this point in time looking like it is a parry. Using a parry style already has opponents looking for a parry in general. Very little chance of any kind of X-Ray setup landing. Clone can be very frustrating for opponents. They want to throw a party when they finally get to mount some offense, this can free up an X-Ray (should you need it). You have to understand... Opponents spend so much time running away from SZ or trying to chase him, all this time having to deal with clone be it a corner trap or trying to advance on SZ. When opponents FINALLY get a chance to hit buttons without having to worry about clone, they tend to get really happy. This could set up X-Rays..
This is why Brady is one of my favorite players.

Looking forward to leveling up b/c of you again in MKX. :)

He seems to have better normals or specials moves that can act as normals. The ice clone usually beats characters who rely heavily on footsies, but sometimes there are some characters who rely on footsies but also happen to have something to get around the ice clone, I think cryomancer will be useful in these matchups. Cryomancer also seems to be more rushdown oriented, so when subzero has to get in and can't play lame, that is when cryomancer will come into play.
I hear that people see better normals in the other variations, but the best normal I have seen so far was in Grandmaster.

Notice this normal string at 13:29:
It is the best normal I have seen thus far..

You guys are forgetting that the Clone is not just a lame out tool, its also offensive. When you have opponents trapped in the corner and they cant move, you can now unload with a flurry of offense. In open space, opponents cant just throw out proximity normals to keep you out because they must respect the threat of the Clone. The Ice Clone makes it hard for opponents to approach or keep you out. This is why the best way to fight SZ was to run away and zone all day. Its because in a footsies battle, you cant stop him from approaching nor can you approach him.

Clone also gives you option selects. It gives you the ability to attack the opponent and if your attack hits, you can hit confirm into Ice Blast for a combo. If your attack is blocked, you can block confirm and cancel into Ice Clone, allowing you to safely get your distance. Clone will also give you a pretty safe way to wake up off the ground. Without Clone, you will be using Parry/Slides to wake up.

Last edited:
I hear that people see better normals in the other variations, but the best normal I have seen so far was in Grandmaster.

You guys are forgetting that the Clone is not just a lame out tool, its also offensive. When you have opponents trapped in the corner and they cant move, you can now unload with a flurry of offense. In open space, opponents cant just throw out proximity normals to keep you out because they must respect the threat of the Clone. The Ice Clone makes it hard for opponents to approach or keep you out. This is why the best way to fight SZ was to run away and zone all day. Its because in a footsies battle, you cant stop him from approaching nor can you approach him.

Clone also gives you option selects. It gives you the ability to attack the opponent and if your attack hits, you can hit confirm into Ice Blast for a combo. If your attack is blocked, you can block confirm and cancel into Ice Clone, allowing you to safely get your distance. Clone will also give you a pretty safe way to wake up off the ground. Without Clone, you will be using Parry/Slides to wake up.
Grandmaster is also the version with the clone right? I noticed in that video that subzero seems to have more versatile normals now, like the low kick and the kick that looks like his f4 overhead in mk9, it seems they made that into a very useful fast normal, it might even be his main normal string and im pretty sure it is at leat a mid or else an overhead. I feel like grandmaster will be the most used subzero and the parry would be more of a utility and seems useful in matchups like kung lao in mk9.

also looking at the video it seems like the x ray is a parry? I think it would be great if they like made it so that some xrays had multiple properties. In mk9 subzero and smoke had x rays you could hold and release. They should remove the armor on smokes xray and make it so when smoke holds his xray, it becomes a projectile parry and when he releases it, it will be a fast teleport. Subzero could hold his x ray and it would be a parry and if he releases it, its armor will activate and turn into mk 9 x ray.

S

Subzeeros

Does anyone have all the pictures of the the three different styles of sub in this game. I like to know what they all look like just what his costumes look like.

also looking at the video it seems like the x ray is a parry? I think it would be great if they like made it so that some xrays had multiple properties. In mk9 subzero and smoke had x rays you could hold and release. They should remove the armor on smokes xray and make it so when smoke holds his xray, it becomes a projectile parry and when he releases it, it will be a fast teleport. Subzero could hold his x ray and it would be a parry and if he releases it, its armor will activate and turn into mk 9 x ray.
Actually, if you look at 14:04 in the video above, I think it might do just that. SZ seems to activate his xray and holds it, and then when Dvorah attacks him she gets frozen. But then, he doesn't attack right away--he holds the xray for another second and then releases it as an attack. This is more delayed than in this video at 9:54:

It seems to me like his xray is actually an attack, but it freezes people who attack him while the xray is held.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
The one where you just freeze and uppercut like in MK1, what wassup? Do something lol. I'll probably use the Cryomancer&Grand Master.

Grandmaster, not even close.

I might play around with the other two styles casually, but I plan to main his ice clone-based variation. Even if it turns out to be his worst, most low-tier variation. (Which seems unlikely at this point, from what I've seen.) I don't even care.

We've seen some footage of each and chimed in with our speculation and excitement. So far it looks like most people are strongly leaning towards the Grand Master variation at the exclusion of all others, so I'm curious how people would officially answer this.

Which variation are you planning on giving the most time and practice to?

EDIT: Wasn't sure how I was going to answer this myself (Cryomancer only, or Cryomancer plus Grand Master), but I figure I'll probably practice both and switch it up when I get bored. The Unbreakable variation really doesn't interest me, however.
You main THE CHARACTER bruh.

It's too early for this right now. Depends on frame data, move properties + other considerations and also will probably depend heavily on matchups.

To be truly effective you might need to play all variations of your character when the MU or situation calls for it, and pre-committing to one/certain styles ahead of time doesn't make much sense.
^ exactly. But the characters alltogether i'm not sure will have "bad" matchups with these variations. The hard part is BALANCING it.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!

Speaking of ice clone I posted a thread about him being able to detonate the clone.

Your thoughts Sir Brady?

S

Subzeeros

I like it. I like that I can still detonate the Clone to inflict damage when the opponent is just barely in front of, behind, or tries to jump over the Clone.
You can detonate the clone? That's gdlk.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I like it. I like that I can still detonate the Clone to inflict damage when the opponent is just barely in front of, behind, or tries to jump over the Clone.
Well, I guess what I was asking is it indeed a detonation...or something else? Just figured if anyone on this board knew it would be you.