What's new

Question - Sub-Zero Which Sub-Zero variation will you main?

Which Sub-Zero variation will you main?

• Total voters

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
We've seen some footage of each and chimed in with our speculation and excitement. So far it looks like most people are strongly leaning towards the Grand Master variation at the exclusion of all others, so I'm curious how people would officially answer this.

Which variation are you planning on giving the most time and practice to?

EDIT: Wasn't sure how I was going to answer this myself (Cryomancer only, or Cryomancer plus Grand Master), but I figure I'll probably practice both and switch it up when I get bored. The Unbreakable variation really doesn't interest me, however.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I'm torn. First Reptile is my main and Sub has always been my back up.

I choose Unbreakable & Grandmaster. I am more of a defensive player than offensive player.

Ice Clone and Ice Parry all day.

Feels like he's missing special moves...

Like if I choose Grand Master, I'm only going to have Ice Ball, Slide, and Ice Clone??

Did he at least get one other special move to replace Ice Puddle? 3 Specials seems quite anemic.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Feels like he's missing special moves...

Like if I choose Grand Master, I'm only going to have Ice Ball, Slide, and Ice Clone??

Did he at least get one other special move to replace Ice Puddle? 3 Specials seems quite anemic.
Don't forget about stage interactables and enhanced moves.

Overall though. I'm sure he will more than 3 special moves...well in MK 9 he only had 4 if I'm not mistaken so.....

trufenix

bye felicia
Uh also the game isn't even remotely done yet, he might still get puddle or port or nugget or shake or any number of his other moves back

Still too early to form any kind of factual knowledge, but here is my initial opinion..

Clone vs Parry:
Parry is A LOT of risk. Clone is little to no risk. Clone also is of of the safest ways to wake up off the ground. Without clone, Sub-Zero will have no way to get off the ground safely.

Clone also offers traps and many ways to hit the opponent into the clone. EX Slide still has armor, so I assume that I'll find a few ways to use that do put opponents into the Clone like I did in MK9.

Clone also makes opponents feel trapped. As the get worked into a corner, they feel the pressure to at least attempt to get over Sub-Zero and reverse positions. This often times forces players to over commit and get punished for it.

Clone completely nullifies footsies. The ONLY person playing footsies will be you. Clone also SAFELY slows down the most powerful offensive characters in the game. This allows you to play defense safely as well as open up you offense.

Finally... His X-Ray is at this point in time looking like it is a parry. Using a parry style already has opponents looking for a parry in general. Very little chance of any kind of X-Ray setup landing. Clone can be very frustrating for opponents. They want to throw a party when they finally get to mount some offense, this can free up an X-Ray (should you need it). You have to understand... Opponents spend so much time running away from SZ or trying to chase him, all this time having to deal with clone be it a corner trap or trying to advance on SZ. When opponents FINALLY get a chance to hit buttons without having to worry about clone, they tend to get really happy. This could set up X-Rays..

Last edited:

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Still too early to form any kind of factual knowledge, but here is my initial opinion..

Clone vs Parry:
Parry is A LOT of risk. Clone is little to no risk. Clone also is of of the safest ways to wake up off the ground. Without clone, Sub-Zero will have no way to get off the ground safely.
Was it confirmed that either player was able to throw Sub-Zero's clone?? I heard or read that somewhere a day or two ago... Seems fishy.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Subby is one of my favorite char on MK, but in the last MK9, I really don't get into is defensive clone game so, I'm really excited to play a more rushdown game with him and I'll probably try the Cryomancer style.
But I'm really interested to try the other styles as well and see what fit better to me.

S

Subzeeros

Clone vs Parry:

Clone also offers traps and many ways to hit the opponent into the clone. EX Slide still has armor, so I assume that I'll find a few ways to use that do put opponents into the Clone like I did in MK9.

Clone also makes opponents feel trapped. As the get worked into a corner, they feel the pressure to at least attempt to get over Sub-Zero and reverse positions. This often times forces players to over commit and get punished for it.

Clone completely nullifies footsies. The ONLY person playing footsies will be you. Clone also SAFELY slows down the most powerful offensive characters in the game. This allows you to play defense safely as well as open up you offense.

Finally... His X-Ray is at this point in time looking like it is a parry. Using a parry style already has opponents looking for a parry in general. Very little chance of any kind of X-Ray setup landing. Clone can be very frustrating for opponents. They want to throw a party when they finally get to mount some offense, this can free up an X-Ray (should you need it). You have to understand... Opponents spend so much time running away from SZ or trying to chase him, all this time having to deal with clone be it a corner trap or trying to advance on SZ. When opponents FINALLY get a chance to hit buttons without having to worry about clone, they tend to get really happy. This could set up X-Rays..
I'm interested in what variation will be the most offensive type, any speculation on which style it'll be? I'm pretty sure it's gonna the ice weapon version but I wonder how his frame data is gonna look in that version. I'm also really curious to know how fast his high low mix up will be cause I don't want him going back to being fuzzy guarded. I'd also like it if all his moves where hit confirmable.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I guess i'm the only one who REALLY wants to see what that parry situation is then huh :)
And the Ice Aura. I want to know what it does.

I like what they all "look" like. Ice weapons def. give me the nice funny feeling inside. Clone also is looking good as well.
I hope he has good frames and good normals.

Is it here yet?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I guess i'm the only one who REALLY wants to see what that parry situation is then huh :)
And the Ice Aura. I want to know what it does.

I like what they all "look" like. Ice weapons def. give me the nice funny feeling inside. Clone also is looking good as well.
I hope he has good frames and good normals.

Is it here yet?
ice aura nullifies chip

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's too early for this right now. Depends on frame data, move properties + other considerations and also will probably depend heavily on matchups.

To be truly effective you might need to play all variations of your character when the MU or situation calls for it, and pre-committing to one/certain styles ahead of time doesn't make much sense.