What's new

Which NRS title had the best community sagas?

Which NRS game spawned the best community storylines?

• MK9

Votes: 58 56.9%
  • Injustice

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • MKX

Votes: 11 10.8%

• Total voters

Espio

Kokomo
I keep hearing shit about the Nightwing community, what was so bad abou them?
Let me put it to you this way. Chongo and I played Nightwing versus Hawkgirl all the time and we both tried to teach people how to play the match up and were told that none of Nightwing's options work versus her. Granted, she does win, but a lot of them said and stuck to him having no options versus her and it being 8-2 or 7-3.

This was one of the many examples of "lol, did all the maniacs migrate to one character" moments.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
MK9. Injustice.

MKX has spawned a lot of new faces but it essentially killed all of the communities. GGA... gone. Console Combat... gone. ATL's Scene... gone. Socal's scene... gone. This is not a jab at the game but I just think most people are playing it bc it is the most current game and they feel like they HAVE to play it.
MKX is a distant last with inj and mk9 tied for first imo for this reason.

There used to be scenes, and locals, and dank feuds, great forum rivalries and tons of great threads... MKX feels really neutered and uninteresting as a result.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but it feels like MKX just doesn't have the same amount of hype in it

JDM

Noob
gotta be MK9 easy. Injustice was great and MKX had its moments (going more and more into esports killed some hype though imo) but MK9 was too good

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
It ain't gonna be MKX. 1) it wasn't really a hype game to watch and 2) the community is 80% people that will hit you with that, "Back in my day" tech and start talking about MK9 or Injustice and this or that or whatever. I didn't even find Injustice that hype to watch, but MK9 was pretty dope from a spectator's standpoint

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Let me put it to you this way. Chongo and I played Nightwing versus Hawkgirl all the time and we both tried to teach people how to play the match up and were told that none of Nightwing's options work versus her. Granted, she does win, but a lot of them said and stuck to him having no options versus her and it being 8-2 or 7-3.

This was one of the many examples of "lol, did all the maniacs migrate to one character" moments.
God I hope the Swamp Thing community isn't like that if we get the character...I'd prefer to be more like the Cyrax community in MKX. Have you seen those guys? It's almost like they treat each other like adults or something.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I think about this regularly and I'm about to be really honest. I like MKX as a game, but the lack of rivalries has caused me to lose a lot of interest. In MK9, we had VSM, GGA, EGP, Atlanta Kombat, TYM vs. Tom Brady, etc. In Injustice, we had West Coast vs. East Coast vs. Atlanta Kombat vs. GGA , and subplots with Tom vs. Theo for best Aquaman, Theo vs. KDZ for best Superman, Arma vs. King for best Batman, with some sick individuals like Honeybee, Saltface, and Deg coming out of nowhere to mix things up and make names for themselves. In MKX, it just feels like a bunch of people competing for a lot of money with no real stories. To answer the question, I'd say MK9 had the best sagas, though I enjoyed Injustice the most, since I love super heroes. I can't get nearly as invested in the MKX scene as I was in Injustice, so I'm patiently waiting for Injustice 2 and the hopeful revival of rivalries in our community.

Whitefox

Noob
Mk9 was the upbringing of many new FGC players. It was also the first game I played in a long time that was actually enjoyable to play, win or lose. Losing in mkx is fustrating, " damn he out guessed me!" "damn you and your safe overhead launcher!" etc. It was pretty basic but deep at the same time. Learning Kabals NDC, optimizing cages pressure game, cyraxes resets, or being a true master at footsies. Opening up your opponent was much more difficult than pressing a high mid low string.

In many ways its easier to compare NRS games to smash games.

Smash melee : mk9 (complicated mechanics, unorthodox movement[dash canceling], and other odd design choices for a 2d fighter)
Smash brawl : injustice (not very popular with many, but had its own scene)
Smash 4 : mkx(accepted for what it is, not hated or loved, just there)

Injustice 2 : smash64?

Rivalry's were super prevalent during mk9's lifetime.
Tyrant vs CD, who is the best jax!?
East coast vs West coast
Different scenes trying to prove the best: EGP, KH, GGA, etc

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I would say Injustice, if only because almost every major area of the map had, at one point or another, someone placing that was new to that level of play from MK9. That was a tremendous time, filled with a lot of fun drama and hot competition. Evo 2014 will go down as one of the great tournaments in NRS history. Huge upsets, long matches that went down to the wire, and the beginning of the era of Sonic Fox. Great, great stuff.

Injustice does have an unfortunate legacy of being the second game in the company's catalogue, so it started the has-beens of the scene to start acting up, which sucks. The trend is far worse in MKX, but it has its ugly roots in Injustice.

MK9 and MKX had great moments, but I would argue one of the unfortunate things was that the competition really bottlenecked at a certain point in both games. The level of play was always fun to watch, but it was largely the same dudes battling it out for supremacy. At some point during the games you would still have that moment of "woah, that was a great move" occasionaly, but it was still mostly the same dudes. This isn't an actual problem, but as a viewer it can probably get boring. Injustice had a revolving door of usual suspects, with only a few really consistent placers and always some sort of little surprise waiting to happen.

I don't really have delusions when it comes to general mindset; way back when, people still pined for "one more patch" and of course, nothing would actually assuage their tastes. The only thing that's happening now that is different and ten times as harmful is people sort of passive-agressively trying to discredit the game as a whole, thus making one's accomplishment in a particular game as less meaningful.

That's the kind of crap that is truly toxic and anyone involved in that should be ashamed.

Last thing I'll say is I do truly believe Yomi was a detriment to the regional scenes as a whole. The NRS scene of players is still a burgeoning one, and with such a small playerbase it is ill advised to rake up all the top talent because then all it does is leave those very small scenes without access to their best player(s), thus deflating the potential talent that could have come out of that region. I'm not saying those regions didn't have their own issues (California home base fluctuating, many of the GGA guys entering the industry, those New York guys just kind of evaporating into thin air), but I think taking the best players away compounded those issues even more.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
MKX because the community matured immensely since MK9.
i wasn't around in the mk9 days I came in the igau days. But the mkx community just feels too dry to me. I used to like to come to see tournament results, call outs, interesting and new tech for chars I didn't play. Now it's just a bunch of threads of theoretical balance changes from Joe nobody who's first fg is mkx