What's new

Which NRS title had the best community sagas?

Which NRS game spawned the best community storylines?

• MK9

Votes: 58 56.9%
  • Injustice

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • MKX

Votes: 11 10.8%

• Total voters

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Which NRS title had the best community sagas and or storylines, and do you think Injustice 2 might beat it?

I'm specifically referring to MK9, Injustice and MKX. This is less about the games (though the games and their reception is important) and more about their influence on the community as a whole.

MK9 can be said to have birthed the 'NRS' community. It was the first MK game of the current generation that was designed with competitive 'EVO-worthy' gameplay in mind. While a lot of players known for their success did not start playing fighting games or Mortal Kombat with MK9, it's how we came to learn of Tom Brady, REO, PL, Bit, Pig etc. etc. etc. It had epic rivalries, coastal feuds, incredible pop offs, Cinderella stories, vvv, and moments expecienced by players whether it be at a tournament, hotel room, or just in general that will resonate with them for the rest of their lives. It was a very special time.

Injustice saw a huge influx of players, some old, a ton of new, and spawned a lot of house hold name players we know today. There was enough juicy drama to satiate our lust for blood, memes and community inside jokes, entire locals around the entire country chanting a persons name during flash's trait combos (and some even personalizing it), we saw buffs, we saw nerfs, we saw bills, we saw rebelos, we saw the quest to become the best _ of America etc., KTP had some of its most memorable episodes, we saw faces turn heel, we saw heels turn face, and we even have a documentary commemorating the events.
Some people adore Mortal Kombat. But EVERYONE has a superhero they like. And so Injustice had a different, unique, and important role in fleshing out our community and personalizing it.

MKX brought even more players, some of which had little to no history with MK9 and Injustice, and we also saw some players leave the game due to either the game or getting bodied by the life match up. We saw a game that has received the most post release support in NRS history, saw ESL and other opportunities for players who never would have ever thought they could shine to have the means to do so. We saw the creation of YOMI, we saw not one, but TWO character DLC packs, and we've seen many tournaments with some of the highest level of play our community has conceived and with all the resources and developer interaction, we've seen a fairly unique instance where information and transparency is high and so is the level at which players level up this time around. A lot of first-time things and concepts have happened with this game, and so it has paved way for a very encouraging future.

But which had the best atmosphere about it? Which had the best storylines? The best call outs? The best popoffs? Which was more 'hype?' Which was more 'fun'? Which seems to have the most. Nostalgia? When we stop and think about this, the answer may vary from person to person, specifically depending on which game a person started with.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Dragon Ball Super: A Bunch of RANDOM new characters, most of them likeable competeing on par or surpassing the ones we came to know in the predecessors. And old characters got that dank power boost

Dragon Ball Z : MK9 - Various Characters Got some Shine, various players got some shine, the main characters all had legitamate growth during their time invested in the scene. Rooting interests and rivalries blossomed for the crowd.

Dragon Ball GT: MKX (People question if its canon and all the Saga's end virtually the same) LolSonicGokuWinsSolo

Dragon Ball AF: MKvsDC Complete garbage Only looked fondly on by the fans that tried to push it as "legit"

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Oh how I loved Injustice. It was such a fun era to watch. That salt was probably one of the most prolific in my opinion.

The game gave us unique character archetypes and some of the bigger players that play MKX currently made their tournament debut in Injustice, though it was the same case with MK9 players when Injustice came out. It made the community fun to be around.

The game may have had questionable balance decisions, but it elicited some of the hypest moments from the community to compensate for.

MK9 may have re-birthed the community but Injustice vitalized it. It's such a disappointment that NRS titles don't make it past the two year mark competitively.

As far as my thoughts on MKX go, I'd agree with that it did expand the community as well as easily got the most support of the three. However, in the process the hype no longer radiates as much as it used to. I dunno if its the sheer influx of players, the amount of characters in the game, the way the games is designed or a combination of all of the above, but after YOMI fading, I feel the hype has simmered down after the Injustice era.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I keep hearing shit about the Nightwing community, what was so bad abou them?
You can say they all had a bit of a 'Dick' measuring contest.

But in all seriousness, the NW community had the issue where everyone within that community wanted to come out as the best NW.

edit:
Back in the day, every character forum had their own personalities. I dunno if its true for MKX but it was amusing in its own way.