What's new

Which are the greatest Mortal Kombat of all time?

Which is the GOAT MK game? (5 picks)

• MK1

• MK2

• MK3

• UMK3/Trilogy

• MK4

• Deadly Alliance

• Deception

• Armaggedon

• MK9

• MKX

• Mk vs DC

Results are only viewable after voting.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Agreed on many respects. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was not a fantastic game, but it's hardly the worst of the overall franchise and introduced a _lot_ of the mechanics that re-invigorated the series:

- The style of Story Mode
- Traditional classic roster (for the Mortal Kombat side)
- More modern use of Super Metre
- It's gameplay, though still a 3D fighter, had more of a feel to it's 2D classic counter parts than the previous generation 3D titles

And as you pointed out, which no one ever seems to mention or realize, without this game there's a very real chance Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment would not have picked up the franchise and the team to create NetherRealms Studios, and we wouldn't be having this, and many other discussions.
The points that you 2 make are good points, but I think most of us are going off by the titles being made so far in terms of "Mortal Kombat". I actually like the game, but out of all the ones made, it's the one that I like the least. It actually tampered with the idea of NRS's, WBS's & DCU's own version of a fighting game series too which is Injustice.

I actually truly believe that MK would have been picked up regardless because of the clout & Midway generally tried to latch onto them because that was the only thing that really kept them afloat. It just so happens that they got one of the best in WB. Warner Bros was a godsend for them because they gave them more leeway to make creations within all of their WB products including DC Universe material.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Generally the old fans always voted for the arcade classics like me. They remember their childhood experiences. That means other mk games can not beat MK1, MK2, MK3 in their mind, there is literally zero chance, arcade mk games always been more than a game. MK9 always come after because it's story tells us the arcade days with the great details that we never see earlier.

Generally the old fans always voted for the arcade classics like me. They remember their childhood experiences. That means other mk games can not beat MK1, MK2, MK3 in their mind, there is literally zero chance, arcade mk games always been more than a game. MK9 always come after because it's story tells us the arcade days with the great details that we never see earlier.
I've noticed a general trend that older gamers tend to prefer/vote for the original trilogy and really like the klassic/original characters (I fall into this camp), while those who were in their early to mid-teens during the 2000's tend to vote and remember more fondly the PlayStation 2 era 3D fighters, as well as those characters.

Nostalgia is a very, very powerful thing.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
There is a lot more love for MKD than I expected, and that is a good thing. It was such a great game, still miss some of the modes and stages.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
5. MK3. It introduced stage transitions, run and stamina meter all in one. The iconic combo system. The ability to perform Mercy on your opponent. Animalities. The first playable Shoakan warrior Sheeva. Legendary music. The power kode! So much more which leads to.

4. UMK3/Trilogy. It had everything that MK3 had and more. As in everything missing upon release of mk3 and characters from mk2 as well as bosses.

3. MKDA. Kind of pushed the limits of the story and gameplay by using new imaginative, out of the box incredible new characters that we still miss till this day. Expect for weapon implement. That shit was bullshit.

1/2 MKD & MK9.

I can't say which one is my favorite. I love these games to death. They are truly raw, pure and to the very point stand alone titles. I can't list off the amazing things these 2 games have to offer. I can't describe owning 2 ps2 copies because I played the absolute hell out of MKD that I had to hunt for copies on hand and my ps2 would not read anymore disks. How I would play MK9 from sunrise to sunset. How I reset my online stats to grind it again after I mastered my mains and pushed hard for thousands and thousands and thousands of games. How I wish it to bc on Xbox again with that good netcode and the few vets left in koth's running matches. And more there's so much more.

Hard choice for that #1 spot.

Gamer68

Fujin!
  1. MKX
  2. MK9
  3. MK Deception
  4. MK Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 4 has a special place in my heart, but I would never put it on a best MK games list.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This was hard for me as far as choosing between MK 2 and MK 4, I know MK 2 is obviously overall better and more popular but I think gameplay wise I just think MK 4 is more fun imo. Much better than MKG no doubt.

Otherwise my list was pretty easy
1. MK 9
2. UMK3/MKT(even though technically they're two different games I can see why the OP merged them
3. MK Deception
4. MK 4
5. MK vs DC

Honorable mentions-MK 2, MK 1, MK Deadly Alliance and MK A.

Yeah I know not much love for MK vs DC but honestly, it's not remotely the most broken MK game or fighter out there in general....a shame midway ran out of money before they could patch Flash, Superman's infinites and add DLC Quan-Chi and Harley(for those who didn't know that was planned)

Kinda saddens me looking at the amount of people sleeping on deception
I think mkx was best competitively, but deception was the most raw fun by far. I loved it as a kid. Excellent game modes, konquest, krypt was fun, it just had so much to do

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
  1. MKX
  2. MK9
  3. MK Deception
  4. MK Trilogy
Mortal Kombat 4 has a special place in my heart, but I would never put it on a best MK games list.
still waiting for it's arcade version on current consoles but i guess it is too late. I hope they can do it for PS5 or XBOX bla bla..

Zaccel

Noob
I'm also in the camp where I consider the series to have an intersection between "best fighting game" and "best video game." MK4 was, in my eyes, a pretty weak fighting game and very thin on content (though I appreciate what they tried to do with it and Mythologies).

I think MK9, MKX, UMK3, and MK2 boast the series' best gameplay. All have their faults, but they provide a much stronger foundation than the 3D era, and all have unique reasons for people wanting to play them.

That said, I have a huge soft spot for the 3D era, and consider Deadly Alliance among the best in the series for its creative ambitions. Its balance is messy as hell, it's aged poorly, and there are many better games from the period...but it tried something new, set a new paradigm for the series, and took a lot of risks. I actually consider Deception among the weaker games for failing to iterate on it.

One thing I love about the franchise as a whole is that each game is not a carbon copy of the last one, and Midway/NetherRealm truly tries to innovate, and takes risks with each title.

This has lead to some titles being "better," or more well received/remembered than others, but it's refreshing not to simply be playing "Call of Duty Infinite" each release.