What's new

Guide Where we stand post NEC: Who's washed up, who's back and who's on the bubble.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I have decided to do an overview of where the top players stand in a post NEC world. Note that this is only halfway serious so don't get all emo.

REO: Stock up. Has now won 3 huge majors in a row. Even though I am obviously a huge Midwest supporter and Carl acolyte I can no longer deny that REO is the #1 MK player in the world.

Maxter: Stock slightly up. Remains a consistent top 3 player but still gets his back blown out by REO. However, at NEC he finally beat his brother. Now the #1 Dominican brother.

CD Jr: Stock way up. After a disappointing 13th place at Dallas and his Kung Lao getting bodied by everyone he's back to Jax and in the top 3. Only negative was being exposed as a Jax downplayer with all this Jax in the top 16. Somehow is still allowed to compete despite promising to retire if Soup beat Riu. I guess retirement stipulations in MK are like pro wrestling.

Sonic Fox: Stock skyrocketed. Has proven to be the real deal. Has retroactively added legitimacy for his placement at Winter Brawl and sadly forced us to stop making fun of Summer Jam. Could possibly be the best Mileena in the world.

GGA 16 Bit: Stock slightly down. After beating Carl a lot of people had me in their predicted top 3. Instead I lost to a child.

Tyrant: Stock slightly up. Back in the top 8 after an outside the top 16 placing at Dallas. The loss to Zaf sent his stock plummeting and he was almost in washed up territory but he recovered. Super clutch. Made Tomlulsbrady's day.

Riu48: Stock way up. Was nearly washed up before this tournament, with his most notable appearances of late being getting his back blown out by Dizzy and his goofy entrance at that VSM Royal Rumble. Now he's back in the top 8 and has beaten Death in the Sonya mirror. Rejoins the list of like 8 guys who may be the best Sonya in the world.

Tom Brady: Stock raised to the heavens. TOM BRADY IS BACK. The biggest winner of NEC. His weaksauce Cage gets bodied in round 1 only for the Lin Kuei master to return winning bad MU left and right. Tom can now rightfully go on and on about being a top 10 player.

Big D: On the bubble. After two poor showings at MLG he is back into the top 16 but not the top 8. A top 8 showing would have brought him back to top player status but he'll have to settle for having a second chance. The character crisis he is going through is worrying though.

Death: On the bubble. After retiring to the wilderness earlier this year Death returned at that Canadian tournament and got his back blown out by CD Jr's Kung Lao(during a time period where even Tommy Wafflez could beat CD Jr). Many thought he was washed up but he saved his career by getting 9th at NEC. Needs a top 8 placing but can settle with this. His self hyped "footsies KL" that would show us all how good KL is was no where to be seen. "Footsies KL" remains a myth, the Big Foot(sies) of Kung Lao's.

Showtime: Stock neutral. Has failed to make top 8 twice in a row. However, on the plus side he did almost beat Maxter and got revenge for getting Krayzie boned at Dallas by making it through a pool of Cyrax players.

Insuperable: Stock slightly up. Has to settle for another heartbreaking 9th place but has proven to be a consistent top 16 placer and can hang with the top guys beating Riu who did go on to place. Undisputed Quan Chi of the world and randomly plays Jax.

J360: Stock up. Finally cracks the top 16 and can say he wasn't beaten by fellow VSM players this time.

Winter Warz: Stock down. Solid top 16 placing but hasn't followed up his Season's Beatings performance. Can no longer claim I only beat him because he couldn't use his keyboard. Has now stolen my Snake Strike and turned it into a meme. Needs a top 8 or he's on the bubble of being washed up.

Wafflez: Stock down. Screwed up the possible runback against CD Jr by getting his back blown out by Blackula. Only M2Dave was happy with his placement.

Curbo: Stock plummeted. Now officially washed up. His last(and only) top 8 placement was 100 years ago at MLG Columbus. Has conceded that Dizzy is the best Cage by going to Kabal and then got bodied anyway. Has gone from beating top Sub-Zero's with Cage to getting his back blown out by Sub as Kabal. Sonic Fox has replaced him as the child prodigy of MK.

Pig of the Hut: Stock neutral. Did not compete but at least has the Kenshi downplaying talking point that there was no Kenshi in the top 16.

M2Dave: Stock neutral. Did not compete but approved of there being no "Boosty" in tournament and was happy to see Dark Natas get bodied in pools.

KT Smith: Stock at rock bottom. Remains the most washed up player in the scene.

Chris G: Stock up. Had been super washed up, only being brought up to troll me, but his stock has risen slightly since he won a game on stream and actually forced Tommy to go to Cage in tournament.

Crazy Dominican: Stock neutral. Has gone home to be a family man.

These are my thoughts on the top 16 as well as a few others. Please comment or add your own players to rank.

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Lol good list GGA 16 Bit
unfortunate things happen all the time but quote me on this.... I AM the Child MK prodigy and will return to whoop some ass.
You, YTW and SonicFox missed out on the perfect chance to team battle JamesMK and whoever the other 2 oldest at NEC were. Would have been the shit.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
It better be with Cage. I don't this community can tolerate another Kabal player getting their back blown out by Sub Zero.
Was thinking about going back to cage. I really don't want people to think I was that bad with Kabal. Buying a new controller and converter cause both of them suck right now and I'll be back in tip top shape. I already have a few people telling me use Cage for all your favored matchups, KL for Kabal and Kabal for anything that wins the MU 7-3 or worse. Prolly would use Kabal for Sonya, Cyrax, Jax, and Kenshi.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
In case anyone was wondering for Top 16:
1. REO
2. Maxter
3. CDjr
4. Sonic Fox
5. 16 Bit
5. Tyrant
7. Tom Brady
7. Riu48
9. Insuperable
9. Showtime
9. Death
9. Big D
13. J360
13. W1nter Warz
13. Curbo
13. Wafflez

Sonya - 4 (Riu48, Death, Showtime, Sonic Fox)
Kabal - 3 (REO, Curbo, CDjr)
Cyrax - 3 (Maxter, J360, W1nter Warz)
Jax - 3 (CDjr, Tyrant, Insuperable)
Kung Lao - 2 (CDjr, Maxter)
Cage - 2 (Maxter, Curbo)
Mileena - 1 (Sonic Fox)
Ermac - 1 (Big D)
Quan Chi - 1 (Insuperable)
Kitana - 1 (16 Bit)
Smoke - 1 (Wafflez)

VSM: 8 (REO, Maxter, CDjr, Tom Brady, Riu48, Insuperable, J360, W1nter Warz)
GGA: 2 (16 Bit, Wafflez)
N/A: 2 (Sonic Fox, Curbo)
KH: 1 (Showtime)
EGP: 1 (Tyrant)
Canada: 1 (Death)
Florida: 1 (Big D)

Mann I need to get top 8 or be on the bubble of being washed up, fuck outta here. I call shenanigans on the account that you look at everything through your biased GGA glasses. One day I will be in your hometown and snake strike you to death. Wafflez tell your boy to stop being biased. I also request that @soonk is promoted to vocal leader of GGA. I like him better.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
In case anyone was wondering for Top 16:
1. REO
2. Maxter
3. CDjr
4. Sonic Fox
5. 16 Bit
5. Tyrant
7. Tom Brady
7. Riu48
9. Insuperable
9. Showtime
9. Death
9. Big D
13. J360
13. W1nter Warz
13. Curbo
13. Wafflez

Sonya - 4 (Riu48, Death, Showtime, Sonic Fox)
Kabal - 3 (REO, Curbo, CDjr)
Cyrax - 3 (Maxter, J360, W1nter Warz)
Jax - 3 (CDjr, Tyrant, Insuperable)
Kung Lao - 2 (CDjr, Maxter)
Mileena - 1 (Sonic Fox)
Ermac - 1 (Big D)
Quan Chi - 1 (Insuperable)
Kitana - 1 (16 Bit)
Smoke - 1 (Wafflez)
Johnny Cage - 1 (Maxter)

VSM: 8 (REO, Maxter, CDjr, Tom Brady, Riu48, Insuperable, J360, W1nter Warz)
GGA: 2 (16 Bit, Wafflez)
N/A: 2 (Sonic Fox, Curbo)
KH: 1 (Showtime)
EGP: 1 (Tyrant)
Canada: 1 (Death)
Florida: 1 (Big D)
Put me in there as a Cage user because I used him to baby Neo Russel.

CRUM

Noob
Was thinking about going back to cage. I really don't want people to think I was that bad with Kabal. Buying a new controller and converter cause both of them suck right now and I'll be back in tip top shape. I already have a few people telling me use Cage for all your favored matchups, KL for Kabal and Kabal for anything that wins the MU 7-3 or worse. Prolly would use Kabal for Sonya, Cyrax, Jax, and Kenshi.
Don't use KL lol. Your Kabal is good but your Cage is still one of the best. Stick to those two if anything.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Mann I need to get top 8 or be on the bubble of being washed up, fuck outta here. I call shenanigans on the account that you look at everything through your biased GGA glasses. One day I will be in your hometown and snake strike you to death. Wafflez tell your boy to stop being biased. I also request that @soonk is promoted to vocal leader of GGA. I like him better.

No bias here sir.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Don't use KL lol. Your Kabal is good but your Cage is still one of the best. Stick to those two if anything.
I would prolly use KL for the Kabal MU. I'm still prolly the only KL who hasn't lost a set to a Kabal player. I also tear all other Kabals up online with KL. Prolly the only one who plays that match right anyways so I should take advantage of that and use him. Also may use him against Freddy.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If I have left out notable names let me know and I'll respond.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
King_David

I'm going to Chicago for a week to see my girls family for Xmas, unfortunately I leave 3 days before frausty but I'm working on that

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Glass Sword

Nobody
I wish i could see the brackets just so I could see who had to go through who to make it to where they are. Especially Tom Brady because he got sent to hell straight away and clawed his way to 7th!

CRUM

Noob
I would prolly use KL for the Kabal MU. I'm still prolly the only KL who hasn't lost a set to a Kabal player. I also tear all other Kabals up online with KL. Prolly the only one who plays that match right anyways so I should take advantage of that and use him. Also may use him against Freddy.
No offense but I think CD Jr plays that matchup better than anyone else in the community. Haven't seen PL do it as of late.