What's new

Where is the moral outrage over Xbox One`s DRM?

aj1701

Noob
Yeah because entertainment is only reserved for the elite right, so only rich people are allowed to enjoy life and relax, I guess they are suppose to just be working all the time...
You sound like such a child. No one is obligated to make games or systems affordable to everyone, plus video games are just one form of entertainment. It is by definition a luxury, just like music and movies and card games and dozens of other things. Man people have become so entitled.

aj1701

Noob
No, you have to spread information of why you don't like it.

It's how we advance anything in this world. ideas clash and the better ones rise to the top through debate.

Keeping quiet is the WORST thing you could do.

could you imagine if everyone who played MK9 that didn't like P1 advantage, or other aspects of the game didn't speak up and state why they don't like it? no one is forcing you to buy MK9, don't buy it and move on with your life.

Well how are they suppose to learn from their mistakes then?

Public opinion is a good thing for people to share.

It's good to criticize, to keep people in check.

[/quote]

If this is really upsetting to people it will be reflected in the sales of the console. If the console sells well anyway, they'll continue to do such things. they won't care if a vocal minority (if that's what it turns out to be) cry online.

aj1701

Noob
I know everyone disagrees here, but is Sony proves to not be much better, Nintendo will end up taking the next gen people are just not ready to give up there rights.
If I end up not liking the restrictions on both Ps and xb I'll skip next gen... Nintendo doesn't have most of the games I want to play

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
maybe if young people didn't pirate everything they could for the last 15 years, the publishers wouldn't have to take steps like this

and sorry that MS didn't consider 'mexicans playing games on rooftops with no internet' when they designed their console

lol... the outrage over this is retarded... video games aren't innate human right... there are many more real issues in the world, to be this upset over this is embarrassing for the first world
Actually this is a real issue, if people don't get angry and voice opinions on this, it means that though the government may not infringe on your rights, its ok for a corporation to do so.

aj1701

Noob
You have missed the point greatly, and probably already moved on yourself. Many many people are not buying this new console, as you said. But the outrage comes in the fact that most of those people planned to, and wanted to. You don't stop liking video games the moment you disagree with a companies decisions, and we don't know that PS4 won't be the same. There is the PC option, but it has draw backs as well. Because Microsoft/Publishers/Developers/WHOEVER want(s) more money, we are forced into a lose lose situation that is nowhere near necessary for them to make a profit.
I get the point exactly. I just reserve my "moral outrage" for rape and other such crimes, not because of a console's drm policy.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I get the point exactly. I just reserve my "moral outrage" for rape and other such crimes, not because of a console's drm policy.
Believe me I get where your coming from, but what you are not seeing is the bigger picture at all. Look further, its ok for a corporation to take away your rights, but its not ok for a government.

maybe if young people didn't pirate everything they could for the last 15 years, the publishers wouldn't have to take steps like this

and sorry that MS didn't consider 'mexicans playing games on rooftops with no internet' when they designed their console

lol... the outrage over this is retarded... video games aren't innate human right... there are many more real issues in the world, to be this upset over this is embarrassing for the first world

You know America doesn't have good internet either right? The outrage is normal considering how intrusive the system is. Every feature on their site is almost a restriction. How can you not LEND OR RENT GAMES? wtf is this shit? Why can I only trade in games in "participating retailers". Why is there an exclusive market for trade-ins? This shits on so many mom-pops stores.

PC is understandable due to how easy it is to pirate games on the pc and the nature of PC Gaming. Its only tolerable due to how cheap PC games are. I bought Batman Arkham city 100% day 1 on pc for 25 bucks no tax. That is more than a 50% saving if I were to buy it day1 retail.

If xbox1 games were 20-40 bucks then people would be willing to accept the PC-like drm, but lets be real its probably not going to be cheaper.

Honestly I knew xbox1 would be dogshit due to the rumors. Everybody with a brain knows microsoft has a tendency to lose touch with its customer base (msn messenger, internet explorer, microsoft phone, etc etc).

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Under_The_Mayo brother, we in Angola live in the same exact situation, just to remind that i think i did a similar post when Ed Book was speaking on how Internet and Online game will be the future of gaming.

Xbox one is a discarded console in my country, games costs 110 USDs as well, and sometimes we have to borrow from friends who can buy some, with this individualization shit, as the 24h/7 internet connection, no one will be able to do this.

Re-selling games business will also drop down if they stick with that (1 disc ,1 console ) system, some games are so trash and disposable to even put them into a console again after you finish. So what are we supposed to do with this games? put them in the trash can?, because before we could trade with another friend, but now, 1 disc is console exclusive and this is retarded.

Well, Xbox one will not be used in Angola, we already have shown our middle finger to miscrosoft, because they fucked us in the Ass already, so the life conditions doesn't allow to have an Xbox one, not even if the prices go down.

Failed quote
complaining EARLY can fix it before it launches possibly, giving people more options.

And of course sales play a factor in if they can get away with or not.

That's why talking is important because talking can convince people to not buy it when you display your reasonings for why it's a terrible console as is.

not talking about it lets ignorant people make ignorant purchases, and ignorant purchases support bad ideas/behavior unknowningly.

You sound like such a child. No one is obligated to make games or systems affordable to everyone, plus video games are just one form of entertainment. It is by definition a luxury, just like music and movies and card games and dozens of other things. Man people have become so entitled.

No one has to change their tastes just because their favorite hobbies take a turn for the worst.

Injustice is a shining example of what bitching can get you. So don't act like voicing your opinion doesn't do anything.

M2Dave

Zoning Master

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I appreciate everything that this thread entails.. From corporate greed to the other country aspects/outlooks.. HOWEVER, like everyone knows.. A boycott from the hardcore community is not going to mean jack squat to the Corporate Giant known as Microsoft.
Tons of casuals and true NEED NEW TECH NOW folk (not even true gamers) will scoop it up because of its "convenience" (I could Skype from my 20 inch monitor-- OR FROM MY 80 INCH SMART TV!!!! Take that Jonses!!!!). The latest have to have tech people can't help themselves when it comes to impulse/com-pulse buy like this.
This means the future will be upon us quicker than we know. The Xbox1 may break even with the other 2 systems in the American market (much like the console wars have always done in the past), however will lack on the "world wide" scale (much like all of the Microsoft systems have done since inception).
This pressure may force Sony's and Nintendo's hand in keeping current (especially if they see Microsoft being successful at it) and they will soon be on their way to the same tactics.. Because if Microsoft is successful.. The future WILL be now... Sony and Nintendo cannot afford the gamble of NOT staying current.
Microsoft is a corporate giant for a reason, and they are no dummies.. It would be foolish of them not to have the best launch lineup available in console history.. This will in turn sway some hesitant/naysayers back to their camp. After all, we as gamers know that boycotting a love is much harder to do in practice than it is in words..

From a corporate standpoint:
-Microsoft cannot afford to rest on its laurels when it comes to launch because of the controversy surrounding the XB1.. Expect them to come out fast and furious.. And if the launch is spectacular, sales go as expected, the launch lineup is stellar- expect Sony and Nintendo to start scrambling like cockroaches when the lights come on.

In turn:
- if Microsoft is lazy, and produces a sub-par launch lineup, rests on the laurels of their name and past, this will keep hesitant/naysayers siding with other systems and will be a total uphill battle for them to gain any ground.

Another point I would like to bring up is that Microsoft could have a fail safe in that they can reverse the Digital properties and lift the things that are currently driving people insane.. If it proves to burden or hold the system back ( not saying they do- but always a possibility with technology).

The only thing I can say for sure is that it would behoove each of us to do our market research and look at the pro's and con's of each system and make your decision off of that, and NOT out of anger, spite, and malice, or be swayed by others views and opinions (especially PRIOR to Sony and Microsoft being released). There is the old adage about cutting off your nose to spite your face.. In that situation.. The only one who looses is you.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
If they don't change it will be the downfall of the system, I don't really care at this point. Good multiplayer games are a dime a dozen on the 360 anyways, which is why I got into fighting games. I could only play so many good indie titles with small populations for so long. Maybe Microsoft will learn it's lesson if nobody buys there product. I have no intention of ever buying it, much better to just upgrade my PC.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I appreciate everything that this thread entails.. From corporate greed to the other country aspects/outlooks.. HOWEVER, like everyone knows.. A boycott from the hardcore community is not going to mean jack squat to the Corporate Giant known as Microsoft.
Tons of casuals and true NEED NEW TECH NOW folk (not even true gamers) will scoop it up because of its "convenience" (I could Skype from my 20 inch monitor-- OR FROM MY 80 INCH SMART TV!!!! Take that Jonses!!!!). The latest have to have tech people can't help themselves when it comes to impulse/com-pulse buy like this.
This means the future will be upon us quicker than we know. The Xbox1 may break even with the other 2 systems in the American market (much like the console wars have always done in the past), however will lack on the "world wide" scale (much like all of the Microsoft systems have done since inception).
This pressure may force Sony's and Nintendo's hand in keeping current (especially if they see Microsoft being successful at it) and they will soon be on their way to the same tactics.. Because if Microsoft is successful.. The future WILL be now... Sony and Nintendo cannot afford the gamble of NOT staying current.
Microsoft is a corporate giant for a reason, and they are no dummies.. It would be foolish of them not to have the best launch lineup available in console history.. This will in turn sway some hesitant/naysayers back to their camp. After all, we as gamers know that boycotting a love is much harder to do in practice than it is in words..

From a corporate standpoint:
-Microsoft cannot afford to rest on its laurels when it comes to launch because of the controversy surrounding the XB1.. Expect them to come out fast and furious.. And if the launch is spectacular, sales go as expected, the launch lineup is stellar- expect Sony and Nintendo to start scrambling like cockroaches when the lights come on.

In turn:
- if Microsoft is lazy, and produces a sub-par launch lineup, rests on the laurels of their name and past, this will keep hesitant/naysayers siding with other systems and will be a total uphill battle for them to gain any ground.

Another point I would like to bring up is that Microsoft could have a fail safe in that they can reverse the Digital properties and lift the things that are currently driving people insane.. If it proves to burden or hold the system back ( not saying they do- but always a possibility with technology).

The only thing I can say for sure is that it would behoove each of us to do our market research and look at the pro's and con's of each system and make your decision off of that, and NOT out of anger, spite, and malice, or be swayed by others views and opinions (especially PRIOR to Sony and Microsoft being released). There is the old adage about cutting off your nose to spite your face.. In that situation.. The only one who looses is you.
Wow you really like ms huh...
I will wait til after E3 to make a final choice but so far it is 90% ps4...if ms changes policy I will buy one in a few years...
Yeah I know techies that buy everything but they buy everything ....& I have talked many out of ms already...
I'm not rich at all but many of my friends are the jones...sports stars and such...they are all turned off by the inet needs due to they bring the system on the road a lot & its a hassle they don't need...

Sent under duress.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Wow you really like ms huh...
I will wait til after E3 to make a final choice but so far it is 90% ps4...if ms changes policy I will buy one in a few years...
Yeah I know techies that buy everything but they buy everything ....& I have talked many out of ms already...
I'm not rich at all but many of my friends are the jones...sports stars and such...they are all turned off by the inet needs due to they bring the system on the road a lot & its a hassle they don't need...

Sent under duress.
:)
It is no secret I game on an Xbox.. That being said I don't agree with many of the decisions they have implemented.. I do find humor in those that say they are abandoning ship and flocking to Sony as if they are run by the sisters of the poor, hold us the gamer in higher regards than money, and speaking flawlessly of systems that has had their share of problems in the past as well. The more and more I hear about all this shit- the more it reminds me of a presidential debate in which it turns into choosing the lesser of the two evils.. That vote means no one wins

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
:)
It is no secret I game on an Xbox.. That being said I don't agree with many of the decisions they have implemented.. I do find humor in those that say they are abandoning ship and flocking to Sony as if they are run by the sisters of the poor, hold us the gamer in higher regards than money, and speaking flawlessly of systems that has had their share of problems in the past as well. The more and more I hear about all this shit- the more it reminds me of a presidential debate in which it turns into choosing the lesser of the two evils.. That vote means no one wins
Yeah I am not jumping ship or whatever I play games on what I like when I like...I'm not a fanboy of anything...xbox is making what I want to do more difficult...I don't play games for headaches...

Sent under duress.

Sony has said multiple times there is no need to connect to the internet to play. That you can play it offline "oldschool style".

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-08-sony-definitively-rules-out-always-online-for-ps4

The only thing PS4 does (just like the PS3), is that it gives the Publisher the choice to whether they want to region lock their games and whether to enforce DRM (look at final fight (sp?) from capcom).

There are a few DRM games on ps3 but its probably less than 5.

Also XBLA and PSN games won't work with PS4 and XBone is because those games are all intent and purpose are Ps3 and x360 games. They are program as such and in order for them to work they would have to be re-program to work for the xbone.

Sony has always been more consumer friendly. Ps3, PSP and the Vita are not region lock. Ps3 could originally game share up to 5 people until people abused the shit out of that. PS Plus is THE BEST gaming service out their for console.

Sony has always been good to gamers. People fail to see this.

Rumor is that Ubisoft, EA, and Activision started and pushed for the DRM things acording to Giantbomb. Not only that, rumor is that EA tried to do the same with Nintendo and nintendo obviously said "fuck you". Now you can see why there are almost ZERO games made for the Wii-u from EA.

The likely hood of Sony adding intrusive DRM is low, but the chance for some DRM is likely due to the structure of the gaming giants.

edit

Sony will always support indie and niche dev though.

Alright relax Sony Fanboy, don't kid yourself sony is no better. How soon we forget how Sony's servers were compromised losing thousands of peoples credit card information. How soon we forget how aggressive sony was when some kid figured out how to jailbreak PS3. Both companies end game is $ and they try to protect their investments. Neither is better than the other in this regard, to think so is just plain naive.

Nintendo is currently under a shitstorm because of their recent youtube policy where they will add advertisements and take revenue for any video that has any sort of Nintendo content in it. Which may not sound like much but it's a slap in the face for game reviewers, streamers, etc. who increase Nintendos revenue by shedding light on their games. So again be it Nintendo/MS/Sony they are all the same they are looking to maximize profit by any means necessary.