What's new

Where are all the women at?

Numbskull727

happiness is a warm gun
I believe It's a mixture of this community and social constructs. If I had to guess, I would say that men probably have more free time to learn a competitive game than woman. Video games as a whole were viewed as a more masculine hobby for a while.

Variety
reported in 2013 that just under 1 out of every 3 woman enjoy playing these violent games, most of them were gun or team based games however. If about half of all gamers are woman, than a little less than 1 in 6 people should be woman playing those games. This leads me to believe Fighting Games in particular aren't as popular among females as they are among guys since every one I've played has been a boy's club for the most part.

Last edited:
lol, I remember one of those surveys, something along the lines of "50% of all gamers are women" based on them asking random people if they had a console at home. Like my mom has 3 consoles at home, but she doesn't touch them, guess she's still a gamer though :DOGE
Yeah, well a lot of women do play games on their i phones.

Last edited:

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I've beenfeve
The question should add *in America to the end.

Girls attend eu events, and don't get hassled.
The environment is noticeably different IMO in the states.
I've been to four MK events here in the states. Never really had a bad experience. To be fair, I'm older than most of the typical MK crowd, so I'm perhaps the wrong person people would try to treat inappropriately.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Most video game players are casuals. Most casuals don't play fighters. Most competitive players don't even go to tournaments. Most video game players are men. Is it really a mystery why there's not many female fighting game players compared to males?

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
You're right, that's not what I meant.
And take no offense, but did she ever beat you? I've played good female players before, but never a really good one.

As a matter of fact, I dream of some day being able to train one so she can play at a really high level, like a guy's usual level.
Yeah she beat me very often really, Sindel was a bad matchup imo for Sub, if she played patiently and stuck to here zoning game then the W was going her way. FML VaporGhost was her tag on xbox, haven't heard form her in a very long time doe.

Oh yeah and about the phrasing thing I could see what you were trying to say but some "trigger" inclined person would've totally jumped on the opportunity to call you sexist and what not, because people cannot make mistakes about that sorta stuff,sheesh

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I guess maybe they don't think the community is very welcoming to women. Just a guess.

And from what I've seen girls enjoy the easier games.
Its not about easier. Its about appeal.

Most women can see themselves sparring, but fighting to the death just isn't appealing to them.

My old girl was so good at Tony Hawk that I doubt anyone would be able to touch her. On Tony Hawk Underground, I had to knock her down before she got to 10 Million on one combo because at 10M - the fireball immediately envelopes the whole map and does 100% damage to everyone. To top it off, it didn't take her very long to get there.

I wouldn't deem Tony Hawk Underground to be very "easy."

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Woa hold up just off top of my head

Jessfox
Julia
Llumiya (probably best female player for mk)
LMP
Whatshername (played mk9 and inj and some Mkx)
the Mileena player from Ceo (sry forgot name)
Emily from UK

.............and Birdsongs and Ayase :eek: (sorry I really had to)
The Mileena player that TrePounded TrePound was a player by the name of Infinitii, I believe. They had about three different female players at CEO, which still isn't much but it's a start, imo.

Its not about easier. Its about appeal.

Most women can see themselves sparring, but fighting to the death just isn't appealing to them.

My old girl was so good at Tony Hawk that I doubt anyone would be able to touch her. On Tony Hawk Underground, I had to knock her down before she got to 10 Million on one combo because at 10M - the fireball immediately envelopes the whole map and does 100% damage to everyone. To top it off, it didn't take her very long to get there.

I wouldn't deem Tony Hawk Underground to be very "easy."
Lol. This games multiplayer sounds awesome. I only ever played the single player

Reactions: GAV

trufenix

bye felicia
Harassment coming from a guy that no girl above a 4 would fuck. It's easy to ridicule these people and hurt them with words worse than they hurt people of the opposite sex with their's. That's really what people need to start doing. People who harass women are usually people who can't get laid by anyone they'd like to have sex with.
^^
Confirmed: Part of the problem.

GAV

Lol. This games multiplayer sounds awesome. I only ever played the single player
The mode was called Firefight. The bigger the combo points of the current combo you were in when firing, the bigger the fireball and the more damage it did.

I wish I still had my Ps2. THUG's core was never again reached.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
The mode was called Firefight. The bigger the combo points of the current combo you were in when firing, the bigger the fireball and the more damage it did.

I wish I still had my Ps2. THUG's core was never again reached.
I got banned from THUG Online for PS2. Maxed out the score counter in a 30 second trick attack and when I tried to play again, it wouldn't let me. Also, FIREFIGHT on the Slam City Jam map was always the best.

GAV

I got banned from THUG Online for PS2. Maxed out the score counter in a 30 second trick attack and when I tried to play again, it wouldn't let me. Also, FIREFIGHT on the Slam City Jam map was always the best.
That game was so awesome. Highest I ever scored on one trick was just over 4 million.

That sucks. That just shows that crybaby noobs getting their way isn't a new thing.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
I'd like to coin the phrase "pulling a Noel Brown" for the next time we catch someone on tape, grabbing the ass of a chick at a tournament. I wanna hear Ketchup and Mustard say " ...and here comes the Noel Brown outta nowhere, great read":DOGE:DOGE:DOGE

UGL Preon

The Casual God
The Possible answers: (Sources: Friends, Events I've been to, Battle & Brew Barcade, Game X Barcade)

1.) Getting preyed on by the overly thirsty. I've seen people go easy on a chick at events just to in attempt to "Slide in her DMs and get the snapchat". Or dudes just being patronizing about them playing the game period. Then when she's obviously not interested, its time to be rude AF.

2.) A lot of them are busy getting more infamous through cosplay than actually playing the game. Some going as far as playing off of the aforementioned Thirst.

3.) A lot of the dudes I know who go to tournaments for various games, not just FGC specific are what you would say "Don't qualify for being the best with the opposite sex". Maybe future mayors of the Social Awkwardness Capital USA at times.

4.) That and there's not too many girls I know who's "Girls Night Out/In" constitutes playing a Fighting Game. Game wise on average they playing Call of Duty, League of Legends, Mario Party (End Friendships Simulator), and the like. Smash Bros. is as probably as close as you're getting.

5.) When the demographic is like 90% dudes, some women don't feel comfortable when it feels like they're the only one in a setting.

Not saying this is 100% concrete fact as if I write the rules. But through asking and surveying this is all I got.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
A lot of it is just the fact that more gamers really are men and fighting games in particular are almost exclusively male dominated, plus the fact that MK9 was so stripperific. But there is a barrier to chick's getting into the FGC, in my opinion. There are a few girls, ArkhamBeauty, Julia, Lumiya spring to mind, but it's an overwhelming sausage fest.

It's not only that FGC is usually 95+% male, it's that a large proportion of us are immature dickheads who just have no idea how to act appropriately sometimes. I'm sure I'll be called an SJW by some shining intellect for this, but what Aris pulled a few years ago was disgraceful and the fact that the FGC as a whole seemed cool with it is a perfect example: in no section of society is screaming "fucking rape her" actually acceptable and the fact that our scene has its origins in the arcade which was generally pretty aggressive and shit isn't an excuse. Why on Earth would a chick decide to hang out with people who have even the slightest inclination to endorse that? It's a genuinely disgusting thing to do and Aris continues to be inexplicably beloved in the FGC. He commentated on our Evo finals this year and his defence force were out in full. His popularity after that is the single biggest thing you can point to as to why more girls aren't involved in the FGC.

I mean it's inevitable that some people in a crowd are going to be dickheads, but I've heard reports of roofies at Evo, a Smash player sexually assaulted a chick this Evo gone by, there was an incident a while back where a fairly prominent NRS player was literally catcalling a chick on stream. Like it or not, the FGC has a serious problem with girls.

Want another example? Go find the Twitch chat or even stuff here or an Shoryuken when ArkhamBeauty or any other girl is playing on stream. Again, not exactly the kinda stuff that makes chicks feel comfortable or welcome.

Want another example? Go find the thread about Kitana's face when NRS released. There's banter and there's criticizing the art and then there's a solid 40-60% of TYM acting like 16 year olds who listen to too much Lil Jon. Which they are, I guess.

I mean hell to bring the FGC to it's most casual and base level, Maximillian. His sister Tess just so happens to be really really hot. Like, really hot. And she got dogs abuse and horrible shit thrown at him and her when she did a few videos with him, purely for being a hot chick. And these are ostensibly his fans, I heard a rumour someone sent him a Rule34 of him and his sister. Like, what the fuck?

There's a lot of general "girls don't play these games" about it, and while that may be a cyclical issue, anybody who dismisses the issue there is turning a blind eye to how certain members of the FGC in general, our community included, act. A lot of the time it seems that if they aren't cosplaying and you aren't hot, the FGC doesn't want shit to do with girls.

It also seems to be more of a problem in the US than the EU, there's a fairly decent proportion of chicks in the UK scene I believe. I know one of them fucking bodied me online a few times, she had her mike on and was really nice. While blowing my fucking back out, but still. Geordie I think.

Last edited:
The Possible answers: (Sources: Friends, Events I've been to, Battle & Brew Barcade, Game X Barcade)

1.) Getting preyed on by the overly thirsty. I've seen people go easy on a chick at events just to in attempt to "Slide in her DMs and get the snapchat". Or dudes just being patronizing about them playing the game period. Then when she's obviously not interested, its time to be rude AF.

2.) A lot of them are busy getting more infamous through cosplay than actually playing the game. Some going as far as playing off of the aforementioned Thirst.

3.) A lot of the dudes I know who go to tournaments for various games, not just FGC specific are what you would say "Don't qualify for being the best with the opposite sex". Maybe future mayors of the Social Awkwardness Capital USA at times.

4.) That and there's not too many girls I know who's "Girls Night Out/In" constitutes playing a Fighting Game. Game wise on average they playing Call of Duty, League of Legends, Mario Party (End Friendships Simulator), and the like. Smash Bros. is as probably as close as you're getting.

5.) When the demographic is like 90% dudes, some women don't feel comfortable when it feels like they're the only one in a setting.

Not saying this is 100% concrete fact as if I write the rules. But through asking and surveying this is all I got.
My gf and sister suck at smash but they'll kick your ass in mario party and mario kart. Especially mario kart.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
I don't think violenece ,blood@gore, or even fighting games in general appeal to females. Would males be interested in lipstick(well some of you might,lol), skirts, or fashion? Obviously no.
But males are willing to play anime female characters who are big female stereotypes... oh wait that's me :p