What's new

Where are all the women at?

Women get harassed by thirsty ass guys all the time. There's even a video of a well-known SF player touching a girl's ass at a recent tournament.
That and guys will let you win if they know you're a girl most of the times!

So yeah....
I'll be the first to say guys are thirty asf in terms of on,June gaming in general. At the moment I only play Tanya and Mileena, and I can't even begin to tell you how much people try to slide into my messages. Smfh. Same with Gta online.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
"Go nuts punching nuts!" :DOGE
Me: Use 11 and stagger the string to make your opponent guess if you're going for the low or gain frame advantage so you can try and do the overhead.
Her: What the hell are you talking about? What is 11?
Me: just double tap square, hit low, or use forward triangle to hit high. You'll get it.

>Proceeds to make me guess every single time.

Women get harassed by thirsty ass guys all the time. There's even a video of a well-known SF player touching a girl's ass at a recent tournament.
That and guys will let you win if they know you're a girl most of the times!

So yeah....
I remember at an mk9 tournament, goldfish (a female player) got pantsed. What really pissed me off about this is that no one confronted the guy who did it. No one did shit. We need to fucking let these people know this kind of behavior is completely unacceptable.

And, I babied girls in mk9 when I played them while everyone else was letting them win for free. haha.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think it's mostly because where fighters began. It's a bit before my time but I think it was seen as a "boy" thing to go to arcades and play video games. I know there a tons of girls who play games but just not the ones we like here. That and with fighter's still being niche I think it's fair to see why we don't see many girls. I'm sure there are plenty online playing but traveling to events is probably a little daunting. It's like the self-fulfilling prophecy with how big the SF community is. You can look at the playerbase for SF and go "Well it seems most people play that so that would be the easiest to get matches in." Girls are probably going "Well I don't see a lot girls around (if any)" so they feel uncomfortable being the odd group. I don't think the FGC is unwelcoming to girls. Our thing has always been if you can play then step up and prove it. We don't have regular invitationals or nothing like that. It's probably one of those things that just has to come from growing and getting more exposure. We got people like Kayane who is a figurehead in her scene. ChocoBlanka is known in hers. USA has a few females known. I'm sure the NRS community has some female players and there are probably some in this very forum. Probably the best thing to increase the female population is for some female players to really step in to the limelight. Whether that's to start winning (Kayane), start commentating (Persia from the Marvel community), who even organizes tournaments (MamaDao, Idk if that's what she goes by but that's her twitter handle).

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I remember at an mk9 tournament, goldfish (a female player) got pantsed. What really pissed me off about this is that no one confronted the guy who did it. No one did shit. We need to fucking let these people know this kind of behavior is completely unacceptable.

And, I babied girls in mk9 when I played them while everyone else was letting them win for free. haha.
There's a video of a well-known MKX player catcalling Fantasy on stream in front of everyone and most people just ignored it.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I feel like this question doesn't get asked enough. Why are no women playing this game? Or any competitive game for that matter? Yes, of course there are a few, but for the most part it's just men. Is it our fault? Is it the game companies' fault? Is there anything we can do to bring more women into competitive gaming? Maybe it's biological on some level and women just aren't very interested in competitive games, but if it is men's fault that there are no women in competitive gaming, we really owe it to them to fix whatever social issues there are keeping them from competing. That's half of the population we are keeping from enjoying something really amazing if we have anything to do with it. But, I don't want to jump to conclusions. I want to hear what some of you think are the reasons why no women are playing these great competitive games with us.
It's nobody's fault. Everybody, male or female, is free to buy the game and play it and then go to tournaments. Maybe women just don't like these kind of games, I don't know. I know a lot of girls like the Sims and Pokemon Go. Make of that what you will.

There's a video of a well-known MKX player catcalling Fantasy on stream in front of everyone and most people just ignored it.
Yeah, this doesn't make any sense to me. I would like to think there would be at least someone there to call out disrespectful things like that. I would. I'm not a white knight either. I am not going to defend every woman in every situation, but there is definitely a line. You can't just be outright disrespectful to someone just because they don't have a dick. And people in this community need to call that shit out when they see it. Stop being afraid of confrontation or whatever your problem is, and call out the assholes when you see them.

gam224

The world's least hype player
In order to address this we need to adress gaming as a whole. In general there aren't a ton of female gamers due to many reasons. First is that most video games are targeted at men. This goes doubly so for MK. Women biologically don't have the same violent tendencies as men. For alot of people including myself seeing my opponent get shredded is a nice little stress reliever after a long day of work. Also it's hard to even find people who enjoy fighting games. Think of how many people you know and how many actually are good at MK.