What's new

When The Patches Come, Do You Prefer They Buff Up, Or Nerf Down?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Nerf the dumb shit that gets through testing and beta then polish up weaker characters.

Also some stuff being buffed/nerfed is beneficial if the move is janky or doesn't work as envisioned.

I know it'll never happen because it's nrs and their balancing is almost as bad as arcsys. they always have knee jerk reactions because they just see what loud minorities complain about. I would rather they buff up. make those not as good characters better so people aren't just switching to the next best thing. no nerfs; just buff the weaker characters

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I am having this debate at the moment and I'm wondering what others think about patching characters. We all know it's coming, but what is the preferred option?

Do you prefer they buff up characters that are lacking in comparison to the top?

Do you prefer they nerf down characters at the top towards the middle?

Why do you feel that way, and what benefit do you think it adds long term over the other option? I'll keep my own thoughts for now to not sway opinion, as I am interested in others.
Both.
Universal Mashables and One Button Character bullshit like Scorpion's teleport and Sub-Zero's safe mixup definitely need adjustments to the level that we were promised.
At the same time D'Vorah used to be such a fearsome character and look at her right now.
I also feel like bringing Jade back just to make her shit tier again is a huge disappointment.

Then again, I'm not surprised all that my character has the worst button in the game with f2 at i28. Literally useless.

i want them to just redesign the completly useless variations. other than that i don't want any buffs or nerfs until 6 months.
if everyone's busted then no one will be. what's busted about erron besides drop kick slide or gun cancels which isn't even that busted y'all complain to complain
you can't fool anyone. b222 is busted as hell and will be nerfed.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I wonder how NRS decides who and what to nerf/buff. Like, what do they look at? Do they read forums/complains and such? Watch tournaments? Have players and testers tell them what to do?:rolleyes:

kcd117

Noob
Nerf down. I feel like I would enjoy much more playing a game full of Grodds rather than a game full of Catwomans.

I tend to play characters that have to work to cover their weaknesses more than they have to worry about oppressing the opponent, and that's where I find the most fun.

Imho all characters should have a lot of holes. It forces the player behind them to play smart and think more about what they are doing. I see a lot of characters in this game that I think seem to be perfectly balanced, able to compete, have a lot of potential, but at the same time have major weaknesses, as all should. Kung Lao, Kano, Skarlet, Jade, Noob Saibot, are examples of characters that I think would be perfect if not for the likes of Erron Black, Geras, Scorpion, Sub, Sonya, Liu Kang being so dominant and complete to the point of making the good-but-not-dumb-characters not worth the trouble.

I particularly hate the idea that all characters in a fighting game should be complete. They shouldn't. It is fair for a dominant zoner to lack great close range moves, it is fair for a heavy rushdown character to do struggle to get in, it is fair for a 50/50 character to do very low dmg, it is fair for a grappler to be slower, etc...

Characters should have downsides, and they should define them more them they strengths do imo. If you balance a game around the ways you can counterplay every character you may end up with one or two shitters but the upper echelon will be much more packed together than when you balance a game around the ways every character can put their shit up on your face for you to deal with and end up with a lot of shitters and Kabals, Cyrax, Zod...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I know it'll never happen because it's nrs and their balancing is almost as bad as arcsys. they always have knee jerk reactions because they just see what loud minorities complain about.
Injustice 2 was one of the better balanced fighting games, and there was nothing 'knee-jerk' about the way it was balanced, but let's keep repeating these falsehoods from years ago.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
if everyone's busted then no one will be. what's busted about erron besides drop kick slide or gun cancels which isn't even that busted y'all complain to complain
This has never been true. It's impossible to make every character the same level of "busted", and so when you give 90% of the roster massive buffs it's just as likely that a couple of characters will just end up dominating the meta anyway. The two types of balancing that actually work historically are 1) Toward the middle 2) Make everyone basically the same so it doesn't matter. I much prefer 1) to 2).

Buff up for the most part.

There's a lot of stuff in this game that just doesn't feel "right" and I think that's the current problem with the balance. THings feel unpolished and unfinished. They should tweak non viable movesets and try to make things better rounded rather than just nuke the characters who are doing well because their moveset is completel.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
For anyone who's actually played the game and labbed the characters just a bit.... you'll notice a huge discrepancy in KBs and move sets.

I for one think most of the characters aren't "done". There are so many odd choices of what launches, what doesnt.... KB requirements, etc etc.

I've used Skarlet for awhile now and still feel baffled as to why she has a move that can launch (bf3 amp) but only in the corner and only off one string that is a High, High.

The damage off that is right in line with a one bar amp, yet i can't do it midscreen?

To me The game just isn't finished. The characters that are at the top are simply "done" while everyone else needed TLC and never got it.

NRS is notorious for having bad hit/hurtbox problems and they never really seem to fix them. Id' rather they spent their time just finishing the rest of the cast to play like MK11... and not be half assed dolls.

i want them to just redesign the completly useless variations. other than that i don't want any buffs or nerfs until 6 months.

you can't fool anyone. b222 is busted as hell and will be nerfed.
you caught me. why don't we just delete erron :DOGE

Injustice 2 was one of the better balanced fighting games, and there was nothing 'knee-jerk' about the way it was balanced, but let's keep repeating these falsehoods from years ago.
injustice 2 was obviously not balanced. it heavily favored characters with strong zoning tools. you're like one of the most gullible nrs shills. i'm definitely talking in general because nrs definitely knee jerk nerfs characters.

This has never been true. It's impossible to make every character the same level of "busted", and so when you give 90% of the roster massive buffs it's just as likely that a couple of characters will just end up dominating the meta anyway. The two types of balancing that actually work historically are 1) Toward the middle 2) Make everyone basically the same so it doesn't matter. I much prefer 1) to 2).
i mean some characters of course will always excel in something better than others but i'm gonna give you a fine example. killer instinct. pretty much every character in that game has something busted in some way and just about every character in that game is viable because of that.

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
The way they nerf kills some characters; just buff the weak.

I’m not so much against the idea of nerfs, as I feel some absurd things should be dealt with, but I really dislike a character getting nerfed and never having there their glaring problems fixed; problems they at have always had, and this has always been a problem within their titles.

My entire dilemma is that they fix some characters hitbox problems but not others. I understand you cannot change every character the same but whiffing issues has been a deliberate criminal offense in these games, considering they should be practically common sense, their method to this madness just escapes me.

Xzyj

Noob
buff everyone to kabal and cyrax mk9 status of broken, make the game fun and exe heavy :O

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I hope they resist buffing overheads and actually nerf some of the more rewarding or safe 50/50's that currently exist. I really want an NRS game that isn't mixup city. I say this as a CO Sonya main in mkx, the epitome of a guessing game.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
Always buff, never nerf unless extreme cases. Buffing makes people happy. Nerfing can make people pissed enough to quit.

Usually people are fair about their characters and can admit if something is broken or unfair to a point where it needs to be nerfed as buffing everyone to an extreme level is stupid. But for more reasonable things, always buff weaker moves to be competitive yet still fair.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Here's my list that would make me happy:

- Fix hitboxes
- Barakas D2 and Kollectors 44 and U2 wakeup go through characters.
  • Fatal Blows are a joke right now. They need to only be 10% damage raw and in my opinion they should do more damage when incorporated into a combo to reward execution. Not just some YOLO shit that sometimes gets stuffed and sometimes doesn't.
  • Throws are a cancer right now. Throw teching is a 50/50 and you shouldn't eat a 30%+ combo for teching wrong
  • D2 KB's are ridiculous. With so many high strings and starters in this game theres no way not to get hit.
  • Rolling on wakeup needs to be more punishable besides using throws. I literally baited out rolls tonight to punish and got punished in return with a full combo.
  • Buff the characters that need to be buffed and leave the top tier top.

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
I'd prefer if they didn't patch this game just yet and let it breathe. But when they do patch it, buff everyone