What's new

When do you guys go for a throw?

DeftMonk

Noob
Most opponents I face seem to be going for a throw in these situations: after wakeup U3, after a stagger, after a poke hits, after a Jump in is blocked. When do you guys go for throw? Character specific stuff also welcome.

Vagrant

Noob
All of those spots you listed in the OP are good but be careful after u3. Ppl scout them alot now. Basically throws are a good option anytime you think the opponent will sit still and block. Mid block string, frame traps, blocked jump ins, after low pokes, after standing resets, after they do something slightly minus, those are all situations where the opponent might want to block. They can still blow it up or tech of course but then you can blow up that too if you read that and that guessing game cycles around and around.

Another spot we don't talk about as much that I like throw is in the mid range neutral game like right outside of jump/ dash distance. If you think theyre going to sit and scout a jump or sit and block projectiles or you think they might try to dash in and start their offense you do dash throw. It also kind of works outside mid range where you're zoning and you think they're about to dash into mid range. You can also dash and meet them at the end of their dash and throw them. Instead of throw you could also just start your offense with dash into block strings in this situation but obviously it won't beat them sitting and blocking.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
  • if my opponent blocking too much..
  • if my opponent just used breakaway at the unexpected time.
  • if i am Shao Kahn and i decided use reversal krushing blow throw.
if i am Frost, Liu Kang or Noob and i need use those krushing blow throws.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
when you are + frames, when you identify a blocking pattern in your opponent
Throw after a blocked s2 with sq dvorah was my favourite thing to do in mkx
Now when I do it with kabal after a +3 s2 I get d2‘ed almost all of the time
Either some people just mash way more in mk11 or they are just way too fucking brave to bait a throw against kabal

DeftMonk

Noob
My friend told me if ur not throwing as many times in one match as you wank in a week your either doin it wrong or you got some serious problems. After such advice I started throwing Willy nilly. You’d be surprised how many normals you will just straight up counter with throwing if you start throwing like it’s your go to.

Gaxkang

Banned
Well...

When I D1 and it hits

When I D1 and its blocked I still try for a throw (ya never know)

On someone's wakeup

Sometimes on really unsafe moves that could be punished with a string, but sometimes I go for a throw because it feels surer than how clumsy the inputs can sometimes be

Really much of the time all you can do in the game is go for throws, but it carries risks from someone mashing D2.

SeymorSlash216

Kahn Man
On plus frames

When D1 hits and my opponent respects it

After a JIP into 44 or naked f4 with Shao if my opponent starts to respect the plus frames

After ex db2 with Skarlet when I have someone in an Oki position to mix things up

When I have my opponent in the DoW mixer

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
When I'm using Cage, it's usually:

After U3 on wakeup
After F344 AMP Forceball on block, or after a 124 on block
If the opponent is blocking a lot

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Throw is the togo mid replacement playing Johnny lul. You dont always ever come out on top trying to hit people with 14 frame f4 after blocking a poke lul

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Throw is the togo mid replacement playing Johnny lul. You dont always ever come out on top trying to hit people with 14 frame f4 after blocking a poke lul
Johnny's meta is slight walkback into full punish, d4, etc. There are more options than just immediately going into the followup.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If they block too much, after a stager, after not finishing a string fully (or you know, dropping a combo), after knockdown in the corner, after their throw whiffs cause it's funny, etc.,

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
One of my specialties is conditioning the opponent. Not as great in ft2’s, but great for longer sets. So I generally go for throws as often as possible. Once they start noticing the patterns and ducking, I take advantage and only throw when necessary, like reveral throws and counter throws if they’re poking too much. This allows me to abuse staggers and mids far more safely. Plus, my 3 characters have amazing throw setups or throw loops.