What's new

What's Your Opinion on MK11 Marketing so Far?

MK11 Marketing So Far Is

• Good

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 39 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raider

Noob
There is a lot of discussion about MK11 marketing online so i added a simple poll to this thread just to see what majority of MK fans thinks about the marketing for the game so far.
What do you think about it? Are you disappointed? Did you expect more from NRS/WB? What's your opinion on major reveals happening on Kombat Kasts? Are you happy with what we got and what we know (or don't know) about the game so far?
Game is releasing in less than 7 weeks.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I’m happy they brought my man Liu Kang back. The real kind one from MK 1-4, not that MK9-X asshole.
As for the marketing, I think they’re doing good, except for those awful mobile streams, wasted week

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's shite.

They showed screenshots of characters then they forgot about them, revealed other characters by killing the hype and being obvious about who it was on twitter. They then chose to do a whole Kombat Kast on their mobile game.

It's shite.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Well I was going to buy the game regardless but the reveal was sick! The trailers have all been good, especially Johnny's. Kasts are good but maybe not as great as past games. I think two problems are that they've been hinting or straight telling us the characters they reveal with Jade/Johnny so there's less surprise in the couple they've done so far, but they have plenty of time to rectify that. I also wish that we knew more about the competitive system and would either start showing us the real variations we'll be able to use or just talk about the whole thing more. People made a good point with Injustice 2's Watchtower, we knew that all the gear moves were gear moves and kind of what our competitive character looked like.

But in terms of general marketing I think they are doing a good job and I see zero issues with them waiting until closer to release for reveals and more trailer stuff.

Mst

Noob
When they announced that they have a reveal event and the release date of the game is so close I honestly expected a better pacing of the reveals. Kombat Kasts and the event were kinda disappointing atleast we had the Ketchup/Mustard videos.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Mediocre.

What they did right was to announce the game with a cinematic trailer during a big awards show and then launch a massive community reveal event for the gameplay reveal. They got content creators to play and record the game. They offered Ketchup and Mustard and extra chance to get back to the game and finish their introduction guides to the reveal build characters.
What they also did right was to tease Kabal during the reveal event and show that fan favorites are coming back. But most stuff afterwards was just meh. From missed opportunities to hype killers.

- They should have revealed Liu Kang and Kitana during the 14th of February Kombat Kast (Valentine's Day).
- They shouldn't have anti-hype-teased characters before revealing them, like they did it with Jade and Johnny Cage.
- They shouldn't have wasted an entire week worth of actual reveals for the Mobile Kombat Kast. Barely anyone wants to see that.
- They should have done something more for D'Vorah and Kano, than just showing two renders and calling it a day. Kano is just now getting a Kombat Kast, but that again will be like... Eh. Show me something I haven't seen yet.
- The Kombat Kasts are at times very, very cringe and painful to watch. I would also much rather see more of Washed Up Warriors matches than Tyler and Derek jumping around and blocking once every blue moon.
- The Kollectors Edition is waaay too expensive. Like what are you doing?

NRS has his track record of kinda having mediocre reveals leading up to the release of their game... And then you all of a sudden get a story trailer, which showcases a ton of shit like new characters, story elements and so on. And you're see these missed opportunities left and right.

Raider

Noob
When they announced that they have a reveal event and the release date of the game is so close I honestly expected a better pacing of the reveals. Kombat Kasts and the event were kinda disappointing atleast we had the Ketchup/Mustard videos.
Similar opinion here.
Since it was revealed that the game will be released in April i was expecting more "explosive" and better marketing campaign.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The reveal trailer and reveal event were incredible.

I think the game looks amazing and I'm going to buy the premium edition, I'll probably buy it for switch too if it can hold 60fps. I'm sold on what I've seen from the game it's self.

However, aside from the reveal event, reveal trailer, and Cage trailer, the marketing isn't nearly as good as MKX. When a character was revealed in X, Ed Boon did a talk through on all of their variations, the kombat kasts were much more detailed it felt like. The best part of these casts is the washed up warriors and they only play two games, that's pretty rough to me. I like 16 Bit, Tyler, and Derek, but the kombat kasts aren't nearly as engaging to me as in the last two games, despite MK11 being the game that I'm looking forward to the most. For fucks sake, the game comes out in just over a month and we don't even know how the competitive mode is going to work in terms of variations. To me that kind of a problem. I don't have an issue with the character reveals and the roster it's self is pretty great. I voted mediocre because the so-so marketing is balanced out by how fantastic the game looks, Cage in MK11 has produced more hype for me than any other video game character so far.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Mediocre. What they have shown hasn't been bad, it's just that you would think we would have seen more by now. We can technically say "Mortal Kombat 11 is out next month" but there is still so much we haven't seen. I understand why they would want to keep the story, costumes, and other things like that a secret, but it's taking too long to learn about all the characters, what the competitive variations are going to be, whether not online has any changes like a proper Ranked mode, etc.

Even on the Kombat Kasts when they have like an hour just to show off ONE character, they still manage to not show all of the moves, or even forget what moves they are suppose to be showing. They are trying to keep everything a secret so they can surprise people, but it's starting to backfire.

The entire roster leaked, but I'm sure on the next Kombat Kast they will pretend like nothing happened and will continue with the messy format they have been doing. They will show a little bit of what Kano has to offer, have a few sets, and then be like "so we will probably be back with another Kombat Kast next week -- we don't have an exact date, so bare with us -- but we have a lot of people on our Twitter and social medias asking us "Where's D'Vorah?" so guess what? Next week we will be showing D'Vorah." have to wait another week to see gameplay for one character they announced a month ago.

Raider

Noob
Mediocre. What they have shown hasn't been bad, it's just that you would think we would have seen more by now. We can technically say "Mortal Kombat 11 is out next month" but there is still so much we haven't seen. I understand why they would want to keep the story, costumes, and other things like that a secret, but it's taking too long to learn about all the characters, what the competitive variations are going to be, whether not online has any changes like a proper Ranked mode, etc.

Even on the Kombat Kasts when they have like an hour just to show off ONE character, they still manage to not show all of the moves, or even forget what moves they are suppose to be showing. They are trying to keep everything a secret so they can surprise people, but it's starting to backfire.

The entire roster leaked, but I'm sure on the next Kombat Kast they will pretend like nothing happened and will continue with the messy format they have been doing. They will show a little bit of what Kano has to offer, have a few sets, and then be like "so we will probably be back with another Kombat Kast next week -- we don't have an exact date, so bare with us -- but we have a lot of people on our Twitter and social medias asking us "Where's D'Vorah?" so guess what? Next week we will be showing D'Vorah." have to wait another week to see gameplay for one character they announced a month ago.
Omg this is SO accurate.

Raider

Noob
People are complaining about the marketing, partly because there are actual flaws, but mostly because people are impatient.
I don't think that it's about being impatient really. I understand that not everything has to be revealed, showed, talked about... etc.
It's just that MK deserves better imo. And what they are doing with Kombat Kasts and marketing overall is just... bad. I am sorry to say this but i am far from being the only one.