What's new

What's Your Opinion on MK11 Marketing so Far?

MK11 Marketing So Far Is

• Good

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 39 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Close to a dumpster fire. The still reveals of Kano and D'Vorah almost felt like anti-hype lacking a trailer... a teaser with an intro to see them move and talk would have went a long way. Since the reveal there's only been 3 trailers and there's only 7 weeks until launch. It feels like NRS is behind schedule. I'm guessing it's because they won't show off anyone on the roster until they are completely finished. Don't get me wrong everything I've seen looks amazing... Wake me up when March 28th and April 23rd come.

Kombat Kasts are upsetting with how terrible they are. Theoretically, I would hate that leaks are sabotaging people’s hard work, but I really don’t mind with these Kombat Kasts we’ve been getting. Unprofessional, boring, and annoying. The crew they have don’t seem to even try to make the Kasts entertaining. They treat it less like a professional presentation and more like a Saturday hangout with friends. It’s completely unorganized and a pain to watch week after week.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
No kidding. The whole thing with the IGN Johnny trailer where he was saying we were getting 2 reveals and then NRS's post was unclear so they corrected themselves because their wording was shit. That was a whole other level of dumb.
And the whole OH LOOK ED BOON DIDN'T POST A SPOON. "THERE IS NO SPOON" SO NEO CONFIRMED
it's just idiotic.
We don't need "character reveal" we want to know what we're buying.

"So we owe it to our fans to let them know that THESE are the characters we are planning plus some new ones you can look forward to. More info as we go along." and then they can REVEAL the characters as in, show us what's new in the game about them.

idk it's just disrespectful the way people who have already bought the game are thrown a friggin bone once every two weeks

Holy shit. This is going to be my go-to for how spoiled this community is. NRS has 100% FREE the best community engagement of any fighting game. Yes, even compared to Tekken and Killer Instinct which had pretty great community engagement.

People voting mediocre or lower- please give me a list of fighting games that have had a better pre-release hype cycle than MK11

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Holy shit. This is going to be my go-to for how spoiled this community is. NRS has 100% FREE the best community engagement of any fighting game. Yes, even compared to Tekken and Killer Instinct which had pretty great community engagement.

People voting mediocre or lower- please give me a list of fighting games that have had a better pre-release hype cycle than MK11

The main complaint is no official showing of the roster about a month and half out. It's a legitimate complaint. Im fairly certain sfv had character trailers released months in advance. Has any other modern fighting game franchise revealed the roster this close to launch?

Last edited:
we want to know what we're buying.
A fighting game which is the 11th instalment in the MK franchise.

You've seen gameplay, you've seen more than 1/3 of the roster, you can probably guess at least 60% of the rest of the roster. They've explained and/or shown all of the new mechanics in the game.

Do you need to see the entire roster, every fatality, every brutality, every stage and everything else just to make sure you "know" what you're buying?

Chances are people will just complain at everything they see anyway...

Maybe it's just me?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Kombat Kasts are upsetting with how terrible they are. Theoretically, I would hate that leaks are sabotaging people’s hard work, but I really don’t mind with these Kombat Kasts we’ve been getting. Unprofessional, boring, and annoying. The crew they have don’t seem to even try to make the Kasts entertaining. They treat it less like a professional presentation and more like a Saturday hangout with friends. It’s completely unorganized and a pain to watch week after week.
That’s exactly how they’ve intended them to be since the MKX beginnings... lol.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
A fighting game which is the 11th instalment in the MK franchise.

You've seen gameplay, you've seen more than 1/3 of the roster, you can probably guess at least 60% of the rest of the roster. They've explained and/or shown all of the new mechanics in the game.

Do you need to see the entire roster, every fatality, every brutality, every stage and everything else just to make sure you "know" what you're buying?

Chances are people will just complain at everything they see anyway...

Maybe it's just me?
I think you're blowing it out of proportion.

I said about the roster. That's what has people hysterical and NRS isn't delivering.
If the game was like Tekken we'd get everyone and a few new faces too tbh and nobody would have to worry about missing their fav

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
honestly, with the exception of the Kombat Kast's having a weird tone this time around, I think it's been great. I'm a huge 21 Savage fan so him making a song for the reveal trailer was really cool to me. It's not NRS' fault that you all only want the same three songs from 1995 in trailers lol.

And the character reveals have been cool too. If it wasn't for the leaks that have come out so far, I'd probably give them a 9.5 or 10/10 in terms of a grade.

The main complaint is no official showing of the roster about a month and half out. It's a legitimate complaint. Im fairly certain sfv had character trailers released months in advance. Has any other modern fighting game franchise revealed the roster this close to launch?
SFV hardly had any engagement at all. Also you didn't answer my question. What company had better pre release engagement in the genre? Next.

did you say better than ki? when iron galaxy came in, revealed a character, and actually broke down the character to the core and not just bullshit around on a couch like the kombat goons? please

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
SFV hardly had any engagement at all. Also you didn't answer my question. What company had better pre release engagement in the genre? Next.
I wasnt really arguing engagement. Kinda arguing that nrs is lacking in the one area other companies typically hit. Doesnt seem to make them better at marketing if they cant get the basics right.

This is likely the most subjective question one could ask about the game so far...

For mine, because my bleating for the [re-]inclusion of avatar related has finally been heeded, it's difficult to not be pleased so far (...wasted rosters slots and 'odd' character design changes notwithstanding). On the other hand, if I take the 'Kahn' mask off for a moment, I think the marketing has been lacklustre (albeit, not quite, flat-out "bad"):

- reveal trailer somewhat spoilt by non-sequitur, gangsta crap rap BGM (*Should have sequestered such 'culturally specific sensibilities' for the Briggs / Jax / Geras reveals)
- Kombat Kasts sparse on info (*Single character reveals would be okay, if they came with some more gameplay, game content and development 'road map' exposition... This may also play into why leaks happen -- why not drop the roster leak back when it was first intimated, instead 'curiously' timing it so perfectly with peoples' inquietude about "not enough reveal content"...?)
- Demo / "stress test" only for a few days and only for the two, major consoles (*Not good enough -- sorry... PC etc. players pay for the product too... and fighting games need a lot of hands-on to get even remotely right)
- Ed Boon kind of silent (*It may be to do with leaks... Maybe it's to do with stress / deadlines... Maybe it's to do with male pattern balding... Or, maybe it's just Maybelline®)

Promotion rating: 8.5/10 (with Kahn) | 5.5/10 (without)

JDM

Noob
Downright bad. I was incredibly hype for MK11 and they took so much of my hype away with these horrible kombat kasts (not showing real variations, mainly), slow and lackluster reveals, and little good gameplay footage even on KK's. I didn't even preorder because none of the characters appealed to me until Johnny.

Ketchup and Mustard's vids are probably the main things that kept my hype going for MK11, but now it's dwindled pretty low tbh. The leak helped but not by much until I see gameplay of the characters I like.

Overall, really bad. Idk how NRS managed to kill my hype but they did it, bravo.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Injustice 2? Aside from the silence that happened for a couple months, they actually did really good with that game in my opinion. Like their site had countdowns for when the next reveal would happen, they would update the site with renders and bios, they showed multiple characters on stream sometimes, they had a mobile game, comics, etc.

The silence was the worst part of Injustice 2 pre-release, but I wouldn't say that it was definitively worse than Mortal Kombat 11 taking way longer to get revealed, only to tell everyone to wait over a month for an event to see gameplay. Like we've done more waiting overall with Mortal Kombat 11 than we did for that 3 month silence during Injustice 2. That's just the way I see it, anyway.

I don't think NRS has bad communications, but I do think the way they have been handling reveals with this game has been really weird. It feels like they have had plenty of time to sort everything out, yet the reveals still feel rushed in some aspects.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Why are you comparing to other games in this genre? Your premise is ridiculous. If NRS had always settled for shitty FG standards, Mortal Kombat wouldn't be outgrossing Street Fighter and Tekken as hard as it is. NRS wouldn't have some of the best graphics in the entire gaming industry, they wouldn't have by far and away the best story mode in the genre, they wouldn't have an infinity of single player content modes and shit to unlock that'll keep even the most casual players playing for years. Fortunately for us, NRS shits all over most FG standards, and elevates fighting games to be comparable to AAA games in other genres. That's why many people expect better here.

After the Johnny reveal I promised myself I wouldn't complain about MK11's marketing, so I'll keep my promise breaking very brief and non-bitchy.

I think it's an incredibly silly marketing decision to not provide an individual character trailer for every single non-secret character. We're still going to see the entire roster revealed, the only difference is that instead of every character getting their glorious moment in the spotlight and helping to build the hype, half of them will be revealed through a throwaway scene in a story or gameplay trailer.

They're sitting on a hype goldmine and letting it go to waste. I challenge you to make sense of their marketing strategy even if you aren't the least bit bothered by it.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
What "other companies" in the fighting game genre. Name them. Ill wait
Smash bros ultimate is one. I already mentioned sfv. Killer instinct was released november 2013 but had their 5th(out of 6) character reveal by august. By april 2nd every character but one was released in injustice 2 despite it's release date may 11th. MvCI is the closest one to nrs current release. They released their final trailer 1 month before release.

I dont really feel like looking for more because it's not like people label trailers as before release.

Edit: guess im waiting now...

Last edited:
It's too late now obviously, but they really should not have let us know who they were going to reveal before every Kombat cast. It isn't nearly as hype going in when I am 100% sure they are going to reveal Kabal, Jade and Johnny days before. It's like NRS are acting like little kids with a secret that they just can't keep. I'm not saying I think NRS are children, just that that's how the hints made them look to me.

I voted mediocre because they are clearly getting the word out about the game with stunts like Rousey WWE stuff. While I personally don't like having wrestlers voice acting in the game, it does seem to have paid off.

Also, the game itself looks amazing so the game kinda markets itself. I mean I personally don't like the marketing strategy NRS has used, buy when I see actual gameplay I get hyped and that's the most important thing.