What's new

What's Your Opinion on MK11 Marketing so Far?

MK11 Marketing So Far Is

• Good

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 39 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Even on the Kombat Kasts when they have like an hour just to show off ONE character, they still manage to not show all of the moves, or even forget what moves they are suppose to be showing.
This is the part that is indefensible. The little bit we are getting is coming off half assed as opposed to a well planned and thought out Kast. Not going into everything else, but I voted bad. I'm sure the game will be great.

Raider

Noob
This is the part that is indefensible. The little bit we are getting is coming off half assed as opposed to a well planned and thought out Kast. Not going into everything else, but I voted bad. I'm sure the game will be great.
This is big issue. Everything looks very unprofessional and how many times they had audio issues, how many times they forgot to show or mention something, how they are not even showing characters or anything else in depth... they literally spend 10 minutes on character the Kombat Kast IS ABOUT. And then they just start playing their matches, that's it, bye.

The Jan 17 community reveal was amazing and one of the most exciting industry events I've ever seen. Since then, we mostly just have the Kringe Kasts to work with and they're dreadful aside from the character trailers. Freelancers like Ketchup and Mustard have done a better job in showing the characters than 16 bit. So I'd say it's a mixed bag, leaning towards the negative if all we have to look forward to are more belt battles and teasing.

Last edited:

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
It's terrible for hardcore fans. Probably fine for casuals since I assume theyl dump a bunch of trailers and gameplay in april to get that impulse buy before release. If they dont do that then I think it's fair to call it shit marketing.

The Kombat Kasts haven't been very appealing to me. Honestly, all i want is to see high-level gameplay with newly revealed characters.

I like the character breakdowns but the gameplay afterwards leaves something to be desired. I want to see them using the new flawless block, krushing blow, amplify, short hop mechanics effectively.

I wanna see string variation and cool set ups. I don't want to watch people do 3 button strings into specials for 20 minutes.

Even when Dizzy and 16-bit were playing it felt like watching two beginners, which is weird because they've been playing this game for months.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
It's especially irritating considering how they set themselves up for an epic campaign. They had an almost perfect reveal, then 3ish months to release. They could easily have had a steady drip of info. Want to build hype? Periodically drop a trailer or two every week. Start off with classic characters, reveal something big/new(maybe an insane rework or new character) start getting into story etc by the time release is rolling around. Use the kasts to show off characters from the trailers you released without teasing/etc. Maybe have a some popular people come out near release and play with the final build. Like theres so many things they could have done better imo.

That being said im not a casual fan and I think that's where most of their sales come from so I guess rushing everything out last minute will be better

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
It's terrible for hardcore fans. Probably fine for casuals since I assume theyl dump a bunch of trailers and gameplay in april to get that impulse buy before release. If they dont do that then I think it's fair to call it shit marketing.
this .... we gonna pay for this game, because it seems really a good game , but from a stand point regarding big marketing strategy, surely could be way way much more well promoted than NRS being doing so far .... so yeah, us, hardcore fans, will buy the game, but, we are very disapointed with the poor promotion of MK11 ..... we have more or less 6 remaining weeks until the game come out, and less than half of the roster was oficially showed .... we have 0 info regarding extra modes, DLCs , how the krypt will wok out ..... Kombat Kasts are boring and lazy stuff , and they even waste time showing that crap Mobile version .... I consider MK the best fighting game franchise ever, but, their promotion process get worse each time a new game comes, so, cannot really understand wtf happens ! :confused:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Better than MK9 reveal event, mediocre compared to INJ, MKX, and INJ2 reveal event. Maybe because we have such a short time till release but I preorder the Premium edition a month ago so they are doing their job.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
They also keep hyping us up and then not delivering. Last week irritated me:

"Exciting special guest" and "HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT YOU WONT WANNA MISS"

Turns out to just be some IGN intern and a US only stress test. Wow. Much special guest very huge news NRS.

They need to spend more time going over the character. Stream is over an hour but they cover 3 strings and go over loadouts but dont actually touch krushing blows or more nuanced stuff. Felt like they were hurrying to get Johnny out of the way.

Remember them showing concept art and walking through the design process in MKX?

Gone

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer

Turns out to just be some IGN intern and a US only stress test. Wow. Much special guest very huge news NRS.

They need to spend more time going over the character. Stream is over an hour but they cover 3 strings and go over loadouts but dont actually touch krushing blows or more nuanced stuff. Felt like they were hurrying to get Johnny out of the way.

Remember them showing concept art and walking through the design process in MKX?

Gone
Yea that was bs. Straight clickbait tactics

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
when some random dude does a real MK11 roster leak = you get hyped a lot for the game :p

while on KK = slow and boring promotion, padding out content, waste of time segments, and etc :mad:

then you know something is dead serious wrong with MK 11 marketing promotion !! :D

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Just because you don't live in the US(I'm assuming because you don't like it) doesn't mean the announcement of what is essentially a beta two weeks before people expected to play is fucking hype. Some of the biggest news they could announce

Gamer68

Fujin!
One thing I don't understand is why they refuse to show multiple characters.

Mortal Kombat X had multiple Kombat Kasts that showed off multiple characters:
  • Kitana and Reptile
  • Mileena and Takeda
  • Erron Black and Liu Kang (or Kung Jin, can't remember...)
  • Maybe another?
And this. It's like they are only interested in showing a trailer (that probably has audio issues, by the way), going into a breakdown that doesn't actually breakdown everything, and then conclude with sets and sometimes they don't even use the new character they are showing in the sets. Like last time was all about Johnny Cage but we still had to watch a Sonya and Jade set, yay.

I remember during the Kitana and Reptile stream for MKX, they actually showed concept art for the characters and talked about the design process. They also had a behind-the-scenes video at one point showing how they capture audio for Fatalities. The only design process talks that we've seen is Derrick explaining that while making Jade they had to make her "a badass, but also sexy" when the same thing can be said for Kitana, Mileena, or almost any other MK female. It just didn't feel like he could really get into talking about the character for real, you know what I mean?

EDIT: I believe they also had streams for Injustice 2 that showed off multiple characters, right?

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Just because you don't live in the US(I'm assuming because you don't like it) doesn't mean the announcement of what is essentially a beta two weeks before people expected to play is fucking hype. Some of the biggest news they could announce
It's not remotely ok to tell your entire fanbase theres a big announcement when it only applies to one portion. Imagine any other person/company trying to get away with that. Like a streamer saying theyl be doing a give away today on stream then u tune in to the entire stream just to find out it's only for people from their hometown. They could have easily added u.s. to that tweet but they wanted to ho for views

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
NRS is doing a fine job with marketing. It’s not their fault the gaming community is full of greedy idiots who want everything immediately.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Simply unfair.
The reveal was hyping....and then they seem to have laughing on our hype, the hype they created. The kombatkast are just for one character (previously announced), the mobile KK are absurd....and the launch date is coming with half of the cast unseen.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I loved the first trailer with Skarlet and Baraka. It was an awesome start of things.

But now everything is dull and the leaks steal the show mostly.

Johnny, Jade and Kabal were all spoiled before shown, taking away the hype a bit, the belt battles and mobile kast were/are cringe-worthy and boring extreme.

Not to begin about Kano and Maya the Bee...

Two characters each kast would be awesome in my opinion.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The fact that this thread exists means they're doing something right because you're all talking about it.

Also...that mobile hate is pretty elitist. A lot of people play NRS' mobile games(or else they wouldn't make them), so I'm sure if you're in that crowd it feels good to be catered to.

The Kombat Kasts are fine.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It’s the best they’ve done so far, it’s great. I’m more excited to play this game than any NRS game pre-release by a pretty large margin.

Maybe for the casual playerbase the marketing campaign is good, but for people like us on TYM this is not a good campaign. I voted Mediocre and here's why :

+ Great reveal trailer and great reveal event
+ The steamDB "leak" was a smart move to tease without revealing everything
+ Well crafted trailers BUT...

- ... too much teasing before them, killing a part of the hype
- Reveals of characters through boring renders
- Too much gameplay related informations not being shared
- Anti-hype Mobile Kasts
- Way too much time between the reveals despite the game being announced ~3 months before the release
- Overselling announcements with disappointing results

For the last negative point, I am referring to the "Huge announcement" regarding the beta that only concerns the US (I am biased here as an European, I can understand that a US player will not see that as a negative point) and the "exciting guest". Everybody expected like a voice actor that would reveal his character, but no, it was a journalist from IGN that talked about a character revealed in the morning of the same day. I have no idea if that journalist is known in the US, but to me he brought nothing of value.

I'd also point other minor negative points :
- In the Kombat Kasts, for the belt battle, please do not tea bag or switch stance during the fatality sequence. First we lose an opportunity to show a new finisher and it's very childish, it does not seem professional and can bore newcomers that watch the stream.
- And please do not announce the character about to be revealed right before showing us the trailer. Also don't overtease the announcement like you did with Jade, the green images were not subtile at all.

I remember for MKX how the hinting was more fun and complex to understand. Ed tweeted a picture showing the background of the pit and then he tweeted "773-202-LUNA" to tease Reptile. Okay this one was kinda obvious, but you know what I'm saying. Giving encrypted messages will make people be invested in the reveal, some will understand and will be happy with that "I knew it!" feeling and the ones that didn't understand are surprised by the revealed character and will be motivated to find the next one.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
So-So.

I think the timing was spot on. I’m not a fan of the slow leaks this close to launch but they did a great job with the April release. I was expecting a nonstop onslaught of information for 4 months instead of the long drag of the MKX marketing that would go silent for months at a time.

So in comparison to mkx, it’s great. Compared to my expectations of 4 months of nonstop information, it’s mediocre. Aside from the reveal event and cage kast, the best parts of the game have been crappy leak photos. That said I can’t hate on them, I will be playing it in a month. I just expected better I guess. The timing is awesome though, props on that.