What's new

What's Your Opinion on MK11 Marketing so Far?

MK11 Marketing So Far Is

• Good

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 58 50.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 39 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Merciful.

Personally, as someone who used to write about games, I am always thrilled when a publisher announces a game 4-5 months away from release, rather than some drawn out year and a half or two year bullshit parade.

You can quibble about the specifics, but we're getting new characters and new info on an almost weekly basis since the major reveal event. Some weeks we get a Kombat Kast and major reveal, other weeks we get some trickle like a character still or costume exclusive. It's not always gold, but it's something. And we can always console ourselves that the beta is only a few weeks away.

It's a hell of a lot better than the drip feed of tepid screen shots and 30 second "teasers" that spill out of most triple A games these days.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
i'm not voting. i think they are focusing on Rhonda Rousey as promotion. they already have the fans buying. I've heard of several others who know of her and apparently think she's a big deal and been an MMA fighter and in the WWE. All of these people are not ones who play the game religiously but know of it. As far as Boon and such using youtubers that basically get their news from news sites and flood youtube and then get retweeted realize they are just being used as free marketing enjoy the two dollars they get from royalties or have other jobs. That I do not like nor do I support or watch those videos. But a dollar is a dollar so good for them.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Oh, I forgot about Rousey. Personally I think having a Sandyhook denier representing your game is a Bad Look™, but everyone has a short memory and mainstream fans who aren't hyper plugged in to fighting game message boards that kind of heat matters.

I'd rather she had nothing to do with the game. Would be way more stoked to see Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa reprise his role as Shang Tsung or some other nod to long time fans.

I gotta say it's mind-boggling to me that some of the people saying that netherrealm ruined the suprise by hinting at the character reveals are the same ones who were happy about the roster leak and thought it was a good think for Netherrealm.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Holy shit. This is going to be my go-to for how spoiled this community is. NRS has 100% FREE the best community engagement of any fighting game. Yes, even compared to Tekken and Killer Instinct which had pretty great community engagement.

People voting mediocre or lower- please give me a list of fighting games that have had a better pre-release hype cycle than MK11
I voted mediocre because I think the marketing is mediocre.

That doesn't mean I think the marketing for other fighting games is necessarily better than it is for this game. The poll is "MK11 marketing so far is" not, "is MK11's marketing shittier than Tekken or KI?" I certainly don't feel that I am entitled to anything but I voted mediocre because I genuinely feel that way.

As for the list of fighting games that I feel had better marketing and community engagement than MK11 thus far
Mortal Kombat X
Injustice 2

I think both of these games were shown better, the kombat kast/watchtower streams seemed more professional and organized, and despite them being revealed much earlier, there were much better trailers and we were never starved for hype. In this game, they're like "Kano and D'Vorah are gonna be in I guess, we'll show you them like a month later", and barely even show the character in their kombat kasts. We still don't even know how the freakin game will function competitively. It isn't that I feel NRS is dropping the ball as compared to their competitors, they are dropping the ball as compared to their own past.

I don't think it's an issue of being spoiled or entitled, I and probably everyone in this thread loves these games and NRS. I respect the shit out of Ed Boon, Tyler, Derek, and 16 Bit, and MK 11 looks like it is going to be an absolutely amazing game, but as far as the marketing is concerned, it feels incredibly weak compared to their last two efforts.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's not remotely ok to tell your entire fanbase theres a big announcement when it only applies to one portion. Imagine any other person/company trying to get away with that. Like a streamer saying theyl be doing a give away today on stream then u tune in to the entire stream just to find out it's only for people from their hometown. They could have easily added u.s. to that tweet but they wanted to ho for views
Yeah that example might make sense if my home town was a country full of 300 million people, where NRS is based and is their primary market. Alright yeah they could have specified USA for the other english speaking countries who might be watching but you guys are acting like they violated your trust, stop being so dramatic. They advertised a big announcement and they gave a big announcement

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m super confused, what are people’s issue with the Kombat Kasts? They show so much more in depth stuff than they used to. And having @16 Bit there is the best decision they could have made. He speaks our language completely.

Do y’all want them to spoon feed you every little detail of every single character? Seriously, what is the issue?

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
I have business administration degree, i am somekind of marketing expertise and still working for Sodexo Turkey Benefits and Rewards Services. If a trademark is big enough you don't really have to do ekstra marketing things. No one wants to spend extra money in this situation. Let me explain;

Imagine your marketing budget is 100.000 USD and you will sell 5.000.000 copies by this decision.
If your marketing budget is 200.000 USD and you will sell 5.100.000 copies! this extra 100.000 USD means lose money.

I have business administration degree, i am somekind of marketing expertise and still working for Sodexo Turkey Benefits and Rewards Services. If a trademark is bigger enough you don't really have to do ekstra marketing things. No one wants to spend extra money in this situation. Let me explain;

Imagine your marketing budget is 100.000 USD and you will sell 5.000.000 copies by this decision.
If your marketing budget is 200.000 USD and you will sell 5.100.000 copies! this extra 100.000 USD means lose money.
OK look you will never see me claim to be particularly intelligent, but in that example didn't spending an extra $100,000 on marketing yield $6,000,000 more revenue (at least)? After other parties get their cut, wouldn't the $100,000 extra spent still be easily justified?

Edit: you were probably pointing out that the extra $100,000 yielded a much smaller percentage return? So they don't lose money, but the misunderstanding is probably just a consequence of English not being your first language (if I hazard a guess).

And speaking of not particularly intelligent people, what the fuck Rousey was a Sandy Hook denier? Ok I googled and it doesn't strike me that she was necessarily a denier, just that she had trouble telling bullshit from reality. She did offer an apology, and who knows maybe she has developed intellectually a bit since then?

Last edited:

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
OK look you will never see me claim to be particularly intelligent, but in that example didn't spending an extra $100,000 on marketing yield $6,000,000 more revenue (at least)? After other parties get their cut, wouldn't the $100,000 extra spent still be easily justified?

And speaking of not particularly intelligent people, what the fuck Rousey was a Sandy Hook denier? Ok I googled and it doesn't strike me that she was necessarily a denier, just that she had trouble telling bullshit from reality. She did offer an apology, and who knows maybe she has developed intellectually a bit since then?
Economic table is the key. You have to be analitic if you run a company. Also this game itself is a marketing stuff. I am not a Rousey fan but if you ask me she was a good marketing decision. As a fighting game company you always wants to impress the people who likes fighting, fighting shows or fighting games.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think that the marketing is amazing for the casual fans who don't really mind if their fav is in or not. Those people that pick up mortal kombat, play online a few times, not members of this website for example.

For those diehard fans, the people that watch the kombat kasts and what not, is rather mediocre. They show us characters and reveal *officially* as much as they can (IE showing us D'vorah). However, they really tend to make these reveals less exciting. Posting the green image obviously confirmed Jade which for me killed my anticipation. Furthermore, for the diehard fans that legitimately care about the roster, any and all hype has most likely be subsided by finding out who is in. Everything they reveal is not news now, but rather, just confirming already solid information.

I think they're doing good -- catering to the people that are just here to see the new fatalities, blood, and other shock value. That's great and that will make them money so, it's good.

Economic table is the key. You have to be analitic if you run a company. Also this game itself is a marketing stuff. I am not a Rousey fan but if you ask me she was a good marketing decision. As a fighting game company you always wants to impress the people who likes fighting, fighting shows or fighting games.
Yeah I added an edit after you quoted me. I think you mean to say that the percentage return on the extra $100,000 marketing is much smaller than the initial $100,000, not that the company "loses money." But I think it's just a language barrier and I'm pretty sure I get your meaning.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Can people stop calling others casuals, the only way you could use the word casual is for Mortal kombat "fans" who only scream for stupid guest characters on facebook and twitter, THOSE should be called casual fans, they don't care for the MK characters at all.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Yo did they spend all of february letting people record content for today? Like 10+ mk11 videos just dropped this morning

Raider

Noob
6 days before the release:

We only have one Kombat Pack character revealed. We don't have any info about other 5 characters and the rest of the Premium Edition content.

Pre-Order bonus character gameplay still not revealed. They will do that one day before the game release...

A lot of confusion and very little to no info about tournament variations, game modes, gear... etc.

No Switch/PC gameplay.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Up to this point it was fine but the Xbox live thing was really bad on MK part for not showing anything .

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Like, for real. I'm expecting a Shao Kahn breakdown from leakers rather than NRS themselves LMAO

The way they handled Shao Kahn and the Kombat Pack has been a disgrace.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
I think they should have sold better the modes other than story, especially the new krypt and be more clear upfront with the "kustom variations in ranked" stuff

SxS626

Noob
you know your marketing team is bad when the most hype generated in weeks is from game leaks. the last few kasts were lack luster, we still don't know much about the game as of right now, there are far too many questions that are just not getting answered, but the studio is still asking the customer for money without offering much insight on what's being purchased

it's been a messy roller coaster since reveal tbh.