What's new

Discussion What needs to be Changed to Make MKXL the Best it Can Be (Or As Fun As it Can Be).

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Overall, I think the additions that came with MKXL is one of the greatest overall improvements I have been able to experience out of almost any game I have tried. My favorite add-on was the netkode change from input-delay to rollback with the second being the change in the breaker system. In the past month and a half, I have had more fun in MKXL than I ever had playing in MKX. However, there are only a few more changes that I feel must be made before the game feels "Komplete" as a fighting game and below is the small list of them.

1. Block Breakers: Rather than taking 2 bars of meter from the player who broke and full stamina from both players, I feel that these breakers should take 1 bar of meter from the player who broke and 1 bar of stamina from both players. This way block breakers won't be exploited to completely prevent the other player from combo breaking if they are caught in a hit-confirm, due to only half of the stamina being lost.

2. Female/Giant Hurtboxes: The smaller and bigger hurtboxes of female(ish) and monstrous characters can cause a vast amount of Hitbox Inconsistency Issues, especially when the opponent is crouching or crouch blocking. This can give an unnecessary edge to characters with these type of hurtboxes, and can cause a vast amount of Match-up problems.

3. Corner Interactable Bugs: Some maps in MKXL have interactables that can actually Stop Certain Projectiles from Working. Some examples of this would be the interactables that are in the maps: Kuatan Jungle (left corner), Sky Temple (right corner) and Lin Kuei Temple (left corner).

4. X-Ray Brutalities: Landing an X-Ray is hard enough, but finishing someone with it? That's another level to me, and I wish every character got some sort of a reward for such a thing. I feel that every character should have a brutality if they finish their opponent with an X-Ray, in order to make the game feel more rewarding and fun to play.

I feel that if these few changes Listed Above were made it would fix a lot of issues, and help to ultimately balance the game, or just to make the game more fun play. Feel free to post your thoughts, or ideas even, on changes for MKXL before it should be "Komplete".

Also, here are some ideas of character specific changes I thought would make each character more fun to play as, some of which are ideas based off of what I've seen from other people in TYM come up with.

Edit: What I put below are just Ideas. They aren't necessarily what I think should definitely be in the game, but I did want to see what other people thought about these. Also excuse any typos I've had.

Kenshi
Able to cancel into special moves right after reflecting projectiles.

(Kenjutsu): Decreased recovery of DB1 by 1-2 frames. B2 Should crush low pokes just as much as Raiden's F4 does.

(Possessed): Able to use DB2 in the air.

Kung Jin
(Ancestral): For the love of god, please remove the timer of the DB1 Stun Arrow!!!! :(

Tanya
Make F3 Special Cancellable rather than a Knockdown. Charging it can still give a Launcher.

(Dragon Naginata): Allow Tanya to go into her Pogo stance by holding Up after Inputing BF2. The Overhead Special move on the Pogo should keep the opponent close to her so she can have a midscreen follow-up from one of her stance moves. I also would rather have ExBF2 leave the opponent standing if they were hit by it on the ground, rather than a knockdown.

(Pyromancer): The Shroud special move should be able to restand the opponent.;)

Sonya Blade
(Special Forces): Able to keep the drone parked even after using other Drone moves.

Bo Rai Chu
(Drunken Master): Increase the amount of time it takes Bo Rai Chu to vomit after he has taken a drink. Slightly reduce the startup time of Vomit Spray after lvl 3 Drunk.

Raiden
Able to use Air Normals after DB3 similar to Possessed's DB2.

(Master of Storms) able to stop ExDB1 anywhere on the screen similar to Thunder God and make the orbs hit mid if placed mid.

Takeda
(Lasher): Change the input of DF1 so that the inputs for F+D+1 won't auto-correct to DF1 :DOGE

Erron Black
(Gunslinger): Eliminate the small recovery window of DB1 so I can transition into the stance moves easier.

Ermac
B2 should hit TWICE similar to Gunslinger's DB1+2

(Spectral): Ability to block while in hover mode, however every blocked attack should cause him to fall a little to the ground until he falls to the ground.

Kung Lao
(Hat trick): Hat-a-Rang should launch the opponent higher and the gravity should not be affected by the opponents position when they got hit by the special move. Suspended hats should deal low DoT damage to the opponent while they are near the floating hat similar to Caltrops.

Liu Kang
(Dualist): The Healing move in light stace should absorb projectiles and recover health equal to the damage of the projectile.

Kitana
(Mournful): I just want some normal move Glaive animations for some of her move-strings like how most other characters with alternate weapons in one of their variations have.

Sub-Zero
(Unbreakable): Ability to cancel into special moves after Activing Ice Aura. Shattering the aura grants a Shatter Launcher similar to ice klone shatters in Grandmaster OR cause BF3 To Freeze the opponent if Ice Aura was active.

Johnny Cage
(Fisticuffs): Ability to cancel into special moves after BF1 (Fist Bump). While DD1 is active, Johnny recovers health equal to the chip damage he deals.

Cassie Cage
I don't know too much about this character sadly. Perhaps bring back the F34 Special Cancel; someone want to help me out here? :DOGE

Shinnok
(Necromancer): Add a new Variation specific Normal String called "Make Netherrealm Great Again" B2, 1, D2 which launches the opponent and uses his animations with his Skeleton Hands.

Jaqui Briggs
(High Tech): Can cancel Parried Projectiles into Special Moves. Reduce the recovery/active animation frames of Guantlet spark/ignite OR able to cancel into special moves after Guantlet spark/ignite.

Triborg
The character is still kind of new to me, so give me some ideas I guess? :DOGE

Last edited:

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
When you say "to make mkxl the best it can be" is that like a white knight shield you apply to hide the fact that you're basically saying "here's the balance changes that I want in this game."? Not meaning to be a dick, but it comes across as that.
Are you talking about the random character specific changes I placed under the spoiler tabs? I believe I posted the title to refer to the first 3 points I made.
Everything else afterwards is just to see what other people think. I don't think the character changes I listed HAVE to happen, but I thought they might make each character a bit more fun to play as. Perhaps I should just change the title?

Are you talking about the random character specific changes I placed under the spoiler tabs? I believe I posted the title to refer to the first 3 points I made.
Everything else afterwards is just to see what other people think. I don't think the character changes I listed HAVE to happen, but I thought they might make each character a bit more fun to play as. Perhaps I should just change the title?
lol dude you're good. people just skim a lot and misinterpret things sometimes. I'll comment a bit on what I think of your points
1. There's been a lot of talk about this already and the community seems pretty evenly split on it, so I guess this is preference
2. Agreed. Everyone dislikes inconsistencies but it seems like a thing where they would have to rework the engine to fix it as it's been an issue for the past 3 games
3. Havn't noticed this
4. why not

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
As far as some of these changes go, has anyone ever thought maybe, just maybe, NRS already experimented with them behind the scenes and it lead to severe consequences we don't know about?

I've said it before and I'll say it again; people underestimate how much XL itself changed the game.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
lol dude you're good. people just skim a lot and misinterpret things sometimes. I'll comment a bit on what I think of your points
1. There's been a lot of talk about this already and the community seems pretty evenly split on it, so I guess this is preference
2. Agreed. Everyone dislikes inconsistencies but it seems like a thing where they would have to rework the engine to fix it as it's been an issue for the past 3 games
3. Havn't noticed this
4. why not
I Have no idea what you're talking about
:DOGE

Seriously though I feel the inconsistencies are the worst, and the hurtbox issues affects almost every character in the game. I've experienced this across multiple characters and it really hurts, especially since I play most of the cast.

Last edited:
Man, I'm so sick of people crying about "hurtbox inconsistencies". The only reasonable complaints about hurtboxes are the situations where a move will either whiff or hit randomly in the exact same scenario. If a move consistently has the same effect on a target in a situation it's fine.

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah but you can knock him to the ground. It was just an idea that I wanted to see what it would look like in a real match, it doesn't mean that it should actually happen ;)
you definitely need to play a good spectral ermac.

By your logic i would like jc to have a teleport:DOGE

Poshib

The Artman
A big thing about MKXL (Really MKX in general) that bothers me is the lack of true block stuns. I think it would be better for the game if moves that are blocked keep the characters blocking until the block stun is over whether you're holding the block button or not like other 2D fighters. I think it would make defending and punishing correctly easier to do as well.

Rebourne07

The only Metallic player left
Bring Cyrax back, he was the most fun I've ever had in any fighting game ever. At least give him his net timer back so you don't have to be a freaking professional to land a bnb

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Make jin's ex arrow true mid,so they will not miss on crouch block.This will help ancestral too.