What's new

Question What makes MK9 stand out?

Why does it matter if it "looked clunky" if it didn't play clunky? And why even is "clunky" an inherently bad thing?
Because video games are supposed to be aesthetically pleasing to a certain degree, whether it be character models or movement. A lot of people don't play games because of how they look. I remember way back Rico Suave said he didn't play MK9 because he thought the game looked ugly.

But the first thing I notice when watching old MK9 matches is how hideous the dash canceling is. It looks like something the designers didnt intend for it to be used as heavily as it was.

REO

Undead
I mean you spent a whole year doing that to PL here during 2012 lol are we gonna pretend this isn't the dominant competitive mindset
You mean when Perfect Legend said I never did anything in MK9 but win backyard locals? And how winning majors like Devastation was a fluke because he was not there? Or how I was only good because I was using a hitbox and how hitboxes should be banned?

Yeah, he may have triggered me back then into saying things with his toxic attitude.

But at least I matured and I'm not one to water down or discredit anyone's accomplishments in 2016.

Maybe you should have a talk with your close friend about the same thing.

reo was arguably the best in mk9...a game that required footsies,execution(especially for kabal) and deep knowledge of your character...wound cowboy is just a mediocre player in mkx,just like he was in mk9...
reo was the best in mk9 and sonic fox is the best in mkx...

for anyone that places good in mkx,good job you guess better than others...but guessing is not footsies or execution...doing your 50/50 doesn't make you a better player...throwing out an armored safe or plus on block move,doesn't make you a better player...

in some years,and mark my words no1 will even remember any mkx match,but even after so many years i still remember(and i m sure i m not the only one) this matches:

the hype was real...
for me obviously mk9>>>>>mkx...

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
You mean when Perfect Legend said I never did anything in MK9 but win backyard locals? And how winning majors like Devastation was a fluke because he was not there? Or how I was only good because I was using a hitbox and how hitboxes should be banned?

Yeah, he may have triggered me back then into saying things with his toxic attitude.

But at least I matured and I'm not one to water down or discredit anyone's accomplishments in 2016.

Maybe you should have a talk with your close friend about the same thing.
Right, he did it too. And a lot of people would argue that it was the best time of the games life as far as having a competitive scene.

You saying it is funny considering your argument now, but back then I know I didn't care because I knew the answer would be answered at evo eventually. That's fine.

Unfortunately, that doesn't exist anymore because the idea has now been twisted that competitive talk is bad and everyone's top, when we all know that b very best, that's insanely disingenuous

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
reo was arguably the best in mk9...a game that required footsies,execution(especially for kabal) and deep knowledge of your character...wound cowboy is just a mediocre player in mkx,just like he was in mk9...

for anyone that places good in mkx,good job you guess better than others...but guessing is not footsies or execution...doing your 50/50 doesn't make you a better player...throwing out an armored safe or plus on block move,doesn't make you a better player...

in some years,and mark my words no1 will even remember any mkx match,but even after so many years i still remember(and i m sure i m not the only one) this matches:

the hype was real...
Two evo medals is mediocre? Lol

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion

the hype was real...
so despite the fact that this game has very consistent results, the players that place just guess better

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Kabal
Kenshi
Cyrax
Sonya
Kung Lao
Freddy
Smoke
Kitana
Skarlet
Johnny Cage
Shang Tsung

No doubt after 2013 this is 100% correct.

So many slept on Kitana and no one's mentioned her with her bullshit...

I'm getting salty just remembering her now.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
No doubt after 2013 this is 100% correct.

So many slept on Kitana and no one's mentioned her with her bullshit...

I'm getting salty just remembering her now.
The only ones not set in stone are Skarlet and Shang. Skarlet's stock dropped off a bit as time went on, and Shang has been considered very good for some time thanks to Wound and Detroit.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Totally forgot about smoke and kitana. Freddy and Tsung are debatable tho.
Freddy is generally considered middle of the top 10, and has been basically since he became legal for tournaments. Shang is a new one, but people have been looking at him in retrospect. He's pretty fucking stupid lol.

Two evo medals is mediocre? Lol
in mk9 he was the best,you are were just good...in mkx you are both good players,still mediocre compared to sonic fox...still he was the best,something you haven't achieved in any of those games...so please stop this stupid argument...you said u liked mk9 more than mkx,right?u played both,so tell me,and let the ballance aside,which game requires better fundamentals?in which game you have to work really hard to open up your opponent?in which game defence mattered a lot,and whiff punish was a really important aspect?which game had unique characters,with different roles(zoners,mid range,pressure based)?in which game,you had to work really hard in order to properly undestand your character?also,you want interactables to dictate the game?for example blood god can get out from a corner with an interactable way easier than from a corner without...in which game you gain more satisfaction for beating your opponent?you know what i mean,we both played both games...please answer sincerely and seriously...

in mk9 he was the best,you are were just good...in mkx you are both good players,still mediocre compared to sonic fox...still he was the best,something you haven't achieved in any of those games...so please stop this stupid argument...you said u liked mk9 more than mkx,right?u played both,so tell me,and let the ballance aside,which game requires better fundamentals?in which game you have to work really hard to open up your opponent?in which game defence mattered a lot,and whiff punish was a really important aspect?which game had unique characters,with different roles(zoners,mid range,pressure based)?in which game,you had to work really hard in order to properly undestand your character?also,you want interactables to dictate the game?for example blood god can get out from a corner with an interactable way easier than from a corner without...in which game you gain more satisfaction for beating your opponent?you know what i mean,we both played both games...please answer sincerely and seriously...
Street Fighter 5

:DOGE

Last edited: