What's new

What makes Kabal so good?

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Thanks for all of the replies. I had no idea Kabal had all of this. I was so upset with his dash cancel, that I ditched him (I mained him in Mk9) lol.

Mean Streak and Clean Cut both look like viable options. I guess it comes down to the matchup or what you favor more of, right?
If you liked mk9 you‘ll like mean streak, he feels similar to his mk9 version but more balanced. You still have the cancels, amazing air projectile and hard execution

OwtQue

PSN: iiPuREWreQMoDe
If you liked mk9 you‘ll like mean streak, he feels similar to his mk9 version but more balanced. You still have the cancels, amazing air projectile and hard execution
His air Projectile in mean Streak is a straight throw. The one in clean cut has downward angle. Do you think the one in clean cut is better? The horizontal throw seems ineffective closer up

E

Eldriken

His air Projectile in mean Streak is a straight throw. The one in clean cut has downward angle. Do you think the one in clean cut is better? The horizontal throw seems ineffective closer up
The aerial buzz saw in Mean Streak lets you get a combo from full screen a lot easier than Clean Cut. But you have to make a really good read or catch someone jumping. Being able to convert whether they're grounded or aerial is nice, but the overall utility of the Clean Cut version makes it the superior one for me.

I love Mean Streak. I really do. I just don't like giving up a possible wakeup or Breakaway because I did a NDC and I'm missing a defensive bar. I know it's my choice to do it, so it's just another layer of his game.

Did SF put him on top or why is everyone now going crazy for Kabal? Don't make me drop him ay.

I'd say he lacks a low starter. But the answer to this will be "but he does not need a low starter", still a weakness imo. And his highest dmg corner combo is tricky to unreliably hard to do, or i am just having a bad month. And his mix up is relatively easy to fuzzy and has low dmg.

E

Eldriken

Did SF put him on top or why is everyone now going crazy for Kabal? Don't make me drop him ay.

I'd say he lacks a low starter. But the answer to this will be "but he does not need a low starter", still a weakness imo. And his highest dmg corner combo is tricky to unreliably hard to do, or i am just having a bad month. And his mix up is relatively easy to fuzzy and has low dmg.
It's just like with Cassie right now. Their potential is being realized on a larger scale, so they're going to be generating a lot of buzz.

I don't think he needs a low starter at all. His ability to stagger and pressure more than makes up for it in my opinion. He'd probably be pretty busted if he had one.

I don't really go for anything tricky. A rather basic Kabal can easily get the job done. His optimals can be a bit of a nuisance because online and all that, so I feel keeping it moderately simple is preferable. That's just how I prefer to do it, anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if the main issue that the majority of people will end up having with Kabal is his b1. That button annoys a lot of people.

OwtQue

PSN: iiPuREWreQMoDe
The aerial buzz saw in Mean Streak lets you get a combo from full screen a lot easier than Clean Cut. But you have to make a really good read or catch someone jumping. Being able to convert whether they're grounded or aerial is nice, but the overall utility of the Clean Cut version makes it the superior one for me.

I love Mean Streak. I really do. I just don't like giving up a possible wakeup or Breakaway because I did a NDC and I'm missing a defensive bar. I know it's my choice to do it, so it's just another layer of his game.
This makes a lot of sense. I didn't even think about risking not having a breakaway or wakeup. It seems like you have to choose between more pressure or a safety option

NOS4A2

Noob
As a Kaballer myself, he is very strong for all of the reasons people have listed. However, fight a decent Jade as Kabal and you'll want to kyle your way through some drywall.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I've been learning him.

He is intriguing to me. He wasn't as "Easy win" as I thought he would be, but everytime I lose I definitely know it's because of decisions I made...not the character.

Like, He has good meaties, great damage, and excellent buttons. Nothing wrong with him at all.

E

Eldriken

As a Kaballer myself, he is very strong for all of the reasons people have listed. However, fight a decent Jade as Kabal and you'll want to kyle your way through some drywall.
I feel that both Jade and Cetrion are some rather difficult matchups for him. You definitely have to work your way in and can eat a lot of chip doing so.

However, I've been considering picking Mean Streak up again just to try and possibly deal with Cetrion. Unfortunately it wouldn't work as well versus Jade because of Glow.

E

Eldriken

His B1 15 Frame start-up
F4 9 Frame start-up mid

So people annoying about B1 but not F4. :)
It's because f4 doesn't have the range that b1 does. I'd say f4 is more applicable in the corner in most cases. It's definitely a great button, with that I agree. I'd just say it's less problematic than b1 due to b1 being effective at such a long range.

However, f4 does come into play a lot more when when you're in the range that you wanted to get into with b1. So, yeah. You're actually probably right now that I think about it. It probably will be on peoples' radar more soon.

E

Eldriken

Jade can only use her air Ex rang against kabal tho. If she uses her non ex rang or her low projectile from about midscreen on, She is getting spun.
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you punish her low projectile with his spin? Do you have enough time to jump over and punish with it?

E

Eldriken

i think he and baraka are perfectly balanced characters and don't need any NERF. There are 5 Mofos to be balanced first.
I agree for the most part. Only thing I'd say is tone down Baraka's damage juuuust a tad. Other than that, I'd say NRS should strive to make all characters balanced like this. They have their annoying shit, but it's nothing game breaking.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Forgive my ignorance, but how do you punish her low projectile with his spin? Do you have enough time to jump over and punish with it?
No ignorance at all, it was my fault for saying midscreen, the low projectile has to be quite a bit closer. Upon labbing this again, he doesn't get the spin off the regular rang either.

That's 100% my bad. I'll delete my post :)

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I agree with a lot of points made in the thread. The one thing I don't agree with is him being top 2-3. I'd say he's just outside of Top 5.

His safety after nearly everything is completely bonkers. Safest character in the game, bar none. I don't doubt his b1 getting nerfed. Not gonna lie. Having a decently fast mid with that kind of range and utility is wonderful (for us, not you =P).

Definitely agree with having a top 3 Fatal Blow. People simply stop pressing buttons when he's got his at the ready. It shouldn't be like this. This is one of the better ways to show that Fatal Blows are really dumb in their current form.

He's got four Krushing Blows that launch (universal d2, db4, bf1 and b12d2), a back throw Krushing Blow and one from f224. He can get almost 50% for a bar with his db4 Krushing Blow. Doesn't matter where you are on the screen.

Conveniently enough, his b12d2 starts with arguably his best button. What are the chances, yeah? I get to stagger you, mix you, pressure you and if you screw up once and I confirm into b12d2, you not only ate however much chip damage during that time, you're now eating 40%+ to boot.

His mix is great, sure. But the damage only really comes from b12 into whatever. If he does b1~bf2, you ate a flat 10% versus whatever combo he did. However, those 10% can and will add up. So I'm obviously not going to recommend stand blocking all the time.

If you guess right on b1~bf2, it's your turn and with a punish to go along with it for some potentially hefty damage. If you guess right on b12, he's -7, so take it from there.

I actually hate having to say "guess" when talking about my character. It isn't an element of NRS games that I've ever cared for.

His air projectile is pretty good. I'll give you guys that. I'll also give you the issues mentioned with his j2. It's MKX Kotal all over again. Or maybe even Ares from Injustice. I imagine it won't remain this way after the first balance patch.

All in all, he's got his dirt and safety, but he's still not top 2-3 to me. Maybe there will be a tier shift after the first balance patch and then maybe he'll be there then.
hopefully his b1 doesnt get nerfed, i use it for a lot of things due to its properties and if that changed i wouldnt be able to quite do what i do, Reo made some other suggestions instead of nerfing that, such as giving him some gaps and nerfing his J2, i'd take that over nerfing his b1.

his b1 being what it is is kinda one of the things that define the character, hit that and you really screw with him big time imo. really don't wanna hafta drop him but i will if they do that :/

E

Eldriken

hopefully his b1 doesnt get nerfed, i use it for a lot of things due to its properties and if that changed i wouldnt be able to quite do what i do, Reo made some other suggestions instead of nerfing that, such as giving him some gaps and nerfing his J2, i'd take that over nerfing his b1.

his b1 being what it is is kinda one of the things that define the character, hit that and you really screw with him big time imo. really don't wanna hafta drop him but i will if they do that :/
His j2 definitely needs a nerf.

E

Eldriken

can we stop this nerf talk for a character that has not won / placed high in any tournaments

pls
It's been how many months and how many tournaments? Barely anything. He's generating a lot of buzz lately and may have a bigger presence moving forward. There's still EVO.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
His j2 definitely needs a nerf.
yeah, maybe not make it useless or anything but probably reduce the hitbox a bit so he can't land it from so far out.

aside from that we also have to think, if you removed his low scoop or nomad cancel, his main way of opening people up is utilizing the range of his normals to catch people doing stuff, so pls do keep that in mind.

E

Eldriken

Because it‘s range is really short and has quite the recovery, it‘s how a 9 frame mid should be.
It's also minus on hit. lol Not that anyone should ever do just a raw f4, but dropped inputs happen. =P

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
He was designed to be a mid range character, this is like how jade was designed to be a zoner. They can't take All of his mid range weapons easily cos that means killing Kabal. NERF b1, NERF j2, NERF f224.. what is left? Pls do not try to kill that already balanced characters so hard.