What's new

What is Wrong With These People!? - The U.S. Politics Discussion Thread

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I wish shit was this easy even. 3/4 people acquiring their doctorates in the US are unemployed. I'm sitting on 6 years of schooling with 3 degrees (2 BAs and a MA) and the best I can manage is adjunct teaching work for slave wages.
I've heard this from so many people lately and this is largely why I don't even feel it's worth attempting to go back to school. If I can land a min wage or serving job now, then what's the point? It's just very...dismal. I'm sure you're in a position now where you have an astronomical amount of loans, which you have to pay off, of which you were under the initial impression that you'd land a well paying job.

Just from all of these instances I feel that if I even attempt to go down said road, and accumulate loans, then I'll wind up back at square one with a mountain of loans to pay off. And if I go back to school, it won't be something I'm genuinely interested in or have a passion for; it'll be something that I know will pay my bills. Nursing for instance.

Problem is, everyone else has caught onto this, as well. Eventually there's going to be a surplus of this as well, then they'll be in the same exact position.

It's just very bleak.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
You know Dan, you're right with polls...remember Bush/Gore, Gore won the "popular" vote by far, which ultimately meant nothing....

While not everyone is polled, that's a general national poll by a good source in gallop which is very accurate.

As for Bush, yes he spend billions but Obama is factually spending more then Bush did in trillions for this "healthcare plan" of his and other things....

Oh trust, me I'm being effected by what Obama is doing. Prior to his administration, I never had a problem finding work. Now he's in, I guess it's coincidence....yet I did nothing any different then when Bush was in office yet was more successful back then. Go figure.

Except it has nothing to do with religion. The only reason it has in the past was due to political systems with strong religious ties. Atheists get married for a reason too, and no political figures (to my knowledge) have objected to that.
I never said it has anything to do with religion, I said people use marriage as apart of their religious beliefs these days despite the religion in general. I never said marriage originated from religion however....

I'm really not sure where anyone got the idea that women use abortion as a way of birth control. Abortions are typically very stressful and traumatic for women who choose to have one, and no one could take the decision lightly. Sex education is what you should want if you don't want this country to have more unwanted pregnancies, you can't blame it on them being dumb. The statistics showing rises in teen pregnancies within schools teaching abstinence-only sex education confirms that pretty well. Also, I see more reason to outlaw slaughterhouses than to outlaw abortions, personally. It's sentient vs semi-sentient, the only advantage for the semi-sentient is that it's a human, but I don't let that get in the way of my judgment.
Because they do? Not all women, just some...if you read up on several stories concerning abortion(not to mention I know people, family and friends who wanted or got abortions as a tool of birth control) Of course it's stressful and traumatic, but you have to realize some women don't care and feel it would be more stressful to take care of a baby rather then getting an abortion...which inevitably gets rid of the baby. Unfortunately there will always be a rise in teen pregnancies, or it will always happen anyway. Hopefully it'll lower. Slaughterhouses? Really? So you want to outlaw our food warehourse over offering human life? Hmm I see...

I'd feel better about myself if my health deteriorated due to waiting times if it meant that those who couldn't afford healthcare were able to get it. There's no reason why I should be given preference just because I have been fortunate. Half this country's pharmaceutical companies and doctors are against universal healthcare because half this country's pharmaceutical companies and doctors are greedy (especially pharmaceuticals, the amount of money they rake in should throw up a shitload of red flags). Productivity does not increase with monetary incentives, so I'd rather have the doctors who are in it for the money gone. Oh, look at that, more job openings!
So, what's the difference exactly if you're offered "free healthcare" but DIE waiting as oppose to what we have now where you still have a choice and can get cheaper health insurance where you can still get care and not wait? Greedy? I don't see it as greed, I see it as profits....you think doctors, nurses, pharmaceutical companies want to work for "free or for pay cut"? Would you? Probably not...I can't blame them, while I do want medicine for cheaper prices, offering free healthcare is too much and I'm pretty sure most people can afford the cheapest prices. I as I've said earlier have no job, and I still applied for cheaper Health insurance and got it, do I pay? Yes, but a lot less....but do I have health care? Yes. Better then not having it.....people who don't have health care NOW, in this moment in time CHOOSE to not have it. My friend said the same thing, other day I was talking to him:

Me:so have you ever applied for medicaid, medicare, hip family health etc, those at all?

Him:no, never tried.

Me: Why not?

Him: Can't afford it

Me: Uh you don't pay for it, you apply for it and they tell you if you qualify or not depending on how much you make.

Him:Oh really?

Me: Yes, you should at least try to apply that's what I did.

Him: I don't know.

Me: That's your choice then, don't complain about no health insurance until you actually try first.

Another issue with "Free Health Insurance" is say it's passed, then people WILL get greedy since you said the medical companies get greedy for money? Well, so do normal people...if we give this for free, that for free guess what? We the people will want EVERYTHING for free and before you know it, it'll be wolfare times 100 and nobody will want to do anything for themselves and just mooch off the goverment...which I know would happen, the human race is known for that. Give them a lick, they'll take a bite...give them an inch, they'll take a foot..

Also, I must ask you. Since you said you don't mind "waiting months or however long" for health care, ok...what if you have a heart attack, and they tell you ok you have chest pains, you wait here or have to have a procedure done, but in a month's time you can die...then what? What good does your "I'd rather wait knowing I'm getting health care" theory does then when you're not around to wait? Even though you're technically not getting health care, you're getting jerked around....

My mistake, raise taxes and eliminate the (republican-supported) half of our tax dollars that is funneled into the military. We spend something like 10x the amount that the next furthest-down country spends on defense. The idea that the government should just support jobs is a terrible idea. If what people like Ron Paul want were to be put into action, a massive amount of this country's scientific research would end and schooling would become unaffordable for many people (just to give two examples). Taxing the rich more does next to nothing to the rich, it has no effect on their ability to hire employees, yet they get tons of pro-business support because they (falsely) claim it does so they can get more money. It reminds me of that South Park episode about illegal downloading (boo hoo! i can't afford my private island!).
So, now you want to cut off our funds to the military...yeah that's a bad idea. Without military funding, you have no protection, national security. Given THESE times, that's probably a stupid idea. Unless you'd want to get blown up on a plane one day by terror cells and don't care?

Were you alive during 9/11? Curious because I was, and happen to live in NYC. Military action to protect YOU and ME is necessary, especially in these times despite party affiliation or president in the white house. To cut off military funding is to invite death from our enemies, America isn't that stupid...some liberal agenda ideals however...

How is government creating jobs a bad idea? No it's not, instead of wasting trillions on a flawed healthcare plan which more then half the country is opposed to, spend it on new jobs. At least that's beneficial to everyone...and offers people a chance to make money themselves in their own pockets.

I'm not for Ron Paul, so no need to go on about him. He won't get in anyway, far too unpopular, doesn't have a big enough following and as far as I'm concerned too moderate for my taste. He's not a radical liberal, but he's far from conservative either...he's in the middle.

It's not just rich companies they want to tax, it's rich in general....rich people a lot of them work hard for their money or earned it via a talent of some kind. If the liberals had their way, or at least some. They'd tax the rich, and give to the poor while the middle class gets screwed as usual and that solves nothing.....

If the liberals feel bad for the poor, then they should dish out the money themselves directly instead of spending on it flawed ideas. Instead of taking from the wealthy and giving to the poor, because that solves everything...The rich get punished, but can still manage since they're rich, poor gets money and middle class the hard working class gets nothing.

Revolver, btw uh you do know during those times jobs weren't ALWAYS peachy right? Not to mention some of them had to deal with war backlashes, jobs, etc.

And even Bush(junior) while his second term was start of economy going downhill, even his approval rating for jobs overall was higher then Obama's...

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm going to stop replying to everything, because I've been involved with countless internet debates on these subjects and it usually ends up as a 50 page thread where no one changed their mind, so I'm just going to leave this here (I wasn't talking about removing all of military spending, just massive cuts to it. and yes, i live in NYC too)

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I read that 1/6 US households have someone who serves in the military or has a job that depends on them. Cutting the military ain't gonna help the economy I would think.

MKF30

These topics inevitably lead to back and forth debate with nothing coming from it other then pages of novels coming from both sides.

We all know the situation at hand, and what needs to be improved. We just have different "views" of what that is, that being said I'll agree to disagree with you and dan respectfully.

I do hope something changes in 2012, don't even care at this point so much about party. Extremes and radicals on every end are bad for this country.

But yeah I agree Lyuben ^, military is very important. Unfortunately, not everyone else in this country feels the same way or is as patriotic.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
It's because they're busy building super secret aircraft at Area 51 to combat the upcoming 2012 spacewar against the alien invaders and china.

edit: guys, our military spending has next to nothing to do with salaries. the vast majority of that is to fund ridiculous amounts of weapon building/testing. a single missile can cost more than the yearly salary of a member.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
It's because they're busy building super secret aircraft at Area 51 to combat the upcoming 2012 spacewar against the alien invaders and china.

edit: guys, our military spending has next to nothing to do with salaries. the vast majority of that is to fund ridiculous amounts of weapon building/testing.
You are somewhat right. The USA has 11 aircraft carriers. The rest of the world has 8 combined. Does the USA need that many? No. Does the USA need to pay maintenance on all those nukes? No. Those stealth submarines? Nah. It is fighting currently a war against mountain people and the odd group of rebels. Most of its spending goes to nation vs nation technology. The highest military spending in the world is not enough to stop a cheap roadside bomb and a suicide vest. They need to spend it on aid, diplomacy and stop they need to cutting the branches. And go for the root.

I am not saying to cut spending, I am just suggesting they prioritize.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Shut down the military? Wouldn't that actually worsen the economic situation? This shit's like the mob in a way, war is just business, no hard feelings. Aside from wall street and other obvious forms of income for the country, war and drugs are the single greatest factors that contribute to the economy like it or not. A lot of intellectuals way back in the 40's and 50's thought that the reason the USA got out of the Great Depression was WW2.

On the military spending thing. While that graph makes it seem nuts you need to keep some things in mind. For one, our economy is larger than most other nations as well. For another computers, the internet, a lot of medicine, space travel, I could go on, but that shit all came from military spending, all of it.

The fact is the military is able to funnel billions into research that nobody else will. It's often wasted, but on the other hand we get crap like the computer, built by the Navy in WW2, and the internet, built by DARPA (works for the military). Had it not been for pissing billions into research that at the time was considered a waste of cash and stupid at the time, we wouldn't have these forums, the network it's on, or the box you're typing on.

We also wouldn't have supersonic jets and a ton of other crap.

So sit down and think about that real hard before you jump on the "zomg military spending is bad spending" bandwagon.

I could also drag up that the military gave us nuclear power and is currently paving the way in green energy.

You may not like the amount being spent, but what private company is going to blow say 40 billion a year researching something that may or may not pan out? The answer is not a damn one.

It's always been the case that stuff which costed billions, the GPS in your phone and car! Was done by the military, and then it was priced down and trickled down into affordable consumer level goods.

If you cut that funding, you basically are saying "technology is fine where it is today let's stop" because that's what will happen... unless of course you can find another organization to pump that level of cash into that has no intention of ever making a profit... good luck!

Of course there is waste, but keep in mind it wasn't that long ago people were saying the military and DARPA were wasting money on that entire DARPANET thing which is worthless.... that was the internet. And before that people were pitching a fit about jet engines, before that nuclear technology. I think we all like these things. So while I'm all for cutting waste, the military has, too it's credit, cranked out a ton of useful stuff, and that's only because they can afford to say "eh it might work, might not, fuck it, fund it anyways".

REYTHEGREAT

bring back the troops who are currently over many countries, U.S needs to stop minding their business, stop getting involve in other countries mess, stop trying to police other countries and leave the middle east alone.. RON PAUL 2012. holla!

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
bring back the troops who are currently over many countries, U.S needs to stop minding their business, stop getting involve in other countries mess, stop trying to police other countries and leave the middle east alone.. RON PAUL 2012. holla!
I think this post exemplifies what these threads are like.

Some people give long detailed posts. Then someone just gives a slogan and its hunky dory.

Yeah no. Ron Paul is a crack pot and a crank. He's right on a few things, but for all the wrong reasons, but he's deadly wrong on several other things.

Let's start with the fact that Paul is an extremist libertarian crank who doesn't even measure up to what he preaches. That's why he's the John Birch Societies favorite politician. For some history, that's the same group that called President Ike a commie spy, promoted racism, and want's to take us back to a biblical constitutional version of the bible. They've also, and Paul has agreed with it, pushed that only "property owners" can vote and for poll tests. Aka the rich get to vote for themselves and that's that.

His stance against the fed is also moronic, leaving aside the "gold gold gold" issue (I'll deal with that in a moment) the attack on the federal bank boils down to "anybody should be able to print their own money and trade with it" guess what's wrong with this! For one, well there go taxes. And while libertarians tend group think into "taxes bad, freedom good" without taxes all the highways and roads would crumble, we'd pretty much be living in Mad Max, which I guess is cool if you-run-batter-town but for the rest of us that would suck. The other issue is WE TRIED THAT BEFORE, what happened? Well employers paid people in money that was only valid at the company store, you can see where this is going, and then sold employees goods at that store at several times the price. It was pretty much slavery.

Which is really what Paul and most libertarians want. Hence the "get government out of business", it's back to the days of 16 hour days, locked in the plant, slave wages, child labor. Don't believe it, Paul pushes for companies printing their own money, no regulations, no minimum wage, and not ban on child labor. But shit man RON PAUL 2012 LIBERTY TASTES AWESOME.

Next Ron Paul's civil liberties stance looks good, on paper and if you only read the articles where he's ranting about the war on drugs or the TSA, but look further and shit gets really, really, weird. Talks about banning abortion, talks about blacks as inferior and the civil rights act as a crime, talks about the right to profile people. It's standard libertarian crap. Hence why a lot of libertarians were in favor of and cheered on dictators such as Pinochet who slaughtered people, because hey low taxes and no regulations on business so plenty of cheap labor. And even some of the good stuff is a head scratcher. Take the TSA, he goes one further and says get rid of the FAA, cause less taxes! And hey those airplane pilots can fix that not crashing thing themselves and if planes from company xyz keep crashing into each other and killing people nobody will fly on them later so the market has fixed the problem.

Onto the gold thing. Not only is there not enough gold in the world to cover the amount of US money in circulation but Ron Paul invests in... GOLD! He's also heavily backed by those cranks that sell limited edition gold coins and bars and claim it only goes up in value. If you want to see how bullshit that is google up the great silver market crash and other such nonsense. Nothing only goes up, and gold is common and worthless. Like diamonds there is tons of it but a few people let it trickle into the market to keep prices high.... on idiots. Gold is in every electronic device you have and for manufacturing it's considered very good but largely worthless.

I could go on, but Ron Paul is a flat out crank who advocates a ton of very very dangerous shit. People just back him because LIBERTY, oh and he'll end the wars and let us all smoke pot and buy hookers.

MKF30

You know just my opinion here, but I think the U.S. at times needs to back off but at the same time, if not for US, Iraq wouldn't have been liberated and have a chance for something called "democracy" among other countries who factually needed our help when other countries simply turn away.

Now, am I saying the US tries to the rule the world? No. Does the U.S. try to help others sometimes perhaps too much? Maybe. That's my opinion on that. All I know is if not for the U.S.A. a lot of countries in the world would be up shit's creek if not worse now...

As for Ron Paul, I'm not worried..while I don't agree with everything he's for, I do think at this point nearly anyone would be better then Obama at this point. Paul does not have a big enough following to make a threat, notice the liberals are all attacking Bachmann now like they did Palin in 2008 because they're scared of her and know she's a vital threat to the precious agenda...

Me personally? I'd like if Rudy ran again :)

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
notice the liberals are all attacking Bachmann now like they did Palin in 2008
Jesus Christ, man. Do you even know who Michele Bachmann is? Maybe you've heard of her husband, Marcus Bachmann?

That's just what we need, more bible thumping clinically brain dead idiots running this country. Separation of church and state, fuckers! Shit, I bet Marcus can suck a golfball through a garden hose, listen to that voice. Sounds like Mr.Slave. "They need to be disciplined! Jesus Christ!" I mean, talk about being in the closet.

And Palin? Palin was a fucking retard and potentially very likely going to be in the position to become president, due to the fact that John McCain is a geriatric old fuck. The guy was 71! 71!

Fuck this, I'm going to Europe. Why we put our faith in these people is BEYOND me. No wonder this country is going to hell, and will continue to do so!

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Well, technically, as a percentage of GDP the USA spends a relatively normal/low amount. It just happens that the USA is extremely rich.

Bachmann is not being attacked by liberals as she's not a threat at all. There is no way she can win the general election. She's being torn to bits by establishment Republicans who actually want to win the general.

There are two Republicans who can win a general election. Romney and Huntsman, Huntsman won't get the nod and is ramping up for 2016, so Romeny it is.

Of course, the radical base doesn't want them. Bachmann would get Mondale'd which is why her own party is turning on her as fast as they can.

MKF30

@digi, yes Bachmann is a threat otherwise the liberals would not be concerned....at least right now, she's one of the bigger names from the Republican party.

That's not to say I'm for her in particular or that she'll win the R party to rep them, but I can tell when the libs feel threatened. It's really not that difficult. Notice you don't see them attacking Ron Paul because he's a non-factor yet so many people here mentioned him. And Romney, while I like him lost a few times already I don't see him doing that much. Chuck Norris needs to run as he's a big Romney supporter(but probably won't) or Rudy(but with a solid running campaign) Rudy I lived in NYC and am speaking from past experience, did a GREAT job as Mayor for arguably the toughest city in the nation, especially during 9/11.

Jesus Christ, man. Do you even know who Michele Bachmann is? Maybe you've heard of her husband, Marcus Bachmann?

That's just what we need, more bible thumping clinically brain dead idiots running this country. Separation of church and state, fuckers! Shit, I bet Marcus can suck a golfball through a garden hose, listen to that voice. Sounds like Mr.Slave. "They need to be disciplined! Jesus Christ!" I mean, talk about being in the closet.

And Palin? Palin was a fucking retard and potentially very likely going to be in the position to become president, due to the fact that John McCain is a geriatric old fuck. The guy was 71! 71!

Fuck this, I'm going to Europe. Why we put our faith in these people is BEYOND me. No wonder this country is going to hell, and will continue to do so!

I'm not saying Palin was the best choice, but in terms of experience she actually had a better resume in Alaska then Obama did in Chicago...not to sound racist or anything but I'm pretty sure he was voted in due to color having a big influence. Much like a lot of people for Palin wanted her due to her being a powerful woman etc...same with Hillary(while a good portion of her popularity were from B. Clinton fans)

Just saying, often people are for someone for all the wrong reasons as oppose to what they stand for...

Example, how retarded so many Obama supporters are who voted for him....:

I know who Bachmann is, while I don't think she's the absolute best choice....I do think she'd do better then Obama at this point. I mean, come on. I want separation of church and state so I can do without the religious speeches, but as far as other topics are concerned.

McCain I used to like more and will always respect him for being an ex-vet of this country, however he's too moderate for my taste and pretty much took it like a bottom to Obama, while Palin was far more badass in their race in 08.....when the running mate(especially a female one) stands up to you more then the actual candidate, it makes you look weak.

Liberals aren't scared of Bachmann as the Republican nominee, she'd get CRUSHED. Anybody that isn't to the extreme right or a religious whack job will not vote for her. She's scary in the sense that any crazy person with a god complex is scary, but she's ultimately harmless since there is no way she'd get elected. Same thing happened with Palin, once she started talking she turned out to be a nutcase and actually drove women away. To compare either of those lunatics to Hillary is nuts. And there are far stronger, non crazy, conservative females that they could put forward.

I like Rudy as well, but he's not far right enough and he's not religious enough for the Republican base. While he could win a general, he can't win the nomination.

Either way, the debate is tonight and I'm looking forward to hearing what Huntsman and Johnson have to say. Those are the two I like of the group, the rest, other than Romney, are all nut jobs. Cain could be good, and I don't know why he doesn't bring his military service or the fact that he ran Coca-Cola and several other companies, but oh well.

MKF30

The liberals may not be "scared" but they're definitely concerned...other day I turned on both MSN and Fox, just for curiousity both channels while both are biased in opposite directions had several liberals ripping her, much like we saw with Palin stuff. Now, if it's for political reasons and political shots, fine. But if they go with the "Palin had a kid who has a kid, Palin's grandkid is retarded" the personal pot shots that are completely irrelevant with Bachmann like say "her religious beliefs" that has no bearing on why she'd be good or bad...so I take it with a grain of salt.

I don't know about "crushed" she may lose but crushed seems a bit much. Especially when she's in the public eye as much as any other republican right now. But maybe you're right, who knows...all I know is everytime I read updates, she's in the spotlight with the other republicans(at least for now)

I see your point on the extremes in general from the R party, But then again, one can say the same thing about left wing nut jobs or radicals not voting in Obama again with the job he's doing right now. Some believe he's arguably the most radical liberal ever voted in with his policies. There needs to be someone with better ideas, judgement etc despite party yet NOT radical on either side. I'm not saying the next guy or woman should be extreme right, but extreme left is just as bad so I'd prefer someone with better, more logical policies.

I don't think Palin is perfect but she's not as "crazy" as some make her out to be, her book sold far better then any liberal book has the past few years and she had a fanbase due to her gender of strong women, much like Obama had with minorities. I'm not saying because her book sold well she'd have been good. Just saying, it gives insight on her history. The mainstream media will rip ANYONE opposed to or a threat to Obama I've found. One reason why I don't listen to the media, prefer to do my own research.

Rudy is pretty conservative, the problem lies with some other things with some of his religious views on certain things I know he's for abortion and same sex marriage, but that to me is trivial(especially at this point) if he can create jobs, improve the economy etc then I'd be fine with him. Experience sure as hell ain't one of them though lol.

You sound like you're into politics a lot, are you like an independent or something?

aj1701

Noob
What I'd really like is just for government to do that limited things it was created to do; build roads, keep a fair court system running, and provide for the common defense (by having a small defensive army not a standing one). Also regulate corporations; limited liability = no "rights" only privledges. But beyond that, leave everyone the hell alone.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. "

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

There's too much to say about him, your going to have to do a little research of your own to really understand what Ron Paul stands for and how important it is to vote for him. What I can tell you and be brief about it, is what he believes in.

1. Personal Liberties( that are slowly being striped away with numerous bills that are passed or trying to pass like the Patriot Act, NDAA, SOPA, PIPA ext..)

2. A honest and sound currency= ending the fed which means no more federal income tax and rising prices. Basically your dollar will have more purchasing power. Believe it or not, you'll be able to buy a gallon of gas for a quarter or less like back in the 80's.

3.The well being of the people(YES YOU) and not Corporate America or special interest groups.

4.A peaceful foreign policy= less wars or none at all and less hate for the U.S world wide.

5. He's a man of principle ,who they say is incorruptible and stood by what he says for over 30 years now. NO FLIP FLOPPING from him.

There's a reason why he's been ignored for so long. He goes against the establishment who is robbing Americans blind of there liberties and freedoms.

Watch this video form 1988 when he was running for president.