What's new

What is it that makes Sonicfox so good??

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
You know that little feeling you get when it just feels like your opponent is about to do anything at all? Hes very good at capitalizing on it. His mind games are off the charts.

He tends to play characters where you can sort of lock the opponent into a sequence of some kind. Like Erron Black with the Amp Slide situation, Jacqui's cancels and plus frames, etc. Its a playstyle that suits him well. That's probably why he gravitated towards FANG in SFV when he was playing competitively and then Ibuki

He is young, talented, have time to spend in the game and he is commited to it. He likes it.
When talent meets effort, dude....just respect the guy...he is gonna be unbeatable.

And I really think that talent in this case ia related to IQ. See patterns and react quickly to new scenarios....this is high IQ.

He should do a test and tell us his IQ.

Wigy

There it is...
Insane reactions and he just makes great reads and has the confidence to just go with it.

He'll use a riskier option to counter something if it's the best thing for the situation.

Eg he used coin toss to antiair at a range no erron black would use them.

I also think playing fighting games a lot from a young age may factor into it.

I think this is actually a pretty interesting question that I've thought about a little bit, especially considering this community has seen him evolve throughout the years if you've been watching him since MK9. Back then I think his defining characteristic was that sense of fearlessness bordering on recklessness. As Mileena he was never scared to U4 four times in a row. Or he would get a teleport blocked and immediately teleport again. But since MK9 he's really transcended and grown out of that and we finally got to see him dunk on the rest of the FGC last year with DBFZ. I think it was during Injustice 1 (maybe EVO 2014?) when someone asked Pig what made him so hard to play against and Pig said something along the lines of "He just plays so perfectly" and to be honest I think this is literally the answer, but we can break it down further.

He still plays with that fearlessness in the sense that he is always able to enforce his offense on you but, more importantly, he somehow always just knows what you're gonna do at all times and will counter it. Sajam talks about Sonic in this DBFZ match analysis video but the lines that stood out to me the most were "The thing about Sonic Fox is that he is so good in the scramble" and "SonicFox is a beast at stealing your turns or maximizing his turns." Being the king of the scramble and always winning RPS situations epitomizes his greatest skill if you think about it. How do you win a scramble? You either have fast reactions (of course he has these too) or know what your opponent is doing. How do you win at RPS? You know what your opponent is doing. Just watch this clip where he wins three scrambles in a row. The more I watch this the more I realize the dude is just a freak.

Not to mention the fact that he studies hard for any game he is taking seriously. And I didn't even cover his ability to process information or see how a game should be played (why I think he's always the best player at the beginning of a game's life) but this is getting long. Hope this helped.

TL;DR Hard to lose when you know exactly what your opponent will do

M2Dave

Zoning Master
With no shade meant, I still think he’s got some sort of savant-esque type of situation going on to some ever so slight degree.
I agree.

We may see players with better footsies (i.e., Semiij). We may see players with better zoning (i.e., Tweedy). We may even see players who are better at the vortex sometimes (i.e., Dragon, Rewind, etc.)

But no player in the world is as good as Sonic Fox is as far as learning new things is concerned. You can make the case that Sonic Fox learns new games and characters at a faster rate than even Daigo, Justin Wong, and Tokido did in their prime. In this respect, Sonic Fox is very likely the best player who has ever lived.

Last edited:

gam224

The world's least hype player
He is young, talented, have time to spend in the game and he is commited to it. He likes it.
When talent meets effort, dude....just respect the guy...he is gonna be unbeatable.

And I really think that talent in this case ia related to IQ. See patterns and react quickly to new scenarios....this is high IQ.

He should do a test and tell us his IQ.
A raw IQ test wouldn’t tell us much. It’s too broad a test and certain things that it tests for are not relevant to playing well ( verbal ability for example). It would only really be interesting to see how he scored on the math and pattern finding parts of the test.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
What exactly is it that, in your opinion, separates sonicfox from the rest?
I personally think practice is what separates the top players from the rest. His reaction is very strong and he adapts on the fly very fast making it hard for opponents to make those reads.
I think he trains himself in reaction timing and labs matchups more than his opponents. If you notice he can react to subs overhead while most other top players can't. He also converts off tight links like D1 anti airs into optimal damage and utilizing Flawless Block Punishers. I think this is achievable through practice making your reaction from 22f to 18f and also allowing him to convert off things most players don't. I've also noticed he works his players to the corner eliminating most of thier options and his ever changing pressure.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I agree.

We may see players with better footsies (i.e., Semiij). We may see players with better zoning (i.e., Tweedy). We may even see players who are better at the vortex sometimes (i.e., Dragon, Rewind, etc.)

But no player in the world is as good as Sonic Fox is as far as learning new things is concerned. You can make the case that Sonic Fox learns new games and characters at a faster rate than even Daigo, Justin Wong, and Tokido did in their prime. In this respect, Sonic Fox is very likely the best player who ever lived.
I personally think it's reaction and adaptability learned through tedious practice. He definitely reacts faster than me and changes gears very quick. It's hard to make educated reads on him since he is constantly changing and pulling new stuff out. If course certain things help like matchup knowledge, knowing what gap is there and where to or how to punish certain hard to deal with moves. But I honestly believe he has faster reactions than the others and maybe it's a secret technique in the lab or maybe similar to others but he grinds it harder than others but his speed shows.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I think he is just operating on another level mentally. When I look at him when he isn't playing, his mannerisms make me think something is off, but I don't mean that in a bad way. I really don't know how to explain it lol

He is a master, one of the best fighting game players of all time so between his hard work, dedication, and the way he figures things out and reads his opponents so well just makes him great.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
There's one thing I've noticed that makes SonicFox beatable. Or his greatest weakness.

SonicFox can not control the pace of a fight or keep the momentum in check (to his favor)

NinjaKiller, Tweedy, GGADizzy, and a few more players I can name drop... Have always had the momentum and pace in their favor when up against SonicFox.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
There's one thing I've noticed that makes SonicFox beatable. Or his greatest weakness.

SonicFox can not control the pace of a fight or keep the momentum in check (to his favor)

NinjaKiller, Tweedy, GGADizzy, and a few more players I can name drop... Have always had the momentum and pace in their favor when up against SonicFox.

TekkenMaster was also another player who had the momentum and pace up against SonicFox but when SF took it right back in the final rounds.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
It’s cause he’s gay and republicans hate him.
Jk
He grinds, he’s smart, and plays like a real scum bag

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I want to say watching Sajam breakdown sonic gameplay is pretty nuts. typically if sonic is put into an unfavorable situation ONCE he will immediately try a counter the next time he sees it. It's consistent as hell, and then once he conditions how he will punish that situation hel switch it up and capitalize if you get baited.