What's new

What, if anything, is Mortal Kombat 11 Missing?

Player expression, as in unique ways to play characters. Also, Non-rushdown chars that can compete.
Variety in general feels weaker.

MK X and 9 both had some pretty extreme ways you could play a character with a whole bunch of playstyles. Things weren't perfect but you had traps/zoners/pressure/etc in addition to the rampant rushdown, and even those felt more unique.

While i like the focus on footsies and what not with MK11, I feel that almost every interesting move or option wound up sitting on the sidelines (shang's fire tornado/sub's ice clone come to mind). It has a bad habit of making matches feel super similar.

Variety in general feels weaker.

MK X and 9 both had some pretty extreme ways you could play a character with a whole bunch of playstyles. Things weren't perfect but you had traps/zoners/pressure/etc in addition to the rampant rushdown, and even those felt more unique.

While i like the focus on footsies and what not with MK11, I feel that almost every interesting move or option wound up sitting on the sidelines (shang's fire tornado/sub's ice clone come to mind). It has a bad habit of making matches feel super similar.
Krushing Blows and Fatal blows also contribute to matches feeling similar. People doing certain moves or certain KBS, doing the same combo in hopes of getting a kb, maybe playing footsies a certain way only to get that kb. Then when someone is low on health the game just gets super defensive. Makes matches feel super repetitive, especially considering the lack of combo options this time around as well

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Combos. So many bnbs are just string into special. Few of the combos are actually fun to do, and most of the ones that are are locked behind customs. And the most hilarious part is, when you get off the real juicy combo launchers (Krushing Blows) your opponent breaks away and you lose that KB for the rest of the match. I miss shit like Cyber Sub's divekick wiffs, Reptile's slowmo, even Sub-Zero's clone shenanigans

We're a long way away from this

Breaks my heart to see Liu's combos in this game.

Combos. So many bnbs are just string into special. Few of the combos are actually fun to do, and most of the ones that are are locked behind customs. And the most hilarious part is, when you get off the real juicy combo launchers (Krushing Blows) your opponent breaks away and you lose that KB for the rest of the match. I miss shit like Cyber Sub's divekick wiffs, Reptile's slowmo, even Sub-Zero's clone shenanigans

You know what else I miss? Deep voiced Revenant Liu Kang. I remember trying to unlock his revenant skin in X just because of how awesome it sounded. What ever happened to that? Now his Revenant skin voice is the high pitched one and it sounds weird

Rain
Smoke
Reptile
Ermac
Cyrax
Sektor
Kenshi

Sonya / Cassie / Jacqui are basically all the same rush down female character; not sure why we needed all three as opposed to any of the unique characters listed above

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Enenra
Pushback on all safe normals, vacuum on unsafe moves
A good community to support it and actually learn the game

xKMMx

Banned
Flashy combos and a mortal kombat vibe. Of MK9, MKX, and this game, the mortal kombat vibe feels so lost here.
I couldn't agree more. This game has like no grit or darkness like it should. Even the music is highly lacking. I love the look of it graphics wise but it just looks like IJ with MK characters. Jade is supposed to be a ninja but she looks like a Superhero, Geras looks like a comic book villain and then you have Cetrion who looks marginally out of place.
The game does lack atmosphere.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Jade is supposed to be a ninja but she looks like a Superhero, Geras looks like a comic book villain and then you have Cetrion who looks marginally out of place.
The game does lack atmosphere.
I kinda disagree on Jade. Everybody being a "Ninja" or generic princess with no personality, just a carbon copy with a different color mask/ourfit is super passe/90s.

I like that characters are actually designed with their own style now, and I think Jade looks particularly awesome in this game.

For me I would say that the only thing that MK11 is missing is actually more online modes I feel like we’ve been given the same thing over and over for online play you feel?
I hate the new button inputs, like dialing 3 buttons for 5-6 strikes. Feels like a mobile game....also having to do up/down+kick/punch during combos like Sonya, Shang Tsung j cage etc. It’s like they are trying to be different for the sake of it. As another said it feels like we are playing underwater with input delay and missed inputs.

One thing they are not missing and did deliberately was give Johnny cages kbs to others like jade and cassie because they are girls and have j cage the camera instead of Cassie.they took away raidens jibberish electric fly, his electrocution move, Shang Tsung can’t turn into anyone like mk2.

Pretty much the game is half baked with certain characters being able to zone and rush down and negate neutral while others suffer.

xKMMx

Banned
I kinda disagree on Jade. Everybody being a "Ninja" or generic princess with no personality, just a carbon copy with a different color mask/ourfit is super passe/90s.

I like that characters are actually designed with their own style now, and I think Jade looks particularly awesome in this game.
Yea to each his own I guess. I don't mind that the girsl all have their own designs now at all. I actually like the fact they don't all look like strippers again like MK9.
I just don't like Jade's design. She just looks like a Marvel character to me.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”

...and no I don’t think the “Easter egg” on the tourney stage only “counts”....

Edit and runner ups:
Fighter combat “gibberish”....which has been a stable of the series since games inception...

Feels weird without call backs to some of those things...

Last edited:

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Klassic Gear - Where is Subs shredder helmet? Johnnys Lion door knocker belt buckle from DA? Jax DA arms? For fuck sake stop trying to forget the 3D games happened. Some of the fan base loved them, and some nice throwbacks would be really appreciated. This leads into my second point.

3D era characters - I’m of the opinion that the Kombat Pack should only be MK characters, but that’s not happening for KP1 or for KP2. But honestly, they have so many interesting 3D characters they could redesign and bring back. Hell, I wouldn’t even mind no new characters for MK12 when it happens and the only ‘new’ characters are 3D era ones. Those characters have never been in a 2D MK game, they’d play vastly different and would no doubt get a visual redesign. They’d almost be brand new characters in everything but name and some aspects of their appearance. A lot of the new fan base probably didn’t touch the 3D games either, so they’d be new to them. Hotaru, Havik, Kai, Li Mei, even characters like Mavado. I trust current NRS to do spectacular redesigns of characters who were even a bit lacklustre.

Stages - Fuck me. They have the pit I and II essentially modelled out, give them a bit of a touch up (as objects will be seen closer up in an actual stage) and sort out some of the logistics and you have two klassic stages right there. As well as this, you can literally see that the Dead Pool was redesigned in the fucking story mode. The only stage that was fully redesigned during the Raiden vs Liu Kang fight vision (the Warrior Shrine looked different but was the Krypt version in daytime). In fact, they could add the Warrior Shrine too with some slight touch up. Every major fighting game franchise adds stages as DLC whether paid or not - why do NRS insist on not doing them?

I’m not super into the competitive scene, barely dipped my toes in it. So my changes would be more content wise and for the typical player.

More/better combos, depth, customs, and if they wanna go that route, a game that actually doesn't go against their promise of footsies and neutral, which I don't really care about

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest

You mean you don't enjoy a short string into double amplified bicycle kicks OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER?

But seriously, I couldn't agree more. The incredibly limited combo routes in this game have killed my desire to even boot the game up.

DeftMonk

Noob
i still don´t get the point of stance-switch, except tricking ur opponent.

stances should influence frame, reach or dmg for string starters or other basic moves as well.

also there should be some sort of interaction while fighting some1 in the opposite stance.
Fuck that shit. Abandon that dumb ass button and replace it with something fun and useful.

xKMMx

Banned
I think after the current story and non cannon tower endings it’s pretty obvious drunk monkeys could do a better job at this point
Yea I was unimpressed with the time travel timeline. It was a pretty lazy way too bring old characters back in my opinion. But I don't know if I personally would have had any better way to do It. I'm of the opinion its time to get rid of at least a couple of the original 7. I wouldn't give two shits if LK, JC, Raiden, Scorp or Subzero were ever in another Mk game.

Last edited: