What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I think for me and many others is the fun factor for how long we waited - two beta tests, and the massive grind to get an ugly palette swap. Okay...a lot of this season's look cool. But those ugly orange ones....man. Personal preference but orange is such an unflattering color to wear unless it's like safety vest construction workers wear or people that get our carts at walmart/grocery stores.

trufenix

bye felicia
You can't really hold mk1 to the standards of the series, because it's not a sequel. It's not the game boon and co designed to be an MK.

It's some other half cooked fighting game idea, probably injustice 3 or masters of the universe, that WB forced them to turn into an mk Themed money machine in record time.

This is tragically the best NRS could do shackled to a train that was always going to wreck, and they are clearly still WAY behind.

It's just like Gotham Knights.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
You can't really hold mk1 to the standards of the series, because it's not a sequel. It's not the game boon and co designed to be an MK.

It's some other half cooked fighting game idea, probably injustice 3 or masters of the universe, that WB forced them to turn into an mk Themed money machine in record time.

This is tragically the best NRS could do shackled to a train that was always going to wreck, and they are clearly still WAY behind.

Probably just another casualty of the disaster that is Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

Art Lean

Noob

Not disputing it, just curious, how do you know that?

Shania Twain

Not disputing it, just curious, how do you know that?
There were many articles in early 2021 that the next game was rumored to be a Marvel game or something different and we were allegedly getting one last expansion to mk11 then too to hold us over. I believe later Spring of that year they confirmed "no new support for MK11". To be fair I think the Marvel styled game it would have easily been able to realter the graphics to DC characters. I think for a hot minute maybe there was a He-man rumor game. I am not sure He-Man is resonating much with a younger audience.

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
Love the game but the monetization is getting ridiculous, and it’s grindier than ever often with stingy rewards. Why are we getting common skins in the higher levels of character mastery? On that note, why is the most efficient method of “mastery” just pumping points into Attack and spamming uppercuts?

Invasions could still be really good with better rewards and a revamped progression and locations that didn’t just fee like window dressing. Boon has to be aware of the criticisms so far. I think the problem was a mostly Zaslov intent on ruining everything he touches. Sadly this course won’t likely change unless WB shareholders feel the sting too.

I mean, here's Hourglass using 3-4 different strings/openers in about 20 seconds worth of game time.
I've finished the first round of the tournament, and I've watched Hourglasses' set against Tweedy. There was a single 2,1, a single F3,4, roughly a half-dozen F1,4,4, and a billion 1,2's.

I'm not at the grand finals that you linked to just yet, but so far, things are going as I said with Mileena and strings as kombo starters. I'll see how semi finals and grand finals go when I get there.

Shania Twain

I've noticed some peeps who play who are aware people are on the massive dislike who play pro cuz if things don't get fixed fast they will bounce. It's almost crazy how people on youtube are constantly exposing exploits, how they got the game free. Even pros that I may have said and I wasn't going to watch or youtubers are on the bandwagon. I mean, this is a massive time sink with little rewards. and regarding my ugly orange re-skin comment. @zerosebaz Not my proudest outfits lol

I've finished the first round of the tournament, and I've watched Hourglasses' set against Tweedy. There was a single 2,1, a single F3,4, roughly a half-dozen F1,4,4, and a billion 1,2's.

I'm not at the grand finals that you linked to just yet, but so far, things are going as I said with Mileena and strings as kombo starters. I'll see how semi finals and grand finals go when I get there.
Finished watching the tournament. Against Grrr there were a few more 2,1's, the odd F2,4, and F1,4,4, and a lot of 1,2's. Against Dragon, the second Round of the first Match was exclusively 1,2. The rest of the Set so a few F2,4's and 2,1's, a respectable use of F1,4,4, and a trillion 1,2's.

Overall, this tournament supports what I'm critiquing/feeling.

NRS is the Activision of fighting games. MK1 is lacking QoL, balance and content. Not to mention the switch version.. Maybe it’s time for some fresh air in NRS..
Honestly, most AAA games today launch with a glaring host of issues, regardless of the developer/publisher. The exception seems to be Sony's first party titles, which are highly polished. It's not just a NetherRealm Studios/WB Games thing.

Having said that, that doesn't make it right either.

The Switch port of the game though has been improved a lot, though it still has issues. Considering the hardware, it's actually amazing that it runs as it does.

Finished watching the tournament. Against Grrr there were a few more 2,1's, the odd F2,4, and F1,4,4, and a lot of 1,2's. Against Dragon, the second Round of the first Match was exclusively 1,2. The rest of the Set so a few F2,4's and 2,1's, a respectable use of F1,4,4, and a trillion 1,2's.

Overall, this tournament supports what I'm critiquing/feeling.
dude,it totally doesnt support it,your original statment was a clear cut and definitive mileena doesnt have any starters other then 1,2.

and you were completly wrong,she can literally cancle and start from all of here strings.

And as for certain strings being used more often,wether as starters or in general is pretty much every fighting game ever made,and the mileena ganeplay you can see from tournaments or online is not just pressing 12 over and over and it being her only starter,so yeah i dont see how you can even think that but if you do,well,more power to you.

Shania Twain

The fact that I bought the premium edition AND the Kollectors edition, and I'm still going to have to shell out money for the Sub Zero announcer is hilarious
The crazy part is no one but yourself can hear the announcer unless you are streaming etc. This is sorta why in MK11 the different announcers were given in the solo stuff or the Kronoka one which I think had to be linked to the WB account. The Raiden one I think they gave away free cuz they thought "no one is ever going to use this".

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
There were many articles in early 2021 that the next game was rumored to be a Marvel game or something different and we were allegedly getting one last expansion to mk11 then too to hold us over. I believe later Spring of that year they confirmed "no new support for MK11". To be fair I think the Marvel styled game it would have easily been able to realter the graphics to DC characters..
When it came to NRS making a Marvel game I don't think that was ever really in development. I still think that whole thing came from an interview that Boon did where he said he spoke to Marvel & that he wanted to do a Marvel vs DC game. The probability of that actually happening is slim to none unless WB & Disney come to an agreement. DC & Marvel crossovers have happened but the last one was 20 years ago.

Even if Boon wanted to a Marvel game he still couldn't do it as TT Games (Lego series) who have made several Disney games in the past while being owned by WB but they're not allowed to make games using Disney IPs anymore, only WB IPs. I assume it's because WB has $50b of debt, using WB IPs or independant IPs (like Homelander [Dynamite] & Omni-Man [Image]) & Mortal Kombat 11 making over $500m in pure profit.

Last edited:

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
It's kind of crazy that this game has only been out 10 weeks. I was on vacation for 3 of those 10, giving me 7 weeks of gameplay. Should feel fresh af, and I should wake up in the morning with a desire to play. It's just not there. Maybe these cats like Brady are right about Lao and et al. being a cancer?

Fighters are very community driven. The current community is as milquetoast as it comes. Need some beefs and shit talk to bring the hype. Nah it's just the same ole hug fest TYM grindr lovin.

NRS fugged up with the QOL. Perhaps with a valid single player, skins that didn't include man buns and mosquito bitten chests, leaderboards that weren't constant KL bs, and more Kameos than 2, the game would hold my attention. At this point why bother?

I say this as someone who enjoys this game more than 90 percent of this forum.

dude,it totally doesnt support it,your original statment was a clear cut and definitive mileena doesnt have any starters other then 1,2.
No, this is what I said:

As I mentioned in another thread, the characters I play have basically 1 or 2 good starting strings, and that's it. I'm still generally doing the same general kombo over and over and over. It has a very been-there-done-that feel.
Limited starters
Not only am I doing the same kombo over and over, but now I'm also always using 1, maybe 2 starters only.
Sure, but again, look at Mileena. It's 1,2. That's pretty much it. Her jab.
I never said her only starter is 1,2, I said she has limited good starters with 1,2 being by far her best. You can cancel/start off a lot of strings, but that doesn't mean they're good strings. I also said the viable starters in this game is lesser compared to Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.

And as for certain strings being used more often,wether as starters or in general is pretty much every fighting game ever made,
And yet in Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate, you had:

• B1,1
  • F2
  • F4,3
the mileena ganeplay you can see from tournaments or online is not just pressing 12 over and over and it being her only starter,
And yet watching last week's Kolloseum, Hourglass showed us lots of 1,2 with some F1,4,4 and the occasional 2,1 as kombo starters. The amount of 1,2's used vastly outweighed any of her other strings as starters.

Shania Twain

When it came to NRS making a Marvel game I don't think that was ever really in development. I still think that whole thing came from an interview that Boon did where he said he spoke to Marvel & that he wanted to do a Marvel vs DC game. The probability of that actually happening is slim to none unless WB & Disney come to an agreement. DC & Marvel crossovers have happened but the last one was 20 years ago.

Even if Boon wanted to a Marvel game he still couldn't do it as TT Games (Lego series) who have made several Disney games in the past while being owned by WB but they're not allowed to make games using Disney IPs anymore, only WB IPs. I assume it's because WB has $50b of debt, using WB IPs or independant IPs (like Homelander [Dynamite] & Omni-Man [Image]) & Mortal Kombat 11 making over $500m in pure profit.
Actually, the devs for DCUO were making a Marvel MMO and during development it got scrapped. Which is another game that is is doing massive cash grabs by WB. Several Voice actors in Injustice are in DCUO as well. Again, there were was no official source or confirmation. And yes, those guests were a smart move.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Actually, the devs for DCUO were making a Marvel MMO and during development it got scrapped. Which is another game that is is doing massive cash grabs by WB. Several Voice actors in Injustice are in DCUO as well. Again, there were was no official source or confirmation. And yes, those guests were a smart move.
That's because Dimensional Ink Games (who are a subsidiary of Daybreak) made DCUO with WB Games but were never apart of WB. They made DCUO during the period where Daybreak were still independent after leaving Sony but are now owned by Enad Global 7. They're are probably not under any obligation to only work on WB IPs, they probably have the freedom to simply work with Disney Interactive & Marvel Games unless there's issues with Enad Global 7 or they have a contract with WB Games that says something.

Should feel fresh af, and I should wake up in the morning with a desire to play. It's just not there.
Understandable. From the offline, single player perspective...my option is currently to replay Seasonal tower something like 20 times to get it up to a reasonable rate of earning stuff. I need to beat a multi-fight tower TWENTY TIMES before it starts giving me worthwhile pay out.

That level of unfun grind is just insane. At least in MK11 with towers I could jump in, earn something immediately even if it was small like a little trinket customizable or even a little symbol or two for variation load-outs, earn some XP and feel like I did something...

Now there's a 20 fight gap between me and even getting that meaningful XP. Just unreal bad design.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Understandable. From the offline, single player perspective...my option is currently to replay Seasonal tower something like 20 times to get it up to a reasonable rate of earning stuff. I need to beat a multi-fight tower TWENTY TIMES before it starts giving me worthwhile pay out.

That level of unfun grind is just insane. At least in MK11 with towers I could jump in, earn something immediately even if it was small like a little trinket customizable or even a little symbol or two for variation load-outs, earn some XP and feel like I did something...

Now there's a 20 fight gap between me and even getting that meaningful XP. Just unreal bad design.
Yeah, you can absolutely have a system that is a grind but it can also be fun. The problem with NRS games is that all the SP modes that you grind are all boring and a waste of time. I’ve said this several times now, but why can’t they come out with fun SP modes like they used to have? Like Motor Kombat and Chess Kombat. There’s so much they could do as far as making super fun SP modes, and they do the absolute laziest thing possible outside of the story mode. No one wants to face the terrible AI first of all, but having to face the terrible AI while there’s a whole bunch of nonsense added to it that just makes it annoying and obnoxious to play is such an awful decision. That said, they DO have by an insanely wide margin by far the best story mode in the fighting game genre. Which is definitely appreciated. But it’s not like the story mode has any replayability to it. Like, idk, it just feels like they have sooo much potential to make amazing game modes outside of what they end up giving us. Seriously, just imagine a multiplayer chess kombat mode (or even a SP one)? Or Motor Kombat? And those are things they’ve already done over a decade ago.

My idea was to have a party game mode and an arcade game mode. Party game mode would have Motor Kombat, Chess Kombat, and a version of the Invasions mode that is like Mario Party. All 3 can be played against the AI or can be played online.

Then the Arcade Mode would have you enter an arcade where you can play some of the classic MK’s like the OG MK1, MK2, UMK3, MKT and maybe even also MK4. And again, you can play these against the AI or online. And there would be leaderboards for both this game mode and the party game mode.

I know that sounds like a lot, but I’d prefer something like those 2 over the crappy Invasions mode. I’d even prefer it over the story mode. Like you can still have a story mode, just don’t invest as much time into it. Because actually playing the story mode is almost just as boring as Invasions, it’s just the actual story is what is enjoyable.

And I doubt they’d ever do any of that because it’d require a lot of effort. But I don’t think it’d require a ton of additional budget. This is assuming they didn’t have the Invasions mode and the story mode was shorter or something.

Idk, mainly just rambling. I just feel like NRS could make the greatest fighting game of all time if they had amazing gameplay on the actual game like with MK1, but then have a ton of these other features that millions of people would be playing every single day. Just feels like they could do so much more but just choose not to. ¯\(ツ)

Shania Twain

That's because Dimensional Ink Games (who are a subsidiary of Daybreak) made DCUO with WB Games but were never apart of WB. They made DCUO during the period where Daybreak were still independent after leaving Sony but are now owned by Enad Global 7. They're are probably not under any obligation to only work on WB IPs, they probably have the freedom to simply work with Disney Interactive & Marvel Games unless there's issues with Enad Global 7 or they have a contract with WB Games that says something.
Yes. I think though from what I saw/rumored the Marvel MMO was...not good and several people were leaving etc. Sidebar: Their most recent content update had Susan Eisenberg, and Kevin Conroy. I found this interesting Susan was in MK1 and new voice lines in that game at nearly the same time and Kevin Conroy had to have recorded the lines a long time ago, along with the constantly delayed Suicide Squad game. I digress.