What's new

What Happened, NRS?!

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
It is a really tough one, and I guess it depends on your priorities. This really could have been the best MK of all time, but it is not.

Gameplay wise, it is up there with MKX/MK9, and the cast IMO is the best out of any MK game by a mile - everything else about the game is one of the worst in the series. If the gameplay was like MK11, I would have left already and gone back to SF6.

You would certainly expect more these days. SF6 showed how fighting games should be done in 2023 onwards. SF6 is a massive love letter to the series and was made with a lot of care. It created a very high bar. MK1 is an embarrassment in comparison – its over the top monetisation borders on disdainful.

The lack of QOL is astounding, particularly at launch where you could not even pin moves in practice mode.

The story was great for the first half and then became a disaster with the multiverse angle which I thought they were finally getting rid of.

The amount of bugs is unacceptable.

Invasions were an absolute disaster to begin with and are now just average (being generous).

The promise of an RPG experience is non-existent apart from stacking stats. An RPG to me means a storyline and some sort of character development – there is literally none except a little 30 second dialogue at the end.

The middle mesa is still shit. You do not know what, if any, rewards you are getting, and you never get anything particularly good anyway. As much as I did not like MK11, at least you know what rewards you were getting at the end of the tower and could choose whether you wanted to put in the effort or not.

The rewards you do get are mainly terrible palette swaps and pieces of gear that are hardly noticeable on most characters.

All of this is just the beginning of the bad points.

The game is a massive disappointment in what could have been the best title in the series.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I honestly think this game would be a lot better just by removing ALL the assists/mechanic. The gameplay is great but the assist mechanic just enables ALL the bullshit. And no, nerfing Lao, Cyrax etc will not solve anytyhing, people just gonna switch to Stryker, Kano etc to make either HTB or be safe/plus on otherwise minus(on block) strings. I know this will never happen - just a thought.

Everything else in this game is a simple cash grab, unfinnished, subpar product in every way and to top it all off - with crazy MTX on top of 70$ price tag. I expect even worse in MK2 or whatever its gonna be called. At this point, for me - its just a waiting room for T8.
Uni2
49.99 Base
59.99 Premium with all DLC included
Free Open beta until release, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER INCLUDED, EVEN THE NEW ONES, no need to pay anything to access, just head over the store and download it, Has access to training mode, and while some of the features could've been better overall, the game still funcions a lot better than MK1.

This is my last MK purchase, i won't be getting another one, and if i do, i will make sure to buy physical discs post release and two months of review, the Money i spent in this game could've easily go to pre-order tekken 8

An additional 50 bucks most likely. They think 6 characters is worth 40 bucks so if it’s another Kombat pack plus a story, y’all who are sticking around better be ready to pay up.
the rumors are its 3 chars and story like aftermath was,so 50-60 would be on point with their current philosophy of agressive monetisation

xRantex

Rante Inferno
This game is almost unplayable, online gets stale fast and that's all it has to offer...

I feel for casuals that's not really good and only got it for the features cause they're aren't any LOL !

For me, I've never been a fan of "tag" games, and was concerned when I saw they were going in that direction with the game.

I became significantly more concerned when they started showcasing 3D era characters and when it became obvious the Story Mode was going to be a retelling of that trilogy. The 3D era and everything about it is hot garbage, and nothing good comes from that waste of an era.

Playing in the Stress Test and the Closed Beta, I certainly had a lot of fun and saw a promising base formula for the game. The retail game itself though, while having very high production values for it's Story Mode, does overall feel lacking. It's not a bad game, but it is missing something and feels very formulaic. People keep praising the Gameplay, yet I still find it more restrictive than Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. As I mentioned in another thread, the characters I play have basically 1 or 2 good starting strings, and that's it. I'm still generally doing the same general kombo over and over and over. It has a very been-there-done-that feel.

Again, I don't think this is a bad game, but it very clearly needed more time in the oven and is, at best, a good game. It's 100% overpriced and I too am not keen on how the Store is set up. Even my fiance finds the overall game lacking, and misses Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate more and more as she plays Mortal Kombat 1.

For an expansion set, based on the post credits sequence, it looks like more 3D era garbage to me. We'll see if I bite right away, or if I pass, or wait for a sale.

20 years ago I walked away from the franchise because 3D era trash. It might be time for me to bow out of the franchise once again and simply enjoy the reboot trilogy instead (as I did with the original trilogy). We'll see.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I said during prerelease that I would only buy this game if they showed 3d era characters some love or if the gameplay was great. Got damn monkey paw.

The monetization is asinine, and I honestly wouldn't be as upset if they gave us ways to earn their krystals indefinitely like in weeklies or dailies like in 11. $10 for skins, announcer voice and seasonal fatals? Barely 2 months in and feels like the store is already double the price of the base game.

While improved this season, invasions is just not it. I would love a konquest/beat em up type mode, but give me 2011s game modes and I would be ecstatic just for that. I feel no need to go back, I tried with first season but it's just become a mode to farm the limited amount of krystals we get.

And online, my gosh it is so bad. How there are still no wifi / ping filters is astounding. And it feels like just the general play of online has gone downhill. I'd never thought I'd see the day where I would say Street Fighter has delivered a better all-around product, but here we are. This has the potential to dethrone 9 and Deception as my favorite MKs. I really hope they get it together

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Yup ive had a couple of people do that shit on me , i usually put it down to lag but its not natural lag if that makes sense , its an ok connection until i land something then it goes to shit .. i just abuse pokes in that situation and they cant react its pretty funny
Late to the party, but it's possible (if you're on XBOX) that you were playing a Series S user.

My Series S served me well all through the stress test and the beta, but once the game launched it went to total shit. Not sure if it's the bigger maps or what. Every other game it seemed the framerate would just plunge down to 20-30fps. Ping would still be showing 70ms or whatever it was at before the slowdown started. It wouldn't fix itself until that particular game was over, reaching the Finish Him/Her screen. Next game would be fine until the next slowdown, rinse and repeat.

I'd get so much hatemail. Spent so much time troubleshooting everything.

Weird thing was you could practice on every map in the game for hours on end and not experience any of those slow motion shits.

Anyways traded in towards a Series X and I haven't encountered anything like it since.

Late to the party, but it's possible (if you're on XBOX) that you were playing a Series S user.

My Series S served me well all through the stress test and the beta, but once the game launched it went to total shit. Not sure if it's the bigger maps or what. Every other game it seemed the framerate would just plunge down to 20-30fps. Ping would still be showing 70ms or whatever it was at before the slowdown started. It wouldn't fix itself until that particular game was over, reaching the Finish Him/Her screen. Next game would be fine until the next slowdown, rinse and repeat.

I'd get so much hatemail. Spent so much time troubleshooting everything.

Weird thing was you could practice on every map in the game for hours on end and not experience any of those slow motion shits.

Anyways traded in towards a Series X and I haven't encountered anything like it since.
Wow, if so, that's likely an optimization issue on NetherRealm's end and not the console itself. This was only online and never offline, yes?

That's correct, what made it all the more confusing.
I wonder... speculation on my part, but it might be something to do with the visual pair backs on the XSS version.

On XSS, they had to reduce various background elements, i.e NPCs in a background, and even things like reduced flower petals falling on the floor.

They're not big things during the normal play of the game, however I wonder if they were causing sync/network issues when playing against PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X players.

My thinking here is back in Mortal Kombat 11 on PC, there was an issue with objects on a stage (i.e. bones and skulls on the floor of Shinnok's Bone Temple) causing lag/sync issues. For a time they actually patched out these objects on PC until the issue was resolved.

Perhaps, this is what's happening on XSS.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I wonder... speculation on my part, but it might be something to do with the visual pair backs on the XSS version.

On XSS, they had to reduce various background elements, i.e NPCs in a background, and even things like reduced flower petals falling on the floor.

They're not big things during the normal play of the game, however I wonder if they were causing sync/network issues when playing against PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X players.

My thinking here is back in Mortal Kombat 11 on PC, there was an issue with objects on a stage (i.e. bones and skulls on the floor of Shinnok's Bone Temple) causing lag/sync issues. For a time they actually patched out these objects on PC until the issue was resolved.

Perhaps, this is what's happening on XSS.
That sounds like a damn good theory, and something I could totally see NRS messing up/overlooking again.

I wasn't aware this was a thing on the PC port of MK11. But yeah, there's definitely way less background stuff on the S. I was suprised to see how populated stages like the Teahouse were on the X. It would also make sense that I'd notice it happening more on the bigger maps. The bigger the map, the bigger the disrcrepancy in background items between the S and X.

LEGEND

YES!
i have a Series S and get the same thing. I've had to reduce the resolution to 720, disable all forms of recording/capture, remove everything else off the internal storage and delete single player from the "add-ons" list just to make it perform somewhat stable, with each action taken separately and resulting in slight improvement.

However, it'll still locks up and goes slow-mo if there is an excessive amount of effects on screen, like blood spatter everywhere from getting comboed by Nitara while on that night stage with fireworks going off.

luckily (heh) the matchmaking is complete garbage so i don't play against randoms much and can avoid these situations.

The only pleasures i get is scrubs quitaliting or whining on microphone, and watching lowtiergod mirror stream of him getting owned reiko spamming. The maps look gorgeous too shout out to whoever designed em

M2Dave

Zoning Master
People keep praising the Gameplay, yet I still find it more restrictive than Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate.
No way.

Yes, this game is arguably the most conspicuous cash grab in fighting game history and yes, the online gameplay options are inexcusably lacking.

However, Mortal Kombat 1 is fundamentally superior to its predecessor in terms of the gameplay.

Forget the restrictions, which is a separate discussion. Players were getting hit by combos for trying to do combos or enforcing okizeme.

Mortal Kombat 1 is an infinitely more intuitive fighting game, which is why I can play the game in spite of its flaws. Apparently, most of you can too. Why would you be present on this website otherwise?

I hope people keep criticizing and complaining though, because changes are evidently coming.