What's new

What "dont" you like about the game so far?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't mind back to block but with this game it just feels... Off. Does anyone else have that feel?

It's when doing a combo, determing if it's hit or not, usually because the follow up is punishable on block. Like, let's use Lex's 112. Before the last hit, you can tell after the first two if they're blocking or not, so if it hits you follow up with charge or his gravity pull. :)
And if its being blocked, you end it with something safe. Thought that should be added. Lol

Reactions: RYX

AYSAMO

Noob
Lacks footsies and you can't hit confirm your combos. You have to fully commit which is annoying.

The lack of a mid range game is the worst thing though. You either play from a distance or really up close since both of these are far too strong compared to a footsies game. Too many fast overheads and the AA's are too good and damaging. Also the lack of guard canceling dashes kills that approach too.

The main issue is that they need to create a way for opening the opponent up from mid range by either buffing jump ins/nerfing AA's or /and buffing dashes somehow. Also they really need to extend the range on medium and heavy normals.

This is all from my initial impressions from a demo though so I can't really know. Maybe I'm wrong and this experimental system is godlk. Gonna have to wait till launch to find out.
It lacks MORTAL KOMBAT footsies. you can't dash in and mash d3 any more. You just need fundamentals now, because footsies isn't player 1 biased and there's no "d3 then crossup" shenanigans gonna be happening anymore. There's real anti-airs and hit trading, and real frame data. The footsies in this game are gonna look fucking sweet once everyone studies up on their frame data.

And my problem with the dash not being cancelable at any point during the dash is really only the length of the dash. If you had a short dash, it wouldn't be a problem. But you cover a lot of ground and are pretty vulnerable while you do it.

The way movement works in this game makes me reconsider thinking characters like nightwing or joker aren't gonna be that good. Shorthops are gonna be hella good.

I didn't have a ton to do with it besides giving (or forcing) my opinions on some things or fixing bug. But I agree some pretty fucking awesome AI work was done here. The main programmers involved with it, Jay Biondo and Eric Azevedo along with designers Eddie Ferrier and Mike Portillo (ZuggZugg) did some pretty innovating shit and deserve props. Also after the game is out and you get to check it out, you can send a cake to Tony Smith and Alexander Barrentine (the programmers involved with training mode).
What were you programming then? Gameplay?

It lacks MORTAL KOMBAT footsies. you can't dash in and mash d3 any more. You just need fundamentals now, because footsies isn't player 1 biased and there's no "d3 then crossup" shenanigans gonna be happening anymore. There's real anti-airs and hit trading, and real frame data. The footsies in this game are gonna look fucking sweet once everyone studies up on their frame data.

And my problem with the dash not being cancelable at any point during the dash is really only the length of the dash. If you had a short dash, it wouldn't be a problem. But you cover a lot of ground and are pretty vulnerable while you do it.

The way movement works in this game makes me reconsider thinking characters like nightwing or joker aren't gonna be that good. Shorthops are gonna be hella good.
This ain't MK. There shouldn't be D3 cross up, Lol.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You probably have more experience with MK9 than I do, but I will approach attacking, offensive by seeing if dash unders into combos, pokes get me anywhere. Use your d+3 to knockdown and set the tone of your offense. You also won't have to always find ways in, because people will come to you if you use your life lead properly and zone with your projectiles. Obviously, there will be teleporting and other familiar things from the previous game, so your MK 9 knowledge isn't useless. You just have to be a tad(very small) bit more patient with what you show your opponent, now that the block button is gone. The game is still the combo system you know, but slightly different, more responsive, and more cool looking imo. Your offense will be more determined by how you use all of the tools that IGAU gives you:transition, interactables, bit of zoning, d+3, throwing and your strings. You've played MK9, so you still are going to have most of the action of MK9, but now it might require a bit more clever thinking to dominate an opponent from round to round. My opinion. Might not work, but that's how I approach back to block 2d games.
Sorry but what's dash unders into combos and pokes?

I tried dashing into d1 and that doesn't work.

AYSAMO

Noob
This ain't MK. There shouldn't be D3 cross up, Lol.
Yes, that was my point lol. Most of this community's problem with IGAU's movement is they are probably not used to other fighting games that don't have any dash cancels like street fighter, so it might seem like a slower game compared to MK where people are used to watching johnny cage do a fullscreen f3 lolol.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I don't mind back to block but with this game it just feels... Off. Does anyone else have that feel?

Yeah kinda.

---

You guys can disagree as much as you like but you cant lie and say dash canceling attacks wouldn't make this game and its combos a whole lot more fun.

The dash cancelable attacks made MK9 feel a lot more fast and fluid, and it let me get a lot more flashy and longer combos in.

I'll have to adjust but I still think they should have stuck with dash cancels, at least for attacks.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
A woman doesn't have to look like a crackwhore transexual with an elongated neck from giving too many BJ's on street corners and a jaw like an anvil to look tough/athletic. The modeling for the character is terrible. Also, don't get me started on crack man and his false teeth. The man looks like someone you'd see in a dark alley smoking a crack pipe dressed in a party city batsuit.
I logged in just to "like" this post. Batman looks like he belongs on Hollywood Blvd, lmao

edit: forgot to mention, on another note, the soundtrack in this game is ass.

What I don't like? Well of course the rest of the cast and the option to turn the timer off. I didn't care for MK but really like how this plays out. Well I guess I can't I don't like MK I just don't like the block button aspect of it it was awkward and couldn't get into it since I basically came from the SF format.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I didn't have a ton to do with it besides giving (or forcing) my opinions on some things or fixing bug. But I agree some pretty fucking awesome AI work was done here. The main programmers involved with it, Jay Biondo and Eric Azevedo along with designers Eddie Ferrier and Mike Portillo (ZuggZugg) did some pretty innovating shit and deserve props. Also after the game is out and you get to check it out, you can send a cake to Tony Smith and Alexander Barrentine (the programmers involved with training mode).
Phil should have his wife bake cookies/brownies for all of NRS. I hear her brownies are gdlk! 9.95

Also, do those guys have a twitter account? Want to express my gratitude.

Wigy

There it is...
There are plenty of women who play under neutral names because they don't want to put up with idiot guys. My wife has created such accounts for herself and I know others who have too. Demographics are changing. The average age of a gamer is mid-30s now, like 34 or 36, not 16. One of the fastest growing demographics is older retirees who are using games to stave off Alzheimer's and other diseases that come from lack of brain activity. [I got that from the BBC, btw.] All this time we've been trying to tell people games are way past Asteroids and are more like interactive movies now, well... it is working. They're listening. If you are a 14 year dude, chances are you know mostly 14 year old dudes, so that's who you think are the main players of video games, but it ain't the case. One of these days you'll go for Thanksgiving dinner and Grand-Aunt Marge is going to body you at your favorite fighter, lol.
Nah i'm 19, i wasn't suggesting that all the girls on xbl are have GT's like PonyPuffPrincess and i'm aware they have GT's which give no indication that they are girls but you would think that if 40% of gamers are girls i would have come across more than about 20 people i knew were definitely girls in what is easily.... 120 days of online playtime.

Again, i realise this is absolutely Off topic. I'm sure although things are changing but if you looked at average daily playtime of males vs females on consoles it would probably be around 4 times bigger for guys if not more. I have no beef with girls playing its just an observation from what i've seen.

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
I'm having some troubles with back to block conflicting with AA specials in this game. For example, one of batman's AAs is d b+1 (don't know what notation you guys prefer but i mean the grapple gun), which keeps coming out when I block low then high and try to punish. I'm probably just having this problem because i'm used to capcom fighters, where you can still do almost all of your normals while holding back. Do I need to get in the habit of putting the stick in neutral position before I try to attack, or will the arcade stick inputs make that a bit easier?

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Phil should have his wife bake cookies/brownies for all of NRS. I hear her brownies are gdlk! 9.95

Also, do those guys have a twitter account? Want to express my gratitude.
just zuggzugg the programmers are too old school for twitter

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Really growing on this demo, first i thought it was slow paced now it feels really fast and fluid love it

not that reviews matter the FGC but i can see this getting 9/10 that 1 being cut due to to the animations being repetitive,,, but they can fix this with a "Vote to skip" on transitions "an option to skip outros" but i have no problem with these in the long run just guessing out on the casual, in Fighting and Community listening this is defo a 10

Edit: Oh and Batmans corner combo,,, b1,3 DASH 22, MB Zip line, Flying kick Stage Trans has the be the coolest looking combo ever

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The fight outs won't feel as odd as they do in the demo as the stat screens come up during that time in all modes.