What's new

Question - Kitana What does Kitana need?

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Mournful's zoning is decent, sure, but IMO you're making it out to be a lot stronger than it actually is. It takes 25 frames for the projectile to come out at all, so you can block it on reaction from any distance, and depending on what distance you are from her, you can even jump over it and be safe regardless of whether it gets arced up or not. Coupled with the fact regular glaives do low damage compared to other projectiles, and so you can afford to take comparatively more risks to get in, and overall her zoning certainly isn't among the scariest in the game.

Shadow Kick is a very good move, for sure, but it's not without its risks - on a read you can duck and full combo punish it, for starters. Regular low profiling moves work well too; in a worst case scenario, you'll both whiff.

As for EX glaives, the majority of normals and strings into glaive can be armoured through, the only real exceptions being 111, 212 and b3. Even assuming you can't armour out of the first hit, the second hit of EX glaive can be armoured through. Of course, that becomes a guessing game that's usually in Kitana's favour because she can bait the armour and punish, but given it takes work to set up in the first place and costs meter, it's not really overpowered.

None of Kitana's variations needs nerfs. This is especially true given that the changes to the throw system (which, for the record, I actually think will prove beneficial in the long run) are already an indirect nerf to Kitana regardless of variation used.
But who would you say could zone with her evenly? I just feel like she has all the tools to control the match but i think your right. Maybe the characters I use against her are bad Mus.

Wait what? It's pretty sad when top tiers want buffs. She is fine where she is an what she does, I wouldn't mind buffs to assasin and mournful doe. Also buffs Raiden or erease him from the game.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
She's got way too many great staggers, plus frames and good mids to need an overhead starter. She would probably be a broken character with that shit

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Your suggestions are crazy...Assassin is the only one that needs buffs, and very little ones. Actually just two, recovery on sharpen and start up on parry.

Why do you downplayers think that she needs an overhead so bad?

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Every string Kitana possesses is -2 or, except b12, 21, and f334. Plus, Fan Throw is -9 iirc, you can armor or poke after it. And with the damage nerf, her only good damage string is really f112, with a startup of 14f. 111 is cool, but you really only get 30% from it.

Airvidal

Every string Kitana possesses is -2 or, except b12, 21, and f334. Plus, Fan Throw is -9 iirc, you can armor or poke after it. And with the damage nerf, her only good damage string is really f112, with a startup of 14f. 111 is cool, but you really only get 30% from it.
I think fan is -7

Um, assassin doesn't have the same amazing keep out as royal storm/mournful, it's kinda sad but if you you can outzone kitana in assassin she's basically screwed. Ex run is an anti-zoning tool and should be used as such.
What is assassin missing besides like reflect and fan lift if she is getting outzoned that bad the person should just switch to royal Storm isnt the variation system about matchups

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Her staggers aren't even hard to react to TBH -__-
You only have to respect 21 into B1 (some characters don't even have to respect that, she can then do 21 into D1 but the frame data on D1 is booty)

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
But who would you say could zone with her evenly? I just feel like she has all the tools to control the match but i think your right. Maybe the characters I use against her are bad Mus.
Mournful handles Sub-Zero better than Royal Storm but he most likely still has a slight advantage... Her zoning is good but it's not like she locks you down like Quan Chi with skull into rune into bat call or has various projectiles.
Her glaive toss cannot be made low, it always hits mid. Her pressure is very good but people have options now unlike pre-patch.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I think fan is -7
I'm wrong, it's -8. Kitana fastest poke is 8 frames, so if Kitana throws a fan, you have 17 frames to poke. Lol and most strings are around -4, so usually you can poke within 10 frames. And most of her BnBs are 30% exactly, so she has bad damage too. And that is ROYAL STORM. Mournful might get the same, idk.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
What is assassin missing besides like reflect and fan lift if she is getting outzoned that bad the person should just switch to royal Storm isnt the variation system about matchups
Or maybe us assassin players would like our variation to be on par with the others. Assassin would be fine as i said if she had full armor on ex run, not just 3 steps and then armor vanishes which is a major problem. Sharpen is practically useless. We have to drop our combo half way through just to get a sharpen set up so I don't understand why everyone is giving kitana players such a hard time for wanting this variation to work how it's suppose to.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I'm wrong, it's -8. Kitana fastest poke is 8 frames, so if Kitana throws a fan, you have 17 frames to poke. Lol and most strings are around -4, so usually you can poke within 10 frames. And most of her BnBs are 30% exactly, so she has bad damage too. And that is ROYAL STORM. Mournful might get the same, idk.
Her damage is fine. 30+ meterless off every convertion is very good. A character who can combo off a fullscreen fast projectile into 30% doesn't need much damage.
And since it's meterless and builds a very good amount of meter she can save it for breakers, armor or her X-ray (which is a top 3 X-ray in the game)
Not to mention she gets 42% midscreen and 48% in the corner for a bar.

Airvidal

Okay, this is the problem with the way you play Kitana. You aren't supposed to be throwing fans at your opponent when you're on his face. The fans are meant to be used when you're far out so you zone him while you're building meter, chipping him out and landing a few fans if your opponent makes a mistake.

What you're supposed to do when in his face is use your plus strings and staggers which are really safe. Example: F1, 1 Stop, she's -2 then go for b1, 4, or 1,1,1. Your opponent most likely will not react in 2 frames and b1 is only 9 frames and 1 is just 8.

What some people is messing up on is that they try to do this stagger: f1, 1 stop, the f1, 1. Nooooo, that can work but you can react to it, more often than not.

Also, let me give you another advice. If you do throw a fan on front of their faces and they block, don't try to poke....you know you're negative, why would you commit suicide? It's their turn, just wait for your turn, be patient.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Every time i ready that kitana has amazing stagger pressure i genuinely wonder if any of you have fought liu/lao/d'vorah/cassie/erron black/whoever else has run cancels. Especially when kitana just get's +1 off of her "pressure".

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Her damage is fine. 30+ meterless off every convertion is very good. A character who can combo off a fullscreen fast projectile into 30% doesn't need much damage.
And since it's meterless and builds a very good amount of meter she can save it for breakers, armor or her X-ray (which is a top 3 X-ray in the game)
Not to mention she gets 42% midscreen and 48% in the corner for a bar.
I never see thes 30%+ conversions in tournament. And f112 is wonky af in the corner. These 30%+ combos really only work from jump ins. And what is this fabled unbreakable combo? I only see a Fan Lift followed by 4 fans.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Okay, this is the problem with the way you play Kitana. You aren't supposed to be throwing fans at your opponent when you're on his face. The fans are meant to be used when you're far out so you zone him while you're building meter, chipping him out and landing a few fans if your opponent makes a mistake.

What you're supposed to do when in his face is use your plus strings and staggers which are really safe. Example: F1, 1 Stop, she's -2 then go for b1, 4, or 1,1,1. Your opponent most likely will not react in 2 frames and b1 is only 9 frames and 1 is just 8.

What some people is messing up on is that they try to do this stagger: f1, 1 stop, the f1, 1. Nooooo, that can work but you can react to it, more often than not.

Also, let me give you another advice. If you do throw a fan on front of their faces and they block, don't try to poke....you know you're negative, why would you commit suicide? It's their turn, just wait for your turn, be patient.
I don't. People complain when other Kitana's do it to them, saying it's OP or whatever, when it really isn't.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I never see thes 30%+ conversions in tournament. And f112 is wonky af in the corner. These 30%+ combos really only work from jump ins. And what is this fabled unbreakable combo? I only see a Fan Lift followed by 4 fans.
Then that's not her fault lol. People don't do her optimal damage combos, it's their problem...
And actually she can get 30% at least off every string without a jump-in.
And her unbreakable combos are good, but I didn't mean those... If you see a fan hit them in the air you can run into full combo or combo into another fan so you get more time to get in and combo off it.