What's new

Question What does Green Lantern lose to?

Green lantern is severely hindered in the matchup against rgq, aka ragequitters. So far there is no answer for that and it severely cripples his play. Ever since the patch people been quitting all day.

I am pretty sure the frame data regarding minigun is wrong. I think minigun is a lot safer than shown there because I have been unable to punish it with Superman's f23 which may be because I am not judging the sweep of the minigun correctly but it seems like every time I try to react that little bit quicker, I get hit by the end of the sweep. Either way, it's tough to punish minigun because of how long the damn sweep seems to stay on the screen lol.

I'll give some reasons for why i think Green lantern is not quite as good as people think he is at the moment (which is not to say he's bad or not top tier), but he's definitely not this broken, mindless character people seem to think he is. So here are some weaknesses from a GL's point of view as I played nothing but green lantern for a good week or so after I got the game and while I can't really comment on too many matchups, I feel I can say a little bit about his overall weaknesses.

Firstly, if you take Green Lantern into the lab and start messing around with him, the first thing you're going to notice is his incredibly clunky dash. Green Lantern's dash must be one of the absolute worst in the game, and because of this he has a horrible time trying to backdash things other characters can backdash out of with ease. This exposes Green lantern to a tonne of pressure against people who can get in (Batman, Doomsday, etc). Once you're inside Green lantern's most viable defense is mb f3 (which is an incredible defense mechanism). Lift, while coming out at 10 frames is super punishable on block and not recommended here. F3, while outstanding imo, is easily baited due to its short range. f3 will blow up any sort of mindless pressure, but smart players will take a small backstep every now and then with a shot at whiff punishing this move, comboing GL and then putting him right back in the grinder afterwards.

GL's poor dash also hampers his ability to get around basic zoning by some of the better zoners in the game (Sinestro, Cyborg, Deathstroke and even Superman, imo) and everybody I am mentioning in brackets is, without being able to attribute a number so early, a "difficult" matchup for Green lantern, so that's 6 so far. Turbine is NOT an option to gap close for Green lantern in any of these matchups. Turbine cannot be done anywhere other than fullscreen, and turbine is handing massive advantage to your opponent even if you get it off through the obstacle course of projectiles. Go ahead, desperation turbine right into me, and get blown up by Supe's f23 or immediately locked down in breath pressure.

So, there are two places on the screen you can fight Green lantern from: up close or from 3/4 to fullscreen. Green Lantern has some of the better footsies in the game thanks to b1, lift and the space control of minigun which all aid in covering the hole left behind by his terrible dash. Solution: fight him outside of his optimal zone and you will start to see results. MB oa rockets are probably his best and most threatening projectiles but, guess what, he cannot MB them against any of the game's best zoners because he's always making losing trades if he goes for grounded oa rockets.

GL is a good character, but I actually think he's got very real weaknesses which, with time, much more of the cast are going to start exposing. Good luck, Green Lanterns.

Oh, Pig of the hut posted a video of him backdashing between b1 and either follow up and full combo punishing the second part of the string. GL's will have to start using b1 minigun to poke with in future.
The day I lose a zoning war to superman is a day I stop playing. Unless you got full meter and the fear of your super. G.l out zones superman easy. The others walk and block or air oa rocket then trait cancel gatlin to get in. But the others do out zone him

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
lol at the people saying GL has no 50/50.

His f3 is only sub-par to Killer Frosts, and thats only in the range department.
GLs is a frame faster and its not - on block.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
The day I lose a zoning war to superman is a day I stop playing. Unless you got full meter and the fear of your super. G.l out zones superman easy. The others walk and block or air oa rocket then trait cancel gatlin to get in. But the others do out zone him

Did you just say GL outzones Superman? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Squizz

Corps Speedster
You cant poke out of it unless they dont finish and only do B1, but you cant poke out of B13. You can parry it however.
what exactly do you mean by parry, to me parry is a StreetFighter 3 term. how is that term defined in this game

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Doomsday, Nightwing, Green Arrow, and Batgirl are GL's worst match ups IMO, he can handle the others pretty well but these are a pain in the ass for him.

Doomsday and green arrow aren't that bad, and its only recently that night wing tech started being found to make him a possible threat. As for bat girl, while its easy to see her potentially being a problem, it will probably take a while for the character to catch on.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Doomsday and green arrow aren't that bad, and its only recently that night wing tech started being found to make him a possible threat. As for bat girl, while its easy to see her potentially being a problem, it will probably take a while for the character to catch on.

losing a match up 4-6 aint bad for sure, but it is in Arrows favor.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

Lantern can't zone or run away, also has trouble getting in when he needs to catch up in life.

If there were not interactable in stages I think this would be a 6-4. But being a power character stages kinda skew the number. But tools and options lead me to believe this is in Arrows favor.

I can go into super detail of my thoughts and experiences if you would like, I'm just making some breaky so this is the short post.

Fair enough reason I wanted the analysis is for tourney purposes, not discrediting it, just never got blown up by an arrow and wanted more input of his tricks against g.l. I mean at full screen it even favored me and interactives do skew the numbers greatly.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
lol at the people saying GL has no 50/50.

His f3 is only sub-par to Killer Frosts, and thats only in the range department.
GLs is a frame faster and its not - on block.
It also hops over lows, and hits from higher.

The problem is the range, though, but with how reliably GL can set up getting that close due to his toolset at certain ranges, it quickly stops becoming an issue for the most part.

Also, Jimmy, GA doesn't beat GL. GA's awful range on his normals become a huge liability not only due to footsies, but because he has to pressure GL close enough to where GL can do f3, which is a huge plus at that range. Also, by nature, GA has a tough time continuing his zoning due to reloading arrows. This is where patient play from GL becomes a big plus. GA realistically will either not be able to keep GL out for long, or he will just throw himself into the corner.

Dark_Rob

Noob
what exactly do you mean by parry, to me parry is a StreetFighter 3 term. how is that term defined in this game
Its character specific. Batman for instance has a parry special move that comes out in like 1 frame. So he can parry between B1 and 3.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
It also hops over lows, and hits from higher.

The problem is the range, though, but with how reliably GL can set up getting that close due to his toolset at certain ranges, it quickly stops becoming an issue for the most part.

Also, Jimmy, GA doesn't beat GL. GA's awful range on his normals become a huge liability not only due to footsies, but because he has to pressure GL close enough to where GL can do f3, which is a huge plus at that range. Also, by nature, GA has a tough time continuing his zoning due to reloading arrows. This is where patient play from GL becomes a big plus. GA realistically will either not be able to keep GL out for long, or he will just throw himself into the corner.

Arrow doesnt need to "zone" in this match up, but I don't see how he has a tough time reloading. if I was going to "zone" i would stay full screen, and there is nothing you can do to me from there, if he starts the old jump bullet shot I just jump arrow and freeze.

Corners are not a real problem in this game due to interactables, Arrow has good set ups coming out of the corner and xploading shit to go into combo. Lift is punishable by arrow and seems to be GL only real wake up. D1 range is all you need for a normal in this match but F2 has good forward movement as well. The only thing I really have to look out for is the rediculous range of B1.

It could be closer to even at the highest level, but with all the Lanterns I've played I always feel in control. Arrow can win a poke battle up close and I can poke after the B1 on the one string. Arrow Can sit full screen all day and scout what lantern will do because of lanterns shitty dash and no way to get in without me having mega options. the jet ride move gets blow the hell up if that is used to try get in as well.

if you sit and fish for B1's all day I just DB2 away, if I need to get in I can trade with a freeze arrow and 2 dashes and i'm in super quick.

I just think Arrow has all the tools to maintain complete control.

Also with interactables, if your not full screen throwing it I can most likely Jump 3 you out of it with the insane range of Jump 3.

Maybe I have just out played most of the lanterns I've played, AwesomO showed me a need trap he has but he said you can just forward dash out of it and punish so thats not a real worry either.

Also in regards to jump ins, GL's don't seem to be that great and I can reliably D2 for anti air into combo arrow load or super set up.

After blocked Machine gun upclose I'm pretty much at the range I want to be at, and it becomes a game of who moves first, if you jump back to shoot shit i dash forward and punish before you land, if you go for lift I block, if you jump in I AA, if you go for B1 it should wiff. So it seems to come down to life lead which I usually have becuase I run like a bitch and shoot fire arrows for the first bit and there is nothing you can do to me.

Arrow can actually release and arrow and have the GL ground bullet thing wiff as well, but I get a hit, so even if it's just a normal arrow i get enough advantage to either load a power arrow or dash in and do my thing.

Oh also my super resets become viable because you won't really have meter to clash due to GL needing it to do any damage in his combos, and you won't be able to build it as well due to being un able to spam the bullet move, and if you do have meter to clash i can still get near 60 unclashable.

One thing I will say, Online, this is 100x harder for Arrow then offline.

But you are very knowledlgable THTB and I respect you, but In my experience playing Lanterns at the same "Fighting Game" skill level as me, I feel there is advantage for Arrow.

A better player then me all around, will whip my ass all day with Lantern, especially online. lol

Just my random thoughts, plus I'm at work and can't really think of everything right now.

Thanks for the info on g.a moves, if you were on ps3 I would wish to see it in action and learn from it. But g.l does have more options for range than just the oa rocket, and I don't know if it is lag slowing down g.a movement or what, but from long range, air missile seems to just trade or go unscathed by arrows, and I generally break out of the ice before they can follow up anywhere further than mid screen. But you appear to be knowledgeable in g.a and I will take your word for it on the poking game.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
I'ts not good to trade oa rockets for ice arrow, green arrow has a fast dash forward and will get some hits in. on the poking game green arrow's faster so it will win + they can chain ice arrow to it getting yet another combo, air missile is good but its a block then dash in from arrow but if they are far away they can counter with a fire arrow, green arrow can poke you out of your b12(maybe even b13 haven't tested) so you don't want to do that cause you'll give him free combos. Best choice in this MU seems to be F3, preferably armored so you don't get poked out of it, and you def want to be in a stage with lots of interactables, what you want to do is end your combos with ex-lift for the reset and try to get as much damage as possible this way.. This is the only way I've managed to beat good GAs

I know that is a bad trade, but if the ice arrow hits you on landing and your air oa rocket connects, you will break free before he can dash in to combo. As for the poking game spamming b1 isn't adviceable on anyone, better off just giving an air of pressure and baiting them to mess up. Once you knock arrow down once, that should put you in great control for the rhythm of the match, which mostly depends on life lead in this case. At worse, g.l should win the chip war with trait gatlin and interact able pressure. oh well hopefully I run into that g.a on pan to blow me up so that I can make sure it doesn't happen in a tourney thanks again.