What's new

Question What does Green Lantern lose to?

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
Does he have any counters? His zoning is great. God ****ing forbid I ever jump in on him or I eat a 35+% combo off the grab into a reset. His combos are massive and lead into resets that I have to guess or I'm dead. I can't see a weakness in this character. His low starter is incredibly safe on block and has massive range. Then he pops his trait and meterburns the machine gun for retard chip damage. I can't see a weakness in this character. Enlighten me.

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
You can out zone him and I've found it hard to deal with pressure with him. Your mistake is you absolutely CANNOT jump in on him. I've beat him fairly easy with Superman. His only normal with good reach is b1. Imo that puts Aquaman at least on even footing. The thing about Green Lantern is he's not exactly a rushdown character or a pure zoner. He loses to a character that does either better.

Doctor

Noob
Green Lantern's strengths are his incredible b1 combo starter - possibly one of the best footsie tools in the game, his Lantern's Might which is a solid anti-air that (through the liberal use of meter) allows him to set-up easy stage transitions or solid 25%+ combos. His weaknesses are his embarrassingly low mobility and the punishment opportunities present in his strings.

Hal's Strings:
12 and 123 are both massively unsafe strings. 12 finishes at -17 on block, and the same window is present when you block 12 before 3 in the second string.
b12 and b13: the core of every Green Lantern player. b1 is a nasty 9 frame start-up low attack with huge range, but it's -12 on block. The problem is most people let both hits come out (the low, overhead for b12 and the low, mid -> full combo with trait for b13) and these strings are safe on block (unless the Lantern doesn't hit confirm and does b13xx4xxLM, in which case Hal is sitting at -27 point blank. b12 is honestly the easiest mix-up in the game to block so hopefully you don't get hit by it, block low and then block high in the large gap of time you have. Every time you see the b1 sneak out, you either counter-hit them with a fast normal or block high. There's no guessing game.
22, 223, and 2231 are Hal's main damaging strings for in combo, but if he uses it just as an opener (instead of his mix-ups) it's -slightly- punishable on the first hit (if you have a jab that is 8 frame or better.) but mostly you'll get hit with 223xxMG (MB). This pushes you back to a relatively neutral distance which is where Green Lantern's excellent footsie tools comes into play. You don't want to be in this range, so you'll need to either zone or mix him up.

His other strings, f2d1/f2d13/b23/b233, are all safe on block but don't leave Lantern at much advantage. Be careful with b23, if the mace doesn't swing twice Hal is at +4 on block and you can't feasibly put pressure on him.
So how do we beat the Lantern knowing this information? Crouch-blocking is godly against GL. If he can't get b1's off, then you're probably going to win. Green Lantern's wake-up game is pretty lacklustre. Stay out of his b1 range, punish with a d3 or something when he whiffs the attack, and start crossing him over and mixing him up. GL needs momentum and sucks on defense.

The green latern is really jack of all trades character but each player plays him different so you really got be looking out for what the player doing. But if looking only at GL than you gotta compare your character tools to his.

His zoning is viable by not dominating. He pretty easy to lame him out full screen or null projiectile spam by simply ducking or back dashing full screen.
From what I seen his rush game isn't that scary either since its pretty linear but you'll still want to know proper punishment(optimal damage or set ups) from his whiffed "lift"* Outside of lift the only other true threat are B or F 3's which is standard from any character. IMO

Dark_Rob

Noob
Green Lantern's strengths are his incredible b1 combo starter - possibly one of the best footsie tools in the game, his Lantern's Might which is a solid anti-air that (through the liberal use of meter) allows him to set-up easy stage transitions or solid 25%+ combos. His weaknesses are his embarrassingly low mobility and the punishment opportunities present in his strings.

Hal's Strings:
12 and 123 are both massively unsafe strings. 12 finishes at -17 on block, and the same window is present when you block 12 before 3 in the second string.
b12 and b13: the core of every Green Lantern player. b1 is a nasty 9 frame start-up low attack with huge range, but it's -12 on block. The problem is most people let both hits come out (the low, overhead for b12 and the low, mid -> full combo with trait for b13) and these strings are safe on block (unless the Lantern doesn't hit confirm and does b13xx4xxLM, in which case Hal is sitting at -27 point blank. b12 is honestly the easiest mix-up in the game to block so hopefully you don't get hit by it, block low and then block high in the large gap of time you have. Every time you see the b1 sneak out, you either counter-hit them with a fast normal or block high. There's no guessing game.
22, 223, and 2231 are Hal's main damaging strings for in combo, but if he uses it just as an opener (instead of his mix-ups) it's -slightly- punishable on the first hit (if you have a jab that is 8 frame or better.) but mostly you'll get hit with 223xxMG (MB). This pushes you back to a relatively neutral distance which is where Green Lantern's excellent footsie tools comes into play. You don't want to be in this range, so you'll need to either zone or mix him up.

His other strings, f2d1/f2d13/b23/b233, are all safe on block but don't leave Lantern at much advantage. Be careful with b23, if the mace doesn't swing twice Hal is at +4 on block and you can't feasibly put pressure on him.
So how do we beat the Lantern knowing this information? Crouch-blocking is godly against GL. If he can't get b1's off, then you're probably going to win. Green Lantern's wake-up game is pretty lacklustre. Stay out of his b1 range, punish with a d3 or something when he whiffs the attack, and start crossing him over and mixing him up. GL needs momentum and sucks on defense.
Alot of this is essentially correct. Il just add a few things. Firstly, B12 and B13 is not a mixup at all. I dont understand why I see so many Lanterns getting away with it. Moreover I dont understand why so many Lanterns use B12 at all, it doesnt lead to anything except a hard knockdown and Lantern has better ways to get that. Block low for the B1 and block high for the follow up, whether its 2 or 3 a high block will block them both so there is no mixup there at all.
The only way to get a mixup is to do B1 and then do B1 again when they block high for the followup. But as was pointed out above B1 by itself is pretty negative on block so its not the kind of thing I would try unless I already knew my opponent was conditioned to block high for B12 and B13

The main things you have to look out for against Green Lantern are:

B12/B13 As I already said B12 is pretty useless for anything other than conditioning GLs opponent to block high after B1.
B13 however is one of the best whiff punishers in the game, right up there with Supermans F23. Its a launcher that can be hit confirmed and gives GL enough time to activate his trait and still cancel into Lanterns might for a full combo. B1 is also a fast advancing low that covers more distance than you think it does because it has a bit of a phantom hitbox(that is the hitbox for B1 actually extends a little past his foot so he can hit you with it even if his foot doesnt visually touch your character, stupid I know lol)

2,2,3. This is Green Lanterns main block string. It comes out only one frame slower than B1 but is easier on the hitconfirms because its 3 hits. All 3 hits are mid and its safe on block at only -1. On block GL can cancel into minigun to gain some distance from his opponent and due to the pushback from minigun its relatively safe to do so. Some fast advancing specials and supers can punish this though as minigun is like -26 on block.

F3 His standing flip kick is a really fast overhead and GL has lots of ways to be in your face after a hard knockdown and forcing you to guess between his F3 overhead and B1 low. This is the core of GLs mixup game and he has some dirty ways of setting it up. The one Im most fond of is after a MB Lanterns might, GL can dash early to go under his opponent and cross up their block, or dash late to stay on the same side. Both options leave GL right in front of his opponent at stupid advantage. In this situation the B1 is the biggest threat because if done correctly it will hit just as Gl's opponent is hitting the ground effectively teching them up instantly(Its essentially an OTG). If done right B1 will stuff wakeup attacks and backdashes so the only real choice the opponent has is to block B1. This of course opens up the F3 overhead. And while you can wakeup and backdash away from F3, the threat from B1 makes it just to risky. So GL can just go ham on the B1 or F3 mixup. You can fuzzy guard B1 or F3(if your REO and have his kind of reactions) but GL can just delay the B1 and get you when you go to block F3 so the mixup is still there.

Air Oa's rocket. It hits overhead. You have to stand block it. I cant tell you how much damage I get off people just because they keep getting peppered by these trying to duck it or crouch block it.

MB Oa's rocket. You have to be careful when blocking OAs rocket when GL has meter because he has alot of time to meter burn it even after its hit or been blocked by an opponent. From anywhere other than full screen GL can hit B13 as they are coming down and get a full combo. So always be on the lookout for the random meterburn when GL is flinging rockets at you.

Lanterns might. Its inevitable, at some point your going for a ride on the Lanterns might express. This move is like Ermacs push and lift combined into one salt inducing move. Its pretty safe from range so expect to be checked with it alot. It is full combo punished up close but even so Lanterns will YOLO lift even if your in their face so you pretty much have to be looking for it all the freaking time. One thing you need to understand about this move is the hitbox. It has amazing horizontal range, much like Ermacs push. Ive seen it hit as far away as 2/3 screen and even Ive said"I cant believe that hit lol" a time or two. But the vertical range is not that great when your in close to GL. Crossup jump attacks will almost always stuff it and even some normal jumpins will stuff it before it comes out.
You have to play patient against a Lanterns might abusing Lantern and just let them dig their own grave and punish it once your close enough.

The best way to put Lantern in situations he doesnt want to be in is to knock him down, preferably in the corner. Lanterns wakeup options are meh and in the corner backdashing wont save him so you can pour on the pressure. Lantern doesnt like being pressured and he sees a shrink once a week whos helping him to better deal with the pressure in his life, but I digress.

Hopefully some of this helps.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I'm pretty sure you can poke out of B1, or at least parry.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I am pretty sure the frame data regarding minigun is wrong. I think minigun is a lot safer than shown there because I have been unable to punish it with Superman's f23 which may be because I am not judging the sweep of the minigun correctly but it seems like every time I try to react that little bit quicker, I get hit by the end of the sweep. Either way, it's tough to punish minigun because of how long the damn sweep seems to stay on the screen lol.

I'll give some reasons for why i think Green lantern is not quite as good as people think he is at the moment (which is not to say he's bad or not top tier), but he's definitely not this broken, mindless character people seem to think he is. So here are some weaknesses from a GL's point of view as I played nothing but green lantern for a good week or so after I got the game and while I can't really comment on too many matchups, I feel I can say a little bit about his overall weaknesses.

Firstly, if you take Green Lantern into the lab and start messing around with him, the first thing you're going to notice is his incredibly clunky dash. Green Lantern's dash must be one of the absolute worst in the game, and because of this he has a horrible time trying to backdash things other characters can backdash out of with ease. This exposes Green lantern to a tonne of pressure against people who can get in (Batman, Doomsday, etc). Once you're inside Green lantern's most viable defense is mb f3 (which is an incredible defense mechanism). Lift, while coming out at 10 frames is super punishable on block and not recommended here. F3, while outstanding imo, is easily baited due to its short range. f3 will blow up any sort of mindless pressure, but smart players will take a small backstep every now and then with a shot at whiff punishing this move, comboing GL and then putting him right back in the grinder afterwards.

GL's poor dash also hampers his ability to get around basic zoning by some of the better zoners in the game (Sinestro, Cyborg, Deathstroke and even Superman, imo) and everybody I am mentioning in brackets is, without being able to attribute a number so early, a "difficult" matchup for Green lantern, so that's 6 so far. Turbine is NOT an option to gap close for Green lantern in any of these matchups. Turbine cannot be done anywhere other than fullscreen, and turbine is handing massive advantage to your opponent even if you get it off through the obstacle course of projectiles. Go ahead, desperation turbine right into me, and get blown up by Supe's f23 or immediately locked down in breath pressure.

So, there are two places on the screen you can fight Green lantern from: up close or from 3/4 to fullscreen. Green Lantern has some of the better footsies in the game thanks to b1, lift and the space control of minigun which all aid in covering the hole left behind by his terrible dash. Solution: fight him outside of his optimal zone and you will start to see results. MB oa rockets are probably his best and most threatening projectiles but, guess what, he cannot MB them against any of the game's best zoners because he's always making losing trades if he goes for grounded oa rockets.

GL is a good character, but I actually think he's got very real weaknesses which, with time, much more of the cast are going to start exposing. Good luck, Green Lanterns.

Oh, Pig of the hut posted a video of him backdashing between b1 and either follow up and full combo punishing the second part of the string. GL's will have to start using b1 minigun to poke with in future.

DreadzTsung

"Darkness is the heart's true essence"
Does he have any counters? His zoning is great. God ****ing forbid I ever jump in on him or I eat a 35+% combo off the grab into a reset. His combos are massive and lead into resets that I have to guess or I'm dead. I can't see a weakness in this character. His low starter is incredibly safe on block and has massive range. Then he pops his trait and meterburns the machine gun for retard chip damage. I can't see a weakness in this character. Enlighten me.
If you manage to zone him successfully he is fucked. He can't do shit. Deathstroke works well against GL but to have to play smart. My friend plays DS and I work in well with Green Lantern as in getting in past zoners. Deathstroke gives Lantern hell with his zoning. But i usually get in on Deathstroke well with Lantern's b13/b12 50/50 mixups when close enough. Green Lantern is one of my mains. :)

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
If you manage to zone him successfully he is fucked. He can't do shit. Deathstroke works well against GL but to have to play smart. My friend plays DS and I work in well with Green Lantern as in getting in past zoners. Deathstroke gives Lantern hell with his zoning. But i usually get in on Deathstroke well with Lantern's b13/b12 50/50 mixups when close enough. Green Lantern is one of my mains. :)

GL has no 50/50 mixup. Block low then high against GL. The low is 9 frames, the overhead f3 is 18. B12 and b13 can both be blocked going from low to high.

DreadzTsung

"Darkness is the heart's true essence"
GL has no 50/50 mixup. Block low then high against GL. The low is 9 frames, the overhead f3 is 18. B12 and b13 can both be blocked going from low to high.
Well the guide said he has one. I thought that was it. Excuse me for being wrong......Damn.

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
Raven does very well against GL. If he does anything in the air she can Soul Crush him on the way down. If he uses his special that moves him across the screen in the air she can slam him for a full combo. And his dash is terrible so she can zone him out pretty well. F222 slam will also easily punish a blocked lift for a 40%+ combo.

This may be too early, but i'm honestly starting to wonder how long GL will be considered upper tier for. His game seems so linear, and once players start blocking, or even in Flash's case punishing B13 it may be ggs after that. His best move aside from LM is F3 imo.
Thank the Guardians (those evil trolls) for F3. That will be GL's saving grace in the long run.

Keep in mind this is coming from a player that typically likes zoning characters that also have decent pressure. For me zoning with GL is just frustrating. I'm just not good enough to space out his zoning tools properly.

@OP Green Lantern loses to players who can punish his risks and win projectile trades. Right now a lot of people are not playing smart so GL (and well all characters with risky approaches) is getting away with it. IMO there will come a point where in a lot of matchups GL players are going to have to be super risky and creative to generate real offense without relying on an opponents mistake. The only real exception being his b1 open up, which as the game evolves may be what he cancels directly into Gatling Gun on block to avoid getting string punished.

This may be too early, but i'm honestly starting to wonder how long GL will be considered upper tier for. His game seems so linear, and once players start blocking, or even in Flash's case punishing B13 it may be ggs after that. His best move aside from LM is F3 imo.
Thank the Guardians (those evil trolls) for F3. That will be GL's saving grace in the long run.

Keep in mind this is coming from a player that typically likes zoning characters that also have decent pressure. For me zoning with GL is just frustrating. I'm just not good enough to space out his zoning tools properly.
I think he will be viable for some time, but I feel there will be less and less Lanterns going forward as the game evolves. He is a really easy to use character with solid and easily confirmable punishes that destroys noobs online so I expect to see a ton online but not as many at tournaments as we saw when the game first dropped.

Reactions: SLy

chores

bad at things

I think people are evolving against b13 faster than most other moves because it is such a good normal. If you picked up the game today and starting playing against GL your learning order would be 1) respect lift 2) dont get hit by b13. It seems like people are reacting to it more and more because they have to. It's the same with deathstrokes guns/dd splash/kf slide. It's one of those moves that you can't afford to not learn, otherwise you would be losing to it constantly because its so good and leads to full combos.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Salv highlighted everything to perfection, and it's something I recognized was a problem from the moment I saw his dash in previews.

Sinestro isn't a hard matchup, though.

Ugh. I would like to give extensive detail as to why gl is still a balanced character but considering I just started the game with like an 83%win ratio (11% lost to ragequits), I suppose he is pretty evil online. G.l has an answer for basically every character and has a ton of resets. His only bad matchups right now is unpatched cyborg, turtling batman, and surprisingly Harley Quinn with life lead. Aside that tech chase reset means can 100% on two bad guesses and 2 meter. Not fun for others to deal with and its pretty easy to do.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I love playing Green Lantern. I definitely feel like he's balanced and although he has problems against zoners, one wrong move against GL will cause you to ride the Lantern's Might train. Is his Rocket Power still +20?