What's new

What do you think MK12 should play like?

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
There’s a new rumor that MK12 will just be a greatest hits collection of the past three games rolled into one, announced at The Game Awards. IDK if a story mode would just be scrapped then or what. It shouldn’t be called MK12 though. More like a new MK Trilogy or Gold.

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert
Interesting... Where did this rumor pop up?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Couple thoughts -

On one hand: modern NRS obviously cares about 'prestige' so a greatest hits game doesn't seem like their style.

On the other hand: COVID and possibly being sold happened. This rumor lines up with Jeff Grubb's statement that they were fast tracking MK12 due to a fear of being sold.

Last edited:
There’s a new rumor that MK12 will just be a greatest hits collection of the past three games rolled into one, announced at The Game Awards. IDK if a story mode would just be scrapped then or what. It shouldn’t be called MK12 though. More like a new MK Trilogy or Gold.
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon is still Mortal Kombat 7 despite being a greatest hits of MK5 and MK6, Story was different though.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy and MK Gold was same story as MK3 and MK4 respectively.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I mean the timeline works out to their typical releases
Mk1,2,3(umk3), trilogy
Mk4 (gold), DA, D, A
Mk9, X (XL), 11,....'Trinity'

We'll see soon though. I'm looking forward to an NRS announcement. Whatever it may end up being.

That being said. I want 12 to play like mk9 without the broke.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Interesting... Where did this rumor pop up?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Couple thoughts -

On one hand: modern NRS obviously cares about 'prestige' so a greatest hits game doesn't seem like their style.

On the other hand: COVID and possibly being sold happened. This rumor lines up with Jeff Grubb's statement that they were fast tracking MK12 due to a fear of being sold.
Is this the rumor?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mortalkombatleaks/comments/r92ex6

Interesting...

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Look MK11.... is not my cup of tea.

HOWEVER, it's not unsalvageable.

I did like the pace of the game, it just needed to open up the combo routes, it needed more variety and some crazy let back in.

Adjust the meter, Krushing Blows look fucking cool, just adjust a lot of them so there less stupid.

Nerf Fatal blow, make the animations shorter ( But longer if they kill and lead to a fatality to keep best of both worlds).

CHANGE WAKE UPS.

Probably like a million other things that I'm forgetting.

I wanted them to shake things up with MK12, but on the other hand bring everyone back for a celebration game is also pretty cool.

IDK man, stay positive kids.

I like the idea of using MK11 as the base. Still one of the best looking fighters out there and has a strong base to work from. Tweak some of the things that people have complained about since forever, addition of new characters from MK9/X adds some variety to those who think MK11 is stale, some changes to the fight mechanics and there you go - The ultimate MK game.

I hope they do go down this track; there's too much that MK11 does well in it's aesthetics and throwbacks to the past to let it be forgotten. The only concern is the alleged 50 characters which could lead to a bit of duplication of moves and/or lack of attention to them. And who knows where the story goes from there.,

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Just adding run to base MK11 would help solve a lot.

add a real meter system
REMOVE BREAKAWAY AND PUT IN NORMAL COMBO BREAKER

Kill variations and give everyone a greatest hits of their overall moveset from MK11 so you have much more dynamic and interesting characters.

also buff everyone I like nerf everyone I hate

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Look MK11.... is not my cup of tea.

HOWEVER, it's not unsalvageable.

I did like the pace of the game, it just needed to open up the combo routes, it needed more variety and some crazy let back in.

Adjust the meter, Krushing Blows look fucking cool, just adjust a lot of them so there less stupid.

Nerf Fatal blow, make the animations shorter ( But longer if they kill and lead to a fatality to keep best of both worlds).

CHANGE WAKE UPS.

Probably like a million other things that I'm forgetting.

I wanted them to shake things up with MK12, but on the other hand bring everyone back for a celebration game is also pretty cool.

IDK man, stay positive kids.
You claim that the game is salvageable, yet you want to change one million things. LOL. Those two statements are at odds with one another.

If the rumors end up being accurate, the decision to mold Mortal Kombat 12 in Mortal Kombat 11's image has been entirely influenced by sales, not by constructive player feedback.

CEO has proven that Mortal Kombat 11 is a gameplay catastrophe. Name me another modern fighting game for which five of its formerly best players have quit playing. King, who was arguably at CEO just to sip, told me that Ninja Killa was present but refused to participate because he dislikes the game. LOL. Imagine Daigo, Problem X, Punk, Tokido, etc. showing up to a live event and not signing up to play Street Fighter 5. Inconceivable.

Mortal Kombat 12 should play more like Mortal Kombat 10 in terms of the pace, meter system, breaker function. The main issue with Mortal Kombat 10 is that offense is too oppressive, but the new game could be designed to have a better balance between offense and defense, rush down and zoning, and aggression and turtling.

Aside from the variation system which should be wiped cleanly and flushed down the toilet, I agree with Rooflemonger that the inclusion of the running mechanic is key. Running really gives Mortal Kombat the pace that it is known for and also supports the rush down that most players want to play. I would also argue that running makes zoning characters better too because you can have strong zoning characters in a game that has strong movement options.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Although I’m certain there will be a reveal trailer at The Game Awards, it may not be clear exactly what the game is. We know that their reveal trailers are always CGI, and tend to raise more questions than answers.
I guess we will have something to talk about in a couple of days…

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Does anyone think MK12 could benefit from adopting some kind of Trait system, similar to Injustice 2?

I'm not too interested in having MKX again only with 50 Characters. That's a lot of system tearout when the whole idea is having a roster like this rumored MK made possible because of reusing assets from MK11.

-Don't Introduce Breaker unless you plan to add a third bar of meter. You would also have to rebalance the current armor breakers that are good to still be useful in your new Breaker world. If you can't do all that work in a base roster of 50, don't bother with Breakers. My personal opinion is both systems suck in different ways and can sometimes benefit the opponent when they're the ones who got hit. You should eat the combo.

-So Instead keep breakaway but scrap the useless armor breakers among the cast for good ones like Kabal, Baraka, Kollector, Kano. Everyone should have breakers that don't just make you think twice about breaking but FEAR the idea of eating more damage on top of having no meter left. How many times did we see people respect Kabal's combos at CEO simply because they didn't want to eat the KB and lose the game?

-I'm not interested in Run coming back, but some characters in 11 being faster than others is a total crock, Everyone not leaping all over the place like Jacqui, Kabal and occasionally Kitana should have the same movement Kotal, Mileena, Rain and Fujin get to have. Making it a standard across the board makes the overall game faster.

-I'd keep the automatic meter. I don't care about your meter build dreams in a game with 2 bars of meter over 3, I'm sorry but I don't.

-Remove wakeup u2s (keep them as flawless block attacks), keep wakeup u3s but do something about forward roll... perhaps have throw KBs work on getting grabbed out of your roll? I dunno but you need to have something to put fear in players who will easily roll their way out of a bad situation.

-Fix the slowdown of the Finish Him screen, this is a minor issue but it kills the ability to end the match on a swaggy combo ending in brutality

So yeah that's how I'd go about it. And while I think the idea of making it MKX but hueg roster is pretty disastrous, I'd still happily take it over any Injustice 3.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
That sounds awful. MK11 left such a bad taste in my mouth that the last thing I want is another MK game modeled after it that I’m stuck with for 4+ years.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Does anyone think MK12 could benefit from adopting some kind of Trait system, similar to Injustice 2?
I would be for it. A major complaint about MK11 is that all the characters' playstyles are too similar, so that could help differentiate them from one another. I don't believe adding traits would make it feel more like Injustice whatsoever. If they wanted to ensure it felt like MK11, they could offer you 10 choices for your character trait, with one obvious optimal option and 9 useless ones!

If characters play too similarly, the answer isn't copy injustice. It's an mk11 problem. Either way these leaks sound real good and I'm ready for mk11 to just be shitted on and bring the fun back to mk

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I would be for it. A major complaint about MK11 is that all the characters' playstyles are too similar, so that could help differentiate them from one another. I don't believe adding traits would make it feel more like Injustice whatsoever.
I started randomly checking out Blazblue the past couple weeks, and I'm really intrigued by their Drive system. Just their character design and gameplay mechanics in general, really. Pretty much every character has a unique mechanic or attack. It really does make characters feel more unique, even if they're the same archetype. That's what really got me thinking about something new to try with MK12.

BTW, sounds like now is actually a decent time to pick up Blazblue on PC. Big sale going on, and they're working on implementing rollback netcode.

ConeOnBricks

Chronic F2 Abuser
If the rumors end up true and MK12 plays like MK11, I would really prefer they tweak the current “comeback” mechanic. Honestly, I think Fatal Blows are a cool idea and have some potential but they absolutely do NOT function fairly as a comeback mechanic. Like why does a Fatal Blow proc at 30% health when that might not even be a comeback in the context of both kombatant’s health? I mean how is it fair that someone like Baraka or Shao has to play so much more carefully than someone like Erron or Geras when both are under 30%? Damn bro what a hype comeback you just pressed fatal in neutral and the other player is dead for trying to make their way in. I could forgive the absurd pushback and fatal blow regen if it was actually a comeback mechanic. I think the easy fix would be to just change it so that fatal procs when one player has lost 30% more of their health bar than their opponent. This would also make people have to think more when using their fatal cause they would need to plan ahead where in their combo they could use their fatal before the health values become too close to one another and they no longer have access to it. Additionally, I think it would alleviate complaints about having to watch cinematics over and over again because theoretically close competitive matches would lessen the opportunities for fatals.

Nulak

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nulak
My ex MK girlfriend tells me MK12 is in fact a beat' them up where Kobra is the main character.
The plot: Kobra Mexican wife got shot by some crackhead in San Fierro. Time for revenge."

Feature: All moves on Kooldown
Platform: Iphone12 & 13 and stadia.