What's new

What do you LIKE about MK11?

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
i really like the visuals and content of mk11. game looks amazing and after the ultimate update the roster is pretty solid. Mileena being added was nice. i like the neutral and pace of the game, lack of high damage 50/50's and mixups in general. flawless block is pretty cool but has flaws that need to be addressed. i got pages to say about this game but the topic title is only about what i like about the game. :laughing:

I like the features of the game that lots of others don't like because I'm relatively new to fighting games. I've played them since I was a little kid, but MK11 was the first fighting game that I took somewhat seriously. Before MK11, I was the type of player that didn't know anything about frame data because it intimidated me. For me, a game that had a phenomenal tutorial and practice mode, along with characters that have pretty easy execution and limited combo paths meant that I could engage with the mind games that other people like about fighting games, but with a lower cost to entry in terms of execution and frame data knowledge. I'm also in my 30s with a full time job and other games that battle for my attention, so I don't have time to sit in the lab all day to play a new character serviceably.

Lots of people here hate MK11 because they think it's boring. I can definitely understand that if you're a great player that puts a lot of value on long combos that are difficult to pull off and different ways of expressing your creativity as a player. But you have to understand that people just getting into fighting games are scared shitless of that stuff. Or they don't want to dump hours upon hours into a game just to be able to have an engaging match where they don't get immediately stomped.

I also love the presentation and graphics and all that shit, but I don't think that's very controversial.

honestly, this far into the game's life i don't even know anymore. the graphics are really good. the story is alright (I think mk9 and mkx's were better). i like how you can customize multiple intros and outros. krypt was fun for like the first few trips. really just things that aren't the gameplay at the moment. and scorpion because if he weren't in it, I wouldn't be here.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Aesthetics it's definitely something i do love about MK11 in all aspects.
The face models are the best I've ever seen.
The krypt is very cool, and I can see this evolving into a new IP if they want to make something different from fighting games.
Nathan Grigg's music
Stages are very beautiful, and everything feels like natural.

anything visual in this game feels like they grabbed a material and put on a 3D scan and put into the game.

I like the flawless block mechanic, I just think some of its things should've been already addressed, but i think it's a keeper.
The battle results analytics it's also great and gives you data on your opponents.
I like Kombat League.
I like the netcode
And two of the things I do enjoy, mostly because i feel like I was part of it, it's the tutorial mode and the training mode, I kept talking about it and tagging paulo, steph to my threads about some features they could add in their future games and to think that they took that very seriously and actually added both with many things I was wishing them to add it's just makes me feel overjoyed.

I may not like MK11 in general, but I can't deny this is the best training mode and tutorial mode for a fighting game since virtua fighter, I could only wish the game was just as good, but I still have hopes.
Tutorial mode was great but the training mode frustrated me to be honest. Now it's a bit different but I couldn't understand why the variations in training mode were different to the ones in competitive mode. The fact that you had to go in and make the competitive variations before you could lab annoyed me. Not a huge deal but I didn't like it.

DeftMonk

Noob
Tutorial mode was great but the training mode frustrated me to be honest. Now it's a bit different but I couldn't understand why the variations in training mode were different to the ones in competitive mode. The fact that you had to go in and make the competitive variations before you could lab annoyed me. Not a huge deal but I didn't like it.
That was a very questionable design decision.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
That was a very questionable design decision.
Yeah as petty as it sounds it's one of the main things that put me off. Would get beaten up in kl, remembered the variation that beat me , take myself into the lab to not be able to find the variation.

DeftMonk

Noob
Yeah as petty as it sounds it's one of the main things that put me off. Would get beaten up in kl, remembered the variation that beat me , take myself into the lab to not be able to find the variation.
I think it’s just evidence they intended customs to be available out of the gate then at the last minute panicked and did away with that. But back to the topic: I like that they added customs.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
T
They forgot to add the main variations in training mode
Or they didn't intend to have variations in first place.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Way too many people in this thread stating how “keep away” characters are made fair because of the new meter system.

You chase Cetrion back and forth across the screen, you finally hit her and she breaks away. Luckily, she doesn’t even have to build the meter back while you chase her, she just gets it for free. But keep away characters have been tamed, lol.

Parasurama

Dragon
Let's try something a little different here. Even if you're one of those users who for some reason hates MK11 but spends all day on an NRS fan site, there's gotta be something that keeps bringing you back. So what is it? If they completely remade MK11 from scratch, is there anything you would want them to keep?

For me, they put RoboCop in the game, so I will always have a soft spot for MK11, even if he doesn't play how I would like.

For mechanics, I do like that meter is not tied to any other mechanic (though I'll acknowledge there are plenty of great arguments against this). NRS has proven they're not the greatest at balancing meter-management between characters, so taking that issue out of the equation was a good call, I think. I played Cheetah in Injustice 2, and it was almost impossible to ever build meter against characters like Batman, all while they're constantly building it back almost as quickly as they can spend it.

So, how about you? What do you LIKE about MK11?
The movement, block dashing or wavedashing,

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Way too many people in this thread stating how “keep away” characters are made fair because of the new meter system.

You chase Cetrion back and forth across the screen, you finally hit her and she breaks away. Luckily, she doesn’t even have to build the meter back while you chase her, she just gets it for free. But keep away characters have been tamed, lol.
That's only looking at it from one side. Here's the yin to that yang: as the offensive player, you spend all day trying to chase Cetrion. You can't build any meter while she builds it faster than she can use it. So now, rather than both of you having "free" meter, she has essentially an endless supply while you have no opportunity to build it.

To me, that alternative is far less desirable than what we have in MK11.

Afumba

Noob
It looks pretty and i love MK. I keep coming back cuz there is no other MK atm and i also hope for a suprise moment one day where NRS actually changed something i dispise and i can go like "wohoo they really did that".

Privately i bash the game and NRS alot cuz their is lots of stuff i dislike about the game. I still like the game, just dont love it but want to cuz its MK. Which is also why i cant stick with it for long periods cuz i get really bothered by the things i dislike and due to that hinder my enjoyment and that of others.

Honestly though if i knew MK12 would be around the corner (or MK9 remake) i would deinstall the game immediately and rather wait for that.

P.S. funny enough the mechanic you like is one of the things i dislike most. Meter! Auto meter and 4 split bars... terrible.

Last edited:

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
--The tutorial features in this game are world-class. All other fighting game devs should take note.

--Still being the only fighting game dev that has in-game frame data in 2021 is both great and ludicrous. Never change this, NRS.

--Character design in this game is a mixed bag, with the low points being most of the original cast. However, imo they are generally killing it with the DLC, especially the guest characters. I know a lot of people can't stand guest characters, but they are consistently my favorites as I feel like they allow NRS the most creative freedom without being constrained by the expectations the fanbase has of the original cast.

--The netcode is still best-in-industry.

--The story mode content is impressively produced and fun.

--The training lab is generally great. Continued feature adds 1+ year into the game is a bonus.

--Opening up Kustoms was ballsy and brilliant. I actually bought Aftermath almost immediately after that patch after months of holding off because I wasn't feeling confident about the direction of the game. Following that up with months of radio silence about the direction of the game, however... not so much.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.

Why is nobody talking about that Cetrion is a run away character that ALSO has godlike rushdown? If she was absolute garbage up close it'd be fine but she mixes you to death up close.

DeftMonk

Noob
Why is nobody talking about that Cetrion is a run away character that ALSO has godlike rushdown? If she was absolute garbage up close it'd be fine but she mixes you to death up close.
Bro I think Robocop was trying to bring some positive vibes in with this thread lol. Cmon Cherney you literally have every other thread on the site to complain about how you are still investing so much time into something u hate.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Chernyy Volk It's not enough to come to a fan site and bash the game, but now you've gotta post in the one thread dedicated to things people like about the game? There are so many other threads you can complain in. Sheeva stomp is still a problem and we have several threads about it you can post in. I hear Scorpion is still utterly unbeatable for many players; find one of those threads and go ham. Or find a hobby you actually enjoy? That would be my advice, rather than actively trying to diminish other players' enjoyment of the game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Under the old meter system she'd still always have meter to break when you got in, but you wouldn't if you were getting in on her.

At least, she'd likely always have more than you and be closer to another breaker than you are.