What's new

What do you expect to see in MK9's evolution in 2-3 years?

kabal will get better (people will begin to abuse his spacing and zoning at a higher level)
reptile will get better(people will begin to abuse his spacing and zoning at a higher level)
kenshi wil have 2-3 losing matchups and they will realize he beats raiden and smoke
freddy will get better
cage will not be considered top 10 by anyone

the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.
people will (and are) start doing things like pokes into armored moves and more whiff punishment setups

Off topic....why do people refer to 6-4 as a "bad" matchup? That's just a match up...7-3 is bad.
6-4 (in favor, good, favorable advantageous)
5-5 (neutral, even, equal)
4-6(not in favor, disadvantageous, bad)

4-6 could be one of 3 things, it could mean good, neutral or bad... it i wouldnt call it neutral or good so thus i call it bad.

you are wrong

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You don't struggle when the matchup is 4-6. 3-7 is when shit gets rough.

kabal will get better (people will begin to abuse his spacing and zoning at a higher level)
reptile will get better(people will begin to abuse his spacing and zoning at a higher level)
kenshi wil have 2-3 losing matchups and they will realize he beats raiden and smoke
freddy will get better
cage will not be considered top 10 by anyone

the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.
people will (and are) start doing things like pokes into armored moves and more whiff punishment setups
I can see Cage possibly dropping a few spots but I think he'll stay in the top 10. Right now I see him in the 7-8 range but can see him going down to 9-10. He has the tools to play a heavy footsies and whiff punishment game, on top of arguably the best pressure in the game. Although the fact that Kenshi is in the game does hurt him... This is Cage's biggest weakness in tournament by far.

6-4 (in favor, good, favorable advantageous)
5-5 (neutral, even, equal)
4-6(not in favor, disadvantageous, bad)

4-6 could be one of 3 things, it could mean good, neutral or bad... it i wouldnt call it neutral or good so thus i call it bad.

you are wrong
Haha ok man. There is a difference between "bad" and "disadvantage"....but I guess I'm wrong.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
-I seriously and honestly think that as the anti-Cyrax tech develops, he will be considered top 10 but not top 5. Still good, but not the ridiculous killing machine people think he is.

-Kenshi will cement his place as 2nd and Lao will be considered 3rd.

-When more work is put into Reptile, I think he has the ability to jump into solid top 10 and maybe even become a go-to anti-Kabal character

SLy

Noob
Haha ok man. There is a difference between "bad" and "disadvantage"....but I guess I'm wrong.
No. You had it right the first time.

Just because its at a slight character disadvantage doesn't mean its a bad matchup. The term "Bad" is more player oriented than anything.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
A 4-6, if reduced by 2, becomes a 2-3, which in a 3 out of 5 is always a losing MU, if played perfectly by both sides.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Look at it like this...at any point at the start of a 10-match series of a 4-6 matchup, the player with the disadvantage could go up 2 or 3 games straight or take up that many matches early on, only to lose in the end 4-6.

This is why it's called a slight disadvantage. There's a better opportunity for the advantage character to win, but it's by no means something the disadvantage character struggled to do anything in. You can even go as far as saying basically 8-2 is when it's bad.

Look at it like this...at any point at the start of a 10-match series of a 4-6 matchup, the player with the disadvantage could go up 2 or 3 games straight or take up that many matches early on, only to lose in the end 4-6.

This is why it's called a slight disadvantage. There's a better opportunity for the advantage character to win, but it's by no means something the disadvantage character struggled to do anything in. You can even go as far as saying basically 8-2 is when it's bad.
This is exactly right. "Bad" is an extreme term.

I can see Cage possibly dropping a few spots but I think he'll stay in the top 10. Right now I see him in the 7-8 range but can see him going down to 9-10. He has the tools to play a heavy footsies and whiff punishment game, on top of arguably the best pressure in the game. Although the fact that Kenshi is in the game does hurt him... This is Cage's biggest weakness in tournament by far.
Stolen from Anti-Static
top 6
lao
sonya
kabal
kenshi
freddy
cyrax
7-10
smoke
skarlet
reptile
kitana
11-15
liu
cage
sektor
shang
jax

best i see him doing is 10 but i thik liu / sektor might surpass him.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This is exactly right. "Bad" is an extreme term.
No its not. If something tastes bad it doesnt mean that it is the worst tasting food in the world, it may just mean I dont like it. MUs have always been designated as Good, Bad, Even. That doesnt mean that good matchups are free wins, or bad matchups are insurmountable.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
It's already been proven that 2NDC is not a block infinite due to doing it at the earliest frame causes 2 to whiff. Most characters can duck under 2 after this if delayed.

This is oddly one of the instances where MK9's wacky hitboxes helps.
It is true that you can only do the block infinite for like 3-4 repetitions before it starts whiffing over the opponent's crouch block, usually the fourth 2~NDC will whiff over the opponent's head. But that is not even a problem at all. Imagine this:

2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC B12~EX NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC B12~EX NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC B12~EX NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC than and so on and so forth.

All of that IS NOT avoidable by crouch blocking if you are a big hitbox character and gives so much advantage that you have to block Kabal's next move. B12~EX NDC is +7 on block and 2~NDC is +9 on block. Also he has an overhead hookswords or low buzz saw that he can mix in at any desirable moment. He can also just throw in a couple B1~NDC, it is only +1 on block but it is extremely fast and hard to react to. Alot of his dash cancels force you to block his next move, so he could easily grab you during his frame trap pressure. Not even to mention he can just cancel his Nomad Dash into an instant air gas blast and just start zoning you whenver he feels like it. Kabal has the most options in so many situations out of any character in the game

It is true that you can only do the block infinite for like 3-4 repetitions before it starts whiffing over the opponent's crouch block, usually the fourth 2~NDC will whiff over the opponent's head. But that is not even a problem at all. Imagine this:

2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC B12~EX NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC B12~EX NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC B12~EX NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC 2~NDC than and so on and so forth.

All of that IS NOT avoidable by crouch blocking if you are a big hitbox character and gives so much advantage that you have to block Kabal's next move. B12~EX NDC is +7 on block and 2~NDC is +9 on block. Also he has an overhead hookswords or low buzz saw that he can mix in at any desirable moment. He can also just throw in a couple B1~NDC, it is only +1 on block but it is extremely fast and hard to react to. Alot of his dash cancels force you to block his next move, so he could easily grab you during his frame trap pressure. Not even to mention he can just cancel his Nomad Dash into an instant air gas blast and just start zoning you whenver he feels like it. Kabal has the most options in so many situations out of any character in the game
Stop posting things relevant to the topic and start picking apart the perceptions of what "good" or "bad" matchup means.

D

Deleted member 9158

I agree on Quan Chi. He's already becoming less meter dependent. F1 2 is good for punishing pokes when you bait them. Knowing your trance distance becomes more and more important in many matchups. 1 1 2 is really good. We have high damage no meter combos from every starter. It's not all rune trap.
It's going to be up to us Quan-chi players to work on developing the character beyond the Rune trap. I think the right step would be to incorporate his EX rune into mix ups. But of course, saving the rune trap for when you need to make a huge comeback to win.

D

Deleted member 9158

The way I see it, rune trap will drop down to a 1-rep into post-RT mixup. I also can see his counter zoning game becoming a lot more talked about. Trance is the gayest trade in the game. It is essentially a slower EX freeze with less range that's still useable.

STB CharlieMurphy I think Kitana suffers too much from not having a non-poke option that hits crouching opponents at a decent speed. I do think her footsies game will flesh out to be even more retarded than it already is, but I can see her either retaining her current position or dropping in favor of more characters capable of abusing the poking game harder.
I love it when people don't respect the trance, start jumping towards me and get AA'd by it. Seems to me, a lot of people don't understand it's range and it's hitbox.

In 2 - 3 years someone who made a suggestion before and got flamed for it will do good at a tournament. Then they will re-post the exact same thoughts and suddenly everyone agrees with them now.

Oh wait that's happened before.