What's new

What characters do you feel are overly exaggerated with how bad they are as characters?

What I've seen & played: Really good combo potential, Long advancing Normals, good D2, really good KB damage follow ups(can get 500 damage), Good grab potential, can hold his own against zoners, good specials

Do you play Shao Kahn? He's not good. He's fun but he's not good. You list that he has "good grab potential" which is confusing as hell to me because he doesn't have a command grab so his grab potential is exactly the same as everyone else. Also his forward throw takes opponents outside of oki range.

Long advancing normals? You mean f212 which is slow as hell and starts with a high and is full combo punishable or b3 which is a mid that is significantly shorter and full combo punishable?

Do you mean f34 which cashes out a cool 19% if you finish the string but is also full combo punishable on block?

Good krushing blow damage? You mean his universal d2 right? Because i don't think that you mean his f34 1+3 crush which requires you to use ridicule which is full combo punishable on reaction off any set up.

Do you mean his 12 1+3 crush which requires you to land 3 spears (i suppose your opponent must be sleeping)

Do you mean his Annihilation crush which requires Dark Priest to be active which is only safe off a couple of set ups against some characters without full screen checks?

Or his grab crush which is only on forward throw and only on reversal or get up?

"Can hold his own against zoners"- Is there a character in this game that can't? Pure projectile zoning is not that strong. His counter zone options are db4 or bf1. The spear is hella slow. Db4 is good though.

His damage might be nice with these but he has very few useful ones.

Specials:
Shoulder- full combo punishable on block
Annihilation- full combo punishable on block
Spear- punishable on block, whiffs most characters midscreen, completely whiffs STANDING opponents close range.

Dark Priest and Ridicule- full combo punishable on reaction

Hammer lunge: fine, this move is good and has its uses. -7 and you can choose to amplify or not.

Upward hammer- d2 punishable on reaction. Unfavorable trade except if your opponent has 5% life.

He's risky risky risky. Can you hitconfirm b2 staggers? No. You commit to an unsafe special or lose your turn.

Can you win with him? Of course. Is it as easy as it is with other characters? Hell no.

I DO play shao khan and he is not that bad, definitely better than frost / kotal tier.

Yes, his buffs are useless, and f21 kinda. You need to play around d4, f4 and shoulder charge, which can be used to punish a lot of stuff on reversal. Once you condition your opponent to respect it, f21 becomes available. D2 and b4 in neutral is totally legit. I'm not saying he doesn't needs some work, abilities are not supposed to be useless, just right now sk has some stuff you can work with.

Last edited:
People saying kotal dont use him or only play against bad players. Kotal sucks. His pokes suck. His d3 is only +6 on hit. His best moves and strings are super slow and/or have gaps. His command grab is 14f so its slower then normal grabs and kotal cant use it in the corner or it throws them out of corner.The damage buff he gets from huehue goes away way too fast. If you do enhanced command grab, you pretty much need to do another one right away to keep the buff. His special moves are slow af lol.

KL is not as bad as I thought when i got the game. Id argue hes mid tier and really just has bad mus with some of the top tier characters. if first two hits of f2 string were safe hed be alot better imo

Wetdoba

All too easy...
What I've seen & played: Really good combo potential, Long advancing Normals, good D2, really good KB damage follow ups(can get 500 damage), Good grab potential, can hold his own against zoners, good specials

Do you play Shao Kahn? He's not good. He's fun but he's not good. You list that he has "good grab potential" which is confusing as hell to me because he doesn't have a command grab so his grab potential is exactly the same as everyone else. Also his forward throw takes opponents outside of oki range.

Long advancing normals? You mean f212 which is slow as hell and starts with a high and is full combo punishable or b3 which is a mid that is significantly shorter and full combo punishable?

Do you mean f34 which cashes out a cool 19% if you finish the string but is also full combo punishable on block?

Good krushing blow damage? You mean his universal d2 right? Because i don't think that you mean his f34 1+3 crush which requires you to use ridicule which is full combo punishable on reaction off any set up.

Do you mean his 12 1+3 crush which requires you to land 3 spears (i suppose your opponent must be sleeping)

Do you mean his Annihilation crush which requires Dark Priest to be active which is only safe off a couple of set ups against some characters without full screen checks?

Or his grab crush which is only on forward throw and only on reversal or get up?

"Can hold his own against zoners"- Is there a character in this game that can't? Pure projectile zoning is not that strong. His counter zone options are db4 or bf1. The spear is hella slow. Db4 is good though.

His damage might be nice with these but he has very few useful ones.

Specials:
Shoulder- full combo punishable on block
Annihilation- full combo punishable on block
Spear- punishable on block, whiffs most characters midscreen, completely whiffs STANDING opponents close range.

Dark Priest and Ridicule- full combo punishable on reaction

Hammer lunge: fine, this move is good and has its uses. -7 and you can choose to amplify or not.

Upward hammer- d2 punishable on reaction. Unfavorable trade except if your opponent has 5% life.

He's risky risky risky. Can you hitconfirm b2 staggers? No. You commit to an unsafe special or lose your turn.

Can you win with him? Of course. Is it as easy as it is with other characters? Hell no.
Learn how to confirm lmao

What a pathetically uninformed post

was the Sonicfox tier discussion a total joke?

Also, I was under the impression that neutral spacing and "good buttons" were just as important to a character as pressure once you're already in. Is the only thing that makes a character good or bad in this game really just block-string mixups?

How do Shao Kahn players even win matches? Are they just yoloing it in neutral? His fastest standing normal is 9f. Does he live and die by the d1? lol

Kano & Raiden. Possibly Cage? I'm not sure I want to commit to that one though.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
Scorpion!

No wait, I did that wrong.

He's broken.
Even this isn't true. I get punished and subsequently bodied as Scorpion if I'm not careful. He's not nearly the God-tier people are making him out to be.

As for the OP, Kollector seems slept on. In ranked variations, he's got a lot of tools that make him viable. In customs, he's exceptional.

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
This is my first time actively joining the test your might forums and their seems to be universal tier list that they will go off to show how good or bad a character is.

But their is some people that litterally are getting on my nerves with some of the characters they call really bad in this game. I know theirs gonna be too many MK experts that's gonna claim Git GUUD YIU NoOB. Yeah I know. Those people need to be assassinated.

Shao Khan

What Test Your Might Says: Really unsafe strings, very slow string starters, struggles in the poke game, most of his best starters are high

Jade

What Test your Might Says: unsafe combos , low damage potential, unsafe specials, slow startups.
Almost the same as Khan.

What I've seen: Eliminates Zoning. Even stops Erron Blacks Fatal Blow, really decent zoning game, long range, safer than she appears, unpredictable mix-ups, frame traps, D2, Shadow Kick unpredictable, etc

Anyone else I forget?
WOW !!! Thats what i call a statement lol Just be careful with the language . This Site is kind of a "safe space snowflake SJW " dont disagree with them to much lol But , coming to the game . i agree with you . i remember then saying Kitana was bad , and i play against other guys and she look pretty good to me . Plus , we all know a character is only bad until SONIC FOX picks them and starts to beat everyone lol Or . REO does a video aand everyone just rides it just not look bad , and they agreed with everything like sheep ,

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Fuck outta here with that bullshyt. If you can't comment anything positive than drown yourself in a vat of acid you unknown specimen.
Sounds like you could use your own advice.

The reason I said his post was uninformed is because it was. He cited annihilation being unsafe as a reason Shao is weak even though that move is just a combo ender and shouldnt ever be used on block anyway (no just because you watched Rico do D1 annihilation on block doesnt mean you or anyone else should actually ever do that). If that poster actually knew how to hitconfirm then his complaint about Shaos safety would be the opposite and he would realize Shao is either safe or plus on everything. That is why I said his post was uninformed

How do Shao Kahn players even win matches? Are they just yoloing it in neutral? His fastest standing normal is 9f. Does he live and die by the d1? lol

Kano & Raiden. Possibly Cage? I'm not sure I want to commit to that one though.
Shao Kahn has an amazing sweep that's forward advancing has good range and is only -2 on block. His ji2 is fucking insane, f2 has massive range for whiff punishment, he has a safe overhead that can make you reluctant to press buttons when he has meter and he can stagger like everyone else to open you up.

Yeah he's not as good as a lot of other characters and his main annoyances come from his KBs sucking ass with their requirements, and his buff basically being impossible to pull off in both variations even against mediocre opponents but he's got shit going for him and isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

Actually all the characters are pretty good, there's just some that are better.

I personally think only Kano is really ass, and even that's stretching it as he can certainly win just maybe not EVO.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Noob Saibot - it's the "omg I cant open people up with my really good footises, insane pokes, throw KB's, 40 % damage a' touch - pls gibe me overhead nrs thx"

If your fundamentals suck, you're gonna suck with Noob Saibot. It's not the character, it's you. Does it suck b11+3 is punishable? hell yeah. Does it suck to be caught pressing buttons up close against a 9 frame mid into tons of damage? HELL FUCKING YEAH.

And Kitana is also heavily downplayed IMO. Good footises, decent damage, Excellent shimmy game, decent projectiles, top tier safety, float mixups, d1 is disgusting. Just look at how damn good Semiij is doing. And I'm not taking anything from his skill, but he's not known for playing dumpster characters

Reactions: JTC

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
Kano is ass. He can't zone, he can't counter zone, he always needs to get in but can't get in free and he can't apply good safe pressure once he is in. His combo damage isn't even remarkable either. He's a pile of unsafe options that you force your opponent to guess between but you get punished way harder when they guess right than you get rewarded when they guess wrong.
Sounds like a fair trade off to me

Quick call out, anyone discussing the characters in question here let's get some online matches set up.

Nut up or shut up. (Nice voice)