What's new

Welcome to the B.P.R.D (Hellboy General Discussion Thread)

Interested in seeing him develope. The leap is hype. I like him a lot. I decided not to bother with a secondary and just stick to my primary beetle and occasional Swampy, but I'm gonna watch him closely and spend some lab time here and there with him.

Interested in how ending combos in f23 x leap works. Is it s true 50/50? Cause wouldn't that be a vortex? Land a hit, combo, end with f23 leap into 50/50, they guess wrong, combo, end in f23 leap.
All vortex. The oh, low, cross up mess is strong then you add a tick throw off the jump in. This shits unblockable

Would it be a good idea to use the air slam for mixups? Cuz if you add in all the mind games you can do with leap already, and add low/overheads into it, it seems like it could be pretty decent although very risky.

Messing around with this last night, j3 into low slam does nearly 300 and with trait + mb it does nearly 400. Again I’m not sure how useful this is for how unsafe the low slam is, but I thought it might be a easier way to apply mix.

Would it be a good idea to use the air slam for mixups? Cuz if you add in all the mind games you can do with leap already, and add low/overheads into it, it seems like it could be pretty decent although very risky.

Messing around with this last night, j3 into low slam does nearly 300 and with trait + mb it does nearly 400. Again I’m not sure how useful this is for how unsafe the low slam is, but I thought it might be a easier way to apply mix.
I think its strong for the vortex. I sometimes dash back and df3. The hitbox is huge. Also start of the match jump back df3 is so good.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Am I the only one that thinks his combos are pretty hard?

Linking his B3 is proving very tough for me
I knew i wasnt the only one! His B3 is on some clunky ass shit. I dont know if his recovery is broken or something...but his b3 is giving me problems. Ill lab him more today. But damn...At least hes worth it for now.

Has Supergirl given you guys any trouble? Idk if it’s just my lack of knowledge or something but it seems like she doesn’t need to respect much stuff.

Kinda hope they fix some whiffing issues I’ve been noticing. His b3 whiffs against skids a lot and the 2nd hit of 22 whiffs very often. I’ve also seen the 2nd hit of f23 whiff at max range but that seems a lot less common than the other two.

B3 whif is annoying. During my oalie jump in I use 11 instead of 22 now. The second hit is shorter than the first, its annoying. The first 1 might whiff too but the second 1 will land.

I know Hellboy is a lot of fun to play.. but I'm not convinced he's all that good YET.

How do you guys think he stacks up?
The biggest struggle I seem to find is actually opening people up. If you play someone with really good defense it feels nearly impossible to open them up.

I think Hellboys strength is really gonna depend on how strong his gimmicks really are just cuz of how little mix he actually has, not to mention his pretty poor defense.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I think he's going to suffer from MU syndrome and just get shit on by certain characters.

Im not trying to sound scrubby, or defeatist or anything, but once people get used to him some, I worry a LOT about his future. He has some setups and such, sure, but all that Ive seen require several things to click into place (like making a correct read on wakeup, ending a combo short for the reset attempt, having the corner, etc), with little to nothing guaranteed. His neutral is ok, but his + frames dont enforce much/anything, he has NO way to open you up in neutral unless he's whiff punishing or something and his shit backdash coupled with long whiff recovery of his own make this hard. I dunno. I just dont see how he's supposed to get anything done in neutral when opponents start realizing all they have to do is play a little patient and always block low, wait for the first hit, then stand up - and thats that. B22 starts becoming a liability. Gunshots whiff. His JOKE of a command grab becomes even more pointless.. Shrug.

IM sticking with him for a while though, Im having a blast, and I'm not even saying he's bad, Im just stating concerns that I have. I'd like to hear from any high level players who have been putting a lot of time into him. I feel like, and this is just thinking outloud, I feel like he's meant to kind of stalemate the neutral and use his leap to get damage. By slowing down and kind of walling up the neutral, you start building the time and spacing to use leap a little more.

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
Is it just me or does hellboys hurtbox seem weird to anyone else? I played against a couple of decent hellboys now and there were times when I swear the spacing would have hit other characters and it whiffed on hellboy. I played Aquaman and the f2 and b2 kept missing at ranges where I usually hit consistently, I felt.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Is it just me or does hellboys hurtbox seem weird to anyone else? I played against a couple of decent hellboys now and there were times when I swear the spacing would have hit other characters and it whiffed on hellboy. I played Aquaman and the f2 and b2 kept missing at ranges where I usually hit consistently, I felt.
Yes I knew it wasn’t just me. I’m also salty bc I main beetle and his damn air grab snatches my impatient ass out of the air so much lmaooo

EntropicByDesign

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I was having a lot of fun(played over 1k matches with him already lol) but not sure how much i'll keep using him. I played some good Catwomans and Supergirls, it was the least fun I've had on this game. Made me really emo about the character.

This is my worry..

EntropicByDesign

Eh, ok, maybe I'm going to get blown up for this..

But I think his trait armor is bad.

I've been digging through footage, and watching the WotGs stuff and so on, and every time I see a Hellboy pop armor, I cringe.

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Eh, ok, maybe I'm going to get blown up for this..

But I think his trait armor is bad.

I've been digging through footage, and watching the WotGs stuff and so on, and every time I see a Hellboy pop armor, I cringe.
So here's the advantage imo. It makes every attack -- no matter the start-up or recovery / hit adv -- have a stagnant "hit advantage". Meaning that a move that would generally be +3, but have a lot of recovery on whiff (for instance, a b3/f3), become punishable on hit. It also allows Hellboy to blow up gaps in some strings, but it definitely requires some labbing to use.

I don't know the exact number of hit advantage frames the armor gives, but it seems pretty short. I give an estimate of about 9-10 hit adv. The math probably works something like Recovery Frames - Hit Adv = new frame data.