What's new

We Need an NRS Only Major in The Midwest

Would You Travel for an NRS Only Major?

• Total voters

haketh

Noob
I;m not for an NRS only Major, but one for all the smaller games BB, GG, P4, VF, MK, IGAU would be great.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I;m not for an NRS only Major, but one for all the smaller games BB, GG, P4, VF, MK, IGAU would be great.
Frosty Faustings is an anime Major. IGAU is not a small game. The issue is that we've broken 100 several times and we're consistently 3rd highest entrants. BB has us beaten for now at SCR, and that's great for you guys, but we've delivered too many times to be treated like a side game.

An NRS style Capcom Cup, Arc Revo Cup, or Darkstalkers Combination Cup would be pretty awesome to have anywhere in America.

But to have a tournament of that size you'd probably need to get NRS involved as a major sponsor just like all those other games do. Couldn't hurt to ask them anyway. Even if they say no I'm sure they'll be just as happy to know that their community is still looking to expand and run events for their older titles as well as newer ones.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
ill be completely honest, i probably wont travel to an NRS only event. i try to make it out to as much as i can but i would have to rule out the tournaments that dont have sc5 there out since that is my main game over injustice. sorry guys, but i can only make it to so many events and this is honestly the biggest determining factor.

however with that being said i am completely for this movement

Frosty Faustings is an anime Major. IGAU is not a small game. The issue is that we've broken 100 several times and we're consistently 3rd highest entrants. BB has us beaten for now at SCR, and that's great for you guys, but we've delivered too many times to be treated like a side game.
even though i do agree with you, i dont think its a good idea to keep saying that we consistently the 3rd highest entrants, because we really don't. sure we have come strong at KIT (which from what i heard tekken had more than injustice) and NEC (which blazblue had more) but there have been a handful of events like Defend the North and Apex that had much lower numbers. whenever this happens people just say that these events aren't majors but its hard to make a case for that when there are 200+ entrants for other games.

Last edited:

Fromundaman

I write too much.
ill be completely honest, i probably wont travel to an NRS only event. i try to make it out to as much as i can but i would have to rule out the tournaments that dont have sc5 there out since that is my main game over injustice. sorry guys, but i can only make it to so many events and this is honestly the biggest determining factor.

even though i do agree with you, i dont think its a good idea to keep saying that we consistently the 3rd highest entrants, because we really don't. sure we have come strong at KIT (which from what i heard tekken had more than injustice) and NEC (which blazblue had more) but there have been a handful of events like Defend the North and Apex that had much lower numbers. whenever this happens people just say that these events aren't majors but its hard to make a case for that when there are 200+ entrants for other games.
Woah SCV is still alive in the States? I thought it was pretty much only active in Europe now.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Woah SCV is still alive in the States? I thought it was pretty much only active in Europe now.
not incredibly active. id say theres around 120 competitive players in the states but most of them don't travel. there are usually around 30 entrants at your average major, but NEC and Final Round usually get 60+. This years Final Round Lolo from Mexico is coming and there is word that Kamichan from Japan is coming with some other Japanese players (which i hope are also SC players lolol). Even though its a small scene, it's by far my favorite game that has an active community (prob my favorite fighting game ever) and I really try to do whatever I can for the community since we lack a solid community leader.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf

That's not even fair to say. KIT was capped at 67. Blazblue had 91 for singles, but more for teams. This came from Big E personally. We had 120+ at NEC as Shock told you in the other thread. Apex is a Smash Major-obviously people won't travel for that, and no one wanted to take a chance on DTN when NY stopped supporting Injustice in June. They didn't even have sufficient setups. Lets be serious here.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
not incredibly active. id say theres around 120 competitive players in the states but most of them don't travel. there are usually around 30 entrants at your average major, but NEC and Final Round usually get 60+. This years Final Round Lolo from Mexico is coming and there is word that Kamichan from Japan is coming with some other Japanese players (which i hope are also SC players lolol). Even though its a small scene, it's by far my favorite game that has an active community (prob my favorite fighting game ever) and I really try to do whatever I can for the community since we lack a solid community leader.
Man, I loved that game despite being terrible at it and enter the very few locals we have for it, but I had pretty much given up on it since our average tournaments had 4 entrants...

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
That's not even fair to say. KIT was capped at 67. Blazblue had 91 for singles, but more for teams. This came from Big E personally. We had 120+ at NEC as Shock told you in the other thread. Apex is a Smash Major-obviously people won't travel for that, and DTN didn't even have sufficient setups for Injustice. Lets be serious here.
maybe DTN would have had more setups if they didnt get under 30 prereg and was getting zero attention from tym. that doesnt surprise me at all. blazblue had 51 teams (153 players) and the singles event was single elim and was not the main BB event at NEC. putting that into persepective, it would be like them having 153 entrants for singles and 30 teams if singles was the main event instead of teams. KIT being capped I was unaware of so my bad on that one. As for Apex, capcom players traveled. No idea why nobody else did, most TOs don't through 500 dollars at Injustice. That kind of money should get people traveling.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
maybe DTN would have had more setups if they didnt get under 30 prereg and was getting zero attention from tym. that doesnt surprise me at all. blazblue had 51 teams (153 players) and the singles event was single elim and was not the main BB event at NEC. putting that into persepective, it would be like them having 153 entrants for singles and 30 teams if singles was the main event instead of teams. KIT being capped I was unaware of so my bad on that one. As for Apex, capcom players traveled. No idea why nobody else did, most TOs don't through 500 dollars at Injustice. That kind of money should get people traveling.
Don't even blame the community. Again, no one(in this community) is jumping up and down to support an NY Major when their local scene died 7 months prior. Big E gave us a $500 pot bonus with 27 preregs at WB and ALWAYS has sufficient setups. It's the TO's job to be prepared for door registrants.

Last edited:

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Don't even blame the community. Again, no one is jumping up and down to support an NY Major when their local scene died 7 months prior. Big E gave us a $500 pot bonus with 27 preregs at WB and ALWAYS has sufficient setups. It's the TO's job to be prepared for door registrants.
Okay I can feel you on DTN but on Apex I honestly can't. They gave us the pot bonus with low pre reg and they had something like 10 setups for injustice. regardless of what you guys consider Apex, I would strongly suggest that you guys look into this event for the future. its a damn shame that we didn't.

regardless, i do see a trend that events that the community decides not to support as vocally as others are typically not considered majors.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Okay I can feel you on DTN but on Apex I honestly can't. They gave us the pot bonus with low pre reg and they had something like 10 setups for injustice. regardless of what you guys consider Apex, I would strongly suggest that you guys look into this event for the future. its a damn shame that we didn't
Well, I can respect that, but this community tends to save their money for Majors where their game is a main focus, and I don't blame them.

An NRS style Capcom Cup, Arc Revo Cup, or Darkstalkers Combination Cup would be pretty awesome to have anywhere in America.

But to have a tournament of that size you'd probably need to get NRS involved as a major sponsor just like all those other games do. Couldn't hurt to ask them anyway. Even if they say no I'm sure they'll be just as happy to know that their community is still looking to expand and run events for their older titles as well as newer ones.
I say Midwest because of all the tournaments we've lost there. That region needs it more than any other because of the heavy concentration of NRS players, and the absence of Majors.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Well, I can respect that, but this community tends to save their money for Majors where their game is a main focus, and I don't blame them.
yes but MK9 certainly wasnt the main focus of MLG, or any fighting game for that matter. Apex is an example of something bigger than us offering us a chance to become a part of what they do and we ignored it. sure its on a much smaller scale than MLG is but its the same concept.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
but regardless of all this nonsense, it seems that the only events that are regarded as majors are the ones that we decide to actively make noise about as a community. NCR is certainly a major (even though their name suggests otherwise) and from what I can tell the fact that injustice is a side tournament pissed a bunch of people off. Would we also say that isn't a major?

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
but regardless of all this nonsense, it seems that the only events that are regarded as majors are the ones that we decide to actively make noise about as a community. NCR is certainly a major (even though their name suggests otherwise) and from what I can tell the fact that injustice is a side tournament pissed a bunch of people off. Would we also say that isn't a major?
It's not a Major for our game. This is what people mean on this website when they say that.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
GGA is considering (and has been considering) doing an NRS major. While GGA is home to many NRS players and the company itself, the actual arcade is not large enough currently to support this kind of audience. We are looking at a bigger venue, like possible the GameWorks in Schaumburg. After the expansion that we are attempting to raise funds for, we may have enough space. So definitely a possibility!

haketh

Noob
It is an Anime Major but it's not an Anime only major. Doing a NRS only major or only a Smaller Scene major would be really hard for the first time, I wanna see it happen but I;m not sure it would work right now.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
It is an Anime Major but it's not an Anime only major. Doing a NRS only major or only a Smaller Scene major would be really hard for the first time, I wanna see it happen but I;m not sure it would work right now.
Which is why we should get the ball rolling now and start suggesting ideas.

@GGA HAN What's the update on the GGA fundraiser? How much more do you need for a bigger venue?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I don't think it should be NRS only. Welcome all communities and let the best games with community support be showcased. I would love another Cleveland major to spring up in my backyard.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Okay I can feel you on DTN but on Apex I honestly can't. They gave us the pot bonus with low pre reg and they had something like 10 setups for injustice. regardless of what you guys consider Apex, I would strongly suggest that you guys look into this event for the future. its a damn shame that we didn't.
Just so you know, APEX 2 years ago was big for MK9 and it was a great tournament. Then the next year, they announced it again, but dropped it with no warning. So people kept asking for details/updates and got no reply, until it just wasn't there.

So a lot of people are wary of the tournament, and it's also why it got a little less attention. If they'd kept their word last year they'd have had a lot more momentum for IGAU this year I'm sure.

Also I think being the week after DTN affected it as well. A lot of people made the choice to go to one or the other. If they were farther apart you could blame people, but not everyone will make 2 events in 2 weeks.

With that said it was a positive and exciting event this year and hopefully it will continue to build again for the future.

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I don't think it should be NRS only. Welcome all communities and let the best games with community support be showcased. I would love another Cleveland major to spring up in my backyard.
This isn't about excluding other communities-it's about showcasing our game. The ignorance in the chat was unbearable this past weekend. People assume that no one plays the game because it doesn't get stream time. I am proposing this to change that mentality. When a large amount of viewers sees the entirety of pools along with Top 8, they will understand the true strength of the patch and not dismiss Injustice as the boring Superman fest it was at EVO. That really hurt us, so we need to show everyone how far we've come since then. KIT was a great start with 6 hours of pools on the main stream, and WB Top 8 left an exclamation mark, but we have to keep the hype train moving.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
This isn't about excluding other communities-it's about showcasing our game. The ignorance in the chat was unbearable this past weekend. People assume that no one plays the game because it doesn't get stream time. I am proposing this to change that mentality. When a large amount of viewers sees the entirety of pools along with Top 8, they will understand the true strength of the patch and not dismiss Injustice as the boring Superman fest it was at EVO. That really hurt us, so we need to show everyone how far we've come since then. KIT was a great start with 6 hours of pools on the main stream, and WB Top 8 left an exclamation mark, but we have to keep the hype train moving.
I understand wanting to showcase the game, the problem is that to run a sustainable major my guess would be that it would be hard to do with the support of the NRS community alone... until our community for a game like this grew in way larger numbers. I for one would love to see a huge NRS event, but from the business side if I was going to run an event it would make no sense to outcast the games drawing big numbers right now.