What's new

We Need an NRS Only Major in The Midwest

Would You Travel for an NRS Only Major?

• Total voters

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Everyone's been mashing the panic button since hearing the news of UFGT disbanding. We've lost Powerup, Seasons Beatings, and this year's UFGT will be the last. This leaves a whole region without any big tournaments throughout the entire EVO season to showcase their amazing talent. We have to start planning now to do something about this.

I propose a central location like Ohio or Chicago, where the majority of the strong midwest players in the NRS scene reside. This could be run by a partnership of Console Combat and GGA, kind of like how @Shock travels to every East Coast Major. We wouldn't have to fight for stream time, space, or explain seeding to TO's that don't know our players. The games featured would be MK Trilogy, MK 9, and Injustice. The date would take the place of UFGT in May.

This sounds all great on paper, but I must know if you guys are down for it. I feel like this community has done nothing but EXCEED expectations for the last calendar year, and we can definitely make this happen. So the question remains: would you guys actually travel for this?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
yeah sure. Now that I'm trying to get more serious I'd love to have something close to come to. Hopefully I can find my way to the last UFGT but I wouldn't turn down something else potentially close

Fromundaman

I write too much.
While I love the idea of another major, especially near me, doing a NRS ONLY major would be counterproductive by killing attendance numbers.

Having NRS games side by side with Capcom games would bring in more people, and therefore more money.

Also there was talk of making Alpha Attack a major next time, so we'll see what happens there.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
While I love the idea of another major, especially near me, doing a NRS ONLY major would be counterproductive by killing attendance numbers.

Having NRS games side by side with Capcom games would bring in more people, and therefore more money.

Also there was talk of making Alpha Attack a major next time, so we'll see what happens there.
This argument would have been viable during MK only days, but Injustice has been well over 100 at several Majors. We could do this for that game alone, then have the MK enthusiasts get their games back in the limelight at the same time. It's a win/win situation for everybody here.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
This argument would have been viable during MK only days, but Injustice has been well over 100 at several Majors. We could do this for that game alone, then have the MK enthusiasts get their games back in the limelight at the same time. It's a win/win situation for everybody here.
I understand that, but look at it from a TO/sponsor's perspective. Sure, you could do NRS only and get 100-150 through the door, or you could also throw in capcom games as well and get double/triple those numbers.

I mean yes a NRS-only major would support itself, assuming it succeeds on the first try (Pot bonuses could help alleviate this issue), but why limit yourself?

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I understand that, but look at it from a TO/sponsor's perspective. Sure, you could do NRS only and get 100-150 through the door, or you could also throw in capcom games as well and get double/triple those numbers.

I mean yes a NRS-only major would support itself, assuming it succeeds on the first try (Pot bonuses could help alleviate this issue), but why limit yourself?
Because this is something I feel we can sustain ourselves. The Smash community does fine on its own. I'm sure NRS would be willing to support this endeavor, considering it's a tournament dedicated to showcasing ONLY their games. We have people in this community with direct connections to NRS to make something like this happen(pot bonuses, advertising, etc).

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Because this is something I feel we can sustain ourselves. The Smash community does fine on its own. I'm sure NRS would be willing to support this endeavor, considering it's a tournament dedicated to showcasing ONLY their games. We have people in this community with direct connections to NRS to make something like this happen(pot bonuses, advertising, etc).
That's a fair point.

That said, having been part of the Smash community before, we hosted our own tournaments due to the fact Smash has historically always been shat on by "real" fighting game players.
That said, Smash tournaments never really had support from Nintendo either.

While I don't know about nationally since I stopped playing smash around when MVC3 came out, I know that locally smash numbers skyrocketed ever since they made last year's EVO and finally started getting accepted as a "real" fighting game and being played side by side with Capcom, NRS and Namco games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying in any way that this is a bad idea.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
That's a fair point.

That said, having been part of the Smash community before, we hosted our own tournaments due to the fact Smash has historically always been shat on by "real" fighting game players.
That said, Smash tournaments never really had support from Nintendo either.

While I don't know about nationally since I stopped playing smash around when MVC3 came out, I know that locally smash numbers skyrocketed ever since they made last year's EVO and finally started getting accepted as a "real" fighting game and being played side by side with Capcom, NRS and Namco games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying in any way that this is a bad idea.
I understand, and I welcome all criticism. I am simply laying things out the way I see them. As for Smash, I see a tournament from them consistently, whether it be a local, monthly, or Major, with over 100 entrants.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/feb/13/best-4-live-stream-and-early-results-super-smash-bros-melee-and-project-m-tournament-featuring-armada-leffen-ice-and-more/#comments

Before EVO last year, and even after, they didn't need anyone to hold their hand. I feel like the Injustice title carries enough power to attract a large amount of players without the "validation" of Capcom games.

BrobaChett

GODSTOMPER
I would LOVE if Ohio had a major, especially for NRS games since they're the only FG's I really play. This would be awesome and I am more than willing to help out in anyway possible if someone did this in Ohio.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Because this is something I feel we can sustain ourselves. The Smash community does fine on its own. I'm sure NRS would be willing to support this endeavor, considering it's a tournament dedicated to showcasing ONLY their games.
NRS doesnt have the kind of power to throw money at tournaments, that is all WB. And like Fromundaman said, they certainly wouldnt pay for a 150 man tournament.

I like the idea, I only said no because I dont travel for tournaments. I wouldnt rely on any help from NRS unless it comes to spreading the word(which they do a great job of already). But hey, maybe im wrong and they'll sweeten the pot.

Best of luck to you.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
NRS doesnt have the kind of power to throw money at tournaments, that is all WB. And like Fromundaman said, they certainly wouldnt pay for a 150 man tournament.

I like the idea, I only said no because I dont travel for tournaments. I wouldnt rely on any help from NRS unless it comes to spreading the word(which they do a great job of already). But hey, maybe im wrong and they'll sweeten the pot.

Best of luck to you.

Good point. Warner Brothers does front the money. It's ok. I still believe we are fully capable of doing this on our own.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Why would it be NRS only? What's wrong with Capcom games being there?
I think it would be cool to do something like APEX: The NRS community could be the main games with other games being there. It might be hard for Capcom communities to swallow their pride, but as long as it is run by NRS community members that shouldn't matter,

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I think it would be cool to do something like APEX: The NRS community could be the main games with other games being there. It might be hard for Capcom communities to swallow their pride, but as long as it is run by NRS community members that shouldn't matter,
This does sound like the best idea to me.

The FGC in general seems to splinter way too much anyway. If it were up to me every game that attracts a good number of entrants would be at every tournament.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I wonder if an NRS only major while an exciting prospect for NRS players, would do more harm than good in terms of bringing outside players into the NRS community. Obviously, if there was an Arcs systems works only/ Capcom only/ Atlus only major at different parts of the nation, other players from other communities wouldn't typically feel shunned or disrespected from the tournament being non inclusive, but I think NRS is in a slightly weird place where some tournaments actually seem to have something against NRS games. NRS games not being shown respect, being pushed to the sidelines and losing players due to other games is enough fuel for those that aren't too keen on NRS to stick to their guns in that aspect, and we can already see this happening. Is it not conceivable that an NRS only major may cause some TOs who already despise NRS to say "Well, there you have it, they've got their own thing going on over there, let me not even bother putting Injustice on as a game in my tournament." Others who already feel that Capcom and NRS games are usually segregated will further be convinced of such (there is already extreme hatred/elitism for anime/non anime fighters and vice versa etc.) and overall, while not having the main spotlight in some tournaments is a bummer, Injustice and NRS games still bring a lot of hype and a lot of viewers, and there's no such thing as bad press.

Maybe an 'NRS only major' should be made where we primarily come to play NRS games, but to show that we aren't shunning other communities or trying to make an unsaid statement, have other players who want to play other games feel welcome to do so.(Not TECHNICALLY NRS only) Just not as prominently as NRS games. And also not in a way that gives off the vibe: Yeah you guys made Injustice a side game with no respect at YOUR major? Yeah bro tit for tat, wake up at 6 am to play BlazBlue. Hold that".

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Exactly. It would probably be looked down upon because people still operate under the fallacy that NRS games get no entrants, so they'd assume a lot of people won't come anyway. If we throw our own Major, get over 100 entrants, and it's a rousing success, we will get the respect we deserve.

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I wonder if an NRS only major while an exciting prospect for NRS players, would do more harm than good in terms of bringing outside players into the NRS community. Obviously, if there was an Arcs systems works only/ Capcom only/ Atlus only major at different parts of the nation, other players from other communities wouldn't typically feel shunned or disrespected from the tournament being non inclusive, but I think NRS is in a slightly weird place where some tournaments actually seem to have something against NRS games. NRS games not being shown respect, being pushed to the sidelines and losing players due to other games is enough fuel for those that aren't too keen on NRS to stick to their guns in that aspect, and we can already see this happening. Is it not conceivable that an NRS only major may cause some TOs who already despise NRS to say "Well, there you have it, they've got their own thing going on over there, let me not even bother putting Injustice on as a game in my tournament." Others who already feel that Capcom and NRS games are usually segregated will further be convinced of such (there is already extreme hatred/elitism for anime/non anime fighters and vice versa etc.) and overall, while not having the main spotlight in some tournaments is a bummer, Injustice and NRS games still bring a lot of hype and a lot of viewers, and there's no such thing as bad press.

Maybe an 'NRS only major' should be made where we primarily come to play NRS games, but to show that we aren't shunning other communities or trying to make an unsaid statement, have other players who want to play other games feel welcome to do so.(Not TECHNICALLY NRS only) Just not as prominently as NRS games. And also not in a way that gives off the vibe: Yeah you guys made Injustice a side game with no respect at YOUR major? Yeah bro tit for tat, wake up at 6 am to play BlazBlue. Hold that".
I respect your points. This isn't necessarily a SCREW CAPCOM thread, but an effort to prove our game deserves the spotlight and we're tired of being pushed to the side when we get main game numbers.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
How about everyone just show up to youmacon. :3 come on it'll be fun

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
This can only be a good idea, I'm 100% gonna get to the last UFGT if work/school allows but yea, NRS only major in Chicago would be amazing. I'd go for sure.