What's new

We built this Kommunity!

Was TYM, UMK & CMK influential in you being part of the fighting game community?

• Yes, TYM, UMK & CMK was a big reason for me being a part of this!

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Because of TYM, UMK & CMK, I want to be part of this, but I havent had the chance yet.(HELP)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I will be part of this SOON! You can count on it!

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I want to let you guys know that I appreciate what we have built here on TYM. We have built a community that has come to personally know eachother in real life. We have a bigger history than any random online web-site, and we are making waves across the fighting game community and letting everyone know, that MK is going to be a part of this, whether you like it or not!

Before TYM was built, the scene was seemingly dead. A broad majority of online players felt that competitive online matches on an apparent dead, unimportant gaming-forum mattered, and I was one of them. Through time and experience, I opened myself to the fighting game community, experiencing a vast majority of players determined to compete, learn, and be part of something big, and in the process, become friends.

From, ranbats, tournaments, majors, to even running my first small tournament at a P(N)T here in Cali. I began to experience true competition. I tried to get everyone involved, but on accounts to being stuck on a forum-board where opening yourself to events is a no-way street, everything seemed lost. One day, and as random as it was, Storms asked me if I was interested in helping him build TYM, which was once known as, MKE. Of course I had so many thoughts running through my head, but my quick response was, "Yes." We had big plans, and those big plans turned into a networking shrine for the MK-Kommunity.

Before this, we had a small community of players, but with time, it has turned into something bigger and as we speak, it is growing quicker than I had originaly anticipated. I do want to thank those who joined past events, got to meet, play, have fun, and experience TOURANMENT-PLAY! We have built a real fighting game community, and we are building it faster, brick by brick, and day by day.

When I hosted my first tournament though, I do want to give homage to Wonder_Chef, GunzaBlaze, WC Ownage, Tek Ressurected and Kabezone for coming through. I also don't want to forget Darkhood88, who was a real nice guy, and came through when nobody else did. At the end of the day, even though we should have used the TV you brought and didnt, I want to thank you for brining it. It was a pleasure meeting you man, and I do hope that we meet again for future events. I will be hosting casuals and tournaments soon at my school, and I want you to know that you are always welcome, along with everybody else.

Big props to Wonder_Chef who has helped me on numerous occasions, and is always willing to help out with tournaments and future casual events. When we finally get a chance to host casuals at our school, if you are down to stream our stuff, I will let you have my dazzle man. Thats how much this means to me.

One condition! I can borrow it.

Homage also goes to players like Silent, Aure, and DC Hustle for showing up to Evolution. Same goes to those who I havent met yet, and hope to meet in december for NEC if everything goes well.

I'm glad to see us finally networking. If this doesnt show the fighting game community, that the MK-Kommunity is ready to have UMK3, and/or MK9 & MKHD at evolution, I don't know what does.

Thank you Storms for making this possible, I put my heart and soul on this site, and hopefully I get to meet you in december. I do get paid for what I do, and I get paid by seeing the MK-Kommunity flourish along with my buddy Scott! haha!

Thank you Tim Static for doing what you do. I might not always agree with everything you do forum wise, but you, sir are definitely one of the biggest assets to the community, a great contributor, and a guy to remember for the ages! So strap that cab on your back and walk to the next tournament, cause we aint done, not in a million years!

Thank you 9.95(Phil), and Dark_Rob! Both outstanding people. Always helping out, level headed, and very smart individuals. Theres a reason why you guys are leads.

Thank you THTB, Dancock, Juggernaut and Bossette! We strive for the community, we work for the community, and without you guys, we wouldnt be here in the first place!

Big props to Shock, AC, Konqrr, Tom Brady, and countless others! I do indeed hope to meet every single one of you in the near future.

This thread will serve as a poll, for those who believe that TYM, UMK and CMK was highly influencial in building the community we have today. For those who havent experienced being part of the fighting game scene. There will be a poll in which you can select, and we will see and try and help you guys out. We have a long way to go, and we want to take everyone with us!

Thank you all, and see you all soon! Peace!

JagoMIH

Noob
Nice post. I'd also like to thank Check and his contributions, he's made at least 5,000 finds for all the 3d MK games. I wish him good luck with his schooling, and I think someone of his intelligence is too good to work for someone like Midway who doesn't acknowledge him. He deserves something better.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Since the beggining, Check was a big reason why I even started messing with offline. And now, hopefully if everything goes well, we will meet up in december.

Jago, will you be able to come through? It would be nice to have you there as well.

Also, for those who voted #2, please post up any questions you have here. I forgot to set it to public. We will help anyone who wants to attend an event, but has concerns, or questions about how to get there.

[Off Topic]

Jago, you can have underscores on your PSN gamertags now.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Yes, Bone... TYM has come a LONG way since Nov. 2009 and the plans keep coming! :)

Major props to you... TYM wouldn't have a lot of what it does without you and I am very much hoping that we get to meet in December at NECX.

Shock, Tim, Phil, AC, Nit/summoning, Rob, Alda... I only hope that we continue our tournament run together.

Everyone else... you MUST get a taste of an offline tournament; there's nothing like it. :top:

TWZTID

Noob
im still kicking myself for not making bones tournament...... and now my situation is a lil more tougher with my license bein taken away. But im hoping i can get things to turn around soon because i would love to attend a tourny to meet u guys, especially bone, Storms, and Tim

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
im still kicking myself for not making bones tournament...... and now my situation is a lil more tougher with my license bein taken away. But im hoping i can get things to turn around soon because i would love to attend a tourny to meet u guys, especially bone, Storms, and Tim
You know what... maybe we should start an overall tournament fund then. Because obviously none of us are rich and attending this events isn't always the easiest thing to accomplish.

This would have to be an overall tournament fund though... but I'm not exactly sure how it would work or if it would, but it's definitely something to look in to.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
You know what... maybe we should start an overall tournament fund then. Because obviously none of us are rich and attending this events isn't always the easiest thing to accomplish.

This would have to be an overall tournament fund though... but I'm not exactly sure how it would work or if it would, but it's definitely something to look in to.
This is a great idea. We should definitely brainstorm some more on this.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I've hosted one succesfui tournament in NYC ubt it was more meet and greet.

I've tried with truking many occaions but all ATL people are lazy bums like most.

I would go wherever but when you live 15miles away and have 16 excuses then it serves no purpose.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
I've hosted one succesfui tournament in NYC ubt it was more meet and greet.

I've tried with truking many occaions but all ATL people are lazy bums like most.

I would go wherever but when you live 15miles away and have 16 excuses then it serves no purpose.
Hey man, are you going to NEC-XI? It will be in December.

I will fly in from Cali, and there will be a lot of TYM Faces. Dan, Riu, Check, Tom Brady, Tim Static, Storms, 9.95, Dark_Rob, REO, Shock, AC, and countless more. I almost feel bad for leaving people out... lol

Booya

Banned
Non of you built this community, sorry. MKO and MKD built it, u want umk3 goto there site, just sayin.

u wanna ban me for the truth so be it, lol at u power hungry fools.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hey man, are you going to NEC-XI? It will be in December.

I will fly in from Cali, and there will be a lot of TYM Faces. Dan, Riu, Check, Tom Brady, Tim Static, Storms, 9.95, Dark_Rob, REO, Shock, AC, and countless more. I almost feel bad for leaving people out... lol
What game? The answer is 90% yes....We're having a baby between dec 14th-Jan1st so I need to ok it with the Wife

Pig = Whipped... :D

Dark_Rob

Noob
A great post Bone! I couldnt have said it better myself. For me TYM was basically the catalyst that got me involved in the tournament scene. For it was through TYM that I first met Phil.(9.95). From there it was through Phil that I met Shock and Summoning. These three people whom I have great respect and admiration for helped me get involved in the UMK3 tournament scene as well as constantly helping me to further refine my game and improve my play.
Now less than a year later, I have attended several tourneys, travelled to Philadelphia, New Jersey, and all over New York and Long Island, as well as been to countless offline gatherings. Ive run a few brackets, done commentary on a live stream and had a lot of fun in the process. But mostly its the people I remember the most. Ive been priveledged to meet some of the finest people Ive ever had the honor of knowing and to call these people my friends. People like AC1984,Tim Static, Storms, REO(The champ!), Sweet Johnny Cage and many others Im sure Im forgetting at the moment. And I look foward to meeting many more of you in the future. I really hope to meet Krayzie Bone,Check,THTB,Juggernaut,Dan Cock, DC Hustle and others at the upcoming NEC XI in Philadelphia in December. This could be the biggest gathering of TYM members in one place since the sites inception and would be a defining moment in our communities history.
As Bone noted we have accomplished a great deal over the past year. I wont bother recounting since Bone said it better than I ever could. Looking back though I would say we all have a lot to be proud of. Instead I will speak of the future. While we have accomplished alot, there is still so much more we need to do. We need to continue to push competitive MK on a tournament level. We need to get more players off the couch and into the tourney halls. We have to continue to show the fighting game community that we are dedicated and deadly serious about competitive MK being recognized on not only a regional but a national level as well. UMK3 has made great strides in a relatively short time. From one stream at ECT2 it has grown and grown.
Seasons Beatings Redemption was the pinnacle of everything weve worked for so far. The biggest gathering of top UMK3 players in years. The first stream EVER to include an entire top 8 bracket in its broadcast. And of course the crowning of a new champion in REO. Im only sorry I couldnt be there.
We must continue the momentum and use it to push competitive MK to ever further heights. Its ours for the taking. We need only do whats nessecary to take it. These are all very important to the big picture of what we are trying to do both at tourneys and on this site as well.
From a smaller and more personal perspective. I would say if youve never been to a tourney, you should come because I guarantee you will have alot of fun and meet some great people. And that right there is how it all started for me.

Booya

Banned
Booya, I'm only going to say this once. Please stop instigating stuff by bringing up MKU. Thank you.

-THTB

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
What game? The answer is 90% yes....We're having a baby between dec 14th-Jan1st so I need to ok it with the Wife

Pig = Whipped... :D
I want to go for SSFIV and UMK3. As a community here on TYM, the main event will be UMK3 of course, but will also have side tournaments like MK:A,D and MKvsDC. We can thank dan for those. And of course, countless casual matches. It will be fun man, theres no way I would fly from Cali to Phily if I didnt no so... haha

A great post Bone! I couldnt have said it better myself. For me TYM was basically the catalyst that got me involved in the tournament scene. For it was through TYM that I first met Phil.(9.95). From there it was through Phil that I met Shock and Summoning. These three people whom I have great respect and admiration for helped me get involved in the UMK3 tournament scene as well as constantly helping me to further refine my game and improve my play.
Now less than a year later, I have attended several tourneys, travelled to Philadelphia, New Jersey, and all over New York and Long Island, as well as been to countless offline gatherings. Ive run a few brackets, done commentary on a live stream and had a lot of fun in the process. But mostly its the people I remember the most. Ive been priveledged to meet some of the finest people Ive ever had the honor of knowing and to call these people my friends. People like AC1984,Tim Static, Storms, REO(The champ!), Sweet Johnny Cage and many others Im sure Im forgetting at the moment. And I look foward to meeting many more of you in the future. I really hope to meet Krayzie Bone,Check,THTB,Juggernaut,Dan Cock, DC Hustle and others at the upcoming NEC XI in Philadelphia in December. This could be the biggest gathering if TYM members in one place since the sites inception and would be a defining moment in our communities history.
As Bone noted we have accomplished a great deal over the past year. I wont bother recounting since Bone said it better than I ever could. Looking back though I would say we all have a lot to be proud of. Instead I will speak of the future. While we have accomplished alot, there is still so much more we need to do. We need to continue to push competitive MK on a tournament level. We need to get more players off the couch and into the tourney halls. We have to continue to show the fighting game community that we are dedicated and deadly serious about competitive MK being recognized on not only a regional but a national level as well. UMK3 has made great strides in a relatively short time. From one stream at ECT2 it has grown and grown.
Seasons Beatings Redemption was the pinnacle of everything weve worked for so far. The biggest gathering of top UMK3 players in years. The first stream EVER to include an entire top 8 bracket in its broadcast. And of course the crowning of a new champion in REO. Im only sorry I couldnt be there.
We must continue the momentum and use it to push competitive MK to ever further heights. Its ours for the taking. We need only do whats nessecary to take it. These are all very important to the big picture of what we are trying to do both at tourneys and on this site as well.
From a smaller and more personal perspective. I would say if youve never been to a tourney, you should come because I guarantee you will have alot of fun and meet some great people. And that right there is how it all started for me.
Hey man, we have to make waves. For the first time, I can truly say "MK" is part of the fighting game scene.

I was thinking of making a video compilation of different MK-Players. A TYM intro commercial for this.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Non of you built this community, sorry. MKO and MKD built it, u want umk3 goto there site, just sayin.

what has MKO and MKD do to help make people go to offline fighting game competitions?? online MKO and MKD did alot, offline they did nothing.. CMK, UMK and now TYM have. read before you start assuming stuff..

I honestly wouldnt care if MKA and MKD or even MKDA was being played in me and dans hotel room. Just fucking play it.

For myself, since ive been around here the longest besides dan, i have to give major respect to him, tom brady, versatile, konqrr, malone and everyone else from the MKDA days, because thats what brought me into this community in general.

Again, dan, the first person to ever show me love in this community and say "Watch out for check, hes a great player" was motivation for me to know I WAS A GOOD PLAYER. It is this quality in the community that i feel has been missing since MKDC. All anyone cared about was being the best.

MK9 will bring the truth out in this community hopefully and ultimately shape what happens to it. If it ends up another MKDC, then it stay the way it is, if it converts back to the days of MKDA and UMK3, then we can start talking about "building this community." And that is just my opinion. I've been here for a while and have watched all its ups and downs.

Thank you to all those i mentioned and those of you that i havent, keep supporting the community, because you arent being overlooked. Nothing and noone in this community will EVER be overlooked. Its too small, and needs as much support as possible. We dont need MK having a bad name.

Thank you to Jago for the ultimate respect. It's probably more in the neighborhood of 12,000 finds/videos/doing combos with 2 controllers at once etc etc etc.............

Bone - Im glad i got you interested in Offline. Thats all a man can do! :)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Before TYM, UMK and CMK... I had never gone to or even thought about going to an offline tournament. In all honesty, I own it all to Tim, Bone, Phil, Rob, Scheiss and Shock. No one else... no other site either. And this thread is not about bashing other sites, it's about the truth and straightening out any false accusations caused by some people who don't even go to offline tournaments, so in their case they can shut their mouths.

Come out to the tournaments, support the scene, improve your overall fighting game experience... meet new people and begin matchmaking.

Fuckin A.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Looking back though I would say we all have a lot to be proud of. Instead I will speak of the future. While we have accomplished alot, there is still so much more we need to do. We need to continue to push competitive MK on a tournament level. We need to get more players off the couch and into the tourney halls. We have to continue to show the fighting game community that we are dedicated and deadly serious about competitive MK being recognized on not only a regional but a national level as well. UMK3 has made great strides in a relatively short time. From one stream at ECT2 it has grown and grown.

Very well said. Year 1 is only our prequel. Day in and day out Bone and I have ideas, ideas, ideas, ideas and more ideas. 1 at a time and sometimes some ideas go forgotten or set aside for a later time, but trust me... 1 at a time.

Noob

Booya, I'm not quite sure who pissed in your Cheerios, but you're certainly not gonna piss in mine or the people who run TYM, CMK, or UMK.

Power hungry fools? Lemme ask you something... regardless of who actually has power and who doesn't...this is a VIDEO GAME WEB SITE afterall, so "power" really matters very little.... but putting that aside... What have YOU done to deserve to have any power in this community outside of just simply being an annoyance in the shoutbox?

You see, the players here, STORMS, Krayzie Bone, Tim Static, Dark_Rob, AC1984, REO, Scheisse, Dan, THTB, Juggernaut and myself... not to mention members from UMK and CMK like Shock, Summoning, Lucky Day, Ghaleon, Fugee, Big Eric(NEC), Sweet Johnny Cage, LI Joe... the list can go on and on... it's players like these people who add to community, either by playing and promoting UMK3 and MK in general at tournaments, by owning a website dedicated to Mortal Kombat, or supporting the MK scene by making sure that MK in some form is represented as a headline tournament in National Major tournaments like Winter Brawl, East Coast Throwdown, Road To Evo, Summer Jam, Season's Beatings, and North East Championships.... not to mention countless local tournaments and offline get togethers orchestrated and organized by local scene members...

I also don't give a rat's ass if you don't care about the tournament scene... it would be great if you do, but you seem quite content to sit on your ass and be a keyboard cowboy calling everyone here a power hungry fool.

Some of us here have earned enough respect that we are considered staff at these Major tournaments. As a matter of fact, take out the fact that we all WANT to be there to support not only the scene and our FRIENDS, but do you even realize that some people in this community have gotten to a point where they are expected to show at a tournament...even if they didn't want to(like that would really happen...LOL)?

You aren't even aware of how hard we all work... the effort, time, patience, money, sweat... that we all put into this.

You don't get it, Booya... do you? I don't expect you to... you're a real classless act... Shape up, or I WILL ship you out.

Feeling I should speak up here. I've only been in this "official" community for a little while now (I was lurking UMK about a month ago before signing up anywhere), but I wanted to put out a heart-felt (it's in there somewhere I promise) to everyone here, there, CMK, and any site that carried the community before them for keeping this alive.
I'm one of those that marked I'm not currently active, but I want to be. And really I do, but getting something like this running has never been my strong point. So I'm really thankful to be able to pull from the experience here to see what can be done.
Thank you all again.

BOSSETTE

Noob
I really appreciate what everyone has offered to this site. The site has allowed me to meet new people and learn more about fighting games and the community, 'er I mean Kommunity. ;)
I have just recently been thinking about and wanting to be part of the offline scene as well and by the looks of it, the past tournaments and meet-ups seem like they have been really fun for others and I'm anxious to see what it'll be like for me.
I am really looking forward to what TYM will be like in the future, for it is already growing by each second. For example, look at the first post of this thread and its many thanks and how much that number has increased from day one of this site's appearance.
If it weren't for TYM, I would be missing out on a lot of entertainment, news, and connections, so I am very glad to take part here. :)

people are getting sentimental at this thread well i guess i can do that as well

a very special thanks to storms he was the guy who got me to join mko back in mkd he knew what to say and he used the magic words ''all the good players are there, you belong there'' this is how all started for me.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
people are getting sentimental at this thread well i guess i can do that as well

a very special thanks to storms he was the guy who got me to join mko back in mkd he knew what to say and he used the magic words ''all the good players are there, you belong there'' this is how all started for me.
wow, I had no idea...

Did you know, you were the first top player I ever beat when I realized that I reached a high level game?

I clearly remember because I was happy... lol The score was 10 - 9 and I barely won.

wow, I had no idea...

Did you know, you were the first top player I ever beat when I realized that I reached a high level game?

I clearly remember because I was happy... lol The score was 10 - 9 and I barely won.
yea i remember that series it was after i got back to play mka again i think it was dan who told me to play you. '' i was like wtf who is this guy his sareena is very good ''