What's new

WB using MK as a marketing platform taking out iconic chars and giving us BS because they need money

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
That is a toxic way of going about it. Some of y'all are so obsessed with this community shit that you'd basically do anything to get people to join. You already have a big enough player base and the best selling fighting game. Why would you go this way of doing it
I don't consider hoping other players are intrigued by the game and give it a shot a toxic way of building community. I want to see our community grow and often times guest characters are a great way to do it.

and one more thing I find it weird how anti guest characters the nrs scene has been as of late. when I see crazy guest characters get announced for other fighters like soul calibur, tekken, and smash they're almost always celebrated. guest are good for the scene, hell I promise you that we're gonna get a ton of new players in our scene when these guest characters drop

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
“WE WANT MK CHARACTERS”
proceeds to cite copy pasted 3D nobodies from the source material

Uh huh...

If I went to a consumer base and said, “who’d you rather play in MK11, Joker or Jarek?” Which one do you think people would lean towards?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm more excited for Joker and Spawn than any of the MK characters in the Kombat Pack.
Maybe warner bros needs another game with movie characters only so ppl who like these characters can have them all in one game without the need of entering other universe, which i think it would be far better, we could add any movie character from WB movies they feel like, and MK would still be MK without guests and Ed Boon would receive less characters requests.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
To be fair, everyone wants to make money. Disney is no different. If you're big like WB and Disney, you do what brings in the dough. That and NRS has a history of making great guest characters shine, even if I don't like some of them they do a great job.

PeNNyw1ZE_TDC

Master level Noob
Don't think of them as guest characters. Think of them as brand new MK characters. If you only want old characters then we will never get new ones. And besides, don't act like the guest characters in MKX weren't awesome.

I don't consider hoping other players are intrigued by the game and give it a shot a toxic way of building community. I want to see our community grow and often times guest characters are a great way to do it.

and one more thing I find it weird how anti guest characters the nrs scene has been as of late. when I see crazy guest characters get announced for other fighters like soul calibur, tekken, and smash they're almost always celebrated. guest are good for the scene, hell I promise you that we're gonna get a ton of new players in our scene when these guest characters drop
Guest character does not equal player retention. Most of the time it'll just be, guest character I like is in fighting game. That was a nice couple of days spent with this character, time to move on. Fighting games should be drawing in players based on it's own merits. Some of the people you're seeing disgruntled about guest characters is because they're tired of nrs/wb shoehorning in guests when they could be getting more mk characters. Smash is also not a fighting game. It's pretty much guest character the video game at this point. Smash absolutely does not have to try to maintain player retention. That's how strong the staying power of smash is

These anti-guest-dlc threads gotta stop. Nrs gave us a full mk game with a full story, modes, original charaters etc. Whatever they do after charging for aditional content, that you DON'T have to buy, is their business. Guests lure in new people, who may not be fans of the franchise. Also, there's also potential for kp2, so chill.
It's true, you don't have to buy it,

But if you don't buy it you still have to play against Joker in an MK game and I'm personally not interested. I didn't like Freddy, or Jason, or Alien either, but at least they could almost fit into the game world... Joker is... real dumb. It's on another level.

NRS makes content. Consumers critique content. Criticism is opinion

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
all guests made so far since MK9 , are all well done, well built , and they make them in a way that they fit the gore aura and violent environment proposal of the game .... and all are pure homage to these classical characters from movies, so, nothing against, since :

1. they are optional DLC you are not obligated to buy
  2. they don't interfere in the cannon lore of MK story continuation
  3. they help the game to sell and bring attention for new customers
  4. majority of MK fan base, like these characters on their original source media , where they come from, so, ending accepting more or less they being part of the game, based, overall in the final result NRS do on this characters, being well made and with cool intros , movesets and fatalities on their own

Last edited:

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Guest DLC outsells the normal Mortal Kombat DLC. It is a requirement at this point to have guest characters. I'd rather play as The Joker than Fujin or Havik or (heh) Dairou. At this point the MK/Injustice universes are connected so The Joker's inclusion makes sense. I'm happy with our guest characters. Well done WB etc.