What's new

Was this win cheap? Should I be ashamed?

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
To the original poster.

While a win is still a win. We're overlooking the main principle of why. I like to view it like poker, pulling a win using luck is kind of like an empty win, means nothing. But I'll take it ;-). If I pull a win off a lucky guess, who's to say I can do the same next time around.

Online lag, really changes the dynamics of the game, heck, its not even the same game anymore. MK9 lag version. You can't be too happy or sad with online win or loses. Just chalk it up as another means of practice.

On the bright side, you taught the scorpion player about Mileena's D4. If your really felling bad about it, hopefully you told him afterwards to crouch block.

aj1701

Noob
Excuse me for being bored of watching d4, repeatedly, in the corner.
It deserves a 10, IMO. If d4 is all you need to win, why bother with something you could screw up if your opponent is too stupid to block?

Don't give zeros to winners, they're playing to win after all, hate the one too stupid to block repeated d4s.

I see your point about wanting to ham it up for KotH, but I'd rather become / stay king over enteraining. And I'd laugh if I really saw someone unable to escape d4..

Ayx

Omnipresent
I wouldn't blame anyone, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I would give the other guy a 0 as well, as he can't press the block button, but we can only offer points to the winner.

To be fair, one of the main points of KotH is to entertain. Kind of why they have the "Respect Points" in place.

I also want to point out that many of us do modify how we fight, especially in KotH. Who here isn't guilty of going for that Babality during a KotH, at least once or twice?
Yeah, not if the player has 5+ Wins in a Row. I try hard against him first and then if the other players are novices, I'll try to earn style points.

Giving a 0 for winning the last round in that fashion is kinda low, considering that it's Winning 1st, Style Points 2nd in KoTH

Why are the respect points even bothering people at all? I mean, I'll see players i know and respect personally and still give them nothing just cause I'm doing something else away from the screen. Or I might just press the X button, (giving them a five), just to get rid of the screen asap. Or sometimes I'll be creative and give just the amount of points to add up to an odd number.

I've given 0.0s to good matches and 10s to disconnects. In no way does that mean any kind of disrespect on my part. I just wanna get to the next match. Especially if I am waiting in a 6 man line.

I always reply the same way when I get hatemail

"Find the block button on your controller and use it. If you can't, trade the game in and quit"
I like using "I'm sorry that you lost. Try blocking next time. Good players destroy me, so the problem must be you."

So far I've had a 100% shut up rate using that.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Absolutely cheap as hell.

what are they gonna do? jump? ... and go face first into Mileena's teleport which leads to a combo?

try to burn meter for EX armor that won't even hit her and will most likely be stuffed by the D+4 anyway?

Hell, mid-screen that move is amazing. You can't jump in or crossover when they are doing it repeatedly. Only a select number of projectiles will hit. (ie Sindel's, Jade's, Noob's). Moves like sub-zero's slide will be stuffed.

Honestly, it's a pretty ridiculous move.

but hey, if you're cool with being an ass. Go for it... it's still a win.

redeyes

Button Masher

what are they gonna do? jump? ... and go face first into Mileena's teleport which leads to a combo?

try to burn meter for EX armor that won't even hit her and will most likely be stuffed by the D+4 anyway?

Hell, mid-screen that move is amazing. You can't jump in or crossover when they are doing it repeatedly. Only a select number of projectiles will hit. (ie Sindel's, Jade's, Noob's). Moves like sub-zero's slide will be stuffed.

dont be mad

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I pretty much agree with the majority of people saying that the Scorpion player was an idiot. I can't remember the last time I was "trapped" due to a characters D4...maybe once, then I learned my lesson. Let's just be real here people; it's incredibly easy to avoid cheap spam. In fact, someone who is truly "spamming" is engaging in an incredibly unintelligent tactic that can and should be punished EASILY. A lot of inexperienced players confuse "spam" for "mix up/ zoning/ ming game tactics". True spam, in my modest opinion, is blindly repeating ONE move over and over again without rhyme or reason and with no general tactic in mind. Do you know how easy it is to expose this type of play? Very.
However, I must say, it's quite odd just how many people out there have a preference of fighting style for THEIR OPPONENT. I main Kitana, Sindel, and Sheeva (three characters with the worst reputation, especially online) I know all of their combos, moves, strategies and I'm quite creative, especially with Sindel. The hate mail I get for these characters is beyond my comprehension, lol. One time, right after "Round 1, FIGHT" I went into Kitana's F2, 1 combo launcher and did a 48%combo and the guy left the match and then sent me a message stating, "I don't have time for noob Kitana spammers"....ummm, how is a legit combo spam much less a "noob" move? People are always complaining about other playstyles and whatnot...I have a suggestion for these losers, how about you inform all and everyone you are about to play on just how you want your opponent to fight! Kind of like a singles ad, "I prefer long walks on the beach, GreyGoose Vodka, and for my opponents in MK9 to not use any special moves more than once in a round and no combos exceding 3 hits." These people are lame!! Lol /end rant :)

dash d1/d3 into special move/throw

We need a better practice mode where you can set the opponent to do certain moves or strings over and over. That way I could practice D+1, and D+4 into a special.
Ya know... if you block D4 you can poke her back with your own D4 most of the time. Even if you can't... it does less than 1% chip.

If you have absolutely no idea what else to do, (counter poke, Jump kick, etc) you can simply block it until they do something else... And they will do something else.

I'm a total random within this community but I'm going to say something that I haven't seen said in this thread yet..

How did he manage to destroy you in round 1 without knowing where the block button was? Why didn't you break out some D4's in round 1 if he was dumb enough not to block low?

Just wondering..

chem

aj1701

Noob
Why are the respect points even bothering people at all? I mean, I'll see players i know and respect personally and still give them nothing just cause I'm doing something else away from the screen. Or I might just press the X button, (giving them a five), just to get rid of the screen asap. Or sometimes I'll be creative and give just the amount of points to add up to an odd number.

I've given 0.0s to good matches and 10s to disconnects. In no way does that mean any kind of disrespect on my part. I just wanna get to the next match. Especially if I am waiting in a 6 man line.
This BS line again, getting to the next match faster? Its a 10 second count down, no matter how long it takes people to vote.

Phazael

It's Official. I Suck.
There are a lot of things that are virtually impossible to defend in online lag. Mileena D4 is not one of them. Plus, he is one of a billion scorpion flowchart players, from the sound of it. Like all flowchart teleporters in online, once you got his pattern down he was helpless. Raiden pushing you in the corner and trapping you with kickkickkickmymothersfromLA is way worse. So is reptile dash spam. Or Cyrax bomb traps. If the guy could not handle the concept of down block, then he is going to rage quit every time he plays Raiden, KL, Reptile, or Cyrax anyhow.

?

OK, let me lay out the scenario and you tell me if I should be ashamed of this win.

I went into my King of the Hill matchup against a player that was dominating everybody. Against me he was Scorpion and completely owned me in Round 1. In round 2 I legitimately won...nothing could be considered cheap.

Then in Round 3 we were even in energy (about a quarter of health gone) when he got caught in a corner. I started D4'ing him and he couldn't get out. Mileena's D4 had frame advantage on his teleport and he couldn't escape. I literally kept doing this D4 until he died and I won the match.

Was this cheap, should I be ashamed?

I look at it as I am not good enough to take wins for granted. I took what I could get.

Opinions?
there is something i find really strange about your post. if he was at 75% of his health you would think he had already acces to either breaker or xray before he died. hmmm...

This BS line again, getting to the next match faster? Its a 10 second count down, no matter how long it takes people to vote.
Yo, what's your problem? At no point did I say anything about getting to the next match faster. You clearly missed the point of my post.

aj1701

Noob
Or I might just press the X button, (giving them a five), just to get rid of the screen asap. ..snip... I just wanna get to the next match. Especially if I am waiting in a 6 man line.
Yo, what's your problem? At no point did I say anything about getting to the next match faster. You clearly missed the point of my post.
If I misinterperated, or missed the point, I apologize. Hopefully the lines I quoted help you see where I'm coming from though.

I do understand the points you've made, and I know you have other reasons for giving the numbers you do besides what I've quoted. Its just online, I get it, but at the same time that's the only connection some of us will have to each other, at least for the foreseeable future. They're respect points, so from my point of view I give 10s to those at this site to show respect for fellow TYMers. I know, its silly, but I think it helps build community. Something better than nothing.

For now, online's all I got, and I'm really trying to work with what I have to improve. I guess sometimes all the bashing of "online warriors" gets to me.

If I misinterperated, or missed the point, I apologize. Hopefully the lines I quoted help you see where I'm coming from though.

I do understand the points you've made, and I know you have other reasons for giving the numbers you do besides what I've quoted. Its just online, I get it, but at the same time that's the only connection some of us will have to each other, at least for the foreseeable future. They're respect points, so from my point of view I give 10s to those at this site to show respect for fellow TYMers. I know, its silly, but I think it helps build community. Something better than nothing.

For now, online's all I got, and I'm really trying to work with what I have to improve. I guess sometimes all the bashing of "online warriors" gets to me.
Fair enough. I do try to give 10s most of the time, but all I was saying was that the respect points are just numbers, and may have no connection to the person's actual respect. Basically, just because I don't give a 10 doesn't mean I think you suck or I'm raging.

As for the online warrior thing, I'm pretty much in a similar boat. Most of my practice comes from online as well. I wasn't bashing online players in general with anything I've said.

i did the same thing two days ago against a scorpion, wonder if it was the same guy hahahhahahaha. seriously though, he could have blocked low.

I have played many times since the fight mentioned in this post, and the D4 in the corner has never worked again.

They just block and Mileena will eventually move further away giving my opponent a chance to do a move.

I still can't believe I won that match...it hasn't worked since!