What's new

Strategy Video - Getting Massacred. How do I get Better?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Wow, that's a large appendix. I'll be sure to go through it. Thanks a lot for the help! I've been watching Takeda combos videos and got a few nice ideas like canceling into a special from d+f1, and mixing up the high low game.

But I still regularly mess up combos is actual play, even though I can do them just fine in practice mode. That's one reason why I still need to play online - the adrenaline rush forces errors. Like when I play the piano alone, the piece comes out fine. As soon as I have a real audience, my hands sweat, and I mess up stuff. The only solution to that is to burn the combos in even harder into my mind, and play regular people online...

Right now I'm still at a stage where I'm learning everything I can do with my own character, as opposed to what the other guy can do. Some stuff I get form painful experience of course, like in the video Jason has some weird move that reverses the controls!
Atta boy. ;)

The reason your hands sweat and you mess stuff up is because you weren't practicing much. Practice makes perfection, they say. For each combo, try doing that 10 out of 10. If you mess even once, try it again. This is how I had practicing my combos here and there. And speaking of music stuff, to make a perfect score, you need to be in rehearsal a lot. When you feel that you got the score off by heart, you can play it perfectly (I speak it by experience as a musician). The same goes for the combos there. Some of the combos are hard, but with more practice you will have them perfected without problems. This is why I told you to avoid the online stuff for a while. You need firstly to be sure that you got all of the combos you want to implement in your gameplay without fail, and then you can try them in the online. Just consider them as a test before the actual one.

A tip: Never be in a freezing environment. You don't want your hands frozen, thus suppressing you from moving quite well. This happens to me a lot and this is why I drop my combos in the middle. You want to be at a average temperature (not hot to be sweaty, not cold to be freezing). ;)

As for Jason, you mean the Blood Mist. This Blood Mist (red screen) is the reason that all the controls are being messed up. Just press down and hit the kick or punch, and spam this a lot. You'll know why later. This is what we call experience. You need the experience to know how to deal against them. The practice is the knowledge. You need the knowledge to master your character.

Have fun. ;)

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Didn't get through the whole video and not sure if it was said yet, but one thing I noticed (that a lot of newer online players do as well) is mashing D2 in every situation. Even when he wasn't anywhere close to you, you still mashed out D2 after missing a kunai.

ToX

Noob
Lasher is a good character and pretty simple to use but you should pick up Slasher Jason or GM Sub to get some wins and boost your confidence, the strategy for those characters is so simple that it helps you overall. i picked this game up over a week ago and did that and im 273 / 40 in a ranked right now

Matix218

Get over here!
Atta boy. ;)

The reason your hands sweat and you mess stuff up is because you weren't practicing much. Practice makes perfection, they say. For each combo, try doing that 10 out of 10. If you mess even once, try it again. This is how I had practicing my combos here and there. And speaking of music stuff, to make a perfect score, you need to be in rehearsal a lot. When you feel that you got the score off by heart, you can play it perfectly (I speak it by experience as a musician). The same goes for the combos there. Some of the combos are hard, but with more practice you will have them perfected without problems. This is why I told you to avoid the online stuff for a while. You need firstly to be sure that you got all of the combos you want to implement in your gameplay without fail, and then you can try them in the online. Just consider them as a test before the actual one.

A tip: Never be in a freezing environment. You don't want your hands frozen, thus suppressing you from moving quite well. This happens to me a lot and this is why I drop my combos in the middle. You want to be at a average temperature (not hot to be sweaty, not cold to be freezing). ;)

As for Jason, you mean the Blood Mist. This Blood Mist (red screen) is the reason that all the controls are being messed up. Just press down and hit the kick or punch, and spam this a lot. You'll know why later. This is what we call experience. You need the experience to know how to deal against them. The practice is the knowledge. You need the knowledge to master your character.

Have fun. ;)
Oh man the cold hands thing is so true, it totally destroys your execution when your hands are cold

Ozzy_K

Death waits for a slightest lapse in concentration
Do more footage and post here. It's kinda interesting to see how people progress and analyze matches )

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Wow, that's a large appendix. I'll be sure to go through it. Thanks a lot for the help! I've been watching Takeda combos videos and got a few nice ideas like canceling into a special from d+f1, and mixing up the high low game.

But I still regularly mess up combos is actual play, even though I can do them just fine in practice mode. That's one reason why I still need to play online - the adrenaline rush forces errors. Like when I play the piano alone, the piece comes out fine. As soon as I have a real audience, my hands sweat, and I mess up stuff. The only solution to that is to burn the combos in even harder into my mind, and play regular people online...

Right now I'm still at a stage where I'm learning everything I can do with my own character, as opposed to what the other guy can do. Some stuff I get form painful experience of course, like in the video Jason has some weird move that reverses the controls!
If I have trouble in a set, I go into practice mode and learn how to read and react to his attacks. I always start by simply learning how to block them. Then, I work on reading and reacting to best counter them.

Start by understanding that blocking in MKX is a skill unique to NRS titles. Block by holding block and down to block low and just hold block for overheads. Most new players tend to hold back or down back too, but that's going to mess you up. Once you learn to block properly, you will easily beat anyone who hasn't learned this skill yet. It will also at least make your defense a challenge to break down for veteran players. They will need to fool you to break through. They might chip you to death and you may not know when its your turn all the time, but at least they will have to work for it - and that will put you on the path to learning.

Bhagwad

Noob
Do more footage and post here. It's kinda interesting to see how people progress and analyze matches )
Here's my latest match with Takeda. Do you think my tactics are a bit spammy? As in, they might get predictable. On the other hand, I want to keep up the pressure and I try mixing up the high/low game to keep people guessing...

Match starts at 0:56...

Last edited:

Ozzy_K

Here's my latest match with Takeda. Do you think my tactics are a bit spammy? As in, they might get predictable. On the other hand, I want to keep up the pressure and I try mixing up the high/low game to keep people guessing...

Match starts at 0:56...

Ok, great.
Now I think you should go and try to practice these combos in the training mode:
b21/b3 (overhead or low srarter) xx db2 MB * - NJP - 44 xx bf2 ~ 32% health
b21/b3 xx bf2 MB ** - NJP - 44 xx bf2 MB in the end - 44 bf2 ~ 32% health

* meterburned db2 launches the opponent
** meterburn in the end of the bf2 move (Whip Assault) to extend, also launches the opponent

KrAdWeLL

Noob
Ok, great.
Now I think you should go and try to practice these combos in the training mode:
b21/b3 (overhead or low srarter) xx db2 MB * - NJP - 44 xx bf2 ~ 32% health
b21/b3 xx bf2 MB ** - NJP - 44 xx bf2 MB in the end - 44 bf2 ~ 32% health

* meterburned db2 launches the opponent
** meterburn in the end of the bf2 move (Whip Assault) to extend, also launches the opponent
Atta boy. ;)

Have fun. ;)
This is important "don't have cold hands"

I seriously wonder why no one does this before matches.

Bhagwad

Noob
Here's another video of me being massacred by Liu Kang:

Match starts at 0:50

Few things:

1. I tried to punish, and succeeded a couple of times. But because I didn't know when his strings ended, I either ended my block too early, or too late, giving him free pressure.

2. Holy shit, that metered combo in the corner! (first round)

3. The only time I managed to get a string going, he broke out of it :p

4. I keep trying to break him out in the corner towards the end. Takeda's fastest attack is d1, but I'm not able to him him with it - probably because he's started inputting the combo. What do I do in such a situation?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Now you made me try him out to see how strong he is.

With so few inputs I can already do 30% and 34% damage combos.

Ozzy_K

Keep practicing.
Read the Takeda guides on the forum.
Use pokes to get out of pressure and create opportunity (if they hit, see hit advantage frames in the table below) to start your own offence (because many of Takeda's moves are slow). After d4 on hit you have the time to start b2 or b3 mixup.
Practice some combos, you can fing them in Takeda's threads on the site.
This is useful post:
https://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-read-understand-and-calculate-frame-data-in-mkx.49708/
These are useful links:
https://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-frame-data-project.55865/
http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Latest-Updates/Patch-Notes-10-4-16/ba-p/1297392
Remember, you can only punish the move if the frames of it it on block are less then the startup of the first move (normal) of your string.