What's new

very strict combos and negative edge

negative edge

ive noticed that this game feel more clunky than mkx for example im holding down for like 2 seconds then do f1 and i have a special coming out,,, and if i input my combo too fast it wont complete the dial combos and cancel to a super.

strict combos

what the point of having super strict timing like the b3 of robin after db2 mb and b3 of wonderwoman after f23
i know its high damaging combos but why so strict when other characters have brain dead combos that do the same damage or more ? should we focus more on the strategy more than the execution ?

I'm also playing with a 144hz monitor so no input lag involved cause this game on a big tv is impossible to play.

sorry for my bad english , im currious of what you guys think.

you can flame me "get gud" or "practice" but thats not the point of course im adapting and trying my best still but its just frustrating to me.

*Edited my release check is set to off

Last edited:

G11OST

Noob
Glad someone else noticed, thought I was tripping.

And even if u de-select negative edge it's still busted as hell by default.
No one liked it in mk9, igau1, or mkx, and it wasn't even that nd in those games. I'm surprise more people aren't complaining. Negative edge most dumbest shit in a fighting game.

Thank you for posting this, also before some else, git gud nub.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
1st, turn off negative edge and also turn off input shortcuts (unless you're using a character that you want to use instant air fireballs with).

Also, high execution requirements are fine imo. It allows us to appreciate players with exceptional execution and separates the men from the boys.

If you can't execute certain things with a character after patience and practice, then either settle for sub-optimal play or pick an easier character.

G11OST

Noob
1st, turn off negative edge and also turn off input shortcuts (unless you're using a character that you want to use instant air fireballs with).

Also, high execution requirements are fine imo. It allows us to appreciate players with exceptional execution and separates the men from the boys.

If you can't execute certain things with a character after patience and practice, then either settle for sub-optimal play or pick an easier character.

Of course you can learn to deal with it, doesn't change the fact that the shit stupid. Sure, your a grown man if you can pull off a combo, if that's what floats your boat.

thanks for your suggestions but i dont think this is a good solution i think the DEV should adjust the window for a bit more frame

RemainSolid

It don’t always be like it is... but it do.
I hate it too. The best thing you can do right now is turn on alternate controls and get a feel for it. You should be fine after.

Reactions: GAV

RemainSolid

It don’t always be like it is... but it do.
I hate it too. The best thing you can do right now is turn on alternate controls and get a feel for it. You should be fine after a bit of practice with it.

negative edge

ive noticed that this game feel more clunky than mkx for example im holding down for like 2 seconds then do f1 and i have a special coming out,,, and if i input my combo too fast it wont complete the dial combos and cancel to a super.

strict combos

what the point of having super strict timing like the b3 of robin after db2 mb and b3 of wonderwoman after f23
i know its high damaging combos but why so strict when other characters have brain dead combos that do the same damage or more ? should we focus more on the strategy more than the execution ?

I'm also playing with a 144hz monitor so no input lag involved cause this game on a big tv is impossible to play.

you can flame me "get gud" or "practice" but thats not the point of course im adapting and trying my best still but its just frustrating to me.

You edited your release check/negative edge to off after your comment, so what is the issue?

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Of course you can learn to deal with it, doesn't change the fact that the shit stupid. Sure, your a grown man if you can pull off a combo, if that's what floats your boat.
How exactly is stricter execution stupid? Execution barriers have been in fighting games since the beginning of time. Some characters have an easier time pulling off combos than others. This has always been the case. There's nothing wrong with making certain combo combinations difficult to pull off.

Execution in fighting games is and always will be a skill. It separates good players from great players in many games.

negative edge

strict combos

Doing the b3 is easier If you delay your MB

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Honestly I never liked the fact that even with alternate controls on you have to reset to a neutral position when trying to cancel a crouching normal. I understand why that system is in place for normal controls but alternate controls solves the accidental input by requiring a diagonal input in between the down and back/forward.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Number 1 Steve Rodgers - I live for the clunk. I die for the clunk...

so i guess sonicfox and hayatei and reo are just good players then cause at combo breaker/on twitch,etc, ive seen them droping it a lot

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with this. Some of the combos in this game are just so difficult to do that I don't even bother trying to use the character.

Some of the combos in the game have difficult timing, but after you use them a bit you get the timing down. Examples for me would be Gorilla Grodd's B3 mid combo and Scarecrow's B3 mid combo.

Other's are just so strict with timing that even after using them a lot I still can't get it consistently. Examples of this would be Wonder Woman's F2, 3 into B3 and Poison Ivy's DB2 MB into F3.

Also, Gorilla Grodd's stampede cancel is impossible. In MKX I was pretty good at run cancelling, but I can't get Gorilla Grodd's stampede cancel mid combo at all.

Making combo execution a little easier would have very little effect on the pro scene. Pro players aren't pros just because they can do combos (I can do combos and I am definitely nowhere close to being a pro). They are pros because of their knowledge of the game and how to play it. They know what to do in the neutral, they know how to get in, they know how to play against zoners.

PS- Thanks to the person who started this great thread.

DeftMonk

Noob
Ya some of the combos are rediculous. Gorilla grodd has several combos that are a giant pain in the ass. Also (for me anyway) landing a f23 after f233 on swampy is a bit too tight imo just to name a few.

Btw love that the first guy to say something along the lines of git gud is using badam. A fuckin monkey can do badams combos.

G11OST

Noob
https://testyourmight.com/threads/unintended-dashes-backdashes.64203/

Thread about dashes, same issue resulting from negative edge except comes out with alternate controls.

To be honest I really don't think combo timing is too big of an issue, precise timings and frames will always have a place in fighting games.

My problem is with the game overriding your inputs and causing a different input to come out. Execution has nothing to do with it, u can verify inputs in practice. This game just buffers the hell out of your moves. The buffer needs to be toned down to at least match past NRS games. Like I said before the shit stupid. If I don't put in the inputs for a move it shouldn't come out, I don't care how u spin it.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Having hard execution requirements in the game is fine (although most of the hard requirements involved are with the worse characters balance wise so that kind of makes their issues more prominent). It just takes some practice to get the timings down. I haven't found anything that was harder than some of the stuff in MKX.

The input delay on the other hand makes some characters almost unusable. I can't tell you how many times as cold I would stand from crouching, wait almost a full second, and STILL get ice armor instead of charging trait. The game holds on to your down back input for so damn long that you basically can't punish a lot of moves or play effective neutral because you have to wait two seconds until you do anything after a crouch block. That is terrible and anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves. Worst aspect of the game by far.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Whyyyyyyyyyyy are Black Adam and Deadshot players up in this thread talkin' about "Execution barriers are good"???
Execution barriers are in every fighting game. Some characters will be harder to play, that's just the way it is. The only issue is that many of these higher execution characters pale in comparison to the easier top tier characters even when played optimally. But there are many FGs where there are high execution characters and it is super hype to watch someone put in the work and consistently hit those tight links.