What's new

[UPDATED w/ Top 6] Frosty Faustings Mortal Kombat Update

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Smargasm outplayed me, he didn't drop anything, used good spacing and kept his cool. I did none of those things.Had nothing to do with that matchup or anyone else besides Smargasm. I didn't play well and he took advantage of it.

Top 6 coming up is Tom vs 16 bit, loser plays pimpimjim and Pig vs Soonk, loser plays me.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Okay, so what I was told was slightly incorrect. The CORRECT top 6 has been updated with both Winners and Losers*

NEC gets blown up yet it streamed all pools and had 8 setups. Meanwhile other tournaments stream top 3-8 with minimal setups and it's cool
FF isn't so much a community major like NEC was... FF is a guilty gear major with heavy preference given to Anime games. That's unfair to compare them, especially when it's only 1/4 of the size of NEC

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
UPDATE again from GGA Han: Pig defeats Soonk and sends him to losers to fight Dizzy.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Because its not a normal grassroots major, what are you not getting.

However their main stream is not good, couldnt even watch it.
Why wouldn't they allow a MK stream. My point is at NEC MK had their OWN stream and it's a shit tournament that no one should go to according to TYM.

mu charts just are a no no tbh, they are just to hard to agree upon completely, i doubt even street fighter got a completely agreed upon list bcuz all the top players tier list look different.
how long has sf4 been out, they have had patches and extra characters added but still the same game basically even now people dont know lots of matchups.

yes indeed, ppl still dnt know mus after almost 5 yrs lmao, so we know this game isn't set and stone for sure.
The top players in AE know every matchup. And tier lists are almost completely agreed upon. Everyone knows Cammy, Akuma, and Seth are S tier.

MK has way more viable characters than most of the current gen fighters, so even if it was set in stone, it's one of the most balanced games around.

The problem with wanting to further balance this game is that the obvious glaring problems with it cannot be fixed because the fixes would require move specific damage scaling reset timers, which this game obviously doesn't have.

Example - You can't entirely get rid of bomb trap resets without screwing the damage reset timers of several other moves. All you would have to do is make the damage reset timer slightly longer than it takes for a bomb to explode so that you couldn't continue a juggle and the scaling would cap off a non - reset combo significantly lower than the damage it currently does. But, again, you can't implement such timing because the game doesn't have move specific timers (which is by far my #1 thing it needs for MK10).

What can be fixed though is certain frame advantages. It makes no sense whatsoever to allow chip damage on normals in a game that is chocked full of frame traps. Specific frame traps don't need to be mentioned. We all know what they are. "Lol" I have meter and you blocked a normal with 40% health letft.. GG." That shit needs to be gone.

The top players in AE know every matchup. And tier lists are almost completely agreed upon. Everyone knows Cammy, Akuma, and Seth are S tier.

MK has way more viable characters than most of the current gen fighters, so even if it was set in stone, it's one of the most balanced games around.

The problem with wanting to further balance this game is that the obvious glaring problems with it cannot be fixed because the fixes would require move specific damage scaling reset timers, which this game obviously doesn't have.

Example - You can't entirely get rid of bomb trap resets without screwing the damage reset timers of several other moves. All you would have to do is make the damage reset timer slightly longer than it takes for a bomb to explode so that you couldn't continue a juggle and the scaling would cap off a non - reset combo significantly lower than the damage it currently does. But, again, you can't implement such timing because the game doesn't have move specific timers (which is by far my #1 thing it needs for MK10).

What can be fixed though is certain frame advantages. It makes no sense whatsoever to allow chip damage on normals in a game that is chocked full of frame traps. Specific frame traps don't need to be mentioned. We all know what they are. "Lol" I have meter and you blocked a normal with 40% health letft.. GG." That shit needs to be gone.
not necessarily in street fighter, i remember daigo had a match vs xian in a grand finals in china and lost to his gen, the game had be out for about 4 yrs at that time/ xian won a major with gen. Heck at evo, infiltration ran a train on everyone and akuma is one of the most known characters in the game, but that credit should go to infiltration for that domination. The top chars are known mostly in any game for sure, but the bottom chars ppl still need to learn those mus better. Also chip isn't bad bcuz in some games ppl will just get away with just blocking your stuff and not taking dmg, which just in my opinion, doesn't make sense anyways if you are getting hit and just blocking all day with no dmg taken, either way chip dmg makes this game unique. I do like that mk top 8s always have multiple chars, shows that even with chars like kabal and etc., it's the player that matters the most.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Also chip isn't bad bcuz in some games ppl will just get away with just blocking your stuff and not taking dmg, which just in my opinion, doesn't make sense anyways if you are getting hit and just blocking all day with no dmg taken, either way chip dmg makes this game unique.
I agree.. People shouldn't be able to turtle excessively. If you dislike losing heath, get off your butt and initiate some offense :p

haha... The game has ridiculous amounts of chip damage from normals, and in some cases those same normals lead to completely jailing frame traps that force you to block, combined with throw teching mechanics that are absolute shit, and you guys think that's ok? lol..

"get off your ass and generate some offense." I never said anything about turtling. You don't need to be turtling to block one normal sometimes. Do you play this game without ever pressing block?

With meter there are normals tht can be a guaranteed 40% or more even if they are blocked. It's absolutely crazy that people don't see this as a completely terrible mechanic.

EX Rune should knock you down. Cage's EX fireball should have more recovery.