What's new

Update on the Mortal Kombat Movie (It's Still Happening)

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
The Resident Evil animation movies (not the real people movies) are actually really fun. I would welcome any animated Mortal Kombat over a real actor movie, simply because they can do a lot more with animations than with real actors.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
You keep talking about knowing the lore and how Jeremy Jahns opinion is more important then these other critics because he is a true MK fan. Why does that matter? Didn't we establish that a movie needs to stand on its own? The general movie audience, who knows nothing about MK, should be able to sit down and enjoy the movie. If your argument is that you have to be a MK fan to like this movie then i am sorry to tell you, its not a good movie. I could let my father, who is 70 years old, watch The Dark Knight and he would like it and he knows jack shit about the comics. You know why? Cause its a good movie regardless of the fact that it is a comicbook movie. Show the MK movie to anybody that isnt familiar with the franchise and they will laugh in your face. Its that bad if you don't have a PHD in Mortal Kombat history and Nostalgia hasn't completely blinded your objectivity. Also since you are so hung up on Jeremy Jahns. I am pretty sure he said if you are not familiar with the franchise, the movie is a good time if you are drunk. Yeah that a real seal of approval there buddy. I have said my peace and you have said yours. We clearly don't see eye to eye. No point in continuing this back and forth.
I never said his was more important, but I said his is more credible being as how he actually follows the MK mythos. Let me ask you, if you made a series, and you had critics judging it. Wouldn't you want them to at least have decent/basic knowledge of whatever you created? or would you just want someone totally ignorant judging your work without any knowledge, info etc? I would say the general movie audience would know probably more than the average critic honestly, because the average movie goer is a casual gamer I'd be willing to bet. Like who doesn't know MK or SF from a casual point of view if you're a casual gamer? You're entitled to your opinion but you'd still be in the minority as majority love the movie, so I'd say it's a good movie. There's also Rebirth, Legacy, even Conquest(for what it was) had a solid following and positive feedback compared to other web series on vid games. But I digress.

My dad is roughly the same age, he used to read comics mostly DC but again even by NOW if you don't read comics I would say a bum on the street knows who Batman and Joker are....I mean to be fair they're a lot older than MK and most things for that matter, I would say if you don't know Batman you'd live in a cave. Maybe, or maybe they'd like it? lol Being a fan hasn't blinded me, but I do believe that's also a good reason for people like me to judge it properly. Like I said, MK A was horrible if I was "blinded" as you say I would be praising it as anything MK which clearly isn't the case if you knew me.

But I know when a movie is good, solid and/or entertaining and that's what MK movie is but like I said you're entitled to your opinion even if you're in the minority with it. Jahn's was merely an example of a GOOD, knowledgable critic vs. ignorant pencil pushing critics. I'm pretty sure he also said it was a good movie/not bad and easily the best vid game movie top 2 as well. Whatever man,s ounds like you're cherry picking his words dude. Focusing on anything remotely negative lol ignoring the positive to try to justify your view on why "MK is a shitty movie"

But yes you're correct, you and everyone else here seem to not see eye to eye but that's fine.

But to each his own man, have fun with MK 11.

I never said his was more important, but I said his is more credible being as how he actually follows the MK mythos. Let me ask you, if you made a series, and you had critics judging it. Wouldn't you want them to at least have decent/basic knowledge of whatever you created? or would you just want someone totally ignorant judging your work without any knowledge, info etc? I would say the general movie audience would know probably more than the average critic honestly, because the average movie goer is a casual gamer I'd be willing to bet. Like who doesn't know MK or SF from a casual point of view if you're a casual gamer? You're entitled to your opinion but you'd still be in the minority as majority love the movie, so I'd say it's a good movie. There's also Rebirth, Legacy, even Conquest(for what it was) had a solid following and positive feedback compared to other web series on vid games. But I digress.

My dad is roughly the same age, he used to read comics mostly DC but again even by NOW if you don't read comics I would say a bum on the street knows who Batman and Joker are....I mean to be fair they're a lot older than MK and most things for that matter, I would say if you don't know Batman you'd live in a cave. Maybe, or maybe they'd like it? lol Being a fan hasn't blinded me, but I do believe that's also a good reason for people like me to judge it properly. Like I said, MK A was horrible if I was "blinded" as you say I would be praising it as anything MK which clearly isn't the case if you knew me.

But I know when a movie is good, solid and/or entertaining and that's what MK movie is but like I said you're entitled to your opinion even if you're in the minority with it. Jahn's was merely an example of a GOOD, knowledgable critic vs. ignorant pencil pushing critics. I'm pretty sure he also said it was a good movie/not bad and easily the best vid game movie top 2 as well. Whatever man,s ounds like you're cherry picking his words dude. Focusing on anything remotely negative lol ignoring the positive to try to justify your view on why "MK is a shitty movie"

But yes you're correct, you and everyone else here seem to not see eye to eye but that's fine.

But to each his own man, have fun with MK 11.
I am not in the minority. It's true that most MK fans seem to like the first movie but the vast majority of the general audience doesn't. Just look at the IMDB score. You can dismiss IMDB, if you want but 90,000+ votes is a lot. If you have another source with close to that number in favor of the movie, then please let me know. Otherwise dont say i am in the minority lol. Not that I would care if i was.

And I am sorry but the average moviegoer doesn't know more then average critic lol. If they did movies like Transformers wouldnt make over a billion dollars at the box office. However it is true that most people have heard of batman but i assure you, the majority of people haven't read the comics. Their knowledge about it is superficial at best. And you have to remember comics are mainly popular in the USA. The rest of the world doesnt care nearly as much about them as you think. But still i could show The Dark Knight to someone without prior knowledge of the comics and more likely then not, they will like the movie. Can you honestly say the same about MK?

Also didn't i agree with you and mr. Jahns that it is the best videogame movie a couple posts back? So no i am not cherry picking. But i also said that being the best videogame movie, doesnt say much considering the quality of the other movies in the videogame genre.

Final point: Read the entire thread. There are plenty of people even here, who see eye to eye with me and think the movie is mediocre at best. So dont pretend like the entire thread is siding with you. And this is a MK forum, everybody here is a fan of the franchise. People outside of TYM, wouldnt look nearly as kindly on the movie. But each to his own. Have a nice day.

MKF30

I am not in the minority. It's true that most MK fans seem to like the first movie but the vast majority of the general audience doesn't. Just look at the IMDB score. You can dismiss IMDB, if you want but 90,000+ votes is a lot. If you have another source with close to that number in favor of the movie, then please let me know. Otherwise dont say i am in the minority lol. Not that I would care if i was.

And I am sorry but the average moviegoer doesn't know more then average critic lol. If they did movies like Transformers wouldnt make over a billion dollars at the box office. However it is true that most people have heard of batman but i assure you, the majority of people haven't read the comics. Their knowledge about it is superficial at best. And you have to remember comics are mainly popular in the USA. The rest of the world doesnt care nearly as much about them as you think. But still i could show The Dark Knight to someone without prior knowledge of the comics and more likely then not, they will like the movie. Can you honestly say the same about MK?

Also didn't i agree with you and mr. Jahns that it is the best videogame movie a couple posts back? So no i am not cherry picking. But i also said that being the best videogame movie, doesnt say much considering the quality of the other movies in the videogame genre.

Final point: Read the entire thread. There are plenty of people even here, who see eye to eye with me and think the movie is mediocre at best. So dont pretend like the entire thread is siding with you. And this is a MK forum, everybody here is a fan of the franchise. People outside of TYM, wouldnt look nearly as kindly on the movie. But each to his own. Have a nice day.
Yes you are compared to the rest of the world lol. Most people enjoyed MK one movie, more than not. If you wish I can poll it on here? You keep using IMDB as if it's the word of God yet you're complaining about Jahn's? lol Who actually follows these things. I'm talking majority love it as a whole not based on ONE site man lol. You're lecturing me about RT, Metacritic but apparently think IMDB is better? They're known more for movie star resumes than anything else. I read my local movie critics in my papers, the news, sites they know jack shit 99% of the time when it comes to game movies, comics etc.

Yeah they do, critics know nothing about lore man. Transformers the first one only made that much if I'm not mistaken and it was cause of that, the first one and Bumblebee did well because it actually follows lore. The other movies had issues then there's the whole "omg Bay verse Transformers sucks" people so there's that. Mediocre isn't "bad" though, mediocre is another word for alright, most still felt it was good if you read the "does MK movie still hold up now" thread, if you'd like read it I'll link you if you don't believe me. I was focusing more on games and DC/Marvel movies mostly, Transformers isn't the best example but say BVS or MOS? Movies that weren't by any means" horrible" yet critics shit on them and pretty much praise anything Marvel. That's not biased lol. But anyway Have a nice day.

Yes you are compared to the rest of the world lol. Most people enjoyed MK one movie, more than not. If you wish I can poll it on here? You keep using IMDB as if it's the word of God yet you're complaining about Jahn's? lol Who actually follows these things. I'm talking majority love it as a whole not based on ONE site man lol. You're lecturing me about RT, Metacritic but apparently think IMDB is better? They're known more for movie star resumes than anything else. I read my local movie critics in my papers, the news, sites they know jack shit 99% of the time when it comes to game movies, comics etc.

Yeah they do, critics know nothing about lore man. Transformers the first one only made that much if I'm not mistaken and it was cause of that, the first one and Bumblebee did well because it actually follows lore. The other movies had issues then there's the whole "omg Bay verse Transformers sucks" people so there's that. Mediocre isn't "bad" though, mediocre is another word for alright, most still felt it was good if you read the "does MK movie still hold up now" thread, if you'd like read it I'll link you if you don't believe me. I was focusing more on games and DC/Marvel movies mostly, Transformers isn't the best example but say BVS or MOS? Movies that weren't by any means" horrible" yet critics shit on them and pretty much praise anything Marvel. That's not biased lol. But anyway Have a nice day.
Poll it here? Go ahead. I don't mind seeing the results. But like i said a thousand times already. This is a MK forum. People here are already fans of the franchise. So obviously the result would be skewed here. And how many people do think will vote? Anywhere close to 90,000? And no IMDB is not the word of god. You made it very clear that Jeremy Jahn's is the word of god lol. I will tell you what IMDB is though. It is the best source we have for what the general audience thinks about a movie. We have already estasblished you hate RT, Metacritic and critics in general and think the audience knows best. So i bring up the best source of audience opinion that we have and you are still not satisfied lol. Is your problem really with the source or the fact that it goes against your opinion? Do you now understand why i brought up IMDB? Is the picture becoming any clearer?

And also who the hell is this majority you keep bringing up. The majority of the world? Sorry to break it to you but the majority of the world doesnt know or cares about MK. You don't have a single source to back up your claim of this so called majority that apparantly loves the first MK movie but lets dismiss the 90,000 votes on IMDB because they are known for movie star resumes lol.

To wrap this up for you. The best sources that we have available, regardless of how flawed you think they are, paint a pretty clear picture: The critics and the general audience didn't like the first MK. The only people that seem to like it are the diehard MK fans.

If you have a better source (any source?) that contradicts my conclusion, please post it.

Last edited:

mattteo

Noob
Seeing this fan made trailer a few monts ago:

inspired me to make a story out of it. What do you think about it?

So, the story would probably be like a prequel to MKX: Eagle flies over Sky Temple, we get a flashback of Liu Kang training, Kitana fighting on the side of Earthrealm, Nightwolf transforming into a wolf, Kabal's mask and we learn that Earthrealm's greatest champions are no more.........they protected the realm from Shao Kahn at a great cost: the loss of their souls to darkness, now doing Quan Chi's bidding in the Netherrealm, lost forever from the world of the living.....

Raiden and Fujin rely solely on Johnny Cage, Sonya and Kenshi to rebuild the realm as the threat of the dead invading from the Netherrealm looms (as per MK9's ending). In Outworld, there is political instability. Empress Mileena's throne is not supported by all factions. Shokans (Prince Goro) and human resistance in the mountains lead by Bo'Rai Cho oppose her. She has the support of the tarkatans. Her council includes Reiko, Baraka, Ermac, D'vorah, Kotal Kahn.

This last one is condemned to be executed for treason for supporting an Alliance with Earthrealm, but is helped by D'vorah escape and assembles an army from Osh'Tekk and mercenaries, including Erron Black and Ferra/Torr to challenge Mileena's Imperial Armada. Bo'Rai Cho's Resistance also joins in. Li Mei's village is ravaged in the conflict, but she defends it.

In Chaosream, Quan Chi meets Havik to ensure an Alliance, needing the clerics of Chaos to use blood magic to bound dimensions together and bring Hell within the real worlds. Shinnok's Amulet is somehow locked and not even the Elder God can use it at its full potential (or is it not the real one?). Havik agrees to help and rituals are started. Blood sacrifices are made throughout the realms and Raiden has visions in the Jinsei of Earthrealm that a dragon will open portals for demons to enter Earthrealm. He sends Kenshi to find the Red Dragon Caro and prevent this from happening and sends Fujin to Outworld to make an Alliance, but Mileena Kahnum is unwilling to help Earthrealm.

Raiden himself, together with Johnny Cage and Sonya, steps beyond realms and goes deep inside the Netherrealm to meet Shinnok face to face. They become separated. They find Hell constructed in a similar fashion to the real world, but with strange things occurring and their greatest fears manifesting. They fight their way through. They are aided by Sareena and Ashrah. Raiden confronts Quan Chi and Liu Kang and manages to release Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Jax from the spell.

But Kenshi can't stop billionaire criminal Daegon in Earthrealm who forces the Red Dragon to open portals all over Earthrealm just as the Blood Magic ritual required by Shinnok is finished. Thousands of demons attack the Earthrealm armies. At the same time, D'vorah uses the Shadow Priests in Outworld and creates portals there for the Hellish armies as well, as she is secretly a member of the Brotherhood of the Shadow.

Enemies have to unite, as Kotal Kahn rallies the races of humans, shokans, centaurs and tarkata to fight together against the onslaught of the demons. Shinnok is finally able to set foot in Earthrealm after thousands of years. Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Jax are repentant and decide to help fight against the monster armies. Jax uses his metal fists again. Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Smoke and Sindel fight their way through the human warriors and the champions of the Elder Gods. Demons start attacking everyone, even the Red Dragon members who helped them. Daegon demands Shinnok to keep his end of the bargain, but the Elder God rebuffs him and Daegon is narrowly killed, but saved by Kenshi, who earns his favour.

Ending: Shinnok is eventually stopped by Johnny Cage and locked inside his own Amulet. All portals from and to Earthrealm are sealed and the demons expelled. Mileena is knocked down during the conflict and depowered of all priviledges, placed under life arrest for genocide against her own people. Kenshi remains close to Daegon, as his bodyguard, taking part in the Underground Crime Syndicate meetings, where the Red Dragon, Black Dragon, Tekunin and Lin Kuei (Yakuza meets Gomorra scene on neutral ground with ceremonial Japanese customs, black suits-white shirt+tie for leaders Daegon, Kano, Grandmasters, enhanced Sektor) meet to discuss how to reshape the Earth after the unprecedented war that has left it weakened and without national governments.

Raiden and Sub-Zero talk about his brother, Bi-Han, the one who first prevented Shinnok's invasion 5 years ago. Raiden says he can still be found. Sub-Zero vows to take back the Lin Kuei from its current Grandmaster and venture back into the Netherrealm to free his friend Smoke and find his brother. Sareena is with them in Earthrealm, but refuses to stay with Kuai Liang, instead kissing him and saying that she has gotten used to the realm of the dead, that she belongs there and her business there is unfinished. She leaves.

Reformed Hanzo Hasashi visits the grave of his family and leaves them flowers, moving on. He goes to a remote location near the Himalayan mountains to live a secluded life. He builds himself a home. One morning, he exists and finds people who have come from afar bowing to him, many people, wishing to be trained.

Kotal is crowned the new Kahn of Outworld and Raiden promises him that their worlds will work together and share knowledge from now on. There are still former Imperial Troops opposing Kotal Kahn in Outworld and its domains, with General Reiko having left the Capital and leading these insurgents. D'vorah (unknowingly a traitor), Erron Black, Ferra/Torr, Ermac and Bo'Rai Cho comprise his cabinet, with the shokans keeping autonomy.

Sonya, Jax and Johnny Cage meet up, with Jax clearly shaken of having returned from the dead. They eat at a cafe and laugh. Johnny Cage and Sonya hit it out and kiss.

Post credits scenes: Tanya uses a transforming lizzard's aid (Khameleon?) to free Mileena from her prison. Havik meets Reiko and tells him to prepare, as he will become a Blood God. They make an Alliance.

In the Netherrealm, Shao Kahn awakens to find the empty throne of Shinnok and occupies it. Quan Chi and all the others bow to him, but Quan Chi secretly looks at the real Amulet which he keeps secret as he intends to take back the Throne.

Pretty much a faithful adaptation of the game, prior to the new generation being born. This is actually more interesting, in my opinion, than the kombat kids. It also ties together the above with the first chapter of MKX, the comic book that followed and and the game. Only things improper are Jax, Sub-Zero and Scorpion now being brought back to life earlier, but it has to be done for story purposes and Shao Kahn claiming the Netherrealm at the end (but, hey, who says that didn't happen 20 years ago in the story? Just because we haven;t heard of Shao Kahn after he got killed by the Elder Gods doesn't mean he hasn't been doing his own thing in the Netherrealm all this time. That's a another story, what happened to him being unknown)

MKF30

Poll it here? Go ahead. I don't mind seeing the results. But like i said a thousand times already. This is a MK forum. People here are already fans of the franchise. So obviously the result would be skewed here. And how many people do think will vote? Anywhere close to 90,000? And no IMDB is not the word of god. You made it very clear that Jeremy Jahn's is the word of god lol. I will tell you what IMDB is though. It is the best source we have for what the general audience thinks about a movie. We have already estasblished you hate RT, Metacritic and critics in general and think the audience knows best. So i bring up the best source of audience opinion that we have and you are still not satisfied lol. Is your problem really with the source or the fact that it goes against your opinion? Do you now understand why i brought up IMDB? Is the picture becoming any clearer?

And also who the hell is this majority you keep bringing up. The majority of the world? Sorry to break it to you but the majority of the world doesnt know or cares about MK. You don't have a single source to back up your claim of this so called majority that apparantly loves the first MK movie but lets dismiss the 90,000 votes on IMDB because they are known for movie star resumes lol.

To wrap this up for you. The best sources that we have available, regardless of how flawed you think they are, paint a pretty clear picture: The critics and the general audience didn't like the first MK. The only people that seem to like it are the diehard MK fans.

If you have a better source (any source?) that contradicts my conclusion, please post it.
Ok, if you'd like I can post the question on Comicvine or something? I doubt they'd be biased. I never said that actually that anyone is the word of God lol, just that I feel Jeremy is more credible than uhh Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB lol.

I know what imdb is lol, I'm a part time voice actor when I get the opportunity I have to apply for it once I get certain jobs but haven't done it. But I know there's ratings section for movies too. I don't go by biased outlets what can I say man? I'm also not the only one on here to trash RT if you read the thread and site movie topics.

The "best" source material? eh I think that's relative but hey to each his own, I prefer to watch a movie myself than go by someone else's view, I only watch Jahn's after I see a movie to see his critiques. The general audience though/fans, casuels etc did like the first MK. That's not true at all, I know plenty of people not MK fans who liked it whom I've went to school with, worked with etc I know hardcore diablo fans and PC fanboys at my last job who even admitted MK movie was the best gaming movie by far lol.

Ok, if you'd like I can post the question on Comicvine or something? I doubt they'd be biased. I never said that actually that anyone is the word of God lol, just that I feel Jeremy is more credible than uhh Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB lol.

I know what imdb is lol, I'm a part time voice actor when I get the opportunity I have to apply for it once I get certain jobs but haven't done it. But I know there's ratings section for movies too. I don't go by biased outlets what can I say man? I'm also not the only one on here to trash RT if you read the thread and site movie topics.

The "best" source material? eh I think that's relative but hey to each his own, I prefer to watch a movie myself than go by someone else's view, I only watch Jahn's after I see a movie to see his critiques. The general audience though/fans, casuels etc did like the first MK. That's not true at all, I know plenty of people not MK fans who liked it whom I've went to school with, worked with etc I know hardcore diablo fans and PC fanboys at my last job who even admitted MK movie was the best gaming movie by far lol.
Finally something we can agree on. I, too would rather watch a movie myself and make up my own mind, instead of taking someone else's opinion as gospel. You can post the poll wherever you want. I would be curious about the results regardless.

MKF30

Yep. All good, I guess we all have preferences for sure. Yeah I don’t think anyone should take someone else’s word for gospel and just judge a movie themselves.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
I still love the first movie, it was a good one.. but i am also open minded for an animated movie because i think MK Universe is not perfectly fit to the real martial arts. Think about these characters; Ermac, Noob Saibot, Quan Chi etc. They are magic not human beings. If there will be real actors for the new movie, i would say okey give me Peter Jackson as director, Ian Mckellen as Lord Raiden, Donnie Yen as Kung Lao etc.. okey, i will be fine with it.. Otherwise that movie could be fucked up by the wrong directions again. To be honest i never want to see karate kid Ermac, Kung Fu Raiden or Wing Tsun Mileena etc..

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
If you love and enjoy the original DeathNote, Don't watch the Netflix movie. Same goes for the live action version of FMA.

MKF30

One movie I heard from literally not one DB fan that's horrible is the DB movie, though I can't imagine it being any worse than Super Mario Brothers lol.