Update on the Mortal Kombat Movie (It's Still Happening)

Discussion in 'Mortal Kombat 11' started by HellblazerHawkman, Feb 4, 2019.

By HellblazerHawkman on Feb 4, 2019 at 2:43 PM
  1. HellblazerHawkman

HellblazerHawkman Confused Thanagarian
    News Editor

Originally brought to my attention by @Marinjuana, with the story from MKonline. So there's been talk of a Mortal Kombat movie directed by James Wan (Aquaman, Saw, Insidious) coming sometime eventually in the future. Then Wan kind of dropped back into a producer role, while Simon McQuaid (new guy on the scene) stepped in to direct. Then talk just kind of stopped beyond random interviews where people said they would love to work on this theoretical movie. Well, as of today, the movie might be more set in stone than we previously thought.

[​IMG]

Greg Russo (another new guy on the scene, but currently working on this, a Resident Evil reboot and the Netflix Death Note sequel) just posted this on his Twitter. We have what appears to be a finished script, so that's cool. He's also been pretty active, asking fans how they'd like characters to look and other details they can put in to make this movie as awesome as the original was back in the day. So if you have something you maybe want to toss their way, go tweet at him. Guy seems really open to ideas, and they are still early enough along to where this doesn't seem set in stone.

Along those lines, not to many details beyond Sub-Zero, Liu Kang and Kabal currently being in the film, but that could change. You can be sure we'll have more once they have more though, so look out for that.

Hara-Killer, Vslayer, Icefyre and 6 others like this.
Coming at you with all dat news
News writer for (objectively) the best Netherrealm Studios based website. Feel free to message me if you have a news story you'd like to share
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Mortal Kombat 11' started by HellblazerHawkman, Feb 4, 2019.

1. slamtown
      slamtown
      The first mk movie is good. Resident evil movies are good. And I think there are a few others but it all depends on the director and if the studio trys tinker with it the wrong way. I heard the movie is going to be mostly about special forces anyway at least that's what I HEARD.
    2. ANGELMAN
      ANGELMAN
      I wish a Netflix or Hulu would get behind it and make a legit series instead.

And I don't mean like the MK Legacy half hit half mess. I mean a real show. MK has too much potential lore to squeeze into a movie.
      Barrogh, Icefyre and Marinjuana like this.
    3. Spinky
      Spinky
      The MK movie is godawful, friendo. Everyone has nostalgia for it and it's nice to crack a cold one open with the boys and watch, but it's not even close to decent.
    4. Marinjuana
      Marinjuana
      It's stupid, silly and over the top, but it's heavily enjoyable. I don't need a movie to be Casablanca for me to like it
      Icefyre likes this.
    5. Linkuei82
      Linkuei82
      I know we all love the movie when we were kids, but the first MK film was a glorified B rated movie we just love to watch for fun. Looking back at it now I can help but realized how cheesy it was.
    6. Lokheit
      Lokheit
      Yeah, Johnny the past 2 games has grown on me from "not care too much" to one of my favorite characters. They did an excellent work with his personality and character evolution.
    7. ShepherdOfFire
      ShepherdOfFire
      I have a few worries about this news. Why shouldn't we give the script to someone with experience ? It doesn't mean that the movie will be bad but we can't see his previous works. It seems weird to give him two major video game adaptations for his first works. At least he seems to know the lore. I trust this guy to make a good script, because what W.S. Anderson did for the first film was awful. MK has a good lore and deserves a good writer to adapt its universe.

Also RE ? I hope he knows what he is doing. But, in a way, it can only be better than the W.S. Anderson movies... again :DOGE

He started to write the script today, so what your heard is probably wrong

Not "good", decent. It's a movie that can be funny to watch with friends, but the movie by itself is not good.

Sorry ? Yes, he CGI ones made by Capcom are close to the spirit of the games and are ok (even if there are a lot of incoherences and writing issues) but the live actions are awful.
    8. PetulantWaste
      PetulantWaste
      I think this thread is needlessly pessimistic. Yeah, MK movies have been cheesy and b-rated or god awful but that didn't stop 10 year old you from watching it 45 times.

Maybe a new movie will have a little cheese too. MK's story is almost impossible to recreate without allowing for its inherent silliness. It's not for me. It's for a new generation of pre-teen kids to watch so that there's still a Mortal Kombat scene in 2039.
      NickDaGreek1983 likes this.
    9. callMEcrazy
      callMEcrazy
      The first MK movie was quite good. Of course if you compare it to the top Hollywood blockbusters or classics it's going to fall short but it wasn't a bad movie at all. The characters were lovable, the action sequences were good, and the soundtrack was fantastic. And importantly the movie didn't take itself too seriously.

But it's not alone. Assassin's Fist (2014) was a fine movie. If you skimmed through it and didn't think it was good then I suggest you watch it again. It has more depth than you might think and has solid production values.

Saying that these movies were godawful is being more than overly critical. It borders on ignorance.
    10. Marlow
      Marlow
      "Quite good" seems like a stretch. It was on Prime or Netlfix so I went back to watch it a couple months ago. I'd say it was bad, but watchable, even enjoyable if you're predetermined to enjoy it or if you really embrace the MK early 90's ninja nostalgia.

Also, holy cow there were a lot of bad kids ninja movies in the early 90's. 3 Ninjas, Surf Ninjas, 3 Ninjas kick back, 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up, 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. Apparently Hollywood knew one thing: Kids love ninjas!
    11. Linkuei82
      Linkuei82
      Don't get me wrong, I love the movie and have great childhood memories watching it. But being older now it entertaining cheesy that I didn't notice till I was older.
    12. Vslayer
      Vslayer
      The problem with video game movies is they try to jam way too much of the storyline into one that's muddled and makes no freaking sense (ie: Resident evil 4-6). If they stick to just or one-two character arcs they can merge then they should focus on that and it could actually be good. Like either focus on SF stuff with Sonya, Kano, Kabal, and Stryker, maybe have the Lin Kuei interfere and whatnot, but trying to jam everything else like the cyber initiative, Raiden and the tournaments, Shao Khan, Quand chi, Scorpion and everything else from Outworld would be way too much.

They should just focus on making 3-4 movies to explore all the storylines instead.
    13. Marlow
      Marlow
      There's actually a couple really interesting articles written about the Street Fighter movie, and all the things that went wrong to turn it into such a disaster, that touches on this exact thing of casting too many characters. Origianlly the director wanted to limit the script to about 7 characters, because that's about the max that audiences can usually feel comfortable following. But Capcom wanted all the characters in the game.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/10/5451014/street-fighter-the-movie-what-went-wrong

It's actually a pretty fascinating read about the little things that go into making a movie, and what happens when those things all go horribly wrong.
      BurdaA and Vslayer like this.
    14. Vslayer
      Vslayer
      Sweet, I'll give it a read.
    15. Mind Flex
      Mind Flex
      I'm hoping for an amazing experience that leaves no question that there will be a sequel and maybe turn it into a series. I'm also realistic that it may come off a bit corny or cheesy. Either way I'll enjoy it because it's more MK. I don't watch MK Annihilation because it's a great movie. I watch it because its MK.
    16. Pizza
      Pizza
      Mother! You're alive...
      Too bad you... WILL DIE
      Vslayer likes this.
    17. Pterodactyl
      Pterodactyl
      Here’s a few surprises for you:

1. More than one thing can be bad at a time. This isn’t an either-or situation. Arguing that modern super hero movies aren’t good doesn’t make both MK movies retroactively not-garbage.

2. You can like things that are bad. Everybody has things that they like that they know aren’t great. Even the worst movie can have charm and heart and humor, but that doesn’t make it a good movie. Good to you doesn’t = critically good.

No one is saying nobody should like this movie, it’s just that it’s an bad movie.
      Linkuei82 likes this.
    18. Dankster Morgan
      Dankster Morgan
      MK movies are trash but I do appreciate that the first one at least makes somewhat of an attempt to be like the game.
      Linkuei82 and Pizza like this.
    19. Spinky
      Spinky
      Man, the Resident Evil movies make MK look like The Godfather.
      NSR likes this.
    20. Marinjuana
      Marinjuana
      You guys are a bunch of fun hating haters shitting on a movie you all fucking love, just sayin
      aj1701 likes this.
    21. David Savage
      David Savage
      Greg Russo is never active on facebook and I don't have twitter (banned), so how else am I to post my ideas to the dude?