What's new

Update on the Mortal Kombat Movie (It's Still Happening)

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Cool.

I stopped caring 20 days ago when I sent that, I don’t know why you’re replying now.
Because I forgot about this thread and just came across it again when someone else posted in it? If you don't want to respond, don't respond.

I already came to terms with the fact that you think a movie that is widely regarded as being subpar, below decent, critically speaking, is beyond that.

If you honestly believe something like that, there is no logic I can use to convince you, so it’s pointless to continue discussing it.
Black Panther just got a best picture nomination, and you're trying to rely on critical opinion as some kind of inviolate authority...? Lol, come on dude. You're smart enough to make your own points without relying on anyone else's opinions.

I think it is safe to say every MK fan would love to see a proper MK movie, or a proper story in a MK game. Having said that i am not feeling it. There has never been a good video game to film adaptation and the writer, Greg Russo, doesnt exactly instill confidence in this project. He seems a genuine fan of the franchise but his writing resume is about as empty as mine. I hope they can prove me and my fellow pessimists wrong though.

Some inspired choices. I am especially fan of Guard leader :)
Yeah I see there's a little fan base for the guards, so I have created a guard "leader", someone that Shang would deliver his orders to, to filter down do all the other guards. So I'm giving this character a step up and actually part of the tournament.

Having "Karbrac" instead of Baraka, would save Baraka for a potential sequel, instead of having everyone in the first movie. The idea is that Baraka is needed to fight off the rebels in Outworld, while the tournament is happening.

So I hope this clears up some questions about my fan cast and character choices.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MK is the last fandom where I’d expect to hear this said. You’re aware that the MK movie exists and is a legitimately decent movie, right?
What this man said ^. MK fans/Haters aside, it's pretty much a fact that MK movie>>>>all other video game movies, though I'll admit Tomb Raider, first RE and Silent Hill are up there but yeah, MK is easily the best fighting game movie in the genre, not even going to humor anyone arguing that point. I think for someone to say "MK one movie sucked" you'd have to be on the crack pipe.

What this man said ^. MK fans/Haters aside, it's pretty much a fact that MK movie>>>>all other video game movies, though I'll admit Tomb Raider, first RE and Silent Hill are up there but yeah, MK is easily the best fighting game movie in the genre, not even going to humor anyone arguing that point. I think for someone to say "MK one movie sucked" you'd have to be on the crack pipe.
Well i must be on the crack pipe then :)

Its not that the first MK movie sucked but it really wasn't a good movie either. Its just that the bar for videogame to movie adaptations has been set so low, that the first MK movie seems good in comparison to the shit we have been served through out the years.

MKF30

Well i must be on the crack pipe then :)

Its not that the first MK movie sucked but it really wasn't a good movie either. Its just that the bar for videogame to movie adaptations has been set so low, that the first MK movie seems good in comparison to the shit we have been served through out the years.
Considering the budget, professional choreography by the same dude who did Karate Kid and many other greats, the time period and actual staying true to the story I'd say it was a pretty good movie unlike it's competition. I wouldn't say that, whoever made that up is just trying to justify a reason for bashing vid games movies automatically or having an excuse for them "not being good or automatically disappointing" I'm sorry but to me that's a copout and one of the lamest excuses ever. It's nearly as bad as the people who say "all DC movies suck cause too dark, not uplifting enough" I admit as both an MK fan and general movie fan, the second one was shit and done by entirely different people. But the first MK movie was a good movie, maybe you just have high expectations but the general consensus around gamers, movie goers and general casual fans feel it's a solid movie and still holds up even by today's standards.

Not even talking about just compared to now days or throughout time, while it's true MK one movie was much better. Nobody is saying it was an oscar picture, but then neither are most movies....but it was a solid, fun and accurate film. That's all that matters at the end of the day, even the critics liked it and they don't like anything unless it's PC now days.

Considering the budget, the time period and actual staying true to the story I'd say it was a pretty good movie unlike it's competition. I wouldn't say that, whoever made that up is just trying to justify a reason for bashing vid games movies automatically or having an excuse for them "not being good or automatically disappointing" I'm sorry but to me that's a copout and one of the lamest excuses ever. It's nearly as bad as the people who say "all DC movies suck cause too dark, not uplifting enough"

Not even talking about just compared to now days or throughout time, while it's true MK one movie was much better. Nobody is saying it was an oscar picture, but then neither are most movies....but it was a solid, fun and accurate film. That's all that matters at the end of the day, even the critics liked it and they don't like anything unless it's PC now days.
Well i am not saying videogame to movie adaptations suck automatically. The proof is in the pudding. Every videogame to movie adaption so far has ranged from atrocious to mediocre. I am not looking at them as Oscar worthy movies (whatever that means) but i am comparing them to good movies outside of the videogame genre. Saying the first MK movie is good in its genre isnt saying much when the competion is pretty much non-existent. That to me is a lazy argument. A movie needs to stand on its own. regardless of the genre its competing in. And did the critics really like the first MK movie when it came out? i find that hard to believe considering its at a whopping 38 procent (with a 4.5 score) on rottentomatoes. But these reviews came out long after the movie was released. I dont know what initial reception was.

This is the Critics Consensus on RT: 'Despite an effective otherwordly atmosphere and appropriately cheesy visuals, Mortal Kombat suffers from its poorly constructed plot, laughable dialogue, and subpar acting'

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Well i am not saying videogame to movie adaptations suck automatically. The proof is in the pudding. Every videogame to movie adaption so far has ranged from atrocious to mediocre. I am not looking at them as Oscar worthy movies (whatever that means) but i am comparing them to good movies outside of the genre. Saying the first MK movie is good in its genre isnt saying much when the competion is pretty much non-existent. That to me is a lazy argument. A movie needs to stand on its own. regardless of the genre its competing in. And did the critics really like the first MK movie when it came out? i find that hard to believe considering its at a whopping 38 procent (with a 4.5 score) on rottentomatoes. But these reviews came out long after the movie was released. I dont know what initial reception was.
If you're gonna compare movies cross-genre, it automatically makes 99.9% movies in the "action" category utter trash. Like, sure The Dark Knight was an amazing movie, but how does it match up against Citizen Kane or The Godfather or Apocalypse Now as a study of the human condition? Lol. Not very well. That shouldn't matter. Thrills have their place in the movie theater. Competently executed thrills deserve praise.

Anyone that uses Rotten Tomatoes as a serious critics source, I will discount everything you say.

RT are a disgrace to fair criticisms and reviews of movies from anyone calling themselves a "critic".

MKF30

Well i am not saying videogame to movie adaptations suck automatically. The proof is in the pudding. Every videogame to movie adaption so far has ranged from atrocious to mediocre. I am not looking at them as Oscar worthy movies (whatever that means) but i am comparing them to good movies outside of the genre. Saying the first MK movie is good in its genre isnt saying much when the competion is pretty much non-existent. That to me is a lazy argument. A movie needs to stand on its own. regardless of the genre its competing in. And did the critics really like the first MK movie when it came out? i find that hard to believe considering its at a whopping 38 procent (with a 4.5 score) on rottentomatoes. But these reviews came out long after the movie was released. I dont know what initial reception was.

This is the Critics Consensus on RT: 'Despite an effective otherwordly atmosphere and appropriately cheesy visuals, Mortal Kombat suffers from its poorly constructed plot, laughable dialogue, and subpar acting'
Thing is one's opinion does not make the movie bad vs. general positive overwhealming feedback, you can be a solid film(regardless of type, genre etc) and still be much better than mediocre which honestly for a general movie like MK, Silent Hill and RE are better than mediocre to the average person. Perhaps you just have high expectations, proof in the pudding indeed. Just look at the general consensus like I was saying earlier, it's pretty much a lot more positive than negative regarding MK one movie. I'm saying you don't have to be an "oscar worthy movie" to be considered better than mediocre, that's what that means. There's plenty of other genres that aren't even relevant like foreign films, how many people know of even the best international films? Exactly....

What are you talking about? lol the competition is very existent, you act as if there's like 4 video game movies or something lol. There's quite a lot and enough to fairly say MK >>>>other video game movies, Since the late 80's to now there's been at least 30+ vid game movies if not more I'd say that's more than enough to judge. RT is garbage, I'm talking about the days when critics were actually fair and good. RT hates every DC movie for example(except TDK and WW) and also rated that garbage New Ghostsbusters feminist trash higher than MOS, BVS and Shawshank Redemption. To use RT is a horrible argument. Just saying...please post the link to what you're saying because from what I read most said it was fun movie, besides it's the fan receptions that counts. Last time I checked, RT since you brought that up audience score had 57% like it compared to 38% critics....and Metacritic critics rated it 58 out of 100 chart, with a positive of 5 rating.... meanwhile audience/fan score 8.4 rating out of 10 and a positive rating of 247, nuff said. Notice the drastic reception difference the fans and the so called "professional movie critics"

If I'm going to go by any critic now days it would be someone who actually knows what he's talking about regarding the mythos like Jeremy Jahns...he's an actual gamer, a fan and objective critic who knows what he's talking about unlike most critics. Even though he says it has it's cheesy moments he also admits it's not a bad movie by any stretch and is easily the top video game movie or top 2 at least.

That being said Jeremy Jahn's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RT

Thing is one's opinion does not make the movie bad vs. general positive overwhealming feedback, you can be a solid film(regardless of type, genre etc) and still be much better than mediocre which honestly for a general movie like MK, Silent Hill and RE are better than mediocre to the average person. Perhaps you just have high expectations, proof in the pudding indeed. Just look at the general consensus like I was saying earlier, it's pretty much a lot more positive than negative regarding MK one movie. I'm saying you don't have to be an "oscar worthy movie" to be considered better than mediocre, that's what that means. There's plenty of other genres that aren't even relevant like foreign films, how many people know of even the best international films? Exactly....

What are you talking about? lol the competition is very existent, you act as if there's like 4 video game movies or something lol. There's quite a lot and enough to fairly say MK >>>>other video game movies, Since the late 80's to now there's been at least 30+ vid game movies if not more I'd say that's more than enough to judge. RT is garbage, I'm talking about the days when critics were actually fair and good. RT hates every DC movie for example(except TDK and WW) and also rated that garbage New Ghostsbusters feminist trash higher than MOS, BVS and Shawshank Redemption. To use RT is a horrible argument. Just saying...please post the link to what you're saying because from what I read most said it was fun movie, besides it's the fan receptions that counts. Last time I checked, RT since you brought that up audience score had 57% like it compared to 38% critics....and Metacritic critics rated it 58 out of 100 chart, with a positive of 5 rating.... meanwhile audience/fan score 8.4 rating out of 10 and a positive rating of 247, nuff said. Notice the drastic reception difference the fans and the so called "professional movie critics"

If I'm going to go by any critic now days it would be someone who actually knows what he's talking about regarding the mythos like Jeremy Jahns...he's an actual gamer, a fan and objective critic who knows what he's talking about unlike most critics. Even though he says it has it's cheesy moments he also admits it's not a bad movie by any stretch and is easily the top video game movie or top 2 at least.

That being said Jeremy Jahn's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RT

What general concensus? Is your general consensus only the fans that posted on metacritic? 57% audience score on RT isnt exactly something to write home about . And you conveniently forgot to add the imdb score. Its 5,8 based on over 90,000 votes. How many people voted on metacritic again? And just to clarify. I agree MK is the best movie in the videogame genre but thats because of the competition. Pretty much every other videogame to movie adaptation has sucked major balls. This is not an opinion but a fact. I can't believe anyone would try to argue this. With perhaps a few exceptions, they have been critically panned and box office bombs. How can you call that competition? Also you brought up the critics and said the reviews were positieve and i showed you that it wasn't the case. Now you say RT is a horrible argument. You can't have it both ways. But then you bring up Jeremy Jahns. As if that somehow validates your argument. Thats adorable.

Last edited:
Anyone that uses Rotten Tomatoes as a serious critics source, I will discount everything you say.

RT are a disgrace to fair criticisms and reviews of movies from anyone calling themselves a "critic".
Dude he brought up the critics. I just responded. Next time read the entire conversation before discounting everything i say because i brought up RT lol.

If you're gonna compare movies cross-genre, it automatically makes 99.9% movies in the "action" category utter trash. Like, sure The Dark Knight was an amazing movie, but how does it match up against Citizen Kane or The Godfather or Apocalypse Now as a study of the human condition? Lol. Not very well. That shouldn't matter. Thrills have their place in the movie theater. Competently executed thrills deserve praise.
I am not trying to compare it the Godfather or Apocalyse Now lol. Maybe i didn't word it correctly. But when I said, it should be compared to movies outside of the genre, i meant it should be compared to good action movies outside of the videogame genre. For instance the Dark Knight. I know its not a entirely fair comparison, given the budgets and the time the movies were made but i think its a comparison you can make, since they can both be considered action movies. The first MK movie had its moment and as a fan of the franchise, i enjoyed it for what it was. But looking at it objectively (and not as a fan), i dont think it can be considered a good movie. But that's how i see it. Good for you if you think differently. Can't argue with peoples taste.

Last edited:

mattteo

Noob
I loved the "Doom" and "Warcraft" movies. Screw critics, they're paid off anyway.

If you feel in your heart that a movie is good, has soul unlike many blockbusters who get a big score from critics just cause (-cough -Disney Kathleen Kennedy Star Wars atrocities -cough-), then it doesn;t matter what critics say.

If Mortal Kombat is made in the Warcraft style, with the Outworld Civil War between Kotal Kahn and Mileena and Reiko's forces as its main focus, I think it would be 1000 times better then setting it on Earthrealm with the same old story that we've always seen.

MKF30

@David Savage Thank you! lol he keeps saying I brought them up, but I mentioned oldschool critics back when they were respected, notice I never mentioned RT, he did. He's trying to say I mentioned them now lol when I didn't, I agree with you 100% they're trash go by PC bias and paid off anyway.

What general concensus? Is your general consensus only the fans that posted on metacritic? 57% audience score on RT isnt exactly something to write home about . And you conveniently forgot to add the imdb score. Its 5,8 based on over 90,000 votes. How many people voted on metacritic again? And just to clarify. I agree MK is the best movie in the videogame genre but thats because of the competition. Pretty much every other videogame to movie adaptation has sucked major balls. This is not an opinion but a fact. I can't believe anyone would try to argue this. With perhaps a few exceptions, they have been critically panned and box office bombs. How can you call that competition? Also you brought up the critics and said the reviews were positieve and i showed you that it wasn't the case. Now you say RT is a horrible argument. You can't have it both ways. But then you bring up Jeremy Jahns. As if that somehow validates your argument. Thats adorable.
Overall feedback from the fans/us, general movie goers. I seriously don't know many people who felt "MK one movie sucked" honestly, it's pretty obvious there's a hell of a lot more people who liked it than not. I never said it was something to write home about I said RT is trash, but I only posted the audience to prove to you that in general on RT most of the time the audience is way higher or generally higher than the critics score (unless it's PC trash like Ghostbusters of course)

I know about imdb I just never really use them since they're more known for movie star stats, resumes etc. Well how many people voted on RT again? lol I wouldn't say every other one, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill and the first RE were fine actually. But still when you take the amount of vid game movies done it's quite a lot by now. I mentioned critics in regards to ones who people actually respect, I never mentioned RT you did. I was referring to respected people like Syskel and Ebert, who liked it from what I recall. Not all critics, reviewers=RT.

I'm not the only person who said RT is bad if you've read this thread man lol. But seriously, I don't know many people who try to use RT as a crutch for an argument, they've not good, biased, give garbage like Ghostbusters which was feminist crap higher ratings than pretty much every DC movie which was bs, and hell even those other video game movies that were bad compared to MK hell those movies were even better than that new junk GB. Don't believe me? Look at the trailer views, only big name movie to have more dislikes than likes that's sad and also ask any real GB fan what they thought of that movie, that's the ones who count, not critics who judge everything for pc reasons. Not to mention you do know RT are paid off half the time right not to look bad as well? Example, while WW was a great movie they weren't going to bash it because it starred a female heroine just like they won't hate on Captain Marvel even though the actress Brie Larson is trying to make a political statement out of it, I'm not seeing it. only Captain Marvel I will see is the original Marvel ripped off, SHAZAM. :D

As for Jeremy Jahn's, actually It backs up my argument fine actually as again Jeremy Jahns actually knows what he's talking about and reviews both movies, games, shows and is a gamer who follows the mythos of said movies/series ie like MK for example unlike those so called "professional critics" that are accumulated at RT. I'm so sure I'm going to take the word of people who shit on gems like Shawshank and praise garbage like new ghostbusters.

Last edited:
@David Savage Thank you! lol he keeps saying I brought them up, but I mentioned oldschool critics back when they were respected, notice I never mentioned RT, he did. He's trying to say I mentioned them now lol when I didn't, I agree with you 100% they're trash go by PC bias and paid off anyway.

Overall feedback from the fans/us, general movie goers. I seriously don't know many people who felt "MK one movie sucked" honestly, it's pretty obvious there's a hell of a lot more people who liked it than not. I never said it was something to write home about I said RT is trash, but I only posted the audience to prove to you that in general on RT most of the time the audience is way higher or generally higher than the critics score (unless it's PC trash like Ghostbusters of course)

I know about imdb I just never really use them since they're more known for movie star stats, resumes etc. Well how many people voted on RT again? lol I wouldn't say every other one, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill and the first RE were fine actually. But still when you take the amount of vid game movies done it's quite a lot by now. I mentioned critics in regards to ones who people actually respect, I never mentioned RT you did. I was referring to respected people like Syskel and Ebert, who liked it from what I recall. Not all critics, reviewers=RT.

I'm not the only person who said RT is bad if you've read this thread man lol. But seriously, I don't know many people who try to use RT as a crutch for an argument, they've not good, biased, give garbage like Ghostbusters which was feminist crap higher ratings than pretty much every DC movie which was bs, and hell even those other video game movies that were bad compared to MK hell those movies were even better than that new junk GB. Don't believe me? Look at the trailer views, only big name movie to have more dislikes than likes that's sad and also ask any real GB fan what they thought of that movie, that's the ones who count, not critics who judge everything for pc reasons. Not to mention you do know RT are paid off half the time right not to look bad as well? Example, while WW was a great movie they weren't going to bash it because it starred a female heroine just like they won't hate on Captain Marvel even though the actress Brie Larson is trying to make a political statement out of it, I'm not seeing it. only Captain Marvel I will see is the original Marvel ripped off, SHAZAM. :D

As for Jeremy Jahn's, actually It backs up my argument fine actually as again Jeremy Jahns actually knows what he's talking about and reviews both movies, games, shows and is a gamer who follows the mythos of said movies/series ie like MK for example unlike those so called "professional critics" that are accumulated at RT. I'm so sure I'm going to take the word of people who shit on gems like Shawshank and praise garbage like new ghostbusters.

Don't backpedal man. You brought up critics. How am i supposed to know you mean oldschool critics like Roger Ebert lol. Like them or not sites like RT and Metacritic are review aggregators. If you say critics liked it, thats where people will look to see if you are not full of shit. Cause you can see a lot different critics posting their opinions on a movie as opposed to reading the opinion of a single reviewer on their site. So i should have gone to Roger Ebert's site to find what he wrote about the movie 25 years ago? But i get it. the opinion of 32 critics on RT isn't good enough for you. Nor is the opinion of the 90,000+ people that voted on imdb. You like the opinion of super gamer and critic Jeremy Jahns. Cause his word is gospel. Or is it because he agrees with your point of view? All those other people don't know what they are talking about and should get another job.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Don't backpedal man. You brought up critics. How am i supposed to know you mean oldschool critics like Roger Ebert lol. Like them or not sites like RT and Metacritic are review aggregators. If you say critics liked it, thats where people will look to see if you are not full of shit. Cause you can see a lot different critics posting their opinions on a movie as opposed to reading the opinion of a single reviewer on their site. So i should have gone to Roger Ebert's site to find what he wrote about the movie 25 years ago? But i get it. the opinion of 32 critics on RT isn't good enough for you. Nor is the opinion of the 90,000+ people that voted on imdb. You like the opinion of super gamer and critic Jeremy Jahns. Cause his word is gospel. Or is it because he agrees with your point of view? All those other people don't know what they are talking about and should get another job.
Looking at critics for MK1(1995) is kinda useless I find. The only people who actually enjoyed MK1 were people who grew up with the MK games. General movie goers saw it as ok and the critics at the time saw it as forgettable. It seems to have gained traction since MK9 brought back the series' popular appeal but even then, it's hard to put an actual number.

Ultimately people who love this movie (me included) grew up with the games. People who didnt grow up with the games or who were in their 20s when the movie came out, unless they were in MK, they didnt really get the appeal either. It turns into a full out comedy if you watch it baked (highly suggested lol)

MKF30

I'm not backpedalling, pretty sure I said critics for back then and not RT big difference guy.

Because I said said Ebert? lol yeah but doesn't mean they're credible lol. I also said audience/fans like it more and they're the only views that count at the end of the day so lol. So you think RT is more credible than Ebert historically? Curious. Yes, 32 critics who don't know shit about comic or video game lore, but Jahn's does. But sure, I guess all critics are "the same"? lol It's not like Jahn's is an actual MK fan, comic fan who's read comics, played the games..ohh wait.

MKF30

Looking at critics for MK1(1995) is kinda useless I find. The only people who actually enjoyed MK1 were people who grew up with the MK games. General movie goers saw it as ok and the critics at the time saw it as forgettable. It seems to have gained traction since MK9 brought back the series' popular appeal but even then, it's hard to put an actual number.

Ultimately people who love this movie (me included) grew up with the games. People who didnt grow up with the games or who were in their 20s when the movie came out, unless they were in MK, they didnt really get the appeal either. It turns into a full out comedy if you watch it baked (highly suggested lol)
Of course my point was that back then critics even were more credible than today, but you're right man. It's the fans that matter and most felt the first movie was solid, but haters gonna hate lol

I'm not backpedalling, pretty sure I said critics for back then and not RT big difference guy.

Because I said said Ebert? lol yeah but doesn't mean they're credible lol. I also said audience/fans like it more and they're the only views that count at the end of the day so lol. So you think RT is more credible than Ebert historically? Curious. Yes, 32 critics who don't know shit about comic or video game lore, but Jahn's does. But sure, I guess all critics are "the same"? lol It's not like Jahn's is an actual MK fan, comic fan who's read comics, played the games..ohh wait.

You keep talking about knowing the lore and how Jeremy Jahns opinion is more important then these other critics because he is a true MK fan. Why does that matter? Didn't we establish that a movie needs to stand on its own? The general movie audience, who knows nothing about MK, should be able to sit down and enjoy the movie. If your argument is that you have to be a MK fan to like this movie then i am sorry to tell you, its not a good movie. I could let my father, who is 70 years old, watch The Dark Knight and he would like it and he knows jack shit about the comics. You know why? Cause its a good movie regardless of the fact that it is a comicbook movie. Show the MK movie to anybody that isnt familiar with the franchise and they will laugh in your face. Its that bad if you don't have a PHD in Mortal Kombat history and Nostalgia hasn't completely blinded your objectivity. Also since you are so hung up on Jeremy Jahns. I am prety sure he said if you are not familair with the franchise, the movie is a good time if you are drunk. Yeah that a real seal of approval there buddy. I have said my peace and you have said yours. We clearly don't see eye to eye. No point in continuing this back and forth.

Last edited:

mattteo

Noob
Show the MK movie to anybody that isnt familiar with the franchise and he will laugh in your face.

There aren't anymore young people that aren't familiar wih Mortal Kombat. It's so rooted in popular culture that everyone knows about it.

And these are the people who are gonna pay to see the movie, not 70 year olds (no disrespect meant to your father).

And the Liu Kang, Johny, Sonya characters are already established. If they do another origin story for those. it will be just....bleah.

The games are already at the next generation of Earthrealm fighters after having gone through 9 more stories.

Just adapt one of MK4 to MK Armageddon for Christ's sake