What's new

Update on the Mortal Kombat Movie (It's Still Happening)

slamtown

Police Brutality
Gross.

I know this might sound pessimistic but there's no way this won't suck like literally every video game movie ever. It's a curse.
The first mk movie is good. Resident evil movies are good. And I think there are a few others but it all depends on the director and if the studio trys tinker with it the wrong way. I heard the movie is going to be mostly about special forces anyway at least that's what I HEARD.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I know we all love the movie when we were kids, but the first MK film was a glorified B rated movie we just love to watch for fun. Looking back at it now I can help but realized how cheesy it was.

I have a few worries about this news. Why shouldn't we give the script to someone with experience ? It doesn't mean that the movie will be bad but we can't see his previous works. It seems weird to give him two major video game adaptations for his first works. At least he seems to know the lore. I trust this guy to make a good script, because what W.S. Anderson did for the first film was awful. MK has a good lore and deserves a good writer to adapt its universe.

a Resident Evil reboot
Also RE ? I hope he knows what he is doing. But, in a way, it can only be better than the W.S. Anderson movies... again :DOGE

I heard the movie is going to be mostly about special forces anyway at least that's what I HEARD.
He started to write the script today, so what your heard is probably wrong

The first mk movie is good.
Not "good", decent. It's a movie that can be funny to watch with friends, but the movie by itself is not good.

Resident evil movies are good.
Sorry ? Yes, he CGI ones made by Capcom are close to the spirit of the games and are ok (even if there are a lot of incoherences and writing issues) but the live actions are awful.

I think this thread is needlessly pessimistic. Yeah, MK movies have been cheesy and b-rated or god awful but that didn't stop 10 year old you from watching it 45 times.

Maybe a new movie will have a little cheese too. MK's story is almost impossible to recreate without allowing for its inherent silliness. It's not for me. It's for a new generation of pre-teen kids to watch so that there's still a Mortal Kombat scene in 2039.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
The first MK movie was quite good. Of course if you compare it to the top Hollywood blockbusters or classics it's going to fall short but it wasn't a bad movie at all. The characters were lovable, the action sequences were good, and the soundtrack was fantastic. And importantly the movie didn't take itself too seriously.

But it's not alone. Assassin's Fist (2014) was a fine movie. If you skimmed through it and didn't think it was good then I suggest you watch it again. It has more depth than you might think and has solid production values.

Saying that these movies were godawful is being more than overly critical. It borders on ignorance.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
"Quite good" seems like a stretch. It was on Prime or Netlfix so I went back to watch it a couple months ago. I'd say it was bad, but watchable, even enjoyable if you're predetermined to enjoy it or if you really embrace the MK early 90's ninja nostalgia.

Also, holy cow there were a lot of bad kids ninja movies in the early 90's. 3 Ninjas, Surf Ninjas, 3 Ninjas kick back, 3 Ninjas Knuckle Up, 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. Apparently Hollywood knew one thing: Kids love ninjas!

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Don't get me wrong, I love the movie and have great childhood memories watching it. But being older now it entertaining cheesy that I didn't notice till I was older.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The problem with video game movies is they try to jam way too much of the storyline into one that's muddled and makes no freaking sense (ie: Resident evil 4-6). If they stick to just or one-two character arcs they can merge then they should focus on that and it could actually be good. Like either focus on SF stuff with Sonya, Kano, Kabal, and Stryker, maybe have the Lin Kuei interfere and whatnot, but trying to jam everything else like the cyber initiative, Raiden and the tournaments, Shao Khan, Quand chi, Scorpion and everything else from Outworld would be way too much.

They should just focus on making 3-4 movies to explore all the storylines instead.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The problem with video game movies is they try to jam way too much of the storyline into one that's muddled and makes no freaking sense (ie: Resident evil 4-6). If they stick to just or one-two character arcs they can merge then they should focus on that and it could actually be good. Like either focus on SF stuff with Sonya, Kano, Kabal, and Stryker, maybe have the Lin Kuei interfere and whatnot, but trying to jam everything else like the cyber initiative, Raiden and the tournaments, Shao Khan, Quand chi, Scorpion and everything else from Outworld would be way too much.

They should just focus on making 3-4 movies to explore all the storylines instead.
There's actually a couple really interesting articles written about the Street Fighter movie, and all the things that went wrong to turn it into such a disaster, that touches on this exact thing of casting too many characters. Origianlly the director wanted to limit the script to about 7 characters, because that's about the max that audiences can usually feel comfortable following. But Capcom wanted all the characters in the game.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/10/5451014/street-fighter-the-movie-what-went-wrong

It's actually a pretty fascinating read about the little things that go into making a movie, and what happens when those things all go horribly wrong.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
There's actually a couple really interesting articles written about the Street Fighter movie, and all the things that went wrong to turn it into such a disaster, that touches on this exact thing of casting too many characters. Origianlly the director wanted to limit the script to about 7 characters, because that's about the max that audiences can usually feel comfortable following. But Capcom wanted all the characters in the game.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/10/5451014/street-fighter-the-movie-what-went-wrong

It's actually a pretty fascinating read about the little things that go into making a movie, and what happens when those things all go horribly wrong.
Sweet, I'll give it a read.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
I'm hoping for an amazing experience that leaves no question that there will be a sequel and maybe turn it into a series. I'm also realistic that it may come off a bit corny or cheesy. Either way I'll enjoy it because it's more MK. I don't watch MK Annihilation because it's a great movie. I watch it because its MK.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
In what universe do you live in? Because I live in a universe where atrocious superhero movies are what has passed for good or even great blockbusters for about a decade. And I can count the number of Marvel movies that I think are better films than MK1 on the fingers of one hand. It's a short list.

It's a movie with great physical action that stands the test of time, an intriguing world, beautiful locations, memorable performances, and a lot of funny dialogue. The third act doesn't devolve into a CGI mess of some alien invasion of New York. In 2019, that is a fucking decent ass movie.

I didn't even say it was good, I said it was decent.
Here’s a few surprises for you:

1. More than one thing can be bad at a time. This isn’t an either-or situation. Arguing that modern super hero movies aren’t good doesn’t make both MK movies retroactively not-garbage.

2. You can like things that are bad. Everybody has things that they like that they know aren’t great. Even the worst movie can have charm and heart and humor, but that doesn’t make it a good movie. Good to you doesn’t = critically good.

No one is saying nobody should like this movie, it’s just that it’s an bad movie.

Another problem with the movies is too many cameos just look at Scorpion/Sub Zero from MKA, No one wanted them to last in short order and disappear from the rest of the film.

I'm hoping for a more prominent role regarding these two.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
They need to make a concise story and properly flush out a couple of characters max. Having a MK movie centering around scorpion's rise, fall and resurrection would be a fresh take than the usual Liu saving earthrealm idea. Or having a story centering around Subzero's younger brother coming to terms with what happened to his older sibling, which would come back as Noob Saibot.

I think MK has potential to make a great fantasy action film but if they stick with the tired formula of Save the World/Universe by finding a mcguffin (like a key, amulet, cube, toothbrush wtv), then it will be forgettable at best and a giant piece of baraka poop at worst

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Here’s a few surprises for you:

1. More than one thing can be bad at a time. This isn’t an either-or situation. Arguing that modern super hero movies aren’t good doesn’t make both MK movies retroactively not-garbage.
I said "decent." I'm not comparing MK to The Godfather, I'm comparing it to other action movies. If Terminator 2, Mad Max: Fury Road, and the Bourne movies are what passes for great (and they are) then the MK movie is easily decent.

2. You can like things that are bad. Everybody has things that they like that they know aren’t great. Even the worst movie can have charm and heart and humor, but that doesn’t make it a good movie. Good to you doesn’t = critically good.
Very true. I enjoy plenty of stuff that is not objectively good.

Doesn't change my opinion about the MK movie.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I said "decent." I'm not comparing MK to The Godfather, I'm comparing it to other action movies. If Terminator 2, Mad Max: Fury Road, and the Bourne movies are what passes for great (and they are) then the MK movie is easily decent.

Very true. I enjoy plenty of stuff that is not objectively good.

Doesn't change my opinion about the MK movie.
Cool.

I stopped caring 20 days ago when I sent that, I don’t know why you’re replying now.

I already came to terms with the fact that you think a movie that is widely regarded as being subpar, below decent, critically speaking, is beyond that.

If you honestly believe something like that, there is no logic I can use to convince you, so it’s pointless to continue discussing it.