What's new

Unpopular opinions thread

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
Bo Rai Cho feels out of place in his own universe? :confused: if you want to see out of place, let me direct you to the far left side of the character selection screen.
That's kind of a strange argument when you consider that Mokap is a part of the Mortal Kombat Universe as well. Let's for a second say that until this point, Bo Rai Cho has never existed as a character and Alien has never existed as a franchise.

A new DLC character is coming to Mortal Kombat X! Which one sounds more like a Mortal Kombat Kombatant? A former karate master who spends his whole time drinking and farting, or the parasite monster that tears people to shreds and uses them as hosts for its breeding? If anything, the second one sounds exactly like a creature one might encounter in Outworld, especially when you consider D'Vorrah is very similar.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some comic relief and Bo Rai Cho's gameplay was very creative, especially the Bartitsu variation. But he feels so strange when compared to the rest of the cast. I'm all for some variation in characters, but he feels more like a joke than a real character. It also doesn't help that I think his character model is kinda bland but that's a petty gripe.

ErMac333

Noob
Considering MK original intent on being a little trash every now and then, Bo sounds pretty much in place, at least a piece much more original and interesting than the monster stereotype which is already present in MK. But that's just me.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I would rather have an Injustice: Gods Among Us 2 instead of more content for Mortal Kombat X. I would prefer them to move on to a next game and fix the issues that MKX had (bad story, boring alternate modes, etc) and THEN support that game with extra content. Also make a good PC port. Imagine what Injustice 2 could be:
  • No variations.
  • GGPO netcode at launch.
  • A good story; not a mediocre one.
  • No DLC shenanigans; pre-order bonus characters, microtransactions, quick unlocks, etc.
  • Better modes for the casual side of things: Tag-Team mode (perfect for a superhero game, could be called "Sidekick Mode" or something), actual challenges like MK9 and Injustice and no Living Towers or whatever, and the return of Kustom Kombat.
  • Another thing that would be good for the casual side of things: Flashier gameplay with the superheroes and transitions and what-not.
  • No stamina meter and "focus" on rush-down gameplay like MKX had. Much more balanced "gameplay types" similar to Street Fighter.
  • A great PC version that has proper support.
  • Another leap in the direction of graphics and soundtrack, which is always nice.
  • Rig the game up with a Seasons model. An entire full game at launch like the rest of NRS' games, but let everyone know there will be multiple season passes and handle them a little better.
  • And last but not least: Just another great superhero game -- which I'm all for.
I guess I would like this because it would be closer to a more "perfect" fighting game. Where as if they would keep support MKX, it would have those same (small and major) issues no matter what. I don't see them making any more story, and I don't see them doing any crazy new modes or whatever, and there is no way they are bringing back the PC version. It would also be awkward to get a ton more content for this game after they did the XL version; which is supposed to be the "Komplete Edition" of the game. Like I mentioned above, they could handle Injustice 2 a lot better in terms of DLC -- at both a "Seasons" standpoint and a "non-shenanigans" standpoint.

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
I think it's sleazy as hell to nerf Tremor's uprock and release Sektor with up missle like that, and I love Sektor.
Erron Black only got nerfed so many times because of Sonic Fox's success. Erron even at his strongest was nowhere near as dumb as Quan, Lao or Tanya at theirs.

I want to know why quan chi's trance got nerfed while all other capture specials did not get their capture time shortened. (i.e. Scorpion spear, sub zero ice ball, cyrax net, Bo rai Cho fart, etc.) All of the others allow for setup or meter build but quan can't anymore because people complained. Can we nerf all the capture times or leave them all the same? If nerfs and buffs are about balance and all.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I want to know why quan chi's trance got nerfed while all other capture specials did not get their capture time shortened. (i.e. Scorpion spear, sub zero ice ball, cyrax net, Bo rai Cho fart, etc.) All of the others allow for setup or meter build but quan can't anymore because people complained. Can we nerf all the capture times or leave them all the same? If nerfs and buffs are about balance and all.
Because sub zero, scorpion, etc don't get to call a bat with a safe hard to blockable or continue it for like 50% damage. Not even close to being comparable.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Because Quan Chi's set-up led to pseudo unblockable bullshit that nobody wants in the game, also, he was by far the strongest character in the game, and needed a nerf, just like all the other top tiers got. Or do you think Quan Chi should have stayed the same while Lao, Cassie, Tanya, Jax, Predator, Tremor, JC, LK, and Jax were all heavily nerfed?

Howevever, with the addition of the triborgs, the change does seem kind of redundant. This Cyborg patch is fucking abysmal

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
This.

By far my most hated MK character of all time.
they had an amazing opportunity to revamp him for MKX as well, leave the jokes for 5 years olds in the past edition, and make bo rai cho the drunken master

I guess they didn't know how to stretch that concept out across 3 different variations tho and instead resorted to the lowest common denominator

Because Quan Chi's set-up led to pseudo unblockable bullshit that nobody wants in the game, also, he was by far the strongest character in the game, and needed a nerf, just like all the other top tiers got. Or do you think Quan Chi should have stayed the same while Lao, Cassie, Tanya, Jax, Predator, Tremor, JC, LK, and Jax were all heavily nerfed?

Howevever, with the addition of the triborgs, the change does seem kind of redundant. This Cyborg patch is fucking abysmal

I was not against any of the nerfs given to any other characters. I knew they were coming as we all did. My thinking is why stop the ability to do hard to blocakbles without meter for Tremor and Quan while totally missing that Cyber Sub and Cyrax can do the exact same hard to blockables? And all of it isn't about hard to block mixups. Some of these characters get to do meter build setups or bomb setups. I play sorcer. Never cared for summoner because I felt it was cheap. But not being able to setup armor during trance but watching Bo RI Cho take a swig or fart before he starts his combo begs the question.

I still play Quan and won't stop, but I feel that these balances aren't done due to character balancing but the result of complaining. I've played many a summoner and took the time to figure out how to block the mixup just like I've done wit cyber sub and cyrax. I'm expecting a patch to complicate this for the trib or charters that can do that just like they did to the others.

And Quan was not the best character in the game. How many majors has he won?? I've seen some top 8s but I never saw a quan chi win any majors.

Are you trying to say that keeping up the drink buff and EX farts are comparable to the value of the recharging armor spell?
No not equal. Just pointing to the benefits given to others. However, I do equate what Cyber sub and cyrax can do to bat summon. That is the exact same thing.

What I'm really trying to get to is that you can't buff or nerf skill through the game. Post nerf, I still win with quan and tremor at the same rate. The problem wasn't the nerf; it's skill. The hard to block mixups didn't make quan chi the best character in the game. We only saw one quan in top 8 at Evo. And he played sorcerer. No bat but was still the best quan player in the tournament.

So we can nerf or buff whatever. Im pretty convinced that ability is what people are truly complaining about.