What's new

Guide - Unbreakable Unbreakable SZ Guide and my thoughts on the character in general.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I
In the interest of not turning this into another buff thread, what is d4 ex aura I do it and d4 aura quite a bit (hey no one knows the matchup so canceling stuff into aura rarely gets punished lol.)
Ikr lol, you are basically free to pop aura at any time, people just tend to freeze (no pun intended)

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
In the interest of not turning this into another buff thread, what is d4 ex aura I do it and d4 aura quite a bit (hey no one knows the matchup so canceling stuff into aura rarely gets punished lol.)
I remember testing it, it wasn't optimal unless it is on hit. I think there is a gap between d4~exiac or its -

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Being that b33 iceball connects , unbreakable doesn't seem like a bad choice at all for the females in the cast. On males it almost doesn't seem worth it to burn a bar for a mix up of exiac because you can't get much for the low option unless you burn another bar.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Being that b33 iceball connects , unbreakable doesn't seem like a bad choice at all for the females in the cast. On males it almost doesn't seem worth it to burn a bar for a mix up of exiac because you can't get much for the low option unless you burn another bar.
True, Unbreakable Sub should be a viable option vs SQ Dvorah but for the given reasons she just wins because of her damage and jumping. It's really hard to poke out of her pressure with his f3,d1,d3 but it's possible. Frost bomb has inconsistent launching properties when she's running her pressure cancels. I need to try the mu more I feel it's close to what gm can do and that's not really saying much for success in this mu.

Goat-City

Banned
I could spell out that in these stages, he should Take less damage, give more damage, take no chip here, get a 1f parry there, gain extra meter while blocking or reduce opponents meter building while blocking but I'm sure that if they did redesign the aura system that they would come up with their own buffs and debuff regardless of what I say. Either way the main point (why it's ideal) would be that he could get more frame traps when applying offense (which I stated) since his defense is risky and doesn't grant rewarding damage.

Some of your buff ideas are fine. I think mine are much better, much simpler, and just a d2 buff alone would save this character from the abyss. If sub were to get universal low poke buffs like a 7f d1 it would make it nearly impossible to get out of the corner against gm. Opponents already have to have really great patience and not whiff their d1 when sub goes for the setup. Last thing they need is to deal with a 7f poke, but hey I'll take it.
And why the hell would you want subs b2 more punishable?
Why though when you can simply buff his existing moves? You think adding entirely new mechanics to the aura that would need to be balanced in their own rights is simpler than making the parry less ridiculously unsafe or giving the aura meter gain on block, with meter being his major problem? And as for it being ideal by giving him more frame traps, how does it do that? Maybe I missed it but can you explain again? Regardless, you'd rather give him offensive frame traps to compensate for his risky low reward defensive tools than make his defensive tools less risky. I disagree because that takes away from the uniqueness of its intended design in an offense based game. They could take your aura idea and it could be fine, but as a suggestion it's random and he could easily be balanced by making his existing moves better via frame data and improved properties than unnecessary new mechanics.

An 8 frame d2 with a trash hit box still isn't as good as a 7 frame jab as an anti air which he already has. Not that I disagree with a useful d2 but he already has a great meterless AA and frost bomb, so it wouldn't do much for him at all. And poke changes are in the context of my Grandmaster changes/nerfs, so I can guarantee you it would not overpower him in any way.

B2 is safe on block for some characters at some distances, and at only -13 it can be hard to punish for some even when it is unsafe. Launching overheads should be consistently unsafe for everyone to punish in a reasonable time frame. Why the hell do you see that as ridiculous? The same should be done for many 50/50 normals in the game, such as Shinnok's b3.

Last edited:

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
The only meter less aura combo I'm aware of is b12~aura~b12~freeze... The start up is too slow to use regular aura for combos.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
B12•aura• 11/242/f33 all combo , not saying it's worth a whole lot but. If I remember correctly going with the 242 rc b12iceburst was just as much damage as the 2 b12 with iceball. Cuz iceball scales so badly with aura

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Regarding meterless AA, I'm liking F3 from certain distances.

Other than that, I think D2 is actually pretty good, you just have to do it a bit early and you won't get stuffed from most JIPs.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Well put together, finally someone has put some honest time in to this variation.
Can't emphasize this enough. A lot of Theory Kombatants around these parts, I am guilty of it occasionally, and it's healthy for the subforums to have actual breakdowns like this. Wish we saw it more often.

Again don't want to steer this into another buff Unbreakable thread but I think it's really a shame the opportunity they missed with this variation. Base Sub needs to have frame data that leaves something to be desired for the sake of keeping GM in check. I feel like they could've ran with that for this variation by allowing normal parry cancels from some key strings to be gapless. You're using Sub's shitty frame data to your advantage by turning the situation into a mixup. Since every meterless parry cancel can be poked out of that's a shame. Can F4~Parry even be poked/reversed out of?

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Can't emphasize this enough. A lot of Theory Kombatants around these parts, I am guilty of it occasionally, and it's healthy for the subforums to have actual breakdowns like this. Wish we saw it more often.

Again don't want to steer this into another buff Unbreakable thread but I think it's really a shame the opportunity they missed with this variation. Base Sub needs to have frame data that leaves something to be desired for the sake of keeping GM in check. I feel like they could've ran with that for this variation by allowing normal parry cancels from some key strings to be gapless. You're using Sub's shitty frame data to your advantage by turning the situation into a mixup. Since every meterless parry cancel can be poked out of that's a shame. Can F4~Parry even be poked/reversed out of?
Im pretty sure if you cancel strings into parry the opponent would recognize it and wait for it to go into recovery and get an easy punish. Especially with f4~parry that would come out so fast they wouldn't have time to react until they realized it's time to punish the parry.

If you meant to say aura you're right. We're using ex aura cancels to get mixups off of certain block strings. The opponent will try to mash a poke or reversal and get hit by your follow up. Once they start trying to armor between ex aura and your follow up that's when you read it and parry as soon as ex aura is finished and the parry will freeze the armored attack.

F4~aura has the same meta as the ex aura cancels

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Im going to hop in here and ask you guys once to please stay on topic...if you have an issue keep it in the pms.

Edit: If you guys cant do this, then we will handle it accordingly and or close the thread.

That is all.
Please don't close thread, it's a very good guide for anyone looking into self harm(Unbreakable), just clean up the trash if you have to.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Im pretty sure if you cancel strings into parry the opponent would recognize it and wait for it to go into recovery and get an easy punish. Especially with f4~parry that would come out so fast they wouldn't have time to react until they realized it's time to punish the parry.
Nah I meant parry. Lemme elaborate. So if you're conditioning your opponents that you're throwing out empty negative strings (whether hitconfirming or what have you) or a string into aura cancels, they may start to get cheeky and punish you on reversal. With string into a gapless parry you could start throwing in a parry on the end of a string to condition them to start respecting your strings, which you gives you free auras or pressure. With it having a gap, they really have no reason to not try to check you with a poke since they low profile you're fastest normal on most meterless cancels. You're right that an empty f4~parry probably would be too fast for the opponents to get what's happening but if you've conditioned them to think a f4 is gonna be followed with an aura then maybe they'll try to armor or poke if they think you're going for b12 pressure. Throwing out parry or a delayed parry if they're waiting to see if the aura is coming and are respecting the pressure, which granted doesn't matter if the parry cancel is gapless or not but nonetheless, could be rewarding. Of course this all comes with risk and parry being so negative would really hinder that gameplan but it's just a shame that it's potentially a smart way to take a character with shitty frame data and give them the ability to use that proactively.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
The problem is if you make the wrong read , u eat there most damaging combo , usually between 35 to 45% if you do freeze them , ur getting like 25% high risk low reward. You just can't win matches like that

Even with the shitty damage a few good buffs could make Unbreakable shine.

I think Parry should function like MK9 Liu Kang's parry. Meaning it would stop all hit levels (including jump normals) except for lows.

Parry also needs less startup frames.