What's new

Guide - Unbreakable Unbreakable SZ Guide and my thoughts on the character in general.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Yeah I think "(starter) xx ice ball, jip, b12 xx aura, 242, run 123 xx slide" is the way to go.

With aura already on, "(starter) xx ice ball, ji2, b2, run b12 xx ice burst" is the jam.
Definitely going to be reworking the combo section soon. There's a few combos I realized after I read this.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Pretty sure all ground teleports get frozen. Can't exactly lab to make sure right now so I'll hold that if I'm wrong

ando1184

Noob
No he won't freeze , scorpions air tele will tho
Maybe it's considering his attack as a projectile type of move? Because it freezes mileena tele kick, Kano ball, and scorpion port but with ermac he can't even parry his soul burst move. So since he's doing mini soul bursts in his teleports it might be treating it the same way? Can someone tell me how to effectively AA with this character? I find that even standing 1 gets stuffed at times and if they're crossing me up I'm stuck respecting their pressure :(?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Maybe it's considering his attack as a projectile type of move? Because it freezes mileena tele kick, Kano ball, and scorpion port but with ermac he can't even parry his soul burst move. So since he's doing mini soul bursts in his teleports it might be treating it the same way? Can someone tell me how to effectively AA with this character? I find that even standing 1 gets stuffed at times and if they're crossing me up I'm stuck respecting their pressure :(?
Stand 1 should catch cross ups. Otherwise low profile with anti-air slide (seriously).

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
@GOL Eklectic, just wanted to say thanks for the write up and info. I've been playing Unbreakable for awhile now and didn't know about the F4~Aura block advantage. That will definitely be a nice tool to have.

Great write up, saw u use him on nwm great stuff. One thing I would like to add if it could happen would be just take away his reduction after freezing his opponent or least scale it down. Cuz the same combo with 5 to 7 % difference after freeze is just way too much for him to be viable. When other people caught someone in reversal they take easily 40% of opponents life away. But we only do half of what others do. Being defense we should definitely have more damage when we caught others mistakes. Simple logic, no one wins a boxing match by getting punch for ten rounds.
Exactly my idea too, to remove damage scaling completely on any type of freeze, being an unbreakable special ofcourse.

I respect that they make Sub a mentalist character and not easy to win with. If he was easy like a lot of characters in this game everybody would play him. I just think with unbreakable it's too hard to use for tough matchups like Dvorah when she can jump around on top of all the other tools she has.
jumping around should be punished tho.. for me practicing different kinds of anti airs, especially standing normals to anti air being the most difficult for it needs you to be ready for them jumping all the time and react quickly before they get the chance to crossover punch or kick you. In case you didn't try it yet

Jeffrey Wolf

Hey @GOL Eklectic, I'm remaking the Unbreakable Combo Guide (you may have seen the meterless section posted already in the Unbreakable combo forum), and I was hoping to use your frame data findings for when I do the EN Aura section later this week. I would of course give you full credit. Would that be okay with you?

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
Just make it so he builds meter while blocking or while getting hit make it so his slide will freeze at all times with the condom on while in a juggle make his ice blast launch with the condom on make it so he can take away the condom without the blast give him a throwable condom that's like a bubble in the air have nerf his jump punches make f4 faster make him parry jump ins but they are in the air when he parrys so now he gotta get a convert. Boom how to make a low dmg char decent oh and while the condoms on freeze attacks do more dmg like cyber subs tennis balls

Jeffrey Wolf

That NIP combo is interesting. The highest I had found before was 25%. It also works off of A2As. Very cool.

As for the B2 combo, I'm only getting 26% using that, and it's only on males or females in the corner.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Great write up man! The amount of dedication you must have to play this character for as long as you did takes a ton of patience. Hopefully NRS saves this guy because he's actually REALLY cool!

n1kosh

Train harder
midscreen b12~df2, NJP (then step) b12,123 slide 28% meterless (Looks nice and meterless punish)
corner: aura active b2 b2 d1 b12~db1 - 35% meterless

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

@n1kosh, there are higher damage options for both of those. Though again, your B12, 123 for NJP starters and A2A starters is optimal and does look cool =)

Jeffrey Wolf

@CrazyFingers, he is really cool. He's also not as bad as someone like Reo makes him out to be (i.e. no winning match ups). He can already win quite a few and with a few tweaks could be very solid.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
I'll throw in my thoughts on what Unbreakable needs. Feel free to give me your feedback on this.

1. Make his db2 be able to parry jump ins.
If we can't have a faster d2, then I feel this will solve the issue of opponents always jumping at him. With this buff, jumping at Unbreakable becomes a mind game of either empty jumping (to which Sub will be able to stand 1 easily), or doing a jp1 (which leads to getting parried).

2. Make his normal parry 4 frames and his ex parry 1 frame.
As it stands, Commano Kano has a much better parry in general, and even Kotal's ex parry is faster than Unbreakable's ex parry. Covert Ops Sonya also has a 6 frame parry like Unbrekable, and that variation isn't even reliant on that. My point is, considering that the parry is one of the only TWO variation specific moves, it would be fair to make it a better threat.

3. Make his parry recover instantly from projectiles.
This is the one that annoys me the most. His parry can negate pretty much every projectile in the game, so obviously NRS wants us to be able to play a defensive game. No problem, right? Problem is, if I negate a projectile with my parry, I still have the horrendous recovery as if I just did a random parry in the neutral. With this buff, I feel like this will help his lack of good meter building, as every projectile that gets thrown his way will get parried for meter and Sub will be safe doing so.

And as a quick side note, I think we can all agree that Sub needs a 7 frame poke. That's just a universal problem of his.

Jeffrey Wolf

I definitely agree about the faster poke. In a game with cancelable specials, it's crazy that everyone doesn't have a quick enough "get off me" move already. Interestingly enough, I'd say that Unbreakable currently has it the best in this department out of the three Sub variations, since he can use his 6 frame Parry to cover this need.

As for the rest:

1) Being able to Parry jump-ins would be definitely be nice, but to make it fair, they'd have to do the same for all other characters with Parry. That's a lot to change and I doubt they will. If anything, I'd hope that they would normalize what can be Parried. For example, why can I Parry one characters Teleport special but not another? This should be the same across the board for all Parries.

2) 6 frames for the regular is fine IMO, as virtually nothing in this game is faster than 6 frames (except some Parries). However, I do agree that his EN Parry should be faster so that it can interrupt gaps in strings like armored moves. The fact that it can't makes it currently pretty pointless.

3) You make the best argument I've heard for why Parry should recover instantly from projectiles (i.e. to help his meter build game), but there are advantages to its current design. Namely, when being rushed down by Kung Lao, who has an Orbiting Hat going, it's great that it doesn't go away, as it stops the Hat and whatever limb KL throws out. Also, since Aura negates chip we don't really need another way to deal with projectiles. So, to me, it's fine as is.

What I'd really like to see, as some other have also mentioned, is a better neutral string for both Unbreakable and Cyro, so they can play better footsies. Beyond that Aura should make him immune to DOT effects. The fact that it doesn't is crazy to me. Unbreakable should be Sub's answer for Acidic! And it would be nice if a few other moves could be canceled into Aura and continue the combo besides only B12. Come on, F4 at the least should work.

Otherwise, I think he's good as is. Fingers crossed they do some of the above.

Fellow_Swordsman

"One mind, one blade."
I do agree to some extent with your argument that his current parry has an advantage when being rushed down by a Kung Lao with an orbiting hat. I don't know how I would change his parry, but I just feel if it recovered instantly from projectiles, that would help him out quite a lot. No chip damage from the aura does help against zoning, but it still doesn't change the fact you're not getting any meter (and I think we can agree Unbreakable is very reliant on meter). The parry I suggest would be of much benefit. As for the being able to parry jump ins, I suggested it because I find my stand 1 being stuffed numerous times, but that's probably just my issue with not being able to anti air properly.